Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
If his off the ball movement is good, it can be less about what he does with the ball rather what he does with out. Rashford has stopped stretching the field off the ball now he thinks he's Ronaldo.

Kapardin

Single game clip. Speed is insane.
Holy shit, this guy could give Usain Bolt a run for his money.:eek:

He looks a bit slender so I hope he doesn't get bullied off the ball. Though the step up from Championship to Premier League isn't really that big, so I hope if we sign him, he can become a starter pretty quick.

This just shows you the value in the current market.

Under Fergie we'd have pillaged Wolves, Everton and anyone else with players looking like they might break into the top 6 and couple play at a higher level. Now those players cost £50m - £70m so we're looking at the players THOSE teams would sign after we take their £70m rated players instead.

Not complaining but I think people should realise that signing's like this are a few seasons and lots of development away from being ready for top tier.
There has always been value in the market,to be fair.
Just because our transfer strategy has been ,frankly,awful shouldn't hide the fact there are hundreds of great signings to be had if you've got a philosophy and foundation to build from.

Ekeke

Well according to distance covered Lingard is our most hardworking player although that doesn't say much as workrate need to be backed by talent. DDG has been by far our best player (apart from this year of course), Id give Pogba another year IF he wants to stay, if not he can feck off. Martial is lazy and we should get rid. Regarding Shaw, I struggle to name more then 7-8 good games from him in all his Man united career with us

I have to agree with Gaz. I don't like this squad very much. Its a frigging race to the bottom.
Running the longest distance isnt the same as hard work. Its a football match not a marathon. You have to be effective with your movements

Adnan

Talent Spotter
For everyone says he's suited to counter attacking because of his pace but Swansea is playing possession-based with high pressing, Leed also plays that style under Bielsa, they desperately want Daniel James.

Daniel James is capable of playing in possession based and counter-attacking. I've seen many good chances created from Pogba were due to Rashford's movement but very few for Martial. That's why I think Daniel James will improve us on the left flank and working his ass off to press high and help Shaw, increasing Pogba's playmaker influence in the third final with James's movement.
Good post and I agree..

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Single game clip. Speed is insane.
I don't know if it's characteristic but the fact that he keeps the ball that close from his feet even when he is sprinting is what I like about this clip. Of course he pushes the ball farther when there is space but the early steps are interesting.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm not sure what is exciting about this kid, he's super fast but I don't see much else in the videos posted, and we are in desperate need of some proven quality, we start unproven players up top every week and they are a shit show, and if we want to use more unproven players we have 3 of them from the academy that are waiting in the wings every week to get a chance.
I am not excited either mainly because I see him as a squad player at best. Having said that, pace is important for a winger. All our most successful wingers were pacey apart from Beckham whose distribution of the ball was inhuman. Kanchelskis was a speed merchant as well and he's the only winger I can think off who could cause problems to Maldini.

Having said that if we're going to get this kid then he must be used as a squad player. Also other squad players must leave to create space for him and the likes of Chong to develop. Its pointless signing this boy up only for him to sit at the stands while the likes of Mata, Sanchez and Lingard are playing.

Cliche Guevara

We don’t have anyone fast as feck on the wing, to get us up the pitch quickly.

I doubt this guy is being signed as our sole saviour, so we’ll need to see who else comes in before determining if we’re doing good business or not.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Swansea fan on reddit

"So you have come to grab our winger. I kind of suspected this would happen because of how highly Giggs rates him".

"I dont throw around the word "world class" generously, but this guy is going to reach that level. At the start of the season we saw his brilliant pace and technique, but also a guy with absolutely zero end product. Slowly but surely through the magic of Graham Potter, Dan James has become more and more efficient in and outside the box. These last months he has caused our opponents several red cards".

"But you know, end product and technique and all that aside; his pace is the truly abnormal thing. I've never seen a quicker footballer, simple as that".

tomaldinho1

More of these types of stories please OGS, younger exciting players who aren't going to cost us £50m+

We need a rebuild so I hope we'll see a few of these players coming in, hungry, dynamic and one or two of them might turn out to be gems

El-Manos

No complaints from me. A buddy of mine who supports Leeds rates him very highly. Says we have a potential star on our hands, if we were to sign him.

BiggusCrickus

Felt like i was watching Usain Bolt leave everybody behind.

I remember seeing Gareth Bale play in the championship and have that kind of pace and ability.

Think Daniel James looks very similar so this could be a great signing

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Swansea fan on reddit

"So you have come to grab our winger. I kind of suspected this would happen because of how highly Giggs rates him".

"I dont throw around the word "world class" generously, but this guy is going to reach that level. At the start of the season we saw his brilliant pace and technique, but also a guy with absolutely zero end product. Slowly but surely through the magic of Graham Potter, Dan James has become more and more efficient in and outside the box. These last months he has caused our opponents several red cards".

"But you know, end product and technique and all that aside; his pace is the truly abnormal thing. I've never seen a quicker footballer, simple as that".
:drool:

dove

I don't mind signing 1-2 players like him every summer. I just hope we sign him because we believe in his football abilities and further development, not purely based on pace and nationality. He won't be our main LW, I suspect he will mainly feature in EL and league cup. Marquee signings never work for us, we should get back to buying players who fit into the system, not because of their name.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Holy shit, this guy could give Usain Bolt a run for his money.:eek:

He looks a bit slender so I hope he doesn't get bullied off the ball. Though the step up from Championship to Premier League isn't really that big, so I hope if we sign him, he can become a starter pretty quick.
Ryan Sessegnon found it difficult to be fair and I’d rather we signed him if anyone.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
15 millions is pretty much 5-7 million from 2005. It's a miniscule fee you pay for cheap punts these days so without having seen the player I don't see the real issue. It's pittance in the grand scheme of things.

Also it seems the kid is rapid. For a cheap deal, that's a nice positive to have

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Ryan Sessegnon found it difficult to be fair and I’d rather we signed him if anyone.
Fulham probably was a difficult environment for an up and coming player this year to be honest given all their managerial upheaval.

Flytan

I like that he runs at players. Minimal financial risk, hope this is an extra signing though and not one of the 5-6 that we need to transform the squad.

Spielmacher

If 15m are the correct fee, we probably would have paid even more if his contract wasn't running out in 2020.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
15 millions is pretty much 5-7 million from 2005. It's a miniscule fee you pay for cheap punts these days so without having seen the player I don't see the real issue. It's pittance in the grand scheme of things.

Also it seems the kid is rapid. For a cheap deal, that's a nice positive to have
Exactly, and if he doesn't work out a lower premier league team will buy him on his pace alone. We will at least get our money back.

R'hllor

Nothing against this type of signing in general, 15 mil. isnt much in today`s marker, actually its even crazy saying that. In worst case scenario, he will fail with us and we can sell him somewhere else for X amount (sadly we all know of our superpower of not getting much in plus when reselling players)

My issue is, this type of signing mixed with us as football club. To explain better, few nights ago during CL game vs Barca, i saw many posts roasting Coutinho and that reminded me of his price, how much Liverpool spent, it was 13 mil. of something dunno was it euros or pounds and they sold him for 10 times more but for that they actually improved him as a player or gave him platform to improve and raised his value for X times, so when Barca wanted him, they had to pay almost 10 times more.

So back to us, since SAF, when was the last time we done something similar and thats where lies my issue with this type of singing at the moment. In our current state we are able to drop level of performances of best players on the planet if they would join us tomorrow.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We paid more to sack Mourinho.

His pace is absolutely scary, even if he's used as an impact sub could you imagine him with 15 left in an end to end match? He could be deadly.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Cheapish punt on a talented young player who could make the step up. All for it.

Based Adnan

Reminds me of the Nick Powell signing. I hope I’m proven wrong. But, from Sancho to James is a tad worrying.
Nick Powell was a wonderful talent and a coup at the time. His godawful attitude and approach to the game let him down but it was the right type of signing.

Phil Osophy

Very interesting signing. Potential, low risk, and gives us some depth on the wings, where we don't have actual dynamic wingers at all. Get it done.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Looks to be worth a punt - equally its not quite as exciting as hearing we have agreed a deal with Sancho or Joao

if nothing else his pace coming off the bench at the end of a game would be enough to terrify a fair few fullbacks in the premier league

Ciddy

See, that's how you counter attack. Not give it to Martial who slows it down and waits for the opposition to get back and then try to beat your man.

Zed 101

People (media) regularly refer to depth of squad, quality of the bench etc.... often refrring to our bench being full of stars, I would disagree, last 10 matches or so the options Ole has had from the bench are useless in terms of changing things up when he needed something.

At the very least this guy would improve our sub, for 15 mil that is probably a good deal, especially as he could kick on into being something greater

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Sounds great. We don't only need a first-choice right-winger, but we need a talentet squad-member as well. If James can be a good option to keep us having a attacking outlet when the first choice is injured or in need of a rest, and he can develop on top of that then it's a perfect case scenario.

I worry a tiny bit that it means Chong as one of only two wingers as he's been very underwhelming with his limited minutes and could do with being loaned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.