Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
With all respect, the poll results and people chanting for ETH to leave, explains why this club has been in shambles for a decade.

You guys finally got a coach that wins things, that installs a winning mentality despite the bad league performance (most of it due to injuries), a coach that obviously is loved by its players, a coach that improves young talents just like he did at Ajax. Has he made any mistakes? Sure! But after 2 wins and 3 finals in 2 seasons, asking for him to be sacked is just insane. It's time for stability, obviously with the 2 defenders back the performance was much better than it was in the league, so things are looking better moving forward, a few good signs and less injuries and he's the right man for this job in my opinion.

Or you know what? Just sack him and enter another decade of drought and another decade of being in shambles, if you do, you deserve this.
Another decade of drought ? What are you talking about ?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
There is no denying that winning the FA cup gives ETH a huge boost.

I will say I've gone from must sack to I'd be okay seeing how he does with the last year of his contract.

His main flaws: Stubbornness, inability to make the right subs/tactical changes and bad talent recognition still remain though.

LDUred

Winning a trophy against Man City ought to be huge for Ten Hag's tenure. That was a full strength Man City side, desperate to win, with Guardiola going ballistic on the touchline - and Erik Ten Hag came out on top.

It doesn't make sense to stick with Ten Hag through a difficult season and then part ways after he's won a cup final no-one gave him a chance of winning. Hasn't he just vindicated the reason why you stuck with him?

To be fair, he generally finished the season on a high note having got players like Lisandro back and decided to play a genuine DM instead of having no midfield presence.

And it makes even less sense to replace a trophy winner with a guy who has finished second in the Championship.

The only way it could be justified is if you were replacing him with a top manager, like Guardiola or Ancelotti, but that is not going to happen and is bad optics anyway. We're choosing from prospects and coaches who are arguably on Mourinho-esque downward spirals.

It's better just to stick with ETH and see where it goes next season.

Last edited:

locomojito

Supports
PSV
Another decade of drought ? What are you talking about ?
as a figure of speech. He reached 3 finals in 2 seasons and won 2 of them. How many has Arteta won in the past few years? And yet he gets the confidence. UTD is one of the hardest if not hardest clubs to manage but he came and did what he promised, win trophies. Now everyone is chanting for him to leave, and then what? Another reset, another project, another process that would need a few years. You will never get your Ferguson if you keep your coaches after 2 season. I can't believe for all the people asking for him to leave after reaching 3 finals in 2 years with this team... seriously

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Fanbase is fickle as feck and a lot of people here have a memory of a goldfish. Scamming a win against City doesnt undo his horrible work this season. We ended up with MINUS goal difference (!!!) and have our worst finish ever since I dont know when. Also that CL campaign was disastrous. He got a good send off and its time for us to start a new page. The best analogy is a husband who keeps beating his wife for a whole year but when he brings her to a fancy christmas dinner she decides to stay because of that one moment. That's how dumb the argument of keeping him is. We were playing Ole ball while having 27% possession and I dont see any of his replacement who cannot do that either.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
as a figure of speech. He reached 3 finals in 2 seasons and won 2 of them. How many has Arteta won in the past few years? And yet he gets the confidence. UTD is one of the hardest if not hardest clubs to manage but he came and did what he promised, win trophies. Now everyone is chanting for him to leave, and then what? Another reset, another project, another process that would need a few years. You will never get your Ferguson if you keep your coaches after 2 season. I can't believe for all the people asking for him to leave after reaching 3 finals in 2 years with this team... seriously
The way I see it is that football is simply more than just getting trophies, that's why Arteta is getting some peace because despite being trophyless, they're playing well and have improved league wise over the years. I'm sure by next season, if Arteta doesn't deliver a trophy, most gooners would want him out.
Hell, even right now I know many of them who wanna see him sacked.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
My view on it is that he is better than he's shown at the club. He has been unlucky with injuries but his fate was sealed by our Champions League performance, assessment of players particularly around recruitment, but also throwing so many points away after making bad substitutions.

I think he'll find a good club, we'll find a manager who is the owners guy and fits the new model and hopefully part on good terms
Very well sumed up. A nice ending to an otherwise abysmal season, but it shouldnt change anything.

We are looking for a manager who can win the big trophies and in that regard i have no confidence in him

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Poch who had a final against a worse team than the one we played today in an injury crisis and decided to sit back and play for pens? Poch who only finished above us in an absolutely appalling season because of two dodgy pens at Stamford Bridge? Poch whose legacy defining career highlight after 15 years in management is "did pretty well with Spurs for a few seasons without actually winning anything"? Poch who failed to win the French league with the Harlem Globetrotters?

That Poch?
The most overrated manager imo. People remember him for that 1 season at Spurs. Since then he was mediocre at best. I rather give ETH another chance

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Narrative? Have you even watched the games buddy?
I'd ask whether you have? Other than maybe Rashford (and arguably Casemiro for a month or two), it's clear that all the players have been trying their best out there. There were just being set up to fail in with a formation and tactical playstyle that made it almost impossible for them.

It's absolutely nothing like what happened in the Ole/Rangnick season when the players were just going through the motions.

McTerminator

With all respect, the poll results and people chanting for ETH to leave, explains why this club has been in shambles for a decade.

You guys finally got a coach that wins things, that installs a winning mentality despite the bad league performance (most of it due to injuries), a coach that obviously is loved by its players, a coach that improves young talents just like he did at Ajax. Has he made any mistakes? Sure! But after 2 wins and 3 finals in 2 seasons, asking for him to be sacked is just insane. It's time for stability, obviously with the 2 defenders back the performance was much better than it was in the league, so things are looking better moving forward, a few good signs and less injuries and he's the right man for this job in my opinion.

Or you know what? Just sack him and enter another decade of drought and another decade of being in shambles, if you do, you deserve this.
Preach.

If the club sack ETH then I can see my love for the club hollowing as well. Don’t think Incould get behind that.

ErikElevenHag

His position still feels borderline untenable after a calamity of a season. our worst on record in the premier league era, it just can't be ignored.

Only real positive is the reaction from the players post match puts to bed any rumours of players downing tools for him, they clearly love him.

The FA Cup win and the lack of a standout candidate however, it wouldnt be a shock if he stayed for his remaining year and see how he gets on.

Acquire Me

I agree. I would be very disappointed if Ineos sacked him now. We must build on this.

zapp

I want Ten Hag to be given another season but I won't complain if he is sacked and the new management want their own guy at the helm. Some of his decisions have been baffling and ultimately might lead to his dismissal. I don't see how sticking to his suicidal setup, conceding heavily and losing far too many games in the process could be considered less demoralizing than changing to a more pragmatic approach when it's not working with the players at his disposal. If he used a similar setup as seen in the last few weeks at a much earlier point in the season do people not think we couldn't have picked up another 10 or 12 points and potentially finished in the CL spots? That might end up being the difference between him being in the job or not.

Reactions: Penna

Bepp_Splatter69

With all due respect, post like this doesn't explain anything about why the club has been in shambles, the last decade.

The reason why we have been so bad is the lack of structure and vision. That way we haven't recruited talented enough players, managers and people at the club. City fired Manchini even trough he was the one who instilled this so called "winning mentality" at City. Guess what, they didn't suddenly begin to lose again.

Fans are way to emotional and reactionary. That is what the poll shows, it doesn't give any reason towards if we should sack Ten Hag or not.

We have won 3 games in a row and suddenly people changes their minds. Even though we didn't play well in any one of those games. This is the foremost reason why we should sack Ten Hag. He hasn't and can't instill a dominating style that can be successful over time. Sure we can win a cup or two, but is that what you want? I want to win champions leagues and premier leagues. Mourinho won trophies, was it the wrong decision to sack him?

I implore everyone to look at the last two seasons and ask yourself, how likely is it that we will win a prem title with Ten Hag. Because in my world the chances are close to 0.

Alex the Red

Super happy with the win yesterday, and the fact that both the men’s and women’s teams won the cup this season.

I think I would like Ten Hag to stay. I can’t see a better option and I don’t think keep changing managers is helpful. Sometimes his substitutions I don’t think benefit the play, also the tactics going into a game, and the apparent lack of changing mid game if they’re not working.

However, yesterday when the players apparently decided they all wanted to put a shift in we beat the best team in the league. The manager was still the same so why hasn’t that happened all season. Most matches I’ve watched it’s been the opposition who’ve put the effort in and that’s been our downfall. If the players can’t be bothered I don’t blame the manager.

JagUTD

I think we give him another year. This season has been crap but during his 2 years at the club there's one thing he's proving to be quite good at. Reaching finals.

We have the makings of a very young side who are already showing they can perform under pressure on the big stage and I think the club need to decide whether they allow this situation to grow or to potentially disrupt it with a new manager.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
A decision will be made next week on him. I can see a lot of people being disappointed. I think they may end up giving him another season.

DJ_21

- Poch
- McKenna
- Southgate
- Potter
- Tuchel
- De Zerbi

These are the names that the press have fed us as being strongly linked as ETH’s successor and safe to say none of them give me much hope nor any major evidence whatsoever that they are the better fit.
Poch may get something out of this squad. His man management is meant to be one of the best around. McKenna I don’t thinks ready yet. Southgate, absolutely no chance. Potter, don’t think he’s good enough at bigger teams. Tuchel, might win a cup in the first season but then will fall of. De Zerbi, plays good football but to open and will lose us a few games heavily and have results like we’ve seen under ETH.

DJ_21

Managed to win the last 3 games of the season. A small turn around, against 3 tough teams. If he stays he has to learn and plan for every game.

DJ_21

I think we give him another year. This season has been crap but during his 2 years at the club there's one thing he's proving to be quite good at. Reaching finals.

We have the makings of a very young side who are already showing they can perform under pressure on the big stage and I think the club need to decide whether they allow this situation to grow or to potentially disrupt it with a new manager.
2 out of 3 finals he’s won which is very good. The first time peps ever lost a domestic final.

Hughie77

Eth spoke very well before and after the game, he was asked difficult questions by Lineker and Shearer and told them straight realy..

Same to the Itv crew as well he was a bit more relaxed with them than the BBC ..

It's all a bit to late though it may seem, winning the FA cup and winning it with a top quality game plan which was stuck to for 97 mins may well save his job. .

statpadder

Can someone post and pin the coventry match highlights. People apparently have the memory of a gold fish. We would not even be in the final if not for a minor offside.

Mcking

Two trophies in two years should never be understated considering where the team has been. There are only about a handful of them available, and I believe management is also about being able to rally the team to turn up when it matters. This style of play crusade these days irks me so much.

He had an unequivocally good first season, and we have had way too many injuries this season for the 8th place finish to be considered a decent gauge. The best performing teams in each season usually have one thing in common — not many injuries to the key players over the course of the season. How many games in the last two seasons were Arsenal missing a significant number of key players? If the injuries, one way or the other decide to pile up next season, they will struggle too.

With changes supposedly being made behind the scenes, we should stick with him. There is no reason to make a change considering how uninspiring the other options are. The players are playing for him, he has had one decent season and another one you cannot realistically judge, and he has trophies in him. Sacking him would just be making a change for the sake of it.

fergosaurus

2 out of 3 finals he’s won which is very good. The first time peps ever lost a domestic final.
Yep. Outside of England, the German cups he lost were on pens and the Copa Del Rey went to extra time. Beating this side in 90 minutes is very impressive.

Uncle Mainoo

Thank god the owners aren’t as reactionary as the fans and Ed Woodward. We would literally be repeating poor decisions over and over again.

Lovely final. Thank you Erik for the knockout trophies. Good luck at your new club.

statpadder

Eth just doesn’t affect the game from the touchline at all unfortunately.

Even yesterday, when everything was under control and Doku started giving AWB a run around, any decent coach would have made a change or instructed a tweak. Instead he just stood there clueless on how to respond.

The amount of space and time we gave Doku really gave me a headache. But not to our coach who is a professional and was looking at it from much closer. How does this happen?

Mike Smalling

Can someone post and pin the coventry match highlights. People apparently have the memory of a gold fish. We would not even be in the final if not for a minor offside.
Yeah, if the refs ignored offside we wouldn’t even be in the final.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
3 finals in two year with this team? We've had a better team than everyone we have faced on the way to each final, apart from Liverpool. Although even they were hit by injuries and playing a number of players from their youth team. It's annoying to see people discredit our players so much, the quality of the players in individual moments has saved this season from being even worse. And on top of that we've got Bruno who is creating more chances than anybody else in the game. Imagine how shite our whole gameplan would look if we took even just his individual brilliance out :lol:

90 + 5min

Lots of hurt ManUtd fans that are sad we won.

You just have to accept that it is another trophy. 2 in 2 years. Despite having injuries destroying us during season, media having their ABU agenda and VAR and referees giving some wierd decision where we could have 20+ more points.

Cyanide

I would like to him to have one more year and that's it. I'm not talking about trophies but I would like to see some real progress. After the next season though if he does not manage good enough it must be 100% goodbye in my opinion.

humdinger

Yesterday was amazing. Into Europa and kicking out some rivals is great fun. But it’s been a terrible season and his team selections and tactics are a huge part of that. I think now is time to part ways and he can be proud of himself and the team for ending it on a high note.

If he does stay I’ll certainly back him but if he fails in the league again there will be no patience afforded and both he and INEOS will be in the firing line.

RedRocket08

- Poch
- McKenna
- Southgate
- Potter
- Tuchel
- De Zerbi

These are the names that the press have fed us as being strongly linked as ETH’s successor and safe to say none of them give me much hope nor any major evidence whatsoever that they are the better fit.
The alternatives don’t look promising do they.. Tuchel’s the only one you’d see as an upgrade based on trophies alone, but you know he’ll be gone in 2-3 seasons from United. I’m not so sure he’ll deliver the big trophies during that tenure with this young team.

I think the manager rightly should get the sack for those performances in the PL, but due to the lack of any good alternatives maybe we should give him his last chance.

Last edited: