Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I'll cut him some slack because its only his second game back but talk of him being 'world class' and 'by far our best centre back' at this point is just nonsense.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I really don't understand the hype with this bang average defender.

He has no footballing intelligence and gets caught out of position all the time, he then gets plaudits because he makes a last ditch tackle.
So it's not just me...

AP88

Supports
Man City
He’s an absolute car crash of a defender who’s chaos wins more plaudits than it should - even when he scored that shambles of an own goal on the weekend people seemed to enjoy it; Jones or Smalling do that then follow it up with tonight’s shit-show and they get lynched.

He’s got a lot of potential but not as a central defender, at least not yet - Mourinho loves his right-footed leftbacks; Gallas, Zanetti, Azpilicueta, Santon, Darmian and now Young, so it’d make sense to solve that problem with Bailly and save the leftback money to invest in another central defender along with Alderweireld.

Acole9

Outstanding
I'm glad to see some of the comments just above mine, I agree with you guys.

I wasn't that impressed with him on Saturday, thought he was ok, but nothing more.

Tonight, first half decent, second half he was crap. At fault for the first goal and possibly the second.

I think our fans are too used to watching defenders not getting stuck in and that's why he's being let off criticism. He is our best defender but he's got a lot to learn.

Pacificgi

To be critical of him over the first goal, he gets done by the defender fainting to should first time creating the space for him to get the shot away.

A-man

He was obviously having a poor evening. First half was so-so, started second really well, but then everything collapsed and he seemed to be at the wrong place all the time and the defence looked like the welcoming entrance of Harrod's. I think he can do much better and that much of this comes from him being absent for a long time. Maybe a mistake to let him play such an important match at this stage in his recovery. I still hold him as United’s best defender, though, just not in this match.

He had to make that tackle because for some reason he ran to the left wing when Smalling had the man covered, opened up the space for the ball. Brilliant tackle but not the most intelligent play.

Behind every great tackle is a poor positioning. That is often the case. The best defenders rarely need last second tackles.
This is what disturbs me. Defenders with powerful last second tackles often get the praise. I read one paper that gave him high ratings because of that tackle.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I find he has these howlers usually in European games. He was all over the shop. As other have pointed out, he makes some great last ditch tackles. But they only come along because he is wildly out of position in the first place.

Good player. Massively overrated. No better than Jones.

Its also ridiculous how Jones and Smalling can make a mistake and they'll get ripped apart while Bailly's mistake will be sweeped under the rug or unfathomably somehow be funny to people. Own goal? Oh silly Bailly, so funny.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I find he has these howlers usually in European games. He was all over the shop. As other have pointed out, he makes some great last ditch tackles. But they only come along because he is wildly out of position in the first place.

Good player. Massively overrated. No better than Jones.

Its also ridiculous how Jones and Smalling can make a mistake and they'll get ripped apart while Bailly's mistake will be sweeped under the rug or unfathomably somehow be funny to people. Own goal? Oh silly Bailly, so funny.
Tbf he deserves more patience than Jones or Smalling because it's debut season, so should be allowed some time to bed in. He has had some very good performances over the course of this season and we've tended to concede fewer goals with him in the team than without him.

I have no idea what the feck he was up to last night, mind you. Goals aside, that sitter their striker missed in the closing minutes was one of the worst examples of central defensive positioning I think I've ever seen at this level. Literally school-boy defending.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Tbf he deserves more patience than Jones or Smalling because it's debut season
He was here last season, and put in some equally bizarre performances.

I think he's an accident waiting to happen, he puts the shits up me regularly.

Lyricist

Ben Yedder took the little shimmy and the shot really well for the first goal. I can't blame him not getting the ball anymore in that situation. But he was not close enough to Ben Yedder when the pass was played. That was the issue in the first place.

But then what he does for the second goal is kind of inexplicable to me. He doesn't move at all. What is he doing? If he tracks his guy, he can possibly prevent such an easy open header at the first post.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Tbf he deserves more patience than Jones or Smalling because it's debut season, so should be allowed some time to bed in. He has had some very good performances over the course of this season and we've tended to concede fewer goals with him in the team than without him.

I have no idea what the feck he was up to last night, mind you. Goals aside, that sitter their striker missed in the closing minutes was one of the worst examples of central defensive positioning I think I've ever seen at this level. Literally school-boy defending.
Second season...

Think with Bailly it was a case of having two games in three days despite him having played his first 90mins against Liverpool since early November. Too much football after a long injury.

This also demonstrates the complete lack of faith Jose has in Lindelof imo.

edit:

To illustrate my point:
  • 8/11/18 - Ankle Injury
  • 17/2/18 - Huddersfield A - Sub on 1min
  • 21/2/18 - Sevilla A - Bench
  • 25/2/18 - Chelsea H - Sub on 9mins
  • 5/3/18 - Palace A - Bench
  • 10/3/18 - Liverpool H - 90mins
  • 13/3/18 - Sevilla H - 90mins
He's had a 3 month lay off with an Ankle injury. Gets 10mins of football, starts against Liverpool and then 3 days later starts against Sevilla. You've got a fit Lindelof on the bench and although he's shakey, he's at least match fit. Bailly's been pushed into the deep end somewhat.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He was here last season, and put in some equally bizarre performances.

I think he's an accident waiting to happen, he puts the shits up me regularly.
Second season...

Think with Bailly it was a case of having two games in three days despite him having played his first 90mins against Liverpool since early November. Too much football after a long injury.

This also demonstrates the complete lack of faith Jose has in Lindelof imo.
Oops. My bad. Second season it is.

I don't think the two games after a long injury is a valid excuse because he's been capable of these sort of howlers from day one. I think the only reasonable excuse is that he's relatively young and seems to be a late developer. So the consistency we need in this position will (hopefully) come. It does make our central defensive recruitment under Mourinho seem like a bit of a car crash, though. We were desperately in need of the finished article to build a defence around (dare I say it, someone like Van Dijk?) but have ended up with a couple of long term projects instead.

Red00012

He’s another central defender that makes me nervous..we have them in abundance Rojo,smalling,Jones,lindelof,Bailly.its strange Mourinho didn’t try blind there at some stage this season.

binary bot
Even Bailly, only returning from a long term injury, is part of the post game ‘everybody is shit, we need a clear out’ drama, where recent matches are somehow reassessed under different light.

It should go without saying why he deserves more slack than Smalling and Jones.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Oops. My bad. Second season it is.

I don't think the two games after a long injury is a valid excuse because he's been capable of these sort of howlers from day one. I think the only reasonable excuse is that he's relatively young and seems to be a late developer. So the consistency we need in this position will (hopefully) come. It does make our central defensive recruitment under Mourinho seem like a bit of a car crash, though. We were desperately in need of the finished article to build a defence around (dare I say it, someone like Van Dijk?) but have ended up with a couple of long term projects instead.
I think it's a valid excuse personally (I edited my above post). Players aren't robots, there isn't a magical switch that allows them to play their best football straight away. Bailly's been pushed back too quickly. You honestly think his return strategy from injury is to play his first two 90mins 3 days apart? That's bad management. If he wasn't ready for the Palace game, then what makes Jose think he's ready for both Liverpool and Sevilla in quick succession?

We've spoken in some depth about our defensive issues in the Chris Smalling thread so I won't start it in the Bailly thread. My conclusion is that we need to clear some of our CBs out and bring in a genuine quality CB so in agreement with your assessment. I'd worry about Van Dijk, his injury record is getting worse, what we need is a CB who's top class but also stays clear of injuries. No point having a leader if they're out injured like most of our CBs. It's why i'm a bit confused why we haven't given Lindelof more of a go, at least he isn't crocked.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I think it's a valid excuse personally (I edited my above post). Players aren't robots, there isn't a magical switch that allows them to play their best football straight away. Bailly's been pushed back too quickly. You honestly think his return strategy from injury is to play his first two 90mins 3 days apart? That's bad management. If he wasn't ready for the Palace game, then what makes Jose think he's ready for both Liverpool and Sevilla in quick succession?

We've spoken in some depth about our defensive issues in the Chris Smalling thread so I won't start it in the Bailly thread. My conclusion is that we need to clear some of our CBs out and bring in a genuine quality CB so in agreement with your assessment. I'd worry about Van Dijk, his injury record is getting worse, what we need is a CB who's top class but also stays clear of injuries. No point having a leader if they're out injured like most of our CBs. It's why i'm a bit confused why we haven't given Lindelof more of a go, at least he isn't crocked.
I just threw Van Dijk out there as the sort of calibre we needed. A seasoned pro who we can rely on to give 7 or 8 out of 10 performances, week in, week out. All our CB’s were already flaky as feck and we seem to have only signed more flakes.

mu4c_20le

Ben Yedder took the little shimmy and the shot really well for the first goal. I can't blame him not getting the ball anymore in that situation. But he was not close enough to Ben Yedder when the pass was played. That was the issue in the first place.

But then what he does for the second goal is kind of inexplicable to me. He doesn't move at all. What is he doing? If he tracks his guy, he can possibly prevent such an easy open header at the first post.
For the first goal he played him onside. And then got turned inside out, but the first error was critical. Smalling did his job, he didnt.

Micky Targaryen

Lad just came back from a lengthy injury layoff and played 2 full games in the space of 4 days. You'd think posters can see a little bit of reason as too why he underperformed against Sevilla.

And then you log on to the Caf and you see terms like "bang average" and "car crash of a defender". :rolleyes:

POF

He was playing right back at the end of the game in fairness to him.

Litch

Superb defender and one of the first names on the team sheet. If he was available to be sold, the very top teams would be in for him. He's a victim of his own success and people forget he's only 23. For me, the issues are more about the other 3 in that back four....

Bobski

He is an excellent player with a rash side. Main problem is being injured for the majority of the season, then having to play 2 massive games in 4 days with no chance to build a settled partnership or back-line.

Still think he is a clear first choice to move forward with, identifying the right partner for him will be key.

Man Utd 2:0 Brighton

Bobski

I thought he really struggled tonight, especially early on when the pitch was a little slippier. I would put that down to playing 3 games in a week after not playing for months, Mou pushing him a little too hard perhaps.

Devil may care

Way too rash at the moment, for whatever reason he seems at his most composed when paired with Rojo.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Potentially a world-class fullback, on either side, but he’s yet to consistently show that he’s the real deal in the central defensive role. He’s had as many schoolboy moments in the past 3 games as Jones has all season, yet he’s hailed as the saviour of the defence, while Jones should be exiled.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Potentially a world-class fullback, on either side, but he’s yet to consistently show that he’s the real deal in the central defensive role. He’s had as many schoolboy moments in the past 3 games as Jones has all season, yet he’s hailed as the saviour of the defence, while Jones should be exiled.
CB surely?
As for savior of our defense comes with how he's currently our best who still has potential for improvement.
Jones is fantastic, but he's been consistently injured now since he came to us, so while quality-wise he's on Baillys current level (for some slightly above) he isn't someone we should rely upon.

And yes, I know Bailly has been injured a lot this season, but 1-1.5 seasons of injury history for a 23-year old CB vs 5 seasons of injury-history for 26-year old Jones means that Bailly gets more leeway for being injured.

I don't agree with those who are adamant that Jones has to go.
Blind has to go.
If Lindelöf don't improve, then he has to go.

Then we need Jones + Bailly to make up one side of the CB-partnership & one top quality player in to take the other spot.
Preferably one who is very good in the air & fast as both Jones & Bailly could do with the freedom to press the attacker and having someone to cover for them, while Bailly needs a partner who is great in the air.
Smalling with better feet would be great.

ti vu

Poor game he had. Doesn't have the usual swagger. Just pass the ball for the sake of passing, without clear intention. Doesn't carry the ball or step into midfield. Go to sleep occasionally and Valencia as bad as he was this game had to cover him at least couple occasions. And Brighton last attack of the game, Bailly didn't arse to defend properly. Left too much gap for Brighton player to control, turn and pull the shot inside our box, as if Bailly thought it's Okay to let one goal in as we already won. It's a bad habit to have: Complacement as well as flaw defending approach. Letting attacker having space to pull shot inside the box like that is simply wrong.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I hope that the last two games are a reminder to all the people who were raving about Bailly already being by far our best and our only defender who doesn't make mistakes (normally saying this when putting Smalling or one of our other defenders down).

The guy has amazing potential. On his day he is absolutely fantastic. But he is also inconsistent and at this moment in time does make quite a lot of mistakes.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Way too rash at the moment, for whatever reason he seems at his most composed when paired with Rojo.
He’s literally played 1 game with Rojo, and I don’t even think that was 90 minutes (think due to an injury)

Why do so many people think they had some formidable partnership

Toad

Christ we kept a clean sheet and people are still moaning about him. He has just come back from injury and to me looks pretty good considering the circumstances.

Vanya

IMO he was terrible yesterday. Could have cost us a goal on a couple of occasions. Apart from the player who gave the ball away, he was also at fault for Ben Yedders first goal on Tuesday, he didnt get tight enough quickly enough.

Hes potentially world class, but he's only 23. Needs time and consistent run of games.

We need a world class defender in the summer to play next to any of our current CBs. None of them are consistent.

Trizy

Started shakey but grew into the game. Did fine for me.

Donut

He's currently playing like a David Luiz without the passing ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.