g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
David de Gea image 1

David de Gea Spain flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

VivaRonaldo85

When you’re missing your central defence, you need your experienced, highest paid & senior professional to step up and settle down the lesser players in front of him. Yet in fact, the exact opposite occurs.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He's one of the main (but many) reasons we've been so shit in the last few years.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Next season a write off then
If he genuinely feels this way then we are in big trouble. I thought he liked his keepers to be good on the ball? And presumably to not constantly make howlers

Idxomer

If he genuinely feels this way then we are in big trouble. I thought he liked his keepers to be good on the ball? And presumably to not constantly make howlers
The only other possibility other than those are his true feelings is that he has to say that to keep him motivated till the end of the season.

Longshanks

Absolute horror show. Another one for the history books.

Horrific under high balls, got very very lucky with the disallowed goal, was very soft. Bad mistake for the goal. Nearly gifted Antonio one misplacing a simple pass. And that was just the really bad stuff.

There was a point where he aimed a high ball at weghorst who had got himself into some space near the centre circle, noone near him ball just had to land near him. It sailed straight over his head to the west ham player 10 yards behind him. Really embarrassing.

I'm genuinely not sure I can mentally handle watching de Gea between the sticks for much longer.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Real would have moved him on about four years ago too.
Exactly. They don't give a feck about sentiment. They sold Casillas and never looked back and he was a bigger legend for them.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
I really like DDG and am impressed with how much he's improved his distribution this season.

Then I watch Madrid and see Courtois (also not an elite kicker) commanding his box, organising, claiming anything within 10 yards of the goal and I start to think that DDG isn't offering enough as a total package to be our number one.

Malone_Post

Real would have moved him on about four years ago too.
They would have moved him on after the 2018 World Cup, the same time Spain realised he was an absolute dud and banished him from the national team. We, on the otherhand, gave him a brand new contact making him the highest paid goalkeeper in the world.

Seij

Ten Hag might as well walk now if that’s what he actually wants. We won’t get anywhere with him in net!
I hope he doesn't actually think that himself because if he does, then the next season might as well be another write off and he probably should start looking at other opportunities.

Lentwood

I genuinely think that even a competent keeper would earn us an extra 10pts a season

Once again, as I have said for two years, De Gea is the worst GK in the league
This is what frustrates me the most. They dont show the date on these posts but I wrote that in 2019. I would say i am a good judge of a footballer. However, I am not a professional scout/analyst...just your average football fan who has watched/played loads of football.

If I (and many others) on this forum could see four years ago that DDG was a disaster of a goalkeeper, how on earth have we allowed ourselves to be here under yet another manager, STILL fielding the same old failures and buying the clubs PR bull$hit around them?

DDG is NOT a good shotstopper. He's not good at anthing - he's an absolute monstrosity, a horrowshow, a pitiful excuse of a goalkeeper with no personality, who is frightened of his own shadow and he would have been binned years ago by any half-competent club.

Lentwood

I hope he doesn't actually think that himself because if he does, then the next season might as well be another write off and he probably should start looking at other opportunities.
I have had barely a negative thing to say about ETH all season, but if he is complicit in the renewal of DDGs contract then I want the man gone.

At this point, id back him to the hilt if he let De Gea walk on a free and picked Jack Butland 60 times. Get that fraud out of my club at all costs. I cant take it any more.

K Stand Knut

The worst mistake in recent memory today??

I genuinely thought it was a back-pass that he somehow managed to feck up.

Absolutely pathetic from him and I’m really confused where I stand on him/a replacement now.

It’s possible that I think we’d be ok with Henderson instead of him. Let him go on a free IF we get the other key areas absolutely spot on, i.e. a CM and a number 9. And I mean absolutely, hit-the-ground running spot on.

He’s an accident waiting to happen these days

PSV

What would you have him do? Shatter his already stung confidence ahead of the last 5 games?

Waynne

Other goalkeepers are heavily involved in a teams build up play so our pressing will be that much harder against the opposition defence when their goalkeeper is able to move the ball around comfortably.

De Gea will never be that extra man in the build up phase so why are we trying to play that type of game with a goalkeeper clearly not suited for it?

Also when have you been confident of De Gea saving a penalty?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
In spite of his errors, he's probably still the best GK ETH has worked with. Perhaps he has a bit of a blind spot. I'm also not convinced he's that attached to possession football in the sense we thought he was.

Strats

Sick of him.

Would rather have a 40-year old Ben Foster holding his Go Pro in on hand than this dross.

Manny

Grammar Police
The absolute state of him at the start of the second half where he fecked up that nonsense short goal kick we do overhitting a simple pass back to Shaw to almost letting Antonio score which would have totally been game over
Agree. It sums him up. Its the first couple of minutes of the second half and he comes out and puts us on the back foot straight away.

The sort of thing that gets forgotten amongst his bigger howlers.

The Purley King

Has, absolutely fecking has to go this summer.
Great shot stopper? Not tonight he wasn’t and seemed to be trying to pass it to West Ham players from his own 6 yard box all st the same time not remotely interested in commanding his area because he is a gigantic pussy.
He is number 2 priority on the “jog on” list after WW and martial

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
This is what frustrates me the most. They dont show the date on these posts but I wrote that in 2019. I would say i am a good judge of a footballer. However, I am not a professional scout/analyst...just your average football fan who has watched/played loads of football.

If I (and many others) on this forum could see four years ago that DDG was a disaster of a goalkeeper, how on earth have we allowed ourselves to be here under yet another manager, STILL fielding the same old failures and buying the clubs PR bull$hit around them?

DDG is NOT a good shotstopper. He's not good at anthing - he's an absolute monstrosity, a horrowshow, a pitiful excuse of a goalkeeper with no personality, who is frightened of his own shadow and he would have been binned years ago by any half-competent club.
At his peak he was a fantastic shot stopper, I thought that was pretty much universally accepted? The guy has won us so many games and points in the past. These days he's got some gaffes in him, and he's a liability on the ball for sure. But he was once a very good goalkeeper.

Fergie wouldn't have stuck by him if he was such a monstrosity and he wouldn't have won our player of the year award so many times if he was as bad as you make out.

Wilt

One things for sure…. the next De Gea howler is not far away

G-MUFC

There's no way we're going to be anywhere near challenging for the league with De Gea in goal.
No other top club in Europe would accept their keeper giving away goals like De Gea gave away tonight. De Gea has been doing this for years and Man Utd want to offer him a new contract.

city-puma

He did sweeping today but he is not good at that. When the incident occurs, he pulled back and was panic. That’s how it was.
It’s not a joke that GK is the highest priority to upgrade for us. Even though he has been a great servant for us, it’s time to move on.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In spite of his errors, he's probably still the best GK ETH has worked with. Perhaps he has a bit of a blind spot. I'm also not convinced he's that attached to possession football in the sense we thought he was.
Onana and Pasveer are both better keepers for the way ten Hag wants to play. DDG only lasted as long as he has at this club is due to the managers we hired imo. And with the influx of the new breed of manager to the Premier league, his on the ball weaknesses have been exposed further. Van Gaal's backwards and sideways approach to playing the game didn't really test him at a time when the EPL was just beginning to see the new breed of manager arrive with the likes of Rodgers and Pochettino making their mark.

There isn't a coach at the top who implements 'possession football' but rather they look to implement a play style which requires each player to occupy zones and spaces to progress play with the aim of playing forward passes. Playing that way requires players who provide a certain level of technical ability. And when you have the tools at your disposal to play that way, controlling possession will come naturally due to the playstyle in question being geared towards dominating all phases of play with and without the ball.

Mike Smalling

My eyes have been well and truly opened. For a long time, I didn’t have GK very high on the list of priorities, but now I see that it’s right op there.
It’s just unfortunate that we have about 3-4 top priorities to fix.

Sigh.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner

At this point you just have to laugh.

1 goal given away, 2 passes straight to opposition under no pressure, 2 other goal disallowed luckily because he falls down at the slightest touch.

Peak disaster class.

RussellWilson

Onana and Pasveer are both better keepers for the way ten Hag wants to play. DDG only lasted as long as he has at this club is due to the managers we hired imo. And with the influx of the new breed of manager to the Premier league, his on the ball weaknesses have been exposed further. Van Gaal's backwards and sideways approach to playing the game didn't really test him at a time when the EPL was just beginning to see the new breed of manager arrive with the likes of Rodgers and Pochettino making their mark.

There isn't a coach at the top who implements 'possession football' but rather they look to implement a play style which requires each player to occupy zones and spaces to progress play with the aim of playing forward passes. Playing that way requires players who provide a certain level of technical ability. And when you have the tools at your disposal to play that way, controlling possession will come naturally due to the playstyle in question being geared towards dominating all phases of play with and without the ball.
Van Gaal tried to drop him for Romero and even brought in Valdes both weren't good enough unfortunately.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Van Gaal tried to drop him for Romero and even brought in Valdes both weren't good enough unfortunately.
That's actually correct.

Valdez and Van Gaal fell out over something, which cut short Valdez' stay at the club. I think it might have been due to Valdez being late to training or something?

RussellWilson

I don't think that's true at all.
Care to point out where I lied?

He got dropped for Romero but he had some clangers himself, against Swansea if I remember and De Gea got back in.

Valdes game in but fell out with LVG over not attending a reserves game and left, but Van Gaal definitely wanted him for his passing out ability.

Remember the geese

There was a moment near the end of the game where we were trying to create some pressure and West Ham hoofed the ball forward into the empty space. Any other keeper would have raced out of their goal up to the half way line and swept up the loose ball to get things moving quickly. Not De Gea. Instead there were two United players sprinting back to collect the ball. You could say it was a minor thing, but it was infuriating.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
It’s been 5 hours and I am still stunned by that mistake. How can a top level keeper make a mistake like that ffs. Ruined the whole weekend

jem

At this point you just have to laugh.

1 goal given away, 2 passes straight to opposition under no pressure, 2 other goal disallowed luckily because he falls down at the slightest touch.

Peak disaster class.
Absolute disaster class (perfect music for that video.)

Status
Not open for further replies.