6.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

XdanielredX

Spain coach Del Bosque: Man Utd keeper De Gea deserved chance

Spain coach Vicente del Bosque was happy to hand Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea a debut in defeat to France.

Del Bosque went with De Gea ahead of Real Madrid captain Iker Casillas.

The coach said: “De Gea did well, we are all happy with him.

"We needed to give him a run-out and we took advantage of this game to field him in a big game."

Bout time.

ricky-romeo

one thing about de gea that i hope he can improve is his dominance inside his own box. it seems that he rarely goes beyond his six yard box to collect the ball and ending up with one of our defenders needing to make unnecessary rash clearance when they got pressed by the oppositions.

apart from that he has been one of our best performer for the last 2 years and deserves a much more reliable cover infront of him. oh and a new contract too.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Won't be surprised if Casillas just strolls back into the starting line-up under Del Bosque. Even at Real, they ditched a better goalkeeper in Diego Lopez and now have Navas in the wings waiting for his chance... Really wish they would go forward and give De Gea a run in the first team. Hopefully, Del Bosque proves me wrong but there is just too much politics involved in such a move ala Raul being dropped in 2008.

Mindhunter

one thing about de gea that i hope he can improve is his dominance inside his own box. it seems that he rarely goes beyond his six yard box to collect the ball and ending up with one of our defenders needing to make unnecessary rash clearance when they got pressed by the oppositions.

apart from that he has been one of our best performer for the last 2 years and deserves a much more reliable cover infront of him. oh and a new contract too.
He has massively improved that part of his game since he has come here. Also, his decision making is one of the best in the league.

Maroo

I remember a point in the Burnley game where he played sweeper keeper a.l.a. Neuer/Lloris. He came out to help the defense well outside the box and swept the ball. I think this was one aspect missing from his game as the 'modern keeper' and clearly he seems to have worked on it. I don't think Courtois has that aspect to his game (Not that he needed it in Atletico). But with LVG playing a high line, this facet of his game will be good to see.

RedRevongge

Excellent news. Outstanding keeper and in my opinion will be up there with the likes of Schmeichel and VDS as a world class keeper at United over my lifetime

Redo91

Unfortunately I can't. My Times account is suspended for money reasons and everytime I try renewing my subscription the site errors out.
No worries. That sounds pretty strange. Maybe if try setting up a new account altogether it might work then. Thanks anyhow.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Nothing on the times website about a new contract.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Guessing you'll all be more interested to know than me, but del Bosque has confirmed that Iker starts tomorrow...so no de Gea.

Redo91

Guessing you'll all be more interested to know than me, but del Bosque has confirmed that Iker starts tomorrow...so no de Gea.
:lol: Such a joke. Spanish fans must be relieved that Xavi retired as otherwise he would still be in the starting XI.

justboy68

I wonder whether he's been working in training on coming out more and commanding the box as he's normally pretty tight to his line? It clearly doesn't come naturally to him though, could lead to a few mistakes like yesterday.

Maroo

I wonder whether he's been working in training on coming out more and commanding the box as he's normally pretty tight to his line? It clearly doesn't come naturally to him though, could lead to a few mistakes like yesterday.
It looks like it given the high line which LVG wants to play. It certainly doesn't come naturally to him, just like say Courtois

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Not playing behind a settled defence hasn't really helped much and would go to explain some of the shakiness. Still, 2 clean sheets in a row is a good start.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Got away with a brain fart but saved smartly in the second half. Top class 'keeper, hopefully with Blind screening the defence he'll receive more protection, the poor bastard has been completely overworked during his period with the club.

Kag

De Gea doesn't like coming out and has always been fairly hesitant when it comes to this kind of thing. Perhaps we're actively trying to change that. If we are, if it leads to the odd error like yesterday then that won't be too surprising.

We sometimes forget just how young he is. If he can add the odd string or two to his bow then the better. His starting position and alertness to the ball over the top is the best place to start.

NK86

Any updates on how the contract negotiations are going on? Just tie him down for 8 years ffs! Tell him he can bang Ed's wife if he wants to before he signs the contract.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Everything on target is going in. Not good at all. Not blaming him for the goals but he hasn't been saving much.

Count Orduck

He hasn't given a shit since Moyes took over. Last year killed his enthusiasm; he doesn't want to be here any more, and it couldn't be more obvious.

binary bot
Are you guys serious? 2 penalties and 3 goals right in the corner

van Persie

I don't know what's up with him but he should at least try to make a save sometimes. He's can't be in shock everytime as he's been lately.

NoWinNoFee

kietotheworld mk2
Probably going against the usual opinion here of 'he's class' but does he ever save?

Lately (and the back end of last season) it seems, whenever the opposition have a shot, the ball goes in the net, sometimes goalkeepers get you out of messes and mistakes by defenders, with De Gea it seems all mistakes are punished.
^^^
Said this about him end of August and i'll say it again.

The guy, for a 'supposedly' top goalkeeper, one of the best in the world (a few people say on here).

He never makes a save, it's like every shot the opposition have *bang* goal, even if its 25 yards out - When the Leicester player was clean through, you just knew it was going to be a goal, he doesn't get you out of messes.