Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Until you look deeper into that run of games. At Chelsea we defended deep which is what suits De Gea's game best because the it means the defenders are better placed for crosses and there simply aren't the balls in behind to deal with, allowing him to focus on the one thing he's good at (which I don't seem to remember he had to do a lot of being it was a dreadful game). De Gea was at fault for two goals in the Everton game, should have collected the crosses West Brom and Newcastle scored from, was in no mans land from a corner for Sheffield United's first goal, etc. He had been in abysmal form leading up to his spell out of the team.

I'm not sure why you've only looked at Premier League games but contrast the 8 games on the bounce Henderson played with the previous 8 games De Gea played. 4 goals conceded vs 7. 6 wins (inc City & Spurs away by the way) vs 3. The statistics across all competitions were even more blatant.
We played a defensive game against City too when we won 2-0 with Henderson in goal. We had 34% possession and conceded 23 shots. I don't really remember us ever playing with high defensive line under Ole.

I'm not defending De Gea, he was godawful in that season actually. Just don't think the defense wasn't that bad statistically except for that Everton game. 3 out of those 7 goals came in that one game, but the rest were fine.

De Gea was good last season in my opinion though.

GazTheLegend

People are bumping the Henderson thread for example, but Henderson made it clear that he was out the door before ETH even landed. Not much he could do about that.
It's just an example of another shambolic summer though is it not? We let our 2nd choice keeper (who was first choice until covid) leave - for nothing basically, without replacement. Whatever people think of Henderson (who has this knack despite "not being rated by the caf" of keeping clean sheets and saving 'easy' penalties sigh), he should have remained to push de Gea on. If the hierarchy wanted him gone he should have been replaced - like they should replace Pogba Lingard etc. But here we are, worse than last season somehow. Criminal, as Henderson put it himself.

JB7

We played a defensive game against City too when we won 2-0 with Henderson in goal. We had 34% possession and conceded 23 shots. I don't really remember us ever playing with high defensive line under Ole.

I'm not defending De Gea, he was godawful in that season actually. Just don't think the defense wasn't that bad statistically except for that Everton game. 3 out of those 7 goals came in that one game, but the rest were fine.

Of course we were, every team will play defensive to win a game the point I'm making is that if you are going to get the best out of De Gea you have to defend deep. If you push up it creates gaps between the goalkeeper and defence because he does not cover those gaps, balls in behind and crosses into the box are left to defenders every time without fail whereas they were more comfortable in front of Henderson (and Romero for that matter) because they did cover those spaces and deal with balls into the box.

Your opinion is your opinion, and in the first half of the season purely on shot stopping, the statistics would agree with you. Across the second half of the season, again purely on shot stopping, they would not agree with you. If we look at opportunity prevention statistics, such as sweeping outside the area and dealing with crosses into the box, he was the worst goalkeeper in the entire league, so the statistics would not agree with you. But if you think that constitutes a good season, that's your opinion and I respect that.

lsd

The Oracle
I don't think anyone here who is advocating for Henderson over De Gea thinks Henderson is top class or anything. But he doesn't have to be top class to be a better option for us than De Gea.

That's the reason people talk about him a lot. It's because we literally have a better keeper on the books but we pissed him off and loaned him out.

Henderson is not better and never will be. The only thing Henderson has ever done to suggest he is better is to keep saying it himself.

Confidence is not talent

el3mel

Of course we were, every team will play defensive to win a game the point I'm making is that if you are going to get the best out of De Gea you have to defend deep. If you push up it creates gaps between the goalkeeper and defence because he does not cover those gaps, balls in behind and crosses into the box are left to defenders every time without fail whereas they were more comfortable in front of Henderson (and Romero for that matter) because they did cover those spaces and deal with balls into the box.

Your opinion is your opinion, and in the first half of the season purely on shot stopping, the statistics would agree with you. Across the second half of the season, again purely on shot stopping, they would not agree with you. If we look at opportunity prevention statistics, such as sweeping outside the area and dealing with crosses into the box, he was the worst goalkeeper in the entire league, so the statistics would not agree with you. But if you think that constitutes a good season, that's your opinion and I respect that.
No I don't disagree with any of these flaws you're mentioning for De Gea. We all know shot stopping is what made his career while he's lacking in other aspects you would expect from a goalkeeper. I thought last season for him was better than the previous 2 in which he was awful even when it came to shot stopping.

Pirlo'sBeard

No matter what happens, he's been a great servant to the club and will be remembered fondly. He saved us so many times in his prime. Things would have been a lot worse without De Gea when he was arguably the best in the world.

But, that said, he's not the answer anymore.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Remember the geese

Henderson is not better and never will be. The only thing Henderson has ever done to suggest he is better is to keep saying it himself.

Confidence is not talent
Two average keepers. Not worth arguing about. Average is pretty kind actually. Especially in De Gea's case.

JB7

No I don't disagree with any of these flaws you're mentioning for De Gea. We all know shot stopping is what made his career while he's lacking in other aspects you would expect from a goalkeeper. I thought last season for him was better than the previous 2 in which he was awful even when it came to shot stopping.
Fair enough, I can certainly agree that last season was an improvement on his previous two years!

lsd

The Oracle
Two average keepers. Not worth arguing about. Average is pretty kind actually. Especially in De Gea's case.

Yes and replacing one who has actually achieved things and proved himself with someone who hasn't achieved anything and never will seems pointless to me.

I have no problem replacing De Gea but only with someone better who can be what we need.

That's not Henderson

Last edited:

Remember the geese

Yes and replacing one who has actually be achieved things and proceed himself with someone who hasn't achieved anything and never will seems pointless to me.

I have no problem replacing De Gea but only with someone better who can be what we need.

That's not Henderson
Yeah, neither one of them is the answer.

jeff_goldblum

Confidence is not talent
De Gea is undoubtedly more talented than Henderson, but being good at reaction saves doesn't mean much if you're scared of challenging strikers in the air, scared of leaving your 6 yard box, scared of being passed to and incapable of organising a defence.

Henderson is nothing special, but he at least accepts that claiming crosses, sweeping outside his box and making himself an option for a pass are part of his job as a goalkeeper. De Gea doesn't, and his abdication of those responsibilities piles more pressure on our defenders, who often struggle to do their own jobs, never mind the keeper's as well.

fallengt

Yes and replacing one who has actually achieved things and proved himself with someone who hasn't achieved anything and never will seems pointless to me.

That's not Henderson
But United should always have 2nd GK to challenge DDG's spot. It was no coincidence that DDG performed well when he had Romero, a solid GK on the bench. Then started fecking around when Romero left

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

That's not Henderson
I don't necessarily think Henderson is the answer but that logic doesn't really make sense.
You end up going backwards because you refuse to replace a guy due to past events and fail to give yourself a chance to judge whether or not the other guy is good enough.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If Henderson is average then De Gea is below average in terms of capabilities of a goalkeeper and how that influences how the rest of the defenders play.

The Oracle

Based on what exactly?

In our 5 heaviest away defeats last season, De Gea conceded 20 goals from 39 attempts on target.
That translates as every 2nd attempt he faced on target being a goal:

Watford 4-1 Man Utd
7 attempts on target by Watford

Leicester 4-2 Man Utd
11 attempts on target by Leicester

Man City 4-1 Man Utd
10 attempts on target by City

Liverpool 4-0 Man Utd
5 attempts on target by Liverpool

Brighton 4-0 Man Utd
6 attempts on target by Brighton

39 attempts on target at the goalkeeper, 20 goals conceded.

That. Is. Horrendous.

Stop hiding behind his camera saves, and see David De Gea for what he actually is.
He is a not just a problem.

...he is a MAJOR problem.

In the opening 2 games of this season he has conceded 6 goals from 11 attempts on target.

I will repeat what I have already said:
'That translates as every 2nd attempt he faced on target being a goal'

Sylar

Ddg is a major problem because he's one of the most important positions of your spine.
Keeper has the best view in terms of organising what's in front of him

I just don't understand anybody who says it's not an issue or we have bigger things to sort out.

He's amongst the worst in the league when doing comparisons

Trequartistry

Does anyone still classify this guy as a legend or someone who deserves to go down in our history? I used to think he might do but recently I've just clips of so many errors in massive games since his debut. He has longevity on his side, and that season under Van Gaal but apart from that not much leans in his favour

Unam333

He needs to sit the Liverpool game out. You can't make basic mistakes like he did three games in a row. He's not in the right mindset to be starting in that game. Time to pass Heaton the gloves and hopefully we'll get a replacement in this transfer window.

Unam333

But Heaton is not good at all, that’s the problem. Maybe Kovar?
Maybe. I'm hopeful Heaton or Kovar can at least get the basics right. Those howlers are getting into De Gea's head.

lex talionis

De Gea has made excruciatingly two bad mistakes against Brentford which directly led to goals. A one-game benching sends an appropriate message to Dave that he needs to get his act together. Even if that means going with Heaton that's what ETH needs to do.

No more joy ride for those who fail badly.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
For some reason I think ETH has more faith in De Gea doing something positive with the ball at his feet than the players.

I actually think the "lump balls at Martinez" strategy revealed De Gea weaknesses as our defensive line don't feel comfortable passing / leaving him the ball. Understandably so.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
De Gea post 2018 World Cup is unrecognizable from De Gea pre 2018 World Cup. I’m convinced that he was kidnapped in Russia and replaced by a doppelgänger.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I wonder how much better our defence will look as soon as we replace DdG…I’d wager considerably.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I wonder how much better our defence will look as soon as we replace DdG…I’d wager considerably.
Yeah, 100%. We’ve had so many different CBs struggling in front of him, they can’t all be as terrible as they seem. Plus you have the likes of Smalling and Blind who look fine when they play for a different team. People underestimate how big a role a keeper plays in the overall effectiveness of a back four. Even when he’s not on the ball he should be organising the rest of them as he’s the one player who always has a view of all of the opposition attackers. And you just don’t see (or hear) him doing any of that organising on match days. Throw in the general uncertainty about whether he’ll come off his line to sweep or claim a high cross and not being a reliable option to pass the ball too, as well as often passing the ball to attackers in dangerous positions. It’s a recipe for disaster. Must be an absolute nightmare to play in front of.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I sometimes wonder if our stubborn refusal to upgrade DDG is influenced by Fergie, who so often had a nightmare when he tried to sign new keepers.
Probably more to do with the fact that we pay him a feck-ton of money and will continue to do so until 2024.

Santos J

2023*

They know they aren't getting a fee from him so it is a pointless waste of £20million to keep him around by triggering his extension to 2024.
While you're right I think you're being optimistic thinking we wouldn't :lol:

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
This is Man Utd, we're extending that contract come hell or high water!
You are probably right, but to me stuff like this is the proper test for Murtough and Arnold. Do you do the completely sensible thing that is on a plate and earn a tick against your performance, or do you do the stupid thing and keep them.

Using the options for Ronaldo, de Gea and Jones next summer will cost the club about £50million in wages. Providing we are looking for some smart signings that is 2-3 new players in, there are simple solutions everywhere.

arthurka

This place is just crazy, Henderson was taken apart here and most took DDG's performances last season as the return of the king. Now we are back to Henderson being there answer to all and DDG being shit. The fact is DDG has been poor for a long time and Henderson might be better than DDG but he ain't the perfect solution.
Anyone think this place is sane just take a peek into the ETH thread.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You are probably right, but to me stuff like this is the proper test for Murtough and Arnold. Do you do the completely sensible thing that is on a plate and earn a tick against your performance, or do you do the stupid thing and keep them.

Using the options for Ronaldo, de Gea and Jones next summer will cost the club about £50million in wages. Providing we are looking for some smart signings that is 2-3 new players in, there are simple solutions everywhere.
Losing Pogba, Matic, Lingard and Mata this summer without getting a penny for them will have been excruciating for the bean counters at the club. You can guarantee they’ll find a way to convince themselves that extending the contracts of De Gea et al will “protect their value” and we can find a mug to buy them off us at a later date.

Gavinb33

De Gea is undoubtedly more talented than Henderson, but being good at reaction saves doesn't mean much if you're scared of challenging strikers in the air, scared of leaving your 6 yard box, scared of being passed to and incapable of organising a defence.

Henderson is nothing special, but he at least accepts that claiming crosses, sweeping outside his box and making himself an option for a pass are part of his job as a goalkeeper. De Gea doesn't, and his abdication of those responsibilities piles more pressure on our defenders, who often struggle to do their own jobs, never mind the keeper's as well.
Exactly this, to be a goalkeeper you need supreme confidence in yourself.

De Gea looks to be wracked with doubt when he is doing anything he is not 100% comfortable with and it shows with his kicking and even now with his concentration.

Henderson is imperfect in some ways but mentality is on point which can be half the battle won at the off.

People are quick to jump on that Liverpool game and ok Henderson was poor, but De Gea has been poor in multiple times for us especially in his early years at the club which Henderson was at the time in his 1st season where he was being given a shot you can't bin players off after one bad game in their 1st season in the 1st team.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Henderson, despite not being the right gk would be a better fit than DdG. It’s brain dead planning that we let him leave on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.