Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 398 46.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 462 53.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Castia

I worry for Erik. Players don’t seem to be carrying out his instructions and has we’ve seen in the past it will probably get worse, they always down tools. How long until they start leaking stuff about the manager?

We’re now scurrying around the market being linked to all sorts of mediocre shite that will set us back even further, it’s just a complete nightmare.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Defensively I can put more on the side and blame the players. De gea has been at fault for both game goals. Dalot can’t defend etc.

Attacking wise though - this team has absolutely no ability to basically score a goal the way even an average manager like Ole got us to never mind the result.
Yeah it's not a bad point, but any game plan you might have had is out of the window when you concede 4 inside 35 minutes and go into HT 0-2 down vs Brighton

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Still being outrun is a concern to me and it doesn't even look like he's trying to implement a high press. Mid to low a lot of the time. Klopp went high press from the off any Liverpool. Like Carragher said, people laughed at first because it would cost them goals and points, often when they had battered the other team and tired. But eventually, fitness improved and they were destroying teams.

I feel like we'd see more of this if he had any intention of playing this way.
Did we not play it or did they just render it useless by going long towards Martinez?

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives
Can you provide the dates/games when this took place? There was a good deal of grumbling and one banner that gets wheeled out to this day, but I can’t recall mass revolt.
I can remember a sit down protest at OT, certainly in the Utd Road. And plenty of Fergie Out calls ringing round OT.

Whilst the memory isn’t sharp enough to provide specifics was probably the season Robbins bailed us at Forest and we went in to win the FA cup.

Was a major shit or bust time.

To call those fans fickle, after 3 years, or to not recognise it happened, is a bit of a mistake.

Recognise it for what it was, and what followed, and learn from it.

Support your club.
Support the manager.
Enjoy the ride.

Amsterdam Devil

I still think Ten Hag is a good coach, but he is so arrogant not to have listened to what Rangnick had to say about the squad.

DevilRed

I hope he is given time here. This summer has been a joke.

Really sad and depressing to see the club the way it is now.

Its not the same club I grew up loving.

LARulz

The fans will stick with him over any of the board or this squad. There is no goodwill for anybody left at here, ETH benefits from being a newbie and having shit all around him

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well if you invite brentford to attack and then play long balls over them, what is that then?
Watch the interview. In them pressing so high, they were leaving huge gaps behind. Ten Hag wanted to exploit that but the feckery at the back put an end to any gameplan.

OrcaFat

I am afraid that he cannot do much with our current midfield and attack, and Eriksen was very poor yesterday as a deeplying playmaker. Also worringly to hear that the players threw the game plan in the bin. I think that Rangnick was correct that we need 7-10 new players and CB was not a priority to spend 50m on this summer. Martinez was bought to play out from the back while we have already conceded 6 goals to teams we should beat.
He will do something with what he’s got. I think you might be worrying too much about the order of the signings. And they haven’t had 5 mins to settle in yet.

I agree it looks bad but there’s plenty of time yet.

AdNani

When will we ever learn on here? Surely 4 managers in 10 years means that changing the manager is not the solution? There aren’t many better managers ETH around, if any.
it's comical how quickly people turn on managers.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
I expected things to be at UTD but not this freaking bad. Something needs to happen by the fans. I hope EtH walks.

Leftback99

They won't like this one bit. Expect them to ignore his instructions against Liverpool and put in even less effort. We all know by now their fragile egos can't handle criticism
Expect 'leaks' this week about how they're not impressed with training and tactics. Also Ronaldo stories are suspiciously quiet, there will be a few of those.

AndySmith1990

Expect 'leaks' this week about how they're not impressed with training and tactics. Also Ronaldo stories are suspiciously quiet, there will be a few of those.
Players' feel they are being overworked and are not impressed with the extended running sessions. Sources close to one player described it as "nothing like Disneyland" while another is said to be disgruntled by the quality of the chips, after United replaced their head chef with Darren Fletchers' nephew

izec

The players will throw him under the bus. He stands no chance. He is also naive, completely bought into what Arnold, the Glazers and Murtough sold him. They will hide behind him

Leftback99

Players' feel they are being overworked and are not impressed with the extended running sessions. Sources close to one player described it as "nothing like Disneyland" while another is said to be disgruntled by the quality of the chips, after United replaced their head chef with Darren Fletchers' nephew
:lol: Careful giving the leaker away.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The club hasn't done him any favors at all but its also clear that ETH badly misjudged certain aspects of the PL. United just isn’t ready to play out from the back regularly against effective pressing teams. You could have conceded four just from errors in those situations against Brentford.

ETH also underestimated the pace and power you need in the center of the park if you are trying to play a high line and press aggressively. A CB pairing of Martinez and Maguire with Fred and Eriksen in front just isn’t going to work. Too weak in transitions, not enough size and athleticism to win initial and then second balls when opponents go long.

ETH needs to play a lot more pragmatically and introduce his playing style bit-by-bit, rather than setting up like this. Get some results, build some confidence, introduce new playing concepts more gradually.

OrcaFat

This is exactly what I wanted to hear. And it’s the main reason I am happy we got ETH. He will demand maximum effort and maximum “obedience”. Most pertinently, he will walk if the board interferes and I don’t think he will care about any consequences of doing that.

I can forgive quite a few mistakes as long as he is being allowed to keep working and follow his plans through.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I think the criticism on ETH is somewhat fair but some of these threads are really premature. Everybody and their mothers knew we're entering a rebuild. He said it 100 times in his first couple of interviews, "this takes time". The beating we were handed yesterday was painful and there are things he could have done differently, but this is the same squad he inherited that also got spanked by Brighton 4-0 last year, I'm hardly surprised.

His first season at Ajax wasn't the Ajax we (or rather, people outside The Netherlands) all know now. He had his struggles in his first season there too. His style of football takes a lot of coaching and time. Time he probably won't get, I mean look at the fans already coming for his head in this forum, but I hope the club keeps backing him.

A fair criticism on him is his (in)activity on the transfer market, but this is also a mistake from the club. In Amsterdam Overmars did most of that, ETH didn't really have a lot of say other than approving a transfer and telling Marc get me this type of player. I feel like the club should not have given ETH this power over recruitment, but I guess the manager is some deity in England that should hold all the reins. Isn't Murtough supposed to have a role in this too with his high position? On the other hand I can relate to ETH being stubborn because this club has got a horrible track record when it comes to transfers for the last decade and before the season started everyone seemed to be in agreement that we should give ETH what HE wants. Anyways, this will be a tough season but everybody knew that beforehand. The closer we got to the season, the more fans kept hyping themselves up, but you can't change this team overnight. Not in one pre-season. Not in one transfer window. Pipe down and give ETH the time he deserves.

The thing that made me laugh today is I've even seen certain people talk about Pochettino being the answer as if he didn't fail at Spurs too eventually. "But he didn't got the funds he needed", yeah? So basically just like ETH at this moment. Yes, the money is reserved for FDJ but even after that transfer, there's so much more we still need. Besides, Poch couldn't even let a team with Neymar, Messi and Mbappe sparkle ffs.

These are also the same people that are shitting on ETH now for being an "inexperienced manager" as if he and his Ajax teams didn't completely outplay Juve, Real, Dortmund, and even went toe to toe with Bayern, Chelsea and Spurs. He has accolades and proven to be a good coach but you can't expect him to turn this shitshow around in two months. Which is what nobody expected him to do to begin with, but now we truely see once again how inept these lot are when trying to play possession based football yet we lay part of the fault on him. But there is not a lot he can do with this squad that he inherited from two managers that also couldn't sort it out with these players. They aren't good enough at this moment, but the team is very thin and we can't overhaul the team, so what can he really say other than "we will try to do it with what we have". I feel for him. Before the summer started everyone knew this would be a project, a long rebuild that needs time. Now 2 games in people already want him out. We won't get anywhere with sacking a manager every (two) year(s).

Grande

We really haven’t given him the platform to succeed with the lack of signings.

However he’s been incredibly naive in his tactics so far. Insisting on playing out from the back when we don’t have the players to do it has cost us massively in terms of mistakes.

He’s also put in Martinez straight into the heart of defence when he likely needs time to adjust to the PL. I wonder whether his confidence now is completely shot.

The players and executive team have let him down, no doubt, but he needs to be more pragmatic with his approach until we can get the players required in to fit his style.
Playing out the back was the decision of the players, and mainly De Gea. Ten Hag have coached the on how to play out the back as a main start, and to decide if there is a need to play pass first press or leng ball. If oppo’s go man-to-man all over the pitch like Brentford did, there will be four v four after a long ball.

De Gea had a mare, he persisted with Plan A even when they manmarked and he had sun in his eyes, to Ten Hags visual and uttered frustration, and when he eventually decided for a long kick out, he waved all the players up the pitch, effectively snuffing out our chance of using their high man-v-man press against them and letting them cluster at the back to whin the long ball and counter us. He has a learning curve, that Dave of ours.

izec

What strikes me is do these players not want success? They seem totally void of hunger and desire. Its shocking how unprofessional and mentally weak they are.
No, seem happy with the money and fame. Trophies is a bonus that most are not interested in.

Most of them midtable players getting played top dollars. Zero mentality and pride.

steffyr2

For me it’s about short term pain for long term gain. It’s important that Ten Hag finds out quickly who can and who can’t play his style of football. There was always a risk that it would result in some poor results at the start. The key thing now will be ETHs mental strength and decision making. He will have to be increasing my tough and try and phase out the worst performers. Personally I’m willing to give him time for a full scorched earth approach.
Just curious. Do you think the rest of the team will want to stay on that team? The team that plays badly game after game because the manager needs time to figure out who isn't a good player?

How long ago was it that he was chosen as the next manager? Did he never watch a single game last year? Did he never look at any tape? What does he do during the week? Does the team practice?

We've already settled that he doesn't look at other teams to choose players and only wants the ones he knows personally. Does he ever talk to another human?

Is manager in the dutch league a part time job?

VinchNow

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Liverpool
What strikes me is do these players not want success? They seem totally void of hunger and desire. Its shocking how unprofessional and mentally weak they are.
I believe, that's a side effect of being on a huge contract while the road to a meaningful trophy is very far away.
I think if you compare the highest salary per position on the field, The starters at Manchester united must be in the top 5 for every position

crossy1686

career ending
These feckers won’t like this one bit, they’ll throw him under the bus on Monday, just watch. They stand to lose nothing by getting hammered.