Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaFletch

Yes he can be rash, but do we want him to make no challenges when he's on a yellow? It's a nothing challenge, there's no reason why he shouldn't try to win the ball, he should never have been in any danger of being sent off. It's bad refereeing.
I think we can expect him to be smarter about the challenges he makes full stop, yeah, and especially so after he's literally just been booked. There was literally no need to go in for the tackle there, and – if we're honest – there have been more than a few games where he's been a little lucky not to be sent off for similar reasons. He's far too eager to make tackles he doesn't need to make and it gives fleet footed players the chance to draw fouls.

We should just be thankful it happened in a game where there were no consequences, and hope that he learns from it and refines his game a little.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
He was missing first leg of R16 anyway but now he will be again a card away from one more suspension. Cards accumulation is wiped out at end of Quarter finals so he will need to ensure no yellows in 2nd leg of R16 and 1st leg of QF, should we progress, to avoid further suspensions.

hubbuh

He was always a work in progress with a lot of potential but also some serious flaws. The natural excitement and honey moon period that comes with a new signing, especially in our case after the frustrations of last year, made people overrate his start for us.
Disagree. New signings are scrutinised to an incredible degree during their first period of games. Bailly was largely faultless until he got that injury around November/December, but for a few moments of recklessness that didn't cost us.

He's still first choice CB.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I think we can expect him to be smarter about the challenges he makes full stop, yeah, and especially so after he's literally just been booked. There was literally no need to go in for the tackle there, and – if we're honest – there have been more than a few games where he's been a little lucky not to be sent off for similar reasons. He's far too eager to make tackles he doesn't need to make and it gives fleet footed players the chance to draw fouls.

We should just be thankful it happened in a game where there were no consequences, and hope that he learns from it and refines his game a little.
You can say that about almost every tackle outside our own penalty box.

Actually access the challenge. Was it dangerous? Was it overly aggressive? Was the player in an advanced position? Had he been warned for persistent fouling? The answer to all these are no. There is absolutely no reason why Bailly shouldn't be entitled to challenge for that ball and absolutely no reason for it to be a second yellow.

There's no being thankful for anything. It was clearly the wrong decision by the referee, the fault is entirely with the referee.

Footyislife

Wasn't even a couple let alone a second yellow card. Both went to challenge for the ball and the ASSE player's follow through created contact. Refs were full of terrible decisions today.

Ramicoo

He's trying to prove himself (back) by any means since he returned from that long injury he got at CFC match, but rushing too much to do this and Mou need to speak with him.. Will he be off for 1 match or 2 in EL?

NinjaFletch

You can say that about almost every tackle outside our own penalty box.

Actually access the challenge. Was it dangerous? Was it overly aggressive? Was the player in an advanced position? Had he been warned for persistent fouling? The answer to all these are no. There is absolutely no reason why Bailly shouldn't be entitled to challenge for that ball and absolutely no reason for it to be a second yellow.

There's no being thankful for anything. It was clearly the wrong decision by the referee, the fault is entirely with the referee.
And yet you ignore the most important question.

Was it a challenge that need to be made? No. It gave the referee a decision to make and he obliged.

You can criticise the referees decision and Bailly's naivety. He needs to be smarter about when and where he's making challenges. It's been obvious since he got here, and today isn't the first time we've seen it, nor does it require excessive criticism, but to act like he's completely blameless is a step too far. It's something he can improve upon; there is no point hiding from that fact.

Also I didn't say we should be thankful he was sent off, that would be weird, I said we should be thankful he hasn't been when it could have mattered more. There have been games where he easily could have been.

the unknown one.

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
Is a good player at the moment but I do not see how so many people see him as superior to any of the other three senior center-backs we have at the moment.

Is always very rash and dives in to a ridiculous extent.

Has great potential but the extreme praise he gets in comparison to the criticism the other three get is odd.

I have to say Rojo is our best CB imo at the current moment.

LouisDanGaal

Usually the ref would let you off with the second but a yellow isn't outrageous. Stupid from the player.

Ref let several worse challenges than the second go unbooked afterwards for some reason though.

SteveW

Second yellow was bizarre. He didn't even put in a tackle. He was just controlling the ball and the player got his foot in first. Don't see how he can be blamed for that

Ramicoo

He misses next match, but will still be a yellow card away from suspension when he's back.
So he'll play the 2nd R16 match, but if he get a yellow in it he'll miss the 1st quarter final match if we proceeded?

ivaldo

And yet you ignore the most important question.

Was it a challenge that need to be made? No. It gave the referee a decision to make and he obliged.

You can criticise the referees decision and Bailly's naivety. He needs to be smarter about when and where he's making challenges. It's been obvious since he got here, and today isn't the first time we've seen it, nor does it require excessive criticism, but to act like he's completely blameless is a step too far. It's something he can improve upon; there is no point hiding from that fact.

Also I didn't say we should be thankful he was sent off, that would be weird, I said we should be thankful he hasn't been when it could have mattered more. There have been games where he easily could have been.
No it's not the most important question. The most important question is 'was it a yellow card?' unless your answer is yes (which by your lack of previous committal you agree it was never a yellow) then everything else is immaterial.

You're blaming Baillys naïvity on the back of someone else's error. As I said previously, 95% of tackles made in a game you don't have to make, your criticism would be justified if the challenge fell into any one of the previous categories I had already outlined but it didn't. Bailly should not have had to fear a yellow card because it wasn't a yellow card challenge, in any form or shape. Bailly cannot adjust his game on the basis of how shit the ref is, that's not being smart or naïve, that's being let down by poor officiating.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Of course people start vastly discounting his performances because of a few bad decisions in his last game. Classic caf. Bailly is easily our best CB and the way he always tries to defend aggressively normally helps our attack as well because his tackles lead to us breaking on the counter much quicker. The cards are a byproduct of this but people all of the sudden saying he has been overrated are reacting to one moment.

He's also our best CB on the ball as well, which is just a bonus.

NinjaFletch

No it's not the most important question. The most important question is 'was it a yellow card?' unless your answer is yes (which by your lack of previous committal you agree it was never a yellow) then everything else is immaterial.

You're blaming Baillys naïvity on the back of someone else's error. As I said previously, 95% of tackles made in a game you don't have to make, your criticism would be justified if the challenge fell into any one of the previous categories I had already outlined but it didn't. Bailly should not have had to fear a yellow card because it wasn't a yellow card challenge, in any form or shape. Bailly cannot adjust his game on the basis of how shit the ref is, that's not being smart or naïve, that's being let down by poor officiating.
Do you think it was a foul?

The Man Himself

He gave the ref all the reason...
On a yellow it was idiotic..
Again 'giving a reason' is not a valid reason for ref to give yellow when it is highly debatable that was it even a foul. It was a never a yellow and it was awful decision by referee.

NinjaFletch

Probably. Do you think it's a yellow?
If you need to ask have you actually been reading the posts you've been replying to?

Bailly fouled their player and gave the referee a decision to make. Bailly made a rash decision, and although he was unlucky to be sent off here, he has been lucky in the past. He can learn from this and improve, but ultimately it could have happened at a worse time. I'm staggered you disagree with that.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
It was a foul but it wasn't a yellow.

I suppose when the ref sees the player rolling around like hes been shot, it influences him.

ivaldo

If you need to ask have you actually been reading the posts you've been replying to?

Bailly fouled their player and gave the referee a decision to make. Bailly made a rash decision, and although he was unlucky to be sent off here, he has been lucky in the past. He can learn from this and improve, but ultimately it could have happened at a worse time. I'm staggered you disagree with that.
So what you are trying to say is, "no its not a yellow card."

As no one else thinks it's a yellow card either, it's fairly obvious what he commited was just a normal foul, so to be penalised for it is absolutely ridiculous. The fault is the referees, not the players.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
If you go in then it can look bad BUT that said, I think the ref was a bit quick like to send him off. He couldn't wait to pull that card out. I don't like that. I would like to think these people can think about what they're doing rather then playing to the crowd. It was a clean game and it could have been avoided by the player but also by the ref. I feel he was happy to do them a favour. A better ref would take their time to think but he didn't allow himself time too. So well done ref.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Good overall performance with one or two excellent, well timed tackles and until the two yellows was one of our best players today. The second was, imo, very harsh but that's often par for the course in Europe.

As he matures his decision making process, like the rest of his game, will continue improve and I see him as becoming pivotal in our defense (if he's not already). As it is, I love his aggressive approach and I think in general, his timing and positioning puts him amongst the top handful CB's in the league.

We have shown we have the depth to cover his absence so let's not over exaggerate this misdemeanor.

Donut

He seems more of a Lovren than a Vidic to me.

His football IQ is not too high, he just goes for everything and never uses a more patient approach. He also needs to get his eyes checked, he doesn't head the ball when he's at his highest but after he's well on the way down after jumping, bizzare.

He is still young, and he has all the physical predispositions, but right now he's our 4th best CB for me.

arthurka

Again 'giving a reason' is not a valid reason for ref to give yellow when it is highly debatable that was it even a foul. It was a never a yellow and it was awful decision by referee.
I agree with it not being a great decision from the ref but Bailly didnt cover himself in any glory..

The Man Himself

I agree with it not being a great decision from the ref but Bailly didnt cover himself in any glory..
Yeah he has a bit rough angle to his play. In Europe fouls are given more easily so there is a risk with him. Hope he improves on that without impacting his imposing style.

AR87

Good experience for him.
That was my take. Both were unnecessary challenges and in the PL I doubt he gets sent off after the 2nd one, but Europe is a different beast and it's something he needed to happen to learn from.

Actually thought he'd been excellent tonight before those 2 incidents and a vast improvement from his showing last week.

3KDré

He's been an absolutely fantastic acquisition, great player. Might be a bit too rash at times, but he is the youngest of our CBs.

NinjaFletch

So what you are trying to say is, "no its not a yellow card."

As no one else thinks it's a yellow card either, it's fairly obvious what he commited was just a normal foul, so to be penalised for it is absolutely ridiculous. The fault is the referees, not the players.
Can you go and argue with it with one of the other people thats said exactly the same thing as me instead please? You can take your pick from absolutely everyone in the thread apart from you it seems. You're so hung up on a point that if you bothered to read literally the first sentence of my first response to you you would already know, and its creating an unfair impression that I think the incident is far more serious than it actually is.

Last edited:

Traub

He seems more of a Lovren than a Vidic to me.

His football IQ is not too high, he just goes for everything and never uses a more patient approach. He also needs to get his eyes checked, he doesn't head the ball when he's at his highest but after he's well on the way down after jumping, bizzare.

He is still young, and he has all the physical predispositions, but right now he's our 4th best CB for me.
That's the key point that I think a lot of people are missing. Realistically there were probably a handful of posters who had actually watched him in more than 10 games prior to us signing him. His rise has been meteoric and he still has a fortune to iron out of his game. However, he has definitely shown glimpses of real potential. Nights like tonight are what build character. How he comes back from a relatively poor few games in a row will help to show whether he has the potential to be a long-term first choice CB for us.

King Eric 7

It's amazing how one undeserved (second) yellow card can see a player's stock fall so low. Maybe he can play a blinder on the weekend and go back to being our best CB again :)

ivaldo

Can you go and argue with it with one of the other people thats said exactly the same thing as me instead please? You can take your pick from absolutely everyone in the thread apart from you it seems. You're so hung up on a point that if you bothered to read literally the first sentence of my first response to you you would already know, and its creating an unfair impression that I think the incident is far more serious than it actually is.
Plenty agree with me in the thread, why would you even pretend otherwise?

And if you don't want to enter a debate with someone, don't quote them in the first place? :confused:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hopefully the red card will be a lessen to him. Just needs to cut that rashness out and stop trying to win EVERY ball at all costs.

You need to learn as a defender when to take everything, and when just to contain. He will get there but today was a bit silly from him, even though the 2nd wasn't a yellow.

facund

His timing and touch seemed to be a bit off from the very start of the game. A harsh second yellow but it capped another curious performance from him (much like last Thursday). Hopefully it is just a little blip because he's been very reliable the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.