De Gea Contract Situation

Do you think David De Gea will sign a new contract at Man Utd this season?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but he'll still leave by the end of the season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mali_Zeus

Sure Valdes hasnt played for a big while now and has recovered from serious injury but lets give him a chance.
If DDG leaves of course.

Adcuth

When the feck are we gonna here what's going on with him. Why has nothing been said yet.

When the feck are we gonna here what's going on with him. Why has nothing been said yet.
I think it's worth considering the possibility that he's keeping quiet because the club doesn't want their bargaining position weakened by an official confirmation that he's leaving. For all we know, he's doing us a favour. I'd like to know what's going to happen too, but let's not criticise him too much (not that you were doing that).

I'm pretty sure De Gea doesn't take any pleasure in this tension either.

IwatUwat

If DDG goes, I'd like Cech bought in.

DDG for Bale and Cech coming in as a replacement wouldnt be the worst deal ever. But ideally he stays.

Tough one saw a pic doing the rounds yesterday of previous player of the years and then their moves to madrid - Beckham, RVN, Ronaldo

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
If DDG goes, I'd like Cech bought in.

DDG for Bale and Cech coming in as a replacement wouldnt be the worst deal ever. But ideally he stays.

Tough one saw a pic doing the rounds yesterday of previous player of the years and then their moves to madrid - Beckham, RVN, Ronaldo
Yeah quite astonishing really !

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Only Ronaldo moved next year and other two SAF wanted to sell anyway.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
This may have been brought up before but could it have been a mistake by Fergie to buy him, knowing that if he fulfilled his potential, he'd be off to Madrid within a few years?
Then what would be the point in buying any young players with potential?

Maybe we shouldnt have purchased Ronaldo too?

IwatUwat

You do know the season hasn't ended yet?
Exactly this actually for me a lot has been said maybe too much.

Like LVG being so open about it, but maybe for the club better to keep in house. Unless a fee agreed already surprised he's talking about it, goes to show player power and surely that'll reduce his eventual fee if he was to go, fact it depends so much on De Gea (well him signing a new deal etc)

Maybe that's the next line though, he's suggested his preference to not sign and thus we had to sell to Real, getting Bale in return made it a good deal for utd too.

NM

Pretty much this. I don't understand how people don't seem to get that Fergie wanted rid of becks and ruud. Our fans especially

Then what would be the point in buying any young players with potential?

Maybe we shouldnt have purchased Ronaldo too?
:lol:Chronic mistake having arguably the second best keeper in the world for the last three or so years.
I never said it was my view but its interesting to what might be the thought process of buying certain players from certain countries. As with De Gea, I'm pretty sure we were looking for a keeper to be our number 1 for a long period and not just 2 or 3 years. Had we bought VDS earlier I think he still would've stayed until he retired.

Last edited:

Nem 7

His value has increased due to playing in a Moyes team / LVG team in transition. We won't miss him as much as the cuckholds on here would have you believe.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
What if he stays another year but refuses to sign a new contract? What then? His value drops to zero. Do we still play him?

Sir A1ex

What if he stays another year but refuses to sign a new contract? What then? His value drops to zero. Do we still play him?
Can't see it working that way round. If the offer from Real isn't high enough we may make him stay another year, in which case yes we play him, pointless not to.

kidbob

Could be a decent option if we can get a deal in place with someone like Leno or Oblak. Gives us another year of De Gea and would give some of the younger keepers like that another year of development and allow us to assess them more closely to determine if they are in fact worth taking the risk on over a more ready made option like Lloris. I'm not too happy at the names being touted except for Cech, who seems to want to stay in London. If losing De Gea on a free next year can enable us to find a better long term replacement then it'd be worth losing the cash. Not like Madrid are offering us any serious money anyway (nowhere near the fee we should get for him).

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I think he'll stay. If Carlo was staying at Madrid it would be different, but if you put aside the personal reasons and look at the footballing reasons he'd be a bit daft to leave. We're on our way back up with an excellent manager and a squad that will have huge investment this summer. Madrid are changing manager and haven't looked great recently, they'll keep trying to sign De Gea like they did with Ronnie, so he could stay for another season and move to Madrid when they're on the up again.
A couple of days ago didn't you say he was off?

Jaxa

Theres no way were going to let another season go by and pretend the situation doesn't exist, He will be sold or swapped this summer or he will stay and sign a new contract (and maybe sold the following season for a reasonable amount)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Much has changed in a few days though. I think Carlo leaving will have a big say for De Gea. I'm probably very wrong.
I thought Carlo leaving had been pretty much well known for a while? It should have an impact on what de Gea decides but I doubt it will. With his dad's fear of flying and his girlfriend staying in Spain, he's off imo.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
Much has changed in a few days though. I think Carlo leaving will have a big say for De Gea. I'm probably very wrong.
I don't think the manager here has much impact to be honest. It's Real, Perez often does the transfer business alone and doesn't look what the manager wants. Even with Bale I watched a interview with Carlo, where you could see that Bale was not his idea or his target, but he was more like yeah I can't complain if someone buys me a player like Bale. From DDGs point of view it doesn't matter that much either imo, if he wants to return to Spain/Madrid.

Empire

So the first is 6 years before leaving then it's 3 years, then it's 1 and now it's the same season, surely that's the end of that curse then.

Erebus

Just checked on twitter and #thanksDave is trending. Panicked and then saw it was about some American talk show host.

Brophs

The One and Only
If De Gea and Di Maria leave this summer we'll be left without any players who look like they've had their heads squeezed in a vice. Bloody shame that.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

So the first is 6 years before leaving then it's 3 years, then it's 1 and now it's the same season, surely that's the end of that curse then.
They'll also take Herrera this season to make it -1 and TFM to make it -3.

glazed

Theres no way were going to let another season go by and pretend the situation doesn't exist, He will be sold or swapped this summer or he will stay and sign a new contract (and maybe sold the following season for a reasonable amount)
Selling him, swapping him, resigning him. These all require the player to agree. We all think he's the nice guy who isn't all about the cheque. But what if his game plan is just to run down his contract and pick up a a massive signing on fee? That's what I'd do. It's not like we'd put him in the reserves as punishment - he's too good for that.

Ricardo de la Vega

Selling him, swapping him, resigning him. These all require the player to agree. We all think he's the nice guy who isn't all about the cheque. But what if his game plan is just to run down his contract and pick up a a massive signing on fee? That's what I'd do. It's not like we'd put him in the reserves as punishment - he's too good for that.
And of course he doesn't have to "do" anything to get punished for....he could legitimately let his contract run down as it is. He'd be within his rights to. All he would have to do is be non-committal about a new one - say "I don't want to sign yet - I'm not thinking about it" and then let the two (or more) offers come in from whatever suitors are out there and of course the club itself - so he wouldn't be threatened with the reserves (unless he went "I want to sign for Real this year - I don't want to play for you" - which would be out of order because he's under contract.

glazed

And of course he doesn't have to "do" anything to get punished for....he could legitimately let his contract run down as it is. He'd be within his rights to. All he would have to do is be non-committal about a new one - say "I don't want to sign yet - I'm not thinking about it" and then let the two (or more) offers come in from whatever suitors are out there and of course the club itself - so he wouldn't be threatened with the reserves (unless he went "I want to sign for Real this year - I don't want to play for you" - which would be out of order because he's under contract.
Exactly. And there's a deeper problem here as witnessed by the Sterling debacle. Clubs think they own players and should naturally get paid large amounts of money to give them up. I think that we will see agents and players challenging that mindset more and more. And rightly so. Irrespective of their obscene wages, the transfer system exists in no other industry and players shouldn't really have to put up with it. The only reason it still exists is that the phony court of CAS manages to somehow keep it alive.

mattsville

Obviously it would be great if he stayed, settled, very likeable fella, but I don't believe it is as critical as people are making out, he has been overworked the past couple of seasons due to deficiencies in the team. If he goes and we sign the right keeper and adequate defensive and defensive midfield players, imo the likes of cech and begovic are top keepers proven in the PL who offer more domination in the box, then we will be ok. What you really cannot replace is his kicking off either foot, but, I would like to think next season one of our primary forms of attack is not relying on accurate 80 yard passes from De Gea to Fellaini.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Exactly. And there's a deeper problem here as witnessed by the Sterling debacle. Clubs think they own players and should naturally get paid large amounts of money to give them up. I think that we will see agents and players challenging that mindset more and more. And rightly so. Irrespective of their obscene wages, the transfer system exists in no other industry and players shouldn't really have to put up with it. The only reason it still exists is that the phony court of CAS manages to somehow keep it alive.
Really interesting points here. You have to wonder whether the transfer system will ever change that drastically at some point.

dsch

If he stays, it would be because he doesn't want to go yet or wants to wait and see. In that case, the obvious course of action for everyone involved would be a 2/3 year contract extension with a release clause.

dinners85

Said as much myself in the Sterling thread....

I see it from Sterling's point of view but also from Liverpool's.

How often do we hear that a contract isn't worth the paper it's written on and read the debates over over whether the club or player holds holds the cards ?

Football is an odd one.

What other industry are employees 'bought' by one company from another ?

Shouldn't a footballer be allowed to simply resign ?

Some want to abolish 'transfer fees' but how else would the money filter down through the lower leagues ?

The Sterling case is hardly unique.

But the 'transfer fee' - what's that all about.

the idea that a person is an asset ?

You offer to employ somebody based on their credentials / ability and your needs as an employer. You offer a more attractive package than another potential employer to secure their services.

Contract is signed and both employee and employer have clear rules regarding how employer or employee can end that contract.

All premier clubs get a shed load of money - It's more or less equal - I'm not sure if it would work but what if a premiership / championship player earned a set amount. Over and above that they then negotiate their club contact. Bin transfer fees and the clubs wealth can then determine who XYZ wishes to play for. Not everybody can play for Chelsea, City or United so eventually the better players still end up at those clubs doing better.

If a player wants out (or in) it's the same as everywhere else in life - see what's on offer - take it or leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.