Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Captmfla

According to the article, Chelsea and Newcastle both had more days lost to injuries this season, and both finished above us. And their performance levels were just far far better than ours too, they sit 4th/5th in xPTS, whereas we sit 15th.

That's pretty bad viewing for us.
Haha everyone knows that some players are picking matches to play or to avoid. Some players mysteriously went injured when an big match is coming up.

Judas

Open to offers
The morning after the night before, it's tough, but I still think he has to go. I said back in like January it'll be harsh and rough if he never gets a chances to play for a consistent period with a more healthy squad, and it looks like that's how its going to go. Shite, but it is what it is, tactically he was awful, and he didn't have to be, he chose the type of football he had us playing every week.

Very happy for him and the team that he finishes on a high, even if its a bit bittersweet.

TsuWave

'mutual consent" after an FA cup win is the best for all parties, imo

- United gets to look for a more adaptable manager
- he gets to tout that he won trophies, and use his CV to land somewhere else
- and the people that like him get to pretend he was taking us somewhere despite the horrible football and one of - if not our worst - prem season ever and embarrassing CL run

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
What happened 35 years ago and became a fluke circumstance with the greatest manager to ever live is not particularly relevant.

What is your stance? Because 3 and a half decades ago the most special man to ever grace our club did something incredible we should completely stagnate and never act on clear and obvious indicators that someone is the wrong man for the job?
What it means is that a single season of a low position in the league doesn't necessarily mean you're a crap manager

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
This season was objectively worse than either of those. Less points, less goals scored, more goals conceded than Moyes. By almost every metric we were very fortunate to finish 8th as well.
Are you for real, finishing 8th is objectively worse than being relegated - seriously WTF

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Pretty sure he meant the post-SAF seasons.
Nope he was responding to
Pretty sure SAFs 13th place finish would top that. And for the older folk, the 1974 relegation season would top this as well.

But if you want to talk post SAF, Moyes and Ragnick had way worse league finishes in my view.

locomojito

Supports
PSV
With all respect, the poll results and people chanting for ETH to leave, explains why this club has been in shambles for a decade.

You guys finally got a coach that wins things, that installs a winning mentality despite the bad league performance (most of it due to injuries), a coach that obviously is loved by its players, a coach that improves young talents just like he did at Ajax. Has he made any mistakes? Sure! But after 2 wins and 3 finals in 2 seasons, asking for him to be sacked is just insane. It's time for stability, obviously with the 2 defenders back the performance was much better than it was in the league, so things are looking better moving forward, a few good signs and less injuries and he's the right man for this job in my opinion.

Or you know what? Just sack him and enter another decade of drought and another decade of being in shambles, if you do, you deserve this.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Injuries certainly played their part in a dismal campaign, but people forget that we lost six of our first ten competitive games of the season, with pretty much a full strength squad, minus Mainoo, and for a few of those Martinez. 60% of games lost. That was against Spurs, Arsenal, Bayern, Brighton, Palace and Galatasaray. We scraped past Wolves on the opening day, when we probably should have lost - and they definitely should have had a penalty - and barely got by ten man Forest 3-2.

The writing for this season was on the wall from the beginning. So yes, injuries didn’t help, but let’s not pretend we were any good before them. We weren’t. We were fecking dreadful. The suicidal tactics is what did for us, tactics he persisted with even though he had diminished personnel. Tactics that barely worked when everyone was fit, and were tragic when the squad was depleted.

It’s been a horrendous campaign, and an FA cup win doesn’t erase that or indicate he has any idea what he’s doing. Worst goal difference (negative 1) in 34 years, worst position in PL era history, most goals conceded in a season, most losses in a season, bottom of our CL group. fecking tragic. To be honest it’s frankly amazing he was still in charge for the cup final. I can’t imagine another club where he would be. But he was, he got the win and I am happy for us all, including him. But now it’s time to go.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really arrogant, just can't help himself. Enjoy the win and be dignified. The club will also win trophies without him.
He has conducted himself with class throughout his time here especially on FA cup final day which is reportedly his last match in charge for us. He can be as arrogant as he wants for us this coming week I don’t give a rats ass. We last won English football’s biggest cup EIGHT years ago. This makes us the most successful club in English cup competition history. He can say he’s better than Pep all week and I’ll be fine with it. It doesn’t change the long term decision making process but in the moment feck all this pathetic negativity. Trophies are meant to be savoured.

spwd

I'm genuinly baffled by this take. If you're trolling then well done.
I'm trolling? Feck me half the fecking idiots in here saying give him more time are the ones trolling. 1 single win doesn't wipe out the absolute shit show he's been for a season and a half which going by the last few games could 100% have been avoided. But unfortunately for us this prat has tanked our season unnecessarily while bringing in a load of shit we’re going to struggle to get rid of but yeah I'm the one trolling.
Wake up ffs he's not the messiah /Fergie 2.0!

bringbackbebe

For what it may be worth, this is our first major trophy in 8 years. Have some respect for what's been done FFS.

spwd

He has conducted himself with class throughout his time here especially on FA cup final day which is reportedly his last match in charge for us. He can be as arrogant as he wants for us this coming week I don’t give a rats ass. We last won English football’s biggest cup EIGHT years ago. This makes us the most successful club in English cup competition history. He can say he’s better than Pep all week and I’ll be fine with it. It doesn’t change the long term decision making process but in the moment feck all this pathetic negativity. Trophies are meant to be savoured.
Absolute nonsense, he's thrown everything and everyone under the bus and taken zero responsibility for his shite management all season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Absolute nonsense, he's thrown everything and everyone under the bus and taken zero responsibility for his shite management all season.
What manager comes out and says I’ve been disappointing? What message would that send to the team? Would we win a 13th FA cup with a manager like that?

You keep raging at us winning cup final. I’m going to enjoy it.

Mas Risky

Really arrogant, just can't help himself. Enjoy the win and be dignified. The club will also win trophies without him.
Like it or not, his achievements is tangible, not an empty word such as philosophy or progress. He has every right to protect his reputation. Otherwise, it's a sign of weak mentality.

This season has been a mess but he is not the only one to blame. I can acccept if we decide to move on from him, but we as a fan should also be thankful for what we achieve under him and for being classy throughout his tenure.

My guts tell me that he will be a Bayern manager and if that's happened, he will get his league trophy earlier than us.

adkb

He is the best manager we have had since SAF.

He rightly said that if the club doesnt want me, he will go win somewhere else.

Proper winner. I'd sack the shit players who downed tools all season before I sack him.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
He is the best manager we have had since SAF.

He rightly said that if the club doesnt want me, he will go win somewhere else.

Proper winner. I'd sack the shit players who downed tools all season before I sack him.
Wait, we're back to the "players downed tools" narrative now?

eire-red

Can't escape the fact that before EtH joined we hadn't won anything in like 5 seasons.

It's easy to take for granted the work that has been done to win this trophy despite such a terrible season.

Do I want us playing better, and looking like a proper team? Yes. But EtH manages to win wherever he goes.

It might not be 'sexy' or 'ground-breaking' stuff. He's not overly charismatic, he's clearly not the next SAF, but I just feel like if he stayed here for another number of years, we'd keeping on picking up trophies because that is what he seems to be able to do wherever he goes.

Not many on the potential candidate list can say that.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Narrative? Have you even watched the games buddy?
I've watched every game this season, and what I saw for the most part over the course of the season were players who were very much playing for the manager but either lacked the quality required or the fit for the tactical scheme.

If the players downed tools, how do you explain the cup final performance?

JonIrenicus

Narrative? Have you even watched the games buddy?
I don't think the players have downed their tools. Contrary they seem to love him. But they are not winners, they don't have any grit or desire to achieve great things and that's what's been the crux of our issue ever since SAF left (with the exception of Moyes who took a title winning squad and plummeted it to the bottom). Majority of the players we have are here for the paycheck and that's it. They don't care to represent the shirt or strive to win some gold trinkets, they just want to have fun, party and have the money rolling. And I think with or without Ten Hag it will take a while to fix that, but I prefer it is with than without because we're gonna be restarting this process again. We're already seeing improvements on the youth side with ETH, he's developing some real talents that are shining right now and it'll be a shame to ruin it on the hope of some Jesus-like figure coming in to fix everything. I don't think if Pep took this squad he'd be able to make it play well. Will probably finish 4th, sure, but he won't be doing any miracles or dominating games, that's for sure.

Sgreddevil

From the way he hugged each of the players, it is quite clear those are his last words to the players.
I have been in 100% ETH out camp for quite some time after seeing all the dreadful tactics and lineups he put in this season.
Today he somehow woke up and revert to his pragmatic approach in first season. If he could get maintain the pragmatic approach during the injury crisi. I 'm pretty sure we will have more points and high up on the table. If he could maintain this pragmatism, I will be 50-50 on retaining him since I don't have much confidence with the other available options that they will do much better than him right now (poch, tuchel, mckenna, de zerbi), so might as well let him finish his last contract term and reassess if it is worthwhile to keep.

Captmfla

Wait, we're back to the "players downed tools" narrative now?
The players didn't downed tools in my opinion.

Some of the players were just incompetent. Others were put in unfamiliar positions where they made mistakes.

Imagine if Casemiro was playing as CD instead of Varane. Do you think Casemiro will make a better defender than Varane?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I was ETH out from April onwards and the FA Cup semi final pretty much confirmed it despite us scraping through. I always thought it was a phenomenally small chance we perform at a level in the final that changes this stance but, low and behold, we put in that performance. We won and were deserved winners. ETH came out on top v Pep; outsmarted and got it all spot on.

Our season (EPL and UCL) has been insanely underwhelming but I don't know if you can sack a manager after that final display and provide a platform for the next that isn't toxic and totally over scrutinized. Especially at a club that gets the attention we do. Knives would be out immediately.

Unless we were to bring in a Pep or Klopp there really aren't any options that guarantee an improvement on ETH. Whoever replaces him would need to hit the ground running and even failing to win a trophy straight up would be seen as a backward step. Given the contexts of each season he's been here, I'm not sure there's another gettable manager that would have achieved more than ETH has during his time at the club.

Take away his command of transfer decisions, ship out a load of the dross we've amassed in recent years and revamp the fitness training/staff, but I think he's earned the right to give it a shot under Ineos.

Probably gone by the time I've finished posting this, sadly

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If theres one thing I dont like is when the media surrounds a struggling player or manager like a pack of rabid dogs trying to get them sacked. The final aside we were shit and Ten Hag should have done better. But I will never join with the media to beat him up even after a FA cup final beating City (apparently the best club in the world according to english media?). They can all feck off. Parasites feeding on someone elses misfortune or trying to ruin happy moments. Hypocrites the lot of them. Whatever happens we will see but I refuse to join in this beating an almost dead horse parade. If we are to separate ways, lets do it in a proper way and move on. Media is always trying to throw oil into fire, thats their most profitable period, ironically.

Himannv

I think if he lost the final yesterday it would have been an easy decision to get rid. But I think that win and the manner of it makes a difference. It’s clear he adjusted things a little to make the midfield less open (which is the main tactical problem really) plus we look a different team with Martinez back.

Also it’s clear the players are on his side so I think we should give him a shot under the new ownership. With better recruitment it could work out. Any replacement we bring in would be a gamble as well.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
What, the Europa League doesn't count as a "major trophy"?!
Europa is a second tier tournament, whilst the FA Cup is the top-ranking domestic trophy.

That said, I think it's probably a bigger achievement to win Europa - although we did beat two recent UCL winners en route to the cup this year.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Like it or not, his achievements is tangible, not an empty word such as philosophy or progress. He has every right to protect his reputation. Otherwise, it's a sign of weak mentality.

This season has been a mess but he is not the only one to blame. I can acccept if we decide to move on from him, but we as a fan should also be thankful for what we achieve under him and for being classy throughout his tenure.

My guts tell me that he will be a Bayern manager and if that's happened, he will get his league trophy earlier than us.
Oot but are you Indonesian by any chance?

adkb

I don't think the players have downed their tools. Contrary they seem to love him. But they are not winners, they don't have any grit or desire to achieve great things and that's what's been the crux of our issue ever since SAF left (with the exception of Moyes who took a title winning squad and plummeted it to the bottom). Majority of the players we have are here for the paycheck and that's it. They don't care to represent the shirt or strive to win some gold trinkets, they just want to have fun, party and have the money rolling. And I think with or without Ten Hag it will take a while to fix that, but I prefer it is with than without because we're gonna be restarting this process again. We're already seeing improvements on the youth side with ETH, he's developing some real talents that are shining right now and it'll be a shame to ruin it on the hope of some Jesus-like figure coming in to fix everything. I don't think if Pep took this squad he'd be able to make it play well. Will probably finish 4th, sure, but he won't be doing any miracles or dominating games, that's for sure.
Explain how they play great in the first season under most managers but lose their heads in the second?

adkb

The players didn't downed tools in my opinion.

Some of the players were just incompetent. Others were put in unfamiliar positions where they made mistakes.

Imagine if Casemiro was playing as CD instead of Varane. Do you think Casemiro will make a better defender than Varane?
Yes, so Casemiro is allowed to have a bad game right? Isn't ETH allowed to have a bad season then? Why is everyone ETH out?

He is the best since SAF we have had. Young, with loads of potential. We need to be patient.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think if he lost the final yesterday it would have been an easy decision to get rid. But I think that win and the manner of it makes a difference. It’s clear he adjusted things a little to make the midfield less open (which is the main tactical problem really) plus we look a different team with Martinez back.

Also it’s clear the players are on his side so I think we should give him a shot under the new ownership. With better recruitment it could work out. Any replacement we bring in would be a gamble as well.
Couldn't agree more. I consider myself an old fart. After winning the Cup and seeing how those players showing love to EtH, those meant so much for me.

And it seems like EtH has found a solution for tough game, with that False 9 system, and sub in striker later on to unsettle. Adding better players than McTom, Amrabat/Casemiro, and Rashford, with another Martinezesque CB at the back; we look like we can compete with any team.

feck it. Let EtH gets another chance. Football is all about emotion, anyway.

Oscar Bonavena

Can't escape the fact that before EtH joined we hadn't won anything in like 5 seasons.

It's easy to take for granted the work that has been done to win this trophy despite such a terrible season.

Do I want us playing better, and looking like a proper team? Yes. But EtH manages to win wherever he goes.

It might not be 'sexy' or 'ground-breaking' stuff. He's not overly charismatic, he's clearly not the next SAF, but I just feel like if he stayed here for another number of years, we'd keeping on picking up trophies because that is what he seems to be able to do wherever he goes.

Not many on the potential candidate list can say that.
Being happy with the odd cup win every now and again is regressing back to the United of the 70s and 80s. Yes, they're nice to win. Yes, there are a lot of other clubs out there who'd be delighted with that. But it shouldn't be "good enough" for United anymore.

We need to get back to challenging for league titles and champions leagues again. And if Erik is to stay on another season, he needs to show he's capable of implementing a style of football that at least looks like it could evolve into something that could challenge for a title.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm in favor of giving him another chance if and only if there's a proper plan to improve our midfield's performance both in terms of controlling the game and being defensively solid at the same time and with the appropriate personnel is brought in in the summer.

Last season was a disaster on that front from early on and his acquisition of Mount a completely unnecessary act toward that goal we then proceeded to play the rest of the season with absolutely no control over anything.

Also he should start wearing socks.

Zumbi

Yes, so Casemiro is allowed to have a bad game right? Isn't ETH allowed to have a bad season then? Why is everyone ETH out?

He is the best since SAF we have had. Young, with loads of potential. We need to be patient.
How the feck are you trying to compare a player having one bad game with a manager having 50 bad games? Can you really not see the difference between a bad game and a bad season?

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout

Casemiro was dropped from squad, is there a chance to drop EtH from finals? You can't compare players underperforming to manager.