Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macern

Pee pee pants
Had a look at the Swansea subreddit to see what their opinions of him was. This seems to be the consensus:

-Obviously rapid, he’s at his best when given space to exploit his pace
-Can be very good at both crossing and shooting, but also very inconsistent
-Two footed, can play as a striker as well as on both sides
-Works very hard. Very professional (he was close to joining Leeds in January, but after the deal fell through he didn’t whine or anything, in fact he has actually improved a lot since then)
-He might do well for us, but people are not sure if he’ll be an improvement right now on what we already have. Hard to tell obviously because he hasn’t played in the Premier League yet

£10-15m seems to be the price. I’m all for it. I don’t think we should expect that much of him straight away if he joins. He’s young and not the finished product. But the potential seems to be there so why not have a punt at him for that price.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
What language is this, Welsh? I have never heard Welsh spoken continuously for a couple of minutes before so my interaction with it is extremely limited.
It's Danish it sounds like something is stuck in their throat when they speak.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
No nationality makes you automatically homegrown.
No English/Welsh player is 'automatically considered homegrown'. In fact nationality in isolation is irrelevant. English/Welsh players are in 99% of cases considered homegrown because they spend at least 36 months between age 15-21 at English/Welsh clubs. If they don't they won't be considered homegrown. Take for example Sancho, if he hasn't spent 36 months at English clubs by age 21 he won't be considered homegrown in England (just using him as an example, I haven't done the calculations so he may already be considered homegrown).

Ironically Solskjær had trouble with the homegrown quota last summer. He bought back Magnus Eikrem (born and raised in Molde) but in the homegrown world he's considered English (because he spent his years between 15-21 at United) so he had to be registered as a 'foreigner' for Molde. They then had to sell a real foreigner.
Yes, automatic was the wrong word in relation to the nationality of the player, well spotted. The point being made was that a Welsh club is equivalent to an English club, unlike one from Scotland or the Irelands.

AgentSquirrel

That doesn't sound very good
4 positive, 4 negative. Sounds about right for any football forum. It's his first season of first team football. It's only ever going to be potential that you can judge him on and people can never agree on what potential is. For United, it's a case of 'might as well'. He's not being bought to be a first teamer right away.

Loublaze

ATLien
David Bellion looked faster than this guy, just saying. I need to see more than just a sprinter playing football

Jezpeza

Terrible idea. We should buy a third of Perisic instead
Indeed. I see lots of posts of how we should sign wan bissaka, skriniar, rice, fernandes, sancho and jovic etc in one window. I’d love that but no one has done the maths - thats about 400 million quid of players. Not going to happen.

I dont think people think rightly - we are not going to sign four players and that alone turn us into treble contenders.

We need to sign players like james and think where we will be in 3-5 years time. Its a medium term project to sort things out here and people need to subscribe to that.
The mega signing strategy has not benefitted us for 6 years now and wont
Work this year either

Acole9

Outstanding
Jesus Christ. Nothing against a bit of blind optimism but that’s just delusional. Mane and Lucas? Really? Mane who was by far the best player for Salzburg who then went to Southampton and was their best player? Or Lucas who was considered one of the best Brasilian talents of his age? I wanted both of them. But this guy? I guess only 1% of people who post on here have ever seen him or even heard about him. Me neither. But you can’t compare him to the likes of Mane or Lucas at all. A guy that’s 20 and playing for some second fiddle team.
You're missing the point, I'm not comparing him to those two players. I'm comparing all the moaning and groaning to it.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Done deal lads.
This is totally off topic but imagine if twitter was a thing in the 90s and a fan told a young Keane or Neville to delete something as innocent as that tweet. We live in a strange world.

C'est Moi Cantona

Barely a ripple in the tsunami we need this summer, but would be nice all the same.

Although most fans are only so keen on players like this purely because it's something different from the, unmotivated, overpaid, monstrosities, we've been buying recently, is just blind hope that'll it'll actually work out though.

Nick7

This is totally off topic but imagine if twitter was a thing in the 90s and a fan told a young Keane or Neville to delete something as innocent as that tweet. We live in a strange world.
To be fair it was just a joke by yer man

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Thought he was a right winger ffs. We desperately need a right sided forward.

The White Pele

• Best years ahead of him
  • Rapid
  • Natural width
  • Can play on either side
  • Low risk, not breaking the bank
What’s not to like. Finally some common sense transfer activity?

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
If Ed continues dilly-dallying with this James transfer we risk losing him.
Fecking close this transfer as quickly as possible !

robinrooney

Indeed. I see lots of posts of how we should sign wan bissaka, skriniar, rice, fernandes, sancho and jovic etc in one window. I’d love that but no one has done the maths - thats about 400 million quid of players. Not going to happen.

I dont think people think rightly - we are not going to sign four players and that alone turn us into treble contenders.

We need to sign players like james and think where we will be in 3-5 years time. Its a medium term project to sort things out here and people need to subscribe to that.
The mega signing strategy has not benefitted us for 6 years now and wont
Work this year either
Sell Pogba, Lukaku, Martial. At least £150-180m there. Also, buy off Sanchez contract so he can sign elsewhere. Millions saved in wages. Herrera/Mata gone so wages there to spend. Dump Young/Jones/Rojo. More wages saved.

Promote Garner/Greenwood/Chong

BUY BUY BUY

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To be fair it was just a joke by yer man
It was but it's based on previous events where for some reason people will go back and look at your tweets and try to use everything against you. I wonder how these type of characters would have reacted, today public figures need to have a lot of self control even at 20-21 years old.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
25 pages, paraphrased as "he looks fast but that's no good against teams that sit back as they do against us. Don't want.... and I've never watched him play"

Teams have 6/7/8 players back because we take so long to move the ball forward. De Gea holds it for a few seconds (while he sighs at not conceding), Smalling gets it/turns 90º (so he can pass it on his 'good' foot), then Matic holds on to it for ages and hopes he isn't caught on the ball .... no wonder teams can defend in numbers. They've had 20 seconds to jog back.

Having a pace option/outlet is useful to have - that doesn't mean James is definitely the answer but I wouldn't rule him out because pace is useless to our team. It isn't.

Is James the finished article? No.

Is he useless/a waste of £15m. I don't know, I've only seen his Championship highlights and the Wales game in March (when he scored).. .. and neither does any fan here.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Yeah because what we need is really some squad players. We have very few of them!!!
Didn't talk about what we need, you predicted him as being either a massive flop or a huge success and I don't like fans boxing in players that way.

Also, we really don't have good hungry squad options.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Sell Pogba, Lukaku, Martial. At least £150-180m there. Also, buy off Sanchez contract so he can sign elsewhere. Millions saved in wages. Herrera/Mata gone so wages there to spend. Dump Jones/Rojo. More wages saved.

Promote Garner/Greenwood/Chong

BUY BUY BUY
I like the buy buy buy bit but if we pay off Sanchez's contract (which he'd want in full), not sure how that saves money? We've just spent the same but quicker?

And unfortunately, Jones has a new contract.... the only way we dump him is pay off (cost) or sell (:lol:)

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
David Bellion looked faster than this guy, just saying. I need to see more than just a sprinter playing football
He's obviously more than just a sprinter.

united for life

The first thing that comes to my mind is that this signing (if it happens) is one of a player who has been scouted and picked by the manager. It’s not an Ed Woodward signing. It’s not a panic buy. Seen a couple of videos, read a bit and he looks exciting. Better than buying another sanchez i guess. Let’s take it easy and rebuilt slowly. Fingers crossed

Godfather

You're missing the point, I'm not comparing him to those two players. I'm comparing all the moaning and groaning to it.
It’s not comparable though. Back then we missed out on two of the best talents around.

Big Andy

Bloke
Does Ole still think he’s Cardiff manager?
Jesus. State of this post.

We’ve signed players from lower leagues before and they’ve worked out well.

You can’t just go out and buy the galactico big names all the time.

el3mel

Didn't talk about what we need, you predicted him as being either a massive flop or a huge success and I don't like fans boxing in players that way.

Also, we really don't have good hungry squad options.
We need players that go straight into the starting eleven. Signing more squad options mediocre players isn't going to take us any far.

Though I said clearly I knew very little of him but these championship signings usually end up as an unexpected success or a flop.

Status
Not open for further replies.