Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

izec

2 years ago he saves that. I know people dont want to blame him for that, but lets be honest, a top keeper saves that all day long. It isnt a mistake per se, but you expect more, just reflects ofnhis performances nowadays. Even in his current state, he still got a hand on it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
2 years ago he saves that. I know people dont want to blame him for that, but lets be honest, a top keeper saves that all day long. It isnt a mistake per se, but you expect more, just reflects ofnhis performances nowadays. Even in his current state, he still got a hand on it.
Not entirely sure, it's a good FK. He can't save all of those, that's peak performance saving. 7/10 a keepers not saving that, that's why it's so impressive when he did.

El Zoido

He might save one next week. No goalkeeper will save that every time.

Hughes35

I think a top keeper saves that TBH. He's not himself recently. Not awful but not great.

Imagine being a team that has a reliable free kick taker and seeing good goals from set pieces though. Can't believe I look at teams like West Ham, Southampton and Palace with such envy.

UncleBob

Mental

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Selective memory i suppose. One year ago he was considered (and rightly so) one of the main reasons we finished 2nd, Mourinho hailed him as the best keeper in the world and expected him to sign a new contract imminently, thanking him and his agent for not making a fuss about his contract situation. Something he repeated in november 2018 as well.

And it's not like the majority of the big doors were closed either.

It would have been a bit more interesting if one of the other pundits asked Mourinho why De Gea went from basically signing the contract at the start of the season, to the point of considering a move abroad shortly after, but hey.

Unfortunately we were hardly in an ideal situation to tell De Gea to sod off with his demands. There's still several big clubs that would hardly turn down the chance to sign him, especially on a free, Juventus anyone ? We'd have to pay an obscene transfer fee to replace him, and it's not like that guarantees us anything.
Its simple negotiations. Jose is saying that DDG didnt have all the top clubs chasing him at that point. So we should have been able to negotiate better.

What he misses out is that we have already been giving out silly contracts to the likes of Martial and Rashford etc. So that also hurts our negotiating position.

We are bad negotiators also it needs to change

Last edited:

UncleBob

Its simple negotiations. Jose is saying that DDG didnt have all the top clubs chasing him at that point. So we should have been able to negotiate better.

What he misses out is that we have already been giving out silly contracts to the likes of Martial and Rashford etc. So that also hurts our negotiating position.

It's simple for simple people, i suppose.

Just off the top of my head:
The interesting question is, would there be a lack of big clubs lining up to get De Gea on a free transfer? and the answer is not really. Juventus ? PSG ? It's not like Courtois have been doing all that well at Real Madrid either.

Secondly, what would it cost us to replace him ? Well, given the fees that Liverpool and City forked out for their goalkeepers, a lot. Not to mention the timing, we still have to spend a small fortune on other more crucial areas, like signing midfielders, attacking players and a bare minimum of one defender. Spending a fortune on a goalkeeper would limit how much money we'd have available for other positions, not to mention that it's unlikely that we'd get a new goalkeeper on relatively low wages.

A fair guess would be to say that the contract we gave Sanchez, not Rashford and Martial, is the one that shafted us in terms of future negotiations.

dev1l

I think that replacing DeGea would have cost around 70m + 200K per week wages. Over 4 years that's around 110 million.

If his contract is at 375K per week, that s around 72 million over 4 years.

So.from a financial perspective it made sense

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
There were extremely few complaints about his general form last season, up until the point where he started making the obvious mistakes.
It was fairly obvious all last season that his performances were nowhere near as good as they had been for the previous five or so seasons. He had that Spurs match which was up there amongst his best ever, but otherwise he was disappointing by his own very high standards. At first people assumed that it was just a small patch of average form (which he actually did for the first couple months of 17/18 as well before coming good), but it just continued all season before he completely fell apart in the last couple of months.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City

I agree but how do you change it ? You can't give one kid candy without the others wanting some. Manchester have raised the bar for wages and players know the will get crazy money when playing there. In truth it doesn't really matter as long as the team is winning but makes it difficult to move players when changes need to be made.

Cassidy

I agree but how do you change it ? You can't give one kid candy without the others wanting some. Manchester have raised the bar for wages and players know the will get crazy money when playing there. In truth it doesn't really matter as long as the team is winning but makes it difficult to move players when changes need to be made.
Stop doing it. Let players go if they moan and want a move.
It isn't so bad with De Gea, however we are going to have some trouble shifting Rashford is he doesn't live up to the hype in a couple of seasons

Based Adnan

That got rewarded with a 290k a week 4 year deal. What kind of message does that send out?

jasT1981

Utd have confirmed Goalkeeper coach Emilio Alvarez has left the club

https://twitter.com/DiscoMirror

Solskjaer said “I would like to thank Emilio for all his help and hard work since my return to the club. We all wish him well for the future." Alvarez said “I will always be proud of belonging to this club. Wishing you every success in your endeavours.” #MUFC
I wonder how this will affect De Gea.

Cassidy

I think that replacing DeGea would have cost around 70m + 200K per week wages. Over 4 years that's around 110 million.

If his contract is at 375K per week, that s around 72 million over 4 years.

So.from a financial perspective it made sense
Ajax keeper Onana wouldn't have cost anywhere near that

Cassidy

True but he doesn't inspire me. But that's my opinion and I don't watch him every week
My general point is we don't have to buy a keeper which costs 70m to replace DDG. In fact DDG lack of command of the box and poor distribution you could probably replace him and lose some of the shot stopping but have more suited keeper all round for not a lot of money.

Depends how we want to play though

el3mel

Amazing save in the first half, otherwise we would have lost this 2-0.

Renegade

Wonder what these last 6 years have done to his mindset.

Great double save today.

Sylar

Thought he did well a few times when he came out and just claimed the ball. Want to see him do more of that.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thought he did well a few times when he came out and just claimed the ball. Want to see him do more of that.
I thought the same, he's struggled with that for a while so it was good to see.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He had a good game. Came out off his line several times too. Some dodgy passes but he did what Gk suppose to do very well.

El-Manos

Much better. Delighted his contract is sorted now. Hopefully this will spur him to regain his top form and become Spain’s number 1 goalkeeper again.

LInkash

Sacking off his goalkeeper coach buddy seemed to have worked out...

Irwin99

Looking a little bit more like his old self again. Good to see.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Apart from smacking Auba(?) in the head with that clearance that gave me a heart attack I think he was good.
What you on about? That was his best moment :p

RonaldoVII

Can't blame him for that one. The defence should've stopped the attack long before it got to that stage and Maguire just let him shoot without trying to close him down. Anything hard and low would skid off the surface, as it did.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
His interview is painful. He's having to say 'keep fighting' over and over because he has no answers, nobody does.

Status
Not open for further replies.