Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

stevoc

Saf didn't do that either really , we had a 2nd and then went seriously backwards for a good while ,the football was crap we were also the biggest spenders of the time . Money is relative .

Hindsight is a wonderful thing . By your own standards , if it was up to you , we'd have sacked Saf and those incredible times you mention , most likely wouldn't have happened.
Let's not forget we had to sack a manager who won the FA Cup the year before to hire Fergie.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m very much in the ETH out camp however to replace him with McKena, De Zerbie or Southgate is a non starter

Poch or Tuchel I can just about stomach however would it be the worst thing to give ETH 10 games next season with 5 or 6 Ineos signings?

I think it’s win/win scenario if he starts with 7 or 8 prem wins out of 10 and a good run in Europa then maybe his superpower is resilience and his ability to adapt finally.
Giving him 1/4 of the season is pointless. A new manager would have a better change if he had preseason with them.
so, Either keep him or don’t.

SteveCoppellFan

If there was a major stand out manager available then yes I would probably make that switch.

There are potentially good managers out there but all of them come with a risk.

This season has been a train wreck based on performances but these players have proven many times they can just down tools and not care.

If ETH got a few decent additions and got rid of some of these chancers we have as footballers then I would accept another season with him to see how it goes.

Honestly though, I think he's leaving so its a moot opinion.

golden_blunder

Staff
There is no denying that winning the FA cup gives ETH a huge boost.

I will say I've gone from must sack to I'd be okay seeing how he does with the last year of his contract.

His main flaws: Stubbornness, inability to make the right subs/tactical changes and bad talent recognition still remain though.
And a shitty judge of character or bereft of a moral compass

golden_blunder

Staff
Lots of hurt ManUtd fans that are sad we won.

You just have to accept that it is another trophy. 2 in 2 years. Despite having injuries destroying us during season, media having their ABU agenda and VAR and referees giving some wierd decision where we could have 20+ more points.
:rolleyes: At least it’s a new narrative

stevoc

Not really fair. He wasn't trying to implement a new system last season at all. There's no doubt if he had stuck to last season's tactics we would have done better. But that's not why he was brought in.

However trying to implement a high press with Casemiro, Maguire and Johnny Evans was little short of suicidal.

According to Erik Casemiro was a big part of his plans to play alongside FDJ.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
It is clear the players and match going fans want him to stay.
Media and watch from home fans pushing a different narrative.

If they don't want me, I will go somewhere else and win trophies, because that is what I do.... stunning from the man himself. Love to see it.

Rista

I’m very much in the ETH out camp however to replace him with McKena, De Zerbie or Southgate is a non starter

Poch or Tuchel I can just about stomach however would it be the worst thing to give ETH 10 games next season with 5 or 6 Ineos signings?

I think it’s win/win scenario if he starts with 7 or 8 prem wins out of 10 and a good run in Europa then maybe his superpower is resilience and his ability to adapt finally.
10 games is literally nothing, you can't start a season with a manager you have so little faith in. For people who think this game is where we turn the corner, just remember the Liverpool game and what happened after it.

stevoc

With all respect, the poll results and people chanting for ETH to leave, explains why this club has been in shambles for a decade.

You guys finally got a coach that wins things, that installs a winning mentality despite the bad league performance (most of it due to injuries), a coach that obviously is loved by its players, a coach that improves young talents just like he did at Ajax. Has he made any mistakes? Sure! But after 2 wins and 3 finals in 2 seasons, asking for him to be sacked is just insane. It's time for stability, obviously with the 2 defenders back the performance was much better than it was in the league, so things are looking better moving forward, a few good signs and less injuries and he's the right man for this job in my opinion.

Or you know what? Just sack him and enter another decade of drought and another decade of being in shambles, if you do, you deserve this.
You say that like we haven't had 2 defenders available for 95% of the season.

The performance being better was mostly down to abandoning the suicidal tactics he's been employing all season.

Amarsdd

What if its the same league performances continued onto the first 10 games of the next season? Then sack him? Isn't that exactly what we don't want?
And I'm not even in the ETH out camp; I'm more of I don't care either way camp given there is no outstanding manager to be brought in.
And Ineos I think are in a bit of a pickle in terms of this decision. Anything less than a good start to the next season, if its with ETH, they'll be crucified for not taking a decisive action to get a new manager in after a dreadful league season, and if its a new manager, they'll be crucified for not continuing on with ETH.

AndySmith1990

10 games is literally nothing, you can't start a season with a manager you have so little faith in. For people who think this game is where we turn the corner, just remember the Liverpool game and what happened after it.
That's the problem, people choose not to remember and instead change their opinions on the last game played. How many false dawns have we had over the past decade?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Time or matches?
We've had the most in terms of separate time loss injuries in the league. We've had the second most individual players injured. We have the worst injury weeks where players are out at any one time.

In terms of minutes missed by injured or unavailable players it's 6th, with Malacia not counting as he was injured before the start of the season.

Not sure there's anything to flag the concentration of injuries in one area and how long that lasted for.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Our premier league campaign has been a mess. Not good enough and under most circumstances it should lead to ETH getting fired. However, it is a complicated call.

He has won two trophies already and lost one final. After our last 10 years, can you fire a manager that is bringing us silverware?

Furthermore, players clearly respect and love him. After everything that has happened over the last years, can you fire a manager that has players support?

This season has been a mess, but there is a good case to say that injuries played a big part. Missing Martinez, Varane and Shaw clearly impacted our capacity to play how ETH want us to play. He has been stubborn at times, but he is still the same manager that he was last year, when most of us were praising him.

INEOS has a big call to make here. Hope they take their time to do a full review of what happened and that for once, we have competent people making a decision. I can see ETH staying and getting fired. There are reasons for both.

Maybe due to recency bias, I would like him to stay. However, I think INEOS will want to show power and will fire him.
Yes he can still be sacked after 2 trophies in 2 seasons.
And I have seen no evidence at all that the players love and respect him. On the contrary in many cases.

Finishing 8th is nothing like good enough for a club like United.

In my view, we need a new start with a new administration and organisation.
We all know we need a major clear out.

Yes yesterday was wonderful.
But we must judge him over the season. And football at the highest level has no room for sentiment. It is about winning.

stevoc

We've had the most in terms of separate time loss injuries in the league. We've had the second most individual players injured. We have the worst injury weeks where players are out at any one time.

In terms of minutes missed by injured or unavailable players it's 6th, with Malacia not counting as he was injured before the start of the season.

Not sure there's anything to flag the concentration of injuries in one area and how long that lasted for.
OK, which team has had players miss the most matches due to injury?

stevoc

Winning a trophy against Man City ought to be huge for Ten Hag's tenure. That was a full strength Man City side, desperate to win, with Guardiola going ballistic on the touchline - and Erik Ten Hag came out on top.

It doesn't make sense to stick with Ten Hag through a difficult season and then part ways after he's won a cup final no-one gave him a chance of winning. Hasn't he just vindicated the reason why you stuck with him?

To be fair, he generally finished the season on a high note having got players like Lisandro back and decided to play a genuine DM instead of having no midfield presence.

And it makes even less sense to replace a trophy winner with a guy who has finished second in the Championship.

The only way it could be justified is if you were replacing him with a top manager, like Guardiola or Ancelotti, but that is not going to happen and is bad optics anyway. We're choosing from prospects and coaches who are arguably on Mourinho-esque downward spirals.

It's better just to stick with ETH and see where it goes next season.

Amrabat has been fit and available for months why didn't he play him sooner?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The risk to have a poor season with him is there and then mid season so much more difficult to find a good new coach. Tough call

edgecutter

If there was a major stand out manager available then yes I would probably make that switch.

There are potentially good managers out there but all of them come with a risk.

This season has been a train wreck based on performances but these players have proven many times they can just down tools and not care.

If ETH got a few decent additions and got rid of some of these chancers we have as footballers then I would accept another season with him to see how it goes.

Honestly though, I think he's leaving so its a moot opinion.
Eric has filled the squad with a lot of his signings and most of them of been abysmal. He has to take most of the blame for what was an absolute clusterfeck of a season. The set up of the team, constantly playing underperforming players and not giving guys on the bench a chance and the fact that he needed nearly 50 games to realise that we are a leaky sieve and need some bodies in midfield.

He's also got one year left on his contract. Are we really going to renew his deal when this season has proven that we have gone backwards, missing out on the champions league and allowed spurs, chelsea, Aston villa and Newcastle all to finish ahead of us?

I'm delighted we won yesterday. One of the best moments we have had in years, but if he is sacked he cannot have any complaints. The Anthony transfer alone should be enough.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I am very torn on this. The league position he deserves the sack. However where do we go from there? If they go for McKenna because he is the sexy name at the moment, someone who has not managed in the PL, never managed in Europe. He would need a lot of changes in that team and support from above. Biggest of all he would need patience and I am not entirely sure he would get it, especially from the fanbase. If he deserves patience why not ETH who has brought us two trophies in two years? Poch is a good manager and good with young players, but people bring up he has never won anything of note, Tuchel has, but ends up falling out with people. Frank has not got experience at a top club, although he does appear to be a good coach. Southgate is a good man manager, but has shown he cannot adapt teams when the pressure is on. Maybe we just need to to take on either Poch or Tuchel, hope it works while keeping an eye on McKenna and how he does in the PL. If he isn't going to stay at Ipswich then Brighton would give him the environment to succeed, Chelsea wouldn't in my opinion.

Trequarista10

You say that like we haven't had 2 defenders available for 95% of the season.

The performance being better was mostly down to abandoning the suicidal tactics he's been employing all season.
True. This was his biggest downfall this season. He seems to have fixed it at the bitter end. Better late than never though I suppose.

If ETH is willing to go into next season playing a non-suicidal midfield then I think he could do just as well as any of the other candidates. Either way, the bigger issue will be what to do with all the attacking midfielders in the squad - Eriksen, Mount, McTominay and Bruno who really should all be competing for 1 position - and the lack of reliable defensive mids - this is a problem of ETH's own creation, especially the Mount signing, but I'd be interested to see him attempt to fix it next season. Ultimately I think the board/DoF need to be having these conversations with ETH. Worst case scenario is we stick with ETH, and we start next season with a lone DM and Bruno + Mount/McT bombing forwards leaving us exposed. Think we'd struggle defensively even with prime Rio and Vidic in that set up.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Eric has filled the squad with a lot of his signings and most of them of been abysmal. He has to take most of the blame for what was an absolute clusterfeck of a season. The set up of the team, constantly playing underperforming players and not giving guys on the bench a chance and the fact that he needed nearly 50 games to realise that we are a leaky sieve and need some bodies in midfield.

He's also got one year left on his contract. Are we really going to renew his deal when this season has proven that we have gone backwards, missing out on the champions league and allowed spurs, chelsea, Aston villa and Newcastle all to finish ahead of us.

I'm delighted we won yesterday. One of the best moments we have had in years, but if he is sacked he cannot have any complaints. The Anthony transfer alone should be enough.
Then surely that is more about us being bloody stupid enough to have a heirarchy that knows nothing about football and let him choose the players, when he didn't do it at Ajax. That is our fault in a way. The setup is now going to be different and he will be asked what he needs and then they get the players, so more position wise than specific players.

golden_blunder

Staff
I am very torn on this. The league position he deserves the sack. However where do we go from there? If they go for McKenna because he is the sexy name at the moment, someone who has not managed in the PL, never managed in Europe. He would need a lot of changes in that team and support from above. Biggest of all he would need patience and I am not entirely sure he would get it, especially from the fanbase. If he deserves patience why not ETH who has brought us two trophies in two years? Poch is a good manager and good with young players, but people bring up he has never won anything of note, Tuchel has, but ends up falling out with people. Frank has not got experience at a top club, although he does appear to be a good coach. Southgate is a good man manager, but has shown he cannot adapt teams when the pressure is on. Maybe we just need to to take on either Poch or Tuchel, hope it works while keeping an eye on McKenna and how he does in the PL. If he isn't going to stay at Ipswich then Brighton would give him the environment to succeed, Chelsea wouldn't in my opinion.
Re ETH, the difference between keeping him and a new coach is we already know how he managed in crisis - poorly. He seems to manage for his ego rather than what’s best for the team

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Heart says keep him. Head says keep him. He gets one more season.

Better football, top 4, consistency and a good cup run is what is needed.

golden_blunder

Staff
Me too :lol:

I wanted him gone but you can’t deny that he has won 2 trophies in 2 years. The league form has been absolutely shit and he’s tactics has been horrendous throughout the season but for some reason our last few games has been pretty good.
I would say that it’s simply best to judge over s season than on one match

My only Eric

I think the reason we have so many injuries this season is because of the midfieldless tactics.

Neutralizing the opponents plan is mostly a job for the midfielders and defenders, but the way we played this season placed that burden solely on the defenders. This means they have to work harder than usual, which means more injuries for them. It’s made worse by the manager refusing to change things through 50 odd games.

If the club decide to stick with him, give him a clear warning to abstain from doughnut football. Also take transfer veto off him. Then back him with quality players and ship out lazy players and average quality players.

If he insists on lé doughnut, sack him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Re ETH, the difference between keeping him and a new coach is we already know how he managed in crisis - poorly. He seems to manage for his ego rather than what’s best for the team
He won a major trophy during an injury crisis, back to back trophies in his time at the club despite an unprecedented injury crisis.

Paul778

An insider said on one of the podcasts like around christmas that he wasn't a man manager. He was too dry. Sometimes you need a manager who can coax you into things rather than just tell you.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
however would it be the worst thing to give ETH 10 games next season with 5 or 6 Ineos signings?
We had terrible start of last season with full team. What do you think you will see in those ten games that you haven't already seen?

Also, we will miss out some decent managers available, you don't sack your manager after ten games into a new season ffs.