Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

PitTon

Come at me but his distribution for the second Leeds goal was farcical. He regularly puts us under pressure with appalling kicks straight into our own half.
If you consider everything happening at that moment, the decision to make that far kick (and very off target) was very hard for me to understand. I didn't know why he did it and seconds later they scored.

Mcking

Did anyone notice that he was going long with his passes? I mean when there was plenty of space between him and the centre backs, he passed to them, but almost everytime there was a Leeds player around, he went long.

I think it was part of the reasons why we were able to advance play easily. Leeds players were far worse physically than ours, we bullied them and our forwards were winning duels for fun. I don't know if that is what we will be doing from now or if it was specifically for Leeds, but it certainly worked.

Never understood the point of passing between CBs and goalkeeper in the box when it is clearly not working and the opposition are positioned high to exploit that exactly. It backfired against Sheffield United and it wasn't the first time.

It's also one of the reasons we start games slowly. While our players spend the first five to ten minutes trying to figure out how to move the ball from the goalkeeper to the forwards, the opposition seize the opportunity to get all over us.

We were able to blow Leeds away just by the keeper going longer with his passes. Think him and Henderson should do something similar in every game rather than fanning around in our penalty box at the start of games.

Leicester 2:2 Man Utd

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I look forward the day he leaves. His gameplay is irritating.

There is no control of his box, no control of his defenders.

I want a keeper like Van Der Sar.

arnie_ni

I look forward the day he leaves. His gameplay is irritating.

There is no control of his box, no control of his defenders.

I want a keeper like Van Der Sar.
What are we blaming him for now? McTominay not closing Barnes down or 2 defenders letting vardy get free in the box?

Or maybe rashford missing 2 sitters

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The ball passed back to him did have a bobble but the way he dealt with it was like he had rickets. The fact he can't command his area is a problem because the team just get deeper and deeper.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
No howlers but neither shot was unstoppable
What? The shot from vardy was going wide and took a deflection. Shot from Barnes wasn't covered from McTominay and Bailly unsighted De Gea.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
What are we blaming him for now? McTominay not closing Barnes down or 2 defenders letting vardy get free in the box?

Bizarre isn't it? fecking sick of it.

POF

He should have saved Barnes' shot. On his near post and basically the only side Barnes could hit it. A top keeper saves that comfortably.

In games like these, those are crucial mistakes.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Wasn't at fault for either goal. Criticising him just for the sake of criticising him just makes people look stupid. Bizarre that his thread is one of the first bumped.

Bebestation

What @Lay said - he invites pressure because he doesnt control the box.

When Henderson plays in goal he makes mistake yet the defenders know he comes out so they step out as much as the half way line as we saw against Everton.

I just think De Gea has so many weaknesses to his game covered by one strength which is slowly becoming average.

Robaldo

What? The shot from vardy was going wide and took a deflection. Shot from Barnes wasn't covered from McTominay and Bailly unsighted De Gea.
Neither were howlers, but you can't say the Barnes shot was unstoppable? The Vardy shot also ended up in the middle of his goal.

arnie_ni

It's mental.

He was getting blamed for the Southampton goal from the corner then Henderson let an identical one in the next game and crickets.

It's clear bias.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Our fanbase currently mate. De Gea getting pelters in here and Ole getting pelters in the other thread. Joke.

arnie_ni

What @Lay said - he invites pressure because he doesnt control the box.

When Henderson plays in goal he makes mistake yet the defenders know he comes out so they step out as much as the half way line as we saw against Everton.

I just think De Gea has so many weaknesses to his game covered by one strength which is slowly becoming average.
So you want your gk to come out and control the box for that goal vardy scored and do the defenders job for them?

You want him to pressure Harvey Barnes at the edge of the box?

Or how else does controlling his box stop the 2 goals.

Your making up complete bull today

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Neither were howlers, but you can't say the Barnes shot was unstoppable? The Vardy shot also ended up in the middle of his goal.
After a massive deflection. feck off.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not at fault for the goals, but the DDG who makes insane saves that amazes you is gone. Makes good/great saves at time, but not the same level he was.

Bebestation

So you want your gk to come out and control the box for that goal vardy scored and do the defenders job for them?

I said he didnt control his box and control his defenders - because Bailly and Maguire knew De Gea was not coming out on any type of cross they instantly when deeper on the cross. That happens absolutely all the time.

If you dont see it then that's fine.

Keep enjoying your bull.

arnie_ni

I said he didnt control his box and control his defenders - because Bailly and Maguire knew De Gea was not coming out on any type of cross they instantly when deeper on the cross. That happens absolutely all the time.

If you dont see it then that's fine.

Keep enjoying your bull.
Oh right so they scored from 2 crosses today that de gea should have claimed? Gotcha

Lay

Wasn't directed at me but, there's more to goalkeeping than just saving shots. I don't blame him for the goals as the defenders backed off far too much. The problem I have is, when we are under the cosh, we get further and further back because DDG isn't the type of goalkeeper who ventures off his line. If we were a least 5 yards more forward, we might not concede the chances we concede.

The defenders aren't great, you can point maybe that Maguire's lack of pace also makes us retreat way more than we should. But DDG contributes to this. I would love to have a goalkeeper who comes off his line and sweeps up.

arnie_ni

Wasn't directed at me but, there's more to goalkeeping than just saving shots. I don't blame him for the goals as the defenders backed off far too much. The problem I have is, when we are under the cosh, we get further and further back because DDG isn't the type of goalkeeper who ventures off his line. If we were a least 5 yards more forward, we might not concede the chances we concede.

The defenders aren't great, you can point maybe that Maguire's lack of pace also makes us retreat way more than we should. But DDG contributes to this. I would love to have a goalkeeper who comes off his line and sweeps up.
None of which had any effect on today's game at all.

We lost the ball at the edge of our box and didn't pressure Barnes, goal.

We feel asleep in midfield and centre back not tracking vardy, goal.

They didn't even have a sniff otherwise. It was individual mistakes cost us this game.

Bebestation

Oh right so they scored from 2 crosses today that de gea should have claimed? Gotcha
No read what I said - if he was a goal keeper that comes out of his line like Henderson is, the CB'S dont always drop so deep on a cross to always fall back like they are providing cover to protect the damn goal line.

Anyway sure. Love De Gea the guy is the future of our defence and doesnt defect our defenders like today. Gotcha.

Lay

None of which had any effect on today's game at all.
I disagree. I think there were times we were too far back and it leads to the team starting from further back than they should be, did it lead to goals? Maybe not, but it effects our overall game. Do you feel it isn't a problem? That DDG is fine not coming off his line?

arnie_ni

I disagree. I think there were times we were too far back and it leads to the team starting from further back than they should be, did it lead to goals? Maybe not, but it effects our overall game. Do you feel it isn't a problem? That DDG is fine not coming off his line?
Hes never came of his line, never has and never will. Its not a new issue, if you were ok with it 5 years why complain now.

It had no outcome on the game.

Mcking

He gets beaten at his near post far too much for my liking. Good shot from Barnes though.

arnie_ni

No read what I said - if he was a goal keeper that comes out of his line like Henderson is, the CB'S dont always drop so deep on a cross to always fall back like they are providing cover to protect the damn goal line.

Anyway sure. Love De Gea the guy is the future of our defence and doesnt defect our defenders like today. Gotcha.
And how did any of that effect the goals today?

It didn't

Borys

Statistics Wizard
At this point if we don't expect him to save Barnes-kind of shots, we might as well gave Henderson a shot, no?

Also, what's the point in paying goalkeeper crazy wages if you don't expect him to do any better than average shot stopper?

Lay

Hes never came of his line, never has and never will. Its not a new issue, if you were ok with it 5 years why complain now.

It had no outcome on the game.
We were ok with it because he was superman back then. It's a problem now and 5 years is a long time in football. To say it had no outcome on the game is bonkers. As every position, where they are placed, where they start etc that all effects outcomes of games.

Lay

At this point if we don't expect him to save Barnes-kind of shots, we might as well gave Henderson a shot, no?

Also, what's the point in paying goalkeeper crazy wages if you don't expect him to do any better than average shot stopper?
This. Highest paid goalkeeper in the world I think and he can't come off his line. Yet this isn't a problem for some people :lol:

Siezard

Both goals were deflected in at high speed so can't blame De Gea for not being able to save them.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
This. Highest paid goalkeeper in the world I think and he can't come off his line. Yet this isn't a problem for some people :lol:
It was always his weak spot so I'm not critical of that aspect. However, he was given this contract for being top top shot stopper. I have no problem with paying him huge money if he delivers.

However, it seems strange to defend him like "well, most keepers wouldn't save that". Well most keepers are doing better than him this season so we need to consider that also.

RuudtheRed

Crazy to blame him for either goal.

The first one was an exocet by Barnes with no support from his defenders. McTominay probably did the right thing showing Barnes on to his left foot, but should have gotten tighter all the same. Bailly with a woeful attempt to block the shot thereafter.

The second goal was a mix up between Fred and Shaw to allow the cross, Bailly switching off and not tracking Vardy, and Tuanzebe haplessly deflecting it past DDG at close range.

Was lucky to get away with the awful pass under pressure from Vardy in the first half though.

Status
Not open for further replies.