Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Made a huge difference having him back. Had he gone off with injury just after the Liverpool goal and Lindelof came on..... well I think we all know what was likely to happen!

Sterling Archer

My goodness that was quite the performance coming off the injury. And as has been pointed out, he’s quite the character. Love it

Greck

Watching him today I realised what he has over the others. He can sniff out danger waaaay earlier than them. He'll occasionally step up into midfield to break up an attack earlier. With the others the defending is always reactive never proactive requiring lots of last ditch stuff and keeper interventions. That's only the mental side, let's not even talk about the physical and how strong he is in the tackle and composed he is on the ball.

That OG though. Had to feign an injury to cover up his embarrassment :lol:

Greck

He dives in recklessly quite often. I appreciate his aggression, but he's not always in control and he gets away with a lot of questionable challenges in my book. You can disagree, but almost every match he plays, I can point to a 2 or 3 challenges that are borderline. That's great as long as he can get away with it, but at times he is reckless. There's a difference between pushing the line and being reckless and Bailly hasn't fully discovered it yet.

At the end of the day, I really like what he offers United at CB. He just has some maturing to do and hopefully can stay healthy.
Very true. He has a knack for getting away with it and is very careful in the box so we know he isn't the Rojo/Rafael type with poor impulse control hence the benefit of the doubt. That pressure he put on Mane towards the end was amazing. Thought that was a goal for sure and how he managed to avoid bringing him down showed maturity

Betson

Obvious own goal blunder aside today he was excellent. Really important for us he remains relatively injury free. Has all the attributes to be a real top class center half. One of the best bits of business we have down in the last few years. Worry though about the amount of injuries he has picked up.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's the business, transforms our team when he plays,

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Incredible how more solid we look with him in the team. Delighted he's back and hope he stays fit for the rest of the season. He's as important as anyone we have in the squad.

Ashley R1+O

He's a superb physical specimen and uses his aggressiveness superbly. Credit to Mourinho for spotting this lad because his tools are perfect for the premier league.

What a performance and his own goal was even a banger. I think he suits Smalling and I hope he can stay fit for a huge period and combine with Smalling. I think they are the best defensive combination we have until Lindelof can step up and the also-rans have a peak they need to get to before they can unseat a Smalling-Bailly combo. Things are looking good and I hope Bailly can stay fit for a good portion of next season but I see his style as somewhat unsustainable physically in the long term without his body holding the test of time.

MAME DIOUF 32

The own goal was a horrible fluke. He more than made up with it with his willingness to make tough challenges in our own box. If he can stay fit he's going to be a brilliant defender.

El Zoido

The own goal was a mistake, but it was unlucky. He mis-hit his clearance, which is a mistake, but it happens. But for it to clip off his heel, through his own legs, and nestle perfectly in the near corner like that is incredibly unlucky. It could have gone anywhere. It was a freak own goal.

Distracted Steward

The own goal was a mistake, but it was unlucky. He mis-hit his clearance, which is a mistake, but it happens. But for it to clip off his heel, through his own legs, and nestle perfectly in the near corner like that is incredibly unlucky. It could have gone anywhere. It was a freak own goal.
Yep. This shouldn't detract at all from a standout performance in one of the biggest matches of the seasons--especially after a period out. Very, very good showing from him today.

I can't help but think it's going to be Bailly +1 in the future.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The own goal was a carbon copy of Jones vs Spurs.

Jones was called every name under the Sun for his. Interesting the allowances some players get.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

Jones was called every name under the Sun for his. Interesting the allowances some players get.
Don't think Jones was good at all against Spurs. He also made an error for the first goal. As a defender, if you make two mistakes that cost two goals, I'd say that's enough to constitute a poor game.

He wasn’t bad considering the midfield alllowed them to batter us for most of the game and the only goals we conceded both came with huge slices of luck.
"He wasn't bad". Kin ell, even Mourinho himself had told Jones specific instructions of what Spurs would try to do from the kick off, and he still fecked it up. He was poor versus Spurs in anyone's book.

Bailly was spotless today aside from the own goal, that's the difference and that's why he's rightly granted more leeway.

AshRK

Yes he made a mistake but the fact that he came back from that and completed the match like a boss shows his class. He needs to stay injury free though.

Devil may care

It was I agree, but Jones has had several seasons of dumb blunders and injury after injury which has worn on people's patience, if Bailly is still doing stupid stuff in a couple of seasons time then he'll get more stick IMO.

criticalanalysis

Bailly's general performances can basically be summed up as: :lol::annoyed::mad::smirk::houllier::drool::rolleyes::lol:

I saw the first half again and apart from a few instances I felt he came out far too much and was caught in no man's land. However, that's what separates him from the others. That sheer confidence/eagerness to affect the game and do the defensive work on the front foot.

Mad bastard, who will make mistakes but you know it will only add to his progressive game.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Hope he's not injured. Sevilla's Correa and Muriel will have a much harder time counterattacking him than Lindelöf.

AR87

Agree but I do believe Bailly when in form elevates our team in a way none of our other CBs. There's an arrogance about his play which elevates us as a team. I feel the same about Pogba, though of late he he hasn't shown it.

3KDré

Jones was also the reason for the first goal being conceded. Completely different scenarios as Bailly hadn’t made a noticeable error all game, in his first game back from injury.

Mr Smith

My goodness we've missed him. What a player.

Still think Bailly-Jones is our best CB partnership and would love to see them together again.

Hawks2008

Mammoth performance tbh, we've really missed him. Not gonna hold the own goal against him, it was a bit of a freak incident that somehow crept in.

Jaybomb

Cause Jones cost us the fecking game.

Not just with the own goal but the first goal aswell.

We didn’t lose today and a lot of that was due to Bailly’s defending. That’s why.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I can't believe how similar he is to Vidic. You just feel like you have Vidic on the pitch every time he plays. Phenomenal defender. How is he only 23? He'll be the main reason we will have a lot of success the next 10 years.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

I somewhat agree with this. People have come to conclusions and they post to fit that narrative.

Saying that both own goals were not carbon copy. Jones should have used left leg to clear, instead to tried to adjust this right to clear which ended up in the net.

Bailly did right thing going with left, he made a mess as ball his heel. Also maybe I'm wrong here, I thought there was slight deflection of McTominay there

mav_9me

Watching him today I realised what he has over the others. He can sniff out danger waaaay earlier than them. He'll occasionally step up into midfield to break up an attack earlier. With the others the defending is always reactive never proactive requiring lots of last ditch stuff and keeper interventions. That's only the mental side, let's not even talk about the physical and how strong he is in the tackle and composed he is on the ball.

That OG though. Had to feign an injury to cover up his embarrassment :lol:
Well said. To add to that he is also very quick off the mark which helps his proactive game.

Love him. If lindelof could cement his spot and Bailly could stay fit solves a fundamental problem for us.

Lam

No, it isn't. Bailly got into the right position and did the right thing of going with his left instead of his natural foot. Unlucky it hit the heal.

In Jones' case, he was in a bad position and made the mistake of going with his right foot which increases the chance of something going wrong. Jones made two mistakes leading to the goal while Bailly was 1/4th of a feet away from clearing the ball away to safety.

Trizy

It wasn't long ago I was speaking about Bailly having world class potential and he being out best defender by miles. Yet some on the Caf was spouting shite that he seems to get better rating the longer he's out (as in we thought he was much better than he is since we had not seen him in some time).

It isn't an illusion. He's always been this good.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Thought he was brilliant yesterday. The really does take our defense to a new level. The speed at which he covers ground is ridiculous. Gives me much more confidence heading into the Sevilla game

A-man

Trophies are hard to compete, as it depends on so many factors. And I really don't measure CB by the amount of goals he's scored. Baresi only scored like 17 goals in his whole career. Desailly had 23, Ferdinand had 14 goals.
To win all trophies you can win, you need to play in great teams. Ramos played in Spain during their best years and plays in Real during great years. But he has also performed in those big big matches and even meant the difference in some of them. Until Bailly does, if he ever does, we aren't able to compare how they perform at top level. A good example of what I mean is Thiago Silva. A few eyars ago many called him the best CB in the world, but now a few years later he has proven to not have the nerves for the big games. He even refused to take a penalty in a shoot-out despite being the captain. I see nothing in Bailly that indicates anything like this, but I did not see it in Silva either.

You are right, most great defenders score very few goals. This where Ramos is a bit unique. Traditionally it has been the defensive skills that define the centreback, but now it takes more than that. Taking part in the build up, good feet and good passes, goals, etc. Ramos has got all those qualities.

Different players are measured by different standards. If it was Smalling, Jones or Lindelöf who had made this pretty cruical mistake it would have been a big deal. Now people just think it is so much fun. To be honest I think Bailly could have done one more big mistake like this without being called all the names under the sun.

eat_grass

He plays like a freaking warrior. Love watching him play defense as much as I enjoy watching Lingard's or Martial's offense when they're on a roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.