g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The players need to be sacked, not the manager. Bring someone else in an the new cycle starts again. What's the point? About 80 percent of the team are not good enough.
I feel that we go round on this topic because some of you don’t realise the volume of player turnover

HookedOnAPhelan

In the context of how we usually get battered, I was pleased to not be humiliated and mauled in this game.

If I take off my United goggles and look at the game without the red tints on, we were objectively poor, which isn't shocking but still not to standard.
We're missing 3/4 of our main backline, and all of their backups, and were forced to play our best midfielder from last season (who's looking completely finished this season) in defence. Our best player (Bruno) was missing, and also his "backup" (if you can call Mount that), as was the player supposed to be our talisman, who despite his flaws almost always scores in big games.

And still we made it a close game against the team who for the second season running have given City a run for their money (and who might yet win the title).

Again, I understand wanting Ten Hag out, but give some credit where it's due.

hobbers

These posts coming one after another did make me chuckle.

Regardless I dont think today’s performance is the one to be entirely derisory or critical of.

We have evidence again that he can set up to defend if needed but that our issue is doing so whilst also maintaining a significant attacking threat.

That comes down to player quality and availability in my book.
But also more evidence that he either plays Oleball and relies on Rashford/Bruno moments or plays suicide ball and we concede 30 shots.

Our attacking play is staggeringly bad in both setups.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Agreed, after they went ahead they were extremely conservative and didn't have any real reason to risk the lead to add more goals.
Of course they had a reason. 1-0 against any home side is a position you never want to be in when a draw ends your season.

United simply did a good job of breaking up play and we got the ball forward quite well. Deciding that their strategy was '1-0 is great' and they could have stepped up 2 gears and scored comfortably if they wanted to is doing a disservice to United.

Bobski

Setting up the team for failure for no good reason. Really exacerbating the weaknesses of a number of our players by making them overextend and do things they can't do. Making Casemiro run in acres of space when at his time in career cycle the distances he should cover should be even shorter - there's a reason why you put runners around the older legs and have them read the play and sweep up, ala Real with Kroos. The list is endless.

Even if his grand plan was to switch to the system he has in his head, he had absolutely no need to do it this season and so abruptly, and with the incorrect personnel. Playing conventional football, we aren't half as bad as some seem to think. Even if Rashford was carrying us in terms of goals last season, we were harder to play against and more able to keep opponents out whilst foraging for goals ourselves. He literally took all of that away from the team in one fell swoop, then put ill-suited players in positions to run his own system prematurely, and that tanked us.

We mightn't have gotten 4th ultimately, but we would have made a very fair crack of it if he hadn't dicked around to such an extreme extent. He showed awful, awful foresight in moving his pieces too soon, also.
Infinity x this.

I don't see a credible rational for setting up this way, read a lot of comments of how he had to move on from deep block and counter football but that and this are not the only 2 options.

criticalanalysis

The only silver lining to our abysmal results is that surely he will go at the end of the season.

I had really hoped he would change us for the good after last season but this is diabolical.

In some perverse universe, if he's still here next season I can see us going back to some stability and progression but I'm not sure I want to envision that right now.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We're missing 3/4 of our main backline, and all of their backups, and were forced to play our best midfielder from last season (who's looking completely finished this season) in defence. Our best player (Bruno) was missing, and also his "backup" (if you can call Mount that), as was the player supposed to be our talisman, who despite his flaws almost always scores in big games.

And still we made it a close game against the team who for the second season running have given City a run for their money (and who might yet win the title).

Again, I understand wanting Ten Hag out, but give some credit where it's due.
If you notice, I've not gone in on anything about today, and even defended Garnacho in the matchday thread. I'm aware of our predicament, which is why I spoke of red tints and not taking the objective stance.

I had zero expectation of us getting anything out of this game, and am very happy we kept the score down.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I get we've had unprecedented injuries but I refuse to believe we don't have anyone in the youth teams who can step up as opposed to playing AWB out of position and the ever underperforming Casemiro at CB.
Is it unprecedented? I'm pretty sure that we have had similar or worse injury crisis in 15/16, iirc at some point we had 13 or 16 players out at the same time.

mu4c_20le

There were definitely seasons where we had to play a lot of kids, Kambwala barely had to play in this one so I'd be inclined to think our manager is full of it

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There were definitely seasons where we had to play a lot of kids, Kambwala barely had to play in this one so I'd be inclined to think our manager is full of it
Interestingly in 15/16 most agreed that LVG needed to go but that season we managed to get 66 points and were fighting for a CL spot until the last day.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That doesn’t negate my point. Because I’ve also seen what you post…
I've had idiot posts calling me a cultists when I agree he should be sacked. I wouldn't count on it mate.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
I sawy mate who is close to INEOS

He's gone , asked him outright. Said again decision made bye bye ten hag after cup final.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Infinity x this.

I don't see a credible rational for setting up this way, read a lot of comments of how he had to move on from deep block and counter football but that and this are not the only 2 options.
I think something all the top guys have about them is cunning and minds that project with a certain prescience. They might play in the now, but they also have a plan mapped out for the next season, or even the one after that, and they will systematically, silently and methodically work towards what they want with subtlety, most times and extract all that can be extracted from the personnel they have at their disposal whilst also planning for life without them, mostly unbeknownst to the players in question. If they want to get to C from A, they come up with a solid B in the interim; they don't stumble and bumble and uproot unnecessarily and they don't work against the best interests of what they have to deploy.

There is an echo chamber when it comes to Casemiro that he was a really bad signing because he fell off a cliff, but what the top managers do is cater for someone like him and his game, and even as he's in the door, are planning for his decline and his replacement, either dropping said player next to him, or rotating with him or even intensifying their search for his successor whilst using the [borrowed] time as a buffer. They don't have this player running around in systems that will utterly exacerbate their decline whilst stripping them of all the armour that made them so brilliant in the first place.

There's a theme with ten Hag that I didn't see coming, because I thought he was a brilliant strategist first and foremost and that such things would all be elementary for him. Instead, he's fostered the slowest midfield cohort in the league at the same time as stripping the midfield of its best athlete by far, and made them play the most manic football in the league. That's sabotage, as far as I am concerned. I don't know what goes through his mind to execute such ill-considered methodology, methodology even the most simple observation stated would absolutely crash and burn the moment it was announced.

Anyway, I'm not going to trudge through old ground, and actually re-engage in something I've accepted is folly, suffice it to say, the man lost his mind the moment last season concluded, and should have had the keys taken from him way, way, way back for it. He hasn't shown the nous or brilliance I expect from the calibre of manager I wish for us to have here. In fact, he's proven to be amateurish, which is a massive disappointment and lends weight to the job being too big for him.

city-puma

It’s a game literally to stop being embarrassing. The team achieved it. It really has nothing to fight with each other here anymore. The writing is on the wall for a few months already. Just be patient to finish this embarrassing season.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
The penalty for fake ITK posts is immediate ban. Mods!
I'm not ITK I'm just relaying information.
I told you guys about INEOS taking over back in like march last year and told you it would be done in October, admittedly it took until December but we all know it got delayed.

Same person I heard that from has told me twice on separate occasions that they are moving him on. These guys are ruthless and don't have time to wait to get it right.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Interestingly in 15/16 most agreed that LVG needed to go but that season we managed to get 66 points and were fighting for a CL spot until the last day.
Because his football was boring and outdated and he had no plan to improve it.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
But also more evidence that he either plays Oleball and relies on Rashford/Bruno moments or plays suicide ball and we concede 30 shots.

Our attacking play is staggeringly bad in both setups.
Out of interest what style of play do you think we could have played today that was significantly better and more attacking than what we tried?

You wanted to see tactical flexibility he shows it despite a severely weakened first XI and still with the negetive.

I don’t think you’re going to be happy watching United for another 2/3 seasons regardless of manager.
Infinity x this.

What options do you believe are available to us with Casemiro and Evans at CB?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I told you guys about INEOS taking over back in like march last year and told you it would be done in October, admittedly it took until December but we all know it got delayed.

Same person I heard that from has told me twice on separate occasions that they are moving him on. These guys are ruthless and don't have time to wait to get it right.
I believe you. Don't disappoint me now.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Among the people who are still backing EtH, I'm really not sure what are they seeing in him for us to retain him? And I don't really care about today's result, as it was against one of the strongest sides in the league.

If we talk about injuries - most of these are muscle injuries, and most of these players are barely ever rotated (not even in meaningless games, and games against teams that are a couple of divisions lower than us). Plus, I don't think the expectations he's put on fans on Licha when he returns. If anything, he's pretty much been set up for failure, because the expectation is that licha is the difference between us clinging on to top half finish and us finishing in top 3-4 or higher. Ofcourse when we don't do that, it'll be "Licha's injury fecked him, and he isn't the same player"

We want to talk about transfers/structure/squad -He's pretty much signed an entire XI, barring a CB and RB I think.

And lastly, let's talk about the tactics. (I honestly don't care about the style as long as we are entertaining - it may be long ball or counters or tiki-taka). His tactics are continuously bringing outeither the worst in every player or ensuring that their primary strengths are not being utilized at the very least. Casemiro - his legs are gone and should be sold - but he's being asked to cover unreasonable amount of ground. The back 4 literally has no protection. Playing AWB on the left ensures that his tacking is useless, Bruno playing deeper means that he can't play those dangerous passes, Hojlund barely gets any service, Onana, whose ball playing ability was hailed has been pinging long balls for so long with us not having any attacker who's exceptional in the air, Rashford is playing too wide and the LB behind him has just rotated between Dalot and AWB and Reguillon, Maguire was playing as the 2nd striker in the last 15 mins, and with his pace was asked to get back into position in defence when we lost the ball. Mainoo is being asked to do too much, and I don't think he should be pushing that high up that often.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Don’t doubt it, really. Is this irrespective of the result in the final?

crossy1686

career ending
Any idea who we’re getting as manager?
It's going to be Potter or Southgate. They're going to go British and someone who's used to working under a setup like the one they're setting up currently. I doubt they're going to feck around and give someone time to learn on the job or get used to it.

The-Mezzala

Standards were a lot higher then. I think we just haven’t been the same since it all we went bad under Ole. Even last season. We had a very favourable draw in the Cup and had a really good spell mid season. But there were signs then that Ten Hag needed to be questioned. His in game management is his biggest problem. He cant change a game or see one out. His record against the bigger teams in the league is abysmal. Even Ole got a few wins over City.

stevoc

It's almost certainly just because it was against Arsenal. We'll go back to our usual suicidal style against Newcastle and Brighton, then try to be compact again against City in the final.
Yeah sadly I think you're right.