Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Red Star One

Lots of hurt ManUtd fans that are sad we won.

You just have to accept that it is another trophy. 2 in 2 years. Despite having injuries destroying us during season, media having their ABU agenda and VAR and referees giving some wierd decision where we could have 20+ more points.
Do you really believe there are “lots of hurt United fans that are sad we won” and that the ABU pundits cost us points this season, or it’s just a rhetorical figure? Sorry but it’s hard for me to imagine anyone thinking this seriously

doubleohseven

The amount of space and time we gave Doku really gave me a headache. But not to our coach who is a professional and was looking at it from much closer. How does this happen?
He relied upon his appointed marker (AWB) to stifle Doku, and that is exactly what happened. Doku's goal was as fortuitous as Garna's.

Think of it from Pep's perspective: how
much did city rely on Doku to get round our block?

EtH did a great job yesterday.

Everytime I watch interviews with him he seems to say the right things.
He was bang on also with regards to what he said to Dutch journalists just beforehand, also, especially this:

“The pundits in England want to score, they want to show they are worth the money, and for that Manchester United is an easy prey. It’s the biggest club in England and possibly in the world.'

Remember, The Guardian 'broke' the scoop regarding ten Hag's impending doom but, if you read that publication, you'll see they cultivate a certain anti-United bias. They're dependent upon ad revenue from their BTL, which is usually filled with 'Surrey' style ABU banter.

Yesterday morning alone had Jonathan Wilson pointlessly compare this campaign to 1990 and how it 'still wasn't enough'. Called ten Hag 'delusional' and considered our injury crisis an afterthought. Barney Ronay insisted no public money for Jim Ratcliffe's OT project, on the morning of a cup final.

Nothing beats the MEN's 'Erik ten Hag has responded to Manchester United's worst start to a league campaign by banning the media', when Luckhurst, and a few others, were rightly suspended for breaching protocol.

Let's be honest, they don't like ten Hag because he knows their game. Same with Ferguson. They'll pursue his removal with great enthusiasm.

TrebleChamp99

Incorrectly predicted ten Hag’s departure
Just a reminder he's leaving and it's already been decided.

His post match comments are just toeing the party line.

Next week I imagine it will be communicated as in not the week coming but the week after.

League cup and top 3 - okay

FA Cup, 8th, bottom of CL group and disastrous injury handling is untenable.

Add in despite all these things INEOS are basically resetting the club with their own appointments keeping just him amongst everything else makes no sense.

He's gone, thank you for the trophies, time to move on.

Personal opinion is I like the guy bit he's not winning the league next season and I imagine he'll struggle to handle the squad again and injuries so he'll likely struggle to get top 4 so I'm not against his sacking.

However my heart says give him another season and I wouldn't be surprised if we won the europa or something, he's a very good cup manager.

But united are not just a cup team.

He'd be an excellent spurs manager.

Bobski

You can't ignore 2 trophies in 2 years despite all the other terrible things. I think we all expected a loss yesterday which would have made getting rid of him much more straightforward.

Do we trust him not to go back to that moronic midfield shape? If he does decent chance we end up with the same issues repeating.

IRELANDUNITED

If that was Klopp yesterday who had won the cup after finishing 8th after a season of dozens of injuries, Shearer and Lineker would have been licking his balls saying how great he is, but because it’s United’s manager they still try put a negative spin on it. Double standards is sickening but it’s understandable because we are the biggest and most envied club in the country.

The Urban Goose

Thank god the owners aren’t as reactionary as the fans and Ed Woodward. We would literally be repeating poor decisions over and over again.

Lovely final. Thank you Erik for the knockout trophies. Good luck at your new club.
Are you saying that not sacking him would be reactionary and Woodward-like?

Good grief, you've got it all back to front there.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Many of us could see very early on in the season that playing with pretty much no midfield was killing us. That he couldn't see it or was too stubborn to change it is grounds for the sack alone. One game of playing Oleball doesn't change it.

Catalandevil

Our premier league campaign has been a mess. Not good enough and under most circumstances it should lead to ETH getting fired. However, it is a complicated call.

He has won two trophies already and lost one final. After our last 10 years, can you fire a manager that is bringing us silverware?

Furthermore, players clearly respect and love him. After everything that has happened over the last years, can you fire a manager that has players support?

This season has been a mess, but there is a good case to say that injuries played a big part. Missing Martinez, Varane and Shaw clearly impacted our capacity to play how ETH want us to play. He has been stubborn at times, but he is still the same manager that he was last year, when most of us were praising him.

INEOS has a big call to make here. Hope they take their time to do a full review of what happened and that for once, we have competent people making a decision. I can see ETH staying and getting fired. There are reasons for both.

Maybe due to recency bias, I would like him to stay. However, I think INEOS will want to show power and will fire him.

The Urban Goose

Many of us could see very early on in the season that playing with pretty much no midfield was killing us. That he couldn't see it or was too stubborn to change it is grounds for the sack alone. One game of playing Oleball doesn't change it.
His reasons for sticking with it were validated yesterday as that was the most intelligent pressing these players have ever done. They will no doubt kick on now and do very well.

He had the same at Ajax, it takes a couple of seasons to bed in but when it does...

And as for calling yesterday "oleball"... that's a hilariously bad take.

90 + 5min

Do you really believe there are “lots of hurt United fans that are sad we won” and that the ABU pundits cost us points this season, or it’s just a rhetorical figure? Sorry but it’s hard for me to imagine anyone thinking this seriously
Never said that pundits cost points. They and journalists have been throwing all kind of negativity at us and that could have affected players and manager. Just like some article day before final. Just like we watched press conference.
Yes, There are fans here who rather saw us lose just to say, tenHag needs sacking.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The decision has already been made
Maybe the win yesterday have put doubts in their minds. We’ll find out by tomorrow hopefully. If nothing’s done by tomorrow then he’s clearly staying. As after tomorrow he’ll want to start his holidays.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
His reasons for sticking with it were validated yesterday as that was the most intelligent pressing these players have ever done.

And as for calling yesterday "oleball"... that's a hilariously bad take.
Yesterday was the absolute opposite of validation of the tactics throughout the season.

Hilariously bad take.

Uncle Mainoo

Are you saying that not sacking him would be reactionary and Woodward-like?

Good grief, you've got it all back to front there.
Yes. It’s what happened when Ole was “supposed” to be an interim manager. He gave us a great moment and Woodward thought we had to give him the job because of it. :lol:

Now a thread that majorly believed it was best to move on are 50/50 on giving him another season because we won a one off knockout game which was always possible.
It’s just not good practice.

We’ve witnessed a year of his flaws and unless those who want him to stay another year are happy to see Bruno as a false 9 and a tactical set up that doesn’t suit the managers principles at all, I don’t get the revision of opinions.

abailey123

Genuinely his set up yesterday was outstanding. Tactically the best I’ve seen us set up. Mid block with players just shuffling horizontally we doubled up on pretty much every city player, when the chance was there to press we pressed as a collective. Smart in what limited possession we had. Brilliant, just brilliant

AaronRedDevil

None of the previous managers has had anywhere near as bad of a go then ETH. Last season was a disaster that was out of his control and still got top 4. This season he basically lost the best of his squad while trying to keep it together. Any team would fall apart with the same amount of injuries. (They better fecking fix that)

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
But it doesn't win the league. Or even get you top four against the current crop. And it's embarrassing against Brentford at home. It's outdated. I want more than fluking the FA Cup.
Im talking about one off matches against city. Different tactics fir different teams

Besides people forget that ole got second with that tactic. People are obsessed with “modern” tactics

Marching On!

Jesus Christ, are people really swayed by one result against City?

We’ve had 38 league games to judge him by, as well as 6 tragic games in the Champions League, and you want more of that? Anyone can turn up for a single game - look at Coventry in the semi-final. A game we fully deserved to lose.

I hope those that want him to stay enjoyed the result against Palace just the other week. There’ll be a lot more of those performances next season, but at least the top Reds on here can enjoy basking in their noble and virtuous position in the bottom half of the table.

Last edited:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Fanbase is fickle as feck and a lot of people here have a memory of a goldfish. Scamming a win against City doesnt undo his horrible work this season. We ended up with MINUS goal difference (!!!) and have our worst finish ever since I dont know when. Also that CL campaign was disastrous. He got a good send off and its time for us to start a new page. The best analogy is a husband who keeps beating his wife for a whole year but when he brings her to a fancy christmas dinner she decides to stay because of that one moment. That's how dumb the argument of keeping him is. We were playing Ole ball while having 27% possession and I dont see any of his replacement who cannot do that either.
totally agree. it’s like spending a year laughing at children with cancer but then thinking giving great ormond street hospital a fiver at christmas makes up for it.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's got one year left on his contract. Give him till December and see what can be done.
It'll never work like that.

If you want him to stay you back him and tie him down, the players what's happening, incoming players, fans, and Ten Hag knows the new owners trust him. If we just let him go into the last year it'll always be there in the background distracting things.

It's fairly clear now that the new owners don't want him, so I'd fully expect people like this to follow through with whatever they decided before yesterday's game, which seems nailed on to be Ten Hag going, and the sooner they communicate this the better.

Giggsyking

- Poch
- McKenna
- Southgate
- Potter
- Tuchel
- De Zerbi

These are the names that the press have fed us as being strongly linked as ETH’s successor and safe to say none of them give me much hope nor any major evidence whatsoever that they are the better fit.
He is better than the laughable options that is being thrown in our face in the last fecking week, fecking Gareth Southgate, Zerbi and a championship manager. The only option being offered I would consider better than him is Tuchel because he actually won big trophies. Otherwise, stick to him until other options become available or another new talent shine.

crossy1686

career ending
He's got one year left on his contract. Give him till December and see what can be done.
We know exactly what he'll do, except this summer we're hamstrung by FFP and will lose Varane and probably a couple of others he thinks are 'vital' to how he wants us to play. They'll most likely be replaced by younger players who won't be as good as the players we're moving on. Do you really think the guy who can't play his system without a left footed CB and De Jong is going to be the guy we need to do this rebuild?

He's not a terrible manager but he's here at the wrong time.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If that was Klopp yesterday who had won the cup after finishing 8th after a season of dozens of injuries, Shearer and Lineker would have been licking his balls saying how great he is, but because it’s United’s manager they still try put a negative spin on it. Double standards is sickening but it’s understandable because we are the biggest and most envied club in the country.
Yeah I thought the same. Lineker and Shearer’s behaviour was completely out of order and closer to bullying than journalism. Mark Chapman on 5Live, I think must have heard that interview not long before because while not referencing it he did say he doesn’t understand the treatment ten Hag gets with journalists because he’s one of the friendliest and most open managers, always happy to give his time, always respectful and never spiky. After seeing those interviews later in the evening (I was out all day so missed the live coverage) it made sense why he said it the way he did.

saivet

One good performance has people forgetting everything else that's happened.

Just like a mediocre performance last season vs City in the final wasn't the basis of our season, nor should a positive one be this season.

GreatDane

Just a reminder he's leaving and it's already been decided.

His post match comments are just toeing the party line.

Next week I imagine it will be communicated as in not the week coming but the week after.

Add in despite all these things INEOS are basically resetting the club with their own appointments keeping just him amongst everything else makes no sense.

He's gone, thank you for the trophies, time to move on.

Personal opinion is I like the guy bit he's not winning the league next season and I imagine he'll struggle to handle the squad again and injuries so he'll likely struggle to get top 4 so I'm not against his sacking.

However my heart says give him another season and I wouldn't be surprised if we won the europa or something, he's a very good cup manager.

But united are not just a cup team.

He'd be an excellent spurs manager.
Hope you're right.
The league should be our bread and butter, not cups.
Wonderful game yesterday, all the best in the future Erik.

Giggsyking

We know exactly what he'll do, except this summer we're hamstrung by FFP and will lose Varane and probably a couple of others he thinks are 'vital' to how he wants us to play. They'll most likely be replaced by younger players who won't be as good as the players we're moving on. Do you really think the guy who can't play his system without a left footed CB and De Jong is going to be the guy we need to do this rebuild?

He's not a terrible manager but he's here at the wrong time.
We should bring back Ole.

Maik2022

He won something in every year.
He inherited a bad squad.
They would have easily qualified in the CL if it wasn't for Onana.
The real problem is MARCUS RASHFORD. If he stays no coach will shine or maybe just one season.
The only problem is his bad transfers and if they don't get Klopp or Guardiola i don't see any other coach do better, this is now an Ineos task.
There are generally no real alternatives, hence Bayern get a coach who couldn't even keep the league.
There are countless examples of coaches like Arteta or Klopp, who had similar bad seasons.
Yes Tuchel or de Zerbi might be better, but it could very well be the same or worse and ETH could be much better.
It just doesn't make sense at this point.

Rista

What manager comes out and says I’ve been disappointing? What message would that send to the team? Would we win a 13th FA cup with a manager like that?
Well, Pep did it yesterday and said he got the tactics wrong and it was all on him.
With all respect, the poll results and people chanting for ETH to leave, explains why this club has been in shambles for a decade.

You guys finally got a coach that wins things, that installs a winning mentality despite the bad league performance (most of it due to injuries), a coach that obviously is loved by its players, a coach that improves young talents just like he did at Ajax. Has he made any mistakes? Sure! But after 2 wins and 3 finals in 2 seasons, asking for him to be sacked is just insane. It's time for stability, obviously with the 2 defenders back the performance was much better than it was in the league, so things are looking better moving forward, a few good signs and less injuries and he's the right man for this job in my opinion.

Or you know what? Just sack him and enter another decade of drought and another decade of being in shambles, if you do, you deserve this.
I'm sorry but fans using one League cup and one FA cup as barometer of success is the mentality of a small club. He wasn't brought in to make us a cup team, it was always going to be a nice bonus, especially for a club of our stature. A cup win has no bearing on "stability", it is in no way an indication of our future. If anything it's the other way around. If owners would really make their decision on who the man to take us to the next level is based on one cup game, then that would explain why we would continue to be in shambles. How do we even begin to talk about "winning mentality" with the disastrous performances for over a year, breaking all kinds of negative records and abysmal league and CL campaigns?

stevoc

This season was an anomaly for injuries, not only in quantity, but also in terms of longevity. Whilst other terms might have numerically matched our injury record, none matched the length of games missed as a result of them.

For this reason, the drop from 3rd to 8th must factor in the above as a major cause. It must, and for that reason, along with the instability of ownership decisions looming overhead, EtH perhaps ought to be afforded the chance to develop the squad he's building with the right infrastructure behind him.

I fear that a hasty sack could come back to impact us.
Where are these stats from?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
He's spent half a billion. Are our squad really that horrendously bad on the ball that for 18 months we get dominated by teams like Fulham and Palace constantly?
No he hasn’t. The club has. Those doing the negotiations have. It’s nothing to do with Erik how much we paid for players.
You can berate him for his target selection and player requests if you must, but the money has never been a managers responsibility. You can hang this on ten Hag.

On the second sentence I’d say we certainly can be that bad on the ball, and our team is does have a knack of raising their game in the matches against bigger clubs and rivals.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Now, let me make a case for Ten Hag.

2 years ago we thought we were getting one the most of progressive possession based coaches in Europe.

It's still possible he is that guy, and the circumstances and profile of squad here has not allowed him to show that.

It feels like he's abandoned his ideal way of playing for short term gain and because it would take too big a squad overhaul to get us playing like a top team should. It also doesn't help that his judge of talent in the transfer market and judgement on squad building has been horrendous.

If he's to stays, we need to
1. The people above the manager should decide to get rid of all old past prime players, injury prone players, players who aren't good enough, and player unsuited to a team who can keep possession. Even if that means getting rid of a couple of players that Ten Hag would rather keep.
2. Give him almost zero control of incoming transfers and employ the right people to make the decision on who we sign.
3. Insist he abandons the transition based style and build a team who can keep possession of a football like a top team should. And the club targets players in the transfer market who fit that mould.
He already told us himself that we would not be playing like Ajax do here and the goal was a world class transition style - in fact to be the best at it.

instead most of the season, no idea what that was. It was neither one or the other

Woziak

One good performance has people forgetting everything else that's happened.

Just like a mediocre performance last season vs City in the final wasn't the basis of our season, nor should a positive one be this season.
I’m very much in the ETH out camp however to replace him with McKena, De Zerbie or Southgate is a non starter

Poch or Tuchel I can just about stomach however would it be the worst thing to give ETH 10 games next season with 5 or 6 Ineos signings?

I think it’s win/win scenario if he starts with 7 or 8 prem wins out of 10 and a good run in Europa then maybe his superpower is resilience and his ability to adapt finally.

AndySmith1990

Maybe the win yesterday have put doubts in their minds. We’ll find out by tomorrow hopefully. If nothing’s done by tomorrow then he’s clearly staying. As after tomorrow he’ll want to start his holidays.
INEOS are serious business people and won't chop and change their mind like the emotional posters on here. Ten Hag is gone

BuzzKillington

It must have been pretty annoying for them tbh, they probably had at least an hours worth of eulogies for Pep sketched out. EtH brought their circle jerk to an early end.