Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Where does the idea that he's been good this season come from?
Saves that other keepers also make regularly get overrated.
Just on that particular table, worth noting as per the below that De Gea has improved to some extent since then.

Also, his shot-stopping stats will obviously have been hurt by the initial two games. But I think people are generally inclined to just write off those initial two games when assessing performances this season given the degree to which the entire team then subsequently improved. So I don't think they weigh on people's minds as much as they do on the stats.

Basically if you removed those initial couple of games from De Gea's stats and included the post-WC games, they'd be more in line with what people are actually judging when they say he's been good.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Did he complete any long passes? he was really poor with his distribution but fortunately he didn't need to save our bacon

Valencia Shin Crosses

Always felt Dave's limitations as a footballer were overstated but today was a prime example of how much those limitations can hurt.
Yep. We were overrun the second half because we lost our hold up striker, and don't have a GK that can distribute comfortably out of the back. That's two players that contribute loads to our ability to retain possession especially in a game where we are going to be under pressure the entire time.

Get him the feck out

JeffFromHK

Back 4 pass back to De Gea > got pressued > De Gea lump it forward randomly > land on City player comfortably

It has occurred at least 7 or 8 times tonight, and never happened to Ederson

He is killing our control of the game

arnie_ni

Thought his passing out from the back along the ground was good. None of the long balls went to a United shirt though

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Did nothing particularly wrong today but if we want to move past going long so often against better teams that press us then he's one of the obvious (though not the only) weaknesses.

Even as is I was nervous when he had to deal with the ball under pressure. If he is in goal, I don't think you can play other than like that in the toughest games.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Don't think he deserves that kind of send off considering his form but we definitely need to look at other options.
It came off harsh. But I can’t stand trying to go toe to toe with the top sides with such a huge limitation. And in these types of games it really rears it’s ugly head as we’ll never be able to hold possession and recycle it

Mas Risky

City's goal was partly his fault. He shouldn't be so close to the near post like that. De Bruyne had no other option but to cross the ball to the center of the penalty box.

Longshanks

Poor distribution today, gave city the ball numerous times and just launched it long under any semblance of pressure.

Couldn't do much for the goal I don't think, but he was doing holding onto the post thing again.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Poor distribution today, gave city the ball numerous times and just launched it long under any semblance of pressure.

Couldn't do much for the goal I don't think, but he was doing holding onto the post thing again.
Tbf I'm certain launching it long like that was the gameplan, so I wouldn't blame him at all for that.

But he's one of the reasons that is the gameplan.

Longshanks

Tbf I'm certain launching it long like that was the gameplan, so I wouldn't blame him at all for that.

But he's one of the reasons that is the gameplan.
I don't think it's the gameplan per se, but it's just his go to far too often. Sometimes under no pressure whatsoever at all. I would imagine ETH would be much happier with a keeper willing to play an active involvement in the build up and it's why I don't think we renew his contract.

criticalanalysis

City's goal was partly his fault. He shouldn't be so close to the near post like that. De Bruyne had no other option but to cross the ball to the center of the penalty box.

Yeah I said the same when it happened in the match day thread. Covering the front post is not the issue, it's the fact he's so flat footed and doesn't anticipate anything else. The chance of getting beaten there is a 1/10 chance, he should have known 4-9 times out of 10, it would have resulted in a cross, so he should have been scrambling to get across quickly.

I'm not expecting him to be Martinez (see his great save last night) but he always seem to look lost or be in no man's land when it comes to crosses in the air.

That's not even mentioning his long balls/passes :smirk:

NoPace

He's doing fine, but yeah he helped us lose control. Most games he'd make a nice save to get back to a 7/10 type, but we defended well enough apart from the goal that he didn't have to.

A keeper who can pass and claims crosses makes more sense now that we're actually a good football team.

Kag

De Gea needs to be replaced but given that we’re skint and in dire need of a striker and a good alternative to Eriksen then this may have to wait another year. It’s shame, but we’re going to have to be pragmatic and pull the trigger later down the line.

Longshanks

Yeah I said the same when it happened in the match day thread. Covering the front post is not the issue, it's the fact he's so flat footed and doesn't anticipate anything else. The chance of getting beaten there is a 1/10 chance, he should have known 4-9 times out of 10, it would have resulted in a cross, so he should have been scrambling to get across quickly.

I'm not expecting him to be Martinez (see his great save last night) but he always seem to look lost or be in no man's land when it comes to crosses in the air.

That's not even mentioning his long balls/passes :smirk:
We concede so many goals from the ball going across the six yard box when De Gea plays it's absolutely criminal. I don't think there was much he could do about the goal on Saturday but if you go back through the archives there are so many that he should do better with, but he is never prepared or set up to stop the cross he is 100% focused on stopping a potential shot, whenever a ball comes across he never goes for it he just stays on his line hoping he gets lucky.

There was a prime example from the Charlton game in the first half where a Charlton player got in behind and drilled a ball across the six yard box, Heaton dived full length and stopped it on the six yard line near enough. De Gea would of left it and there was a Charlton player at the back post ready to tap it in.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don’t disagree but generally he’s been good this season so I wouldn’t say it’s priority compared to other positions that need replaced or need cover in the squad

Oranges038

Back 4 pass back to De Gea > got pressued > De Gea lump it forward randomly > land on City player comfortably

It has occurred at least 7 or 8 times tonight, and never happened to Ederson

He is killing our control of the game
I missed the first 60 mins or so. When I got in the first thing I saw was him kicking one 50 yards straight to a City player in loads of space under no pressure.

I've been saying it for so long now, he just doesn't have the skillset required for the type of football ETH wants to play.

lost7

That save was ridiculous, out of this world. He's back to his best

Stadjer

Also really poor positioning, half a meter to his left and he saves it comfortably.
Hindsight 20/20.

What if the Palace player shoots it towards the other side of the goal? You would say he was positioned poorly and should have been two steps to his right and leave the other side for the wall. It was just a very good free kick. Not something that is saved ''comfortably''.

Last edited:

BorisManUtd

One great save and one good save, not his fault we couldn't control the game for large part of the 2nd half so conceding a goal was always a possibility.

dinostar77

Also really poor positioning, half a meter to his left and he saves it comfortably.
Thats harsh, olise did his best ward prowse impression and nailed it. De gea pulled off two incredible saves. Cant blame him for that freekick. It was too good.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
You set up the wall to take away one side. If he was standing to his left he'd be leaving the far post shot open. I am one of De Gea's biggest critics, especially when it comes to his positioning but everything he did today was spot on...

Status
Not open for further replies.