Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 398 46.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 462 53.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Yakuza_devils

I feel for ETH, we have incompetent board. Bunch of spineless useless players.

Now all the pressure is on him. If the results don't improve his position is untenable. So much negativity now everywhere.

izec

These feckers won’t like this one bit, they’ll throw him under the bus on Monday, just watch. They stand to lose nothing by getting hammered.

If he selects the same players…

Players like De Gea, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay, Rashford are finished. They cant even play well to save their life, nevermind the job of a manager.

Judas

Open to offers
Really couldnt have a worse next game either. Ideally you’d want wholesale changes after yesterday’s joke of a performance, still should be, they can’t do any worse.

Grande

I think the criticism on ETH is somewhat fair but some of these threads are really premature. Everybody and their mothers knew we're entering a rebuild. He said it 100 times in his first couple of interviews, "this takes time". The beating we were handed today was painful and there are things he could have done differently, but this is the same squad he inherited that also got spanked by Brighton 4-0 last year, I'm hardly surprised.

His first season at Ajax wasn't the Ajax we (or rather, people outside The Netherlands) all know now. He had his struggles in his first season there too. His style of football takes a lot of coaching and time. Time he probably won't get, I mean look at the fans already coming for his head in this forum, but I hope the club keeps backing him.

A fair criticism on him is his (in)activity on the transfer market, but this is also a mistake from the club. In Amsterdam Overmars did most of that, ETH didn't really have a lot of say other than approving a transfer and telling Marc get me this type of player. I feel like the club should not have given ETH this power over recruitment, but I guess the manager is some deity in England that should hold all the reins. Isn't Murtough supposed to have a role in this too with his high position? On the other hand I can relate to ETH being stubborn because this club has got a horrible track record when it comes to transfers for the last decade and before the season started everyone seemed to be in agreement that we should give ETH what HE wants. Anyways, this will be a tough season but everybody knew that beforehand. The closer we got to the season, the more fans kept hyping themselves up, but you can't change this team overnight. Not in one pre-season. Not in one transfer window. Pipe down and give ETH the time he deserves.

The thing that made me laugh today is I've even seen certain people talk about Pochettino being the answer as if he didn't fail at Spurs too eventually. "But he didn't got the funds he needed", yeah? So basically just like ETH at this moment. Yes, the money is reserved for FDJ but even after that transfer, there's so much more we still need. Besides, Poch couldn't even let a team with Neymar, Messi and Mbappe sparkle ffs.

These are also the same people that are shitting on ETH now for being an "inexperienced manager" as if he and his Ajax teams didn't completely outplay Juve, Real, Dortmund, and even went toe to toe with Bayern, Chelsea and Spurs. He has accolades and proven to be a good coach but you can't expect him to turn this shitshow around in two months. Which is what nobody expected him to do to begin with, but now we truely see once again how inept these lot are when trying to play possession based football yet we lay part of the fault on him. But there is not a lot he can do with this squad that he inherited from two managers that also couldn't sort it out with these players. They aren't good enough at this moment, but the team is very thin and we can't overhaul the team, so what can he really say other than "we will try to do it with what we have". I feel for him. Before the summer started everyone knew this would be a project, a long rebuild that needs time. Now 2 games in people already want him out. We won't get anywhere with sacking a manager every (two) year(s).
You make a lot of sense, lovely TL; DR post (I read). :)

I have been positive, and expected early setbacks (even routs), but even I am shocked.

Some people have moaned about Ten Hag being set up to fail, and I begin to tend to agree. Ideally, a DoF and a recruitment team would have started spreading a strategy for recruitment/scouting/data analysis the moment Ole was off, based on an idea of what kind of playstyle we would want the next manager to represent. If central pieces of that team were not intended to continue, they should have been removed and replaced by then.

Everything has been done step by step since Woodwards retreat, but it seems to me things are going too slow.

saik

These feckers won’t like this one bit, they’ll throw him under the bus on Monday, just watch. They stand to lose nothing by getting hammered.

Should go in to that thread about the positive things ETH done so far to be honest. Did Ole ever do this? I'm struggling to remember but didn't we all go on a nice 2-week international break after a mauling?

Gazautd18

The club hasn't done him any favors at all but its also clear that ETH badly misjudged certain aspects of the PL. United just isn’t ready to play out from the back regularly against effective pressing teams. You could have conceded four just from errors in those situations against Brentford.

ETH also underestimated the pace and power you need in the center of the park if you are trying to play a high line and press aggressively. A CB pairing of Martinez and Maguire with Fred and Eriksen in front just isn’t going to work. Too weak in transitions, not enough size and athleticism to win initial and then second balls when opponents go long.

ETH needs to play a lot more pragmatically and introduce his playing style bit-by-bit, rather than setting up like this. Get some results, build some confidence, introduce new playing concepts more gradually.
Is this the same thing @Lentwood was saying in another thread?
We all want him to succeed but he needs to get to grips with this league first before we're in a full blown crisis (As if we're not already!)
Honestly expected at least 4 points from these first 2 games.

the_cliff

Our players don't like anything. They don't respond to arm around the shoulder coddling (Ole) and didn't respond to Ralf calling them out in the press.

Everyone keeps saying why are all the same players playing, why isn't Rashford, Mctominay, Fred, Sancho dropped etc. It's because we don't have any other options, people keep saying play the kids, the way we are now and how toxic the place is you think Garnacho, Iqbal, Hannibal, Savage will do any better ? They're 18 year olds for goodness sake and we're Manchester United with the expectations of Manchester United. The poor kids might never recover again if they were on the end of a 7-0 drubbing by the Scousers.

The fact of the matter is, it's the same players letting us down and the same players are still here. We're paying for bad recruitment over the last 5 years. Why sign Amad ? Pellistri ? that's 50 mill right there. Never mind AWB, DVB and Maguire.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The club hasn't done him any favors at all but its also clear that ETH badly misjudged certain aspects of the PL. United just isn’t ready to play out from the back regularly against effective pressing teams. You could have conceded four just from errors in those situations against Brentford.

ETH also underestimated the pace and power you need in the center of the park if you are trying to play a high line and press aggressively. A CB pairing of Martinez and Maguire with Fred and Eriksen in front just isn’t going to work. Too weak in transitions, not enough size and athleticism to win initial and then second balls when opponents go long.

ETH needs to play a lot more pragmatically and introduce his playing style bit-by-bit, rather than setting up like this. Get some results, build some confidence, introduce new playing concepts more gradually.
Well, if DDG doesnt make that first 2 mistakes , then we are talking about a completely different game here.

Playing out from the back isn't the problem but players making school boy mistakes is .

croadyman

Lets not cry wolf here -- need to be more selective and logical on when we blame the owners. Otherwise it becomes pointless.

The owners arent to blame for the transfer choices made so far. Its Arnold and Murtough that had delivered what were clearly ETH's choices.
They are to blame for medieval structure though and not employing a DOF

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.

Of course some of them will try to throw him under the bus. The fanbase needs to stay on code and let these fecking players know we don't care about any of their gripes. Make so much noise that the media will be forced to put the narrative out there that the fans are fecking fed up and won't tolerate their bullshit.

Apart from the new players and the little ones, these players have been on holiday since last season. They don't need a fecking day off.

Joseunited

To right, read the fecking riot act to these whimps, I hope he tells everyone(tosspot captain included)that there futures are on the line.

mu4c_20le

Our players don't like anything. They don't respond to arm around the shoulder coddling (Ole) and didn't respond to Ralf calling them out in the press.
Stop repeating this nonsense, you sound like you read the Mirror every day.

Jazz

No wonder they didn't put as much effort in as the Brentford players yesterday. I bet some of them are furious and don't want ETH telling them what to do. Need to weed out those players as quickly as we can. The club hierarch is so dumb it's unbelievable.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Feel so sorry for ETH. He has been thrown into a mess and the club have done feck all to support him. I mean, where are the signings? Even after this shambles of a start to the season we're only really talking about Rabiot coming in. Where is the action from the club to support this manager?

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets

If any of Shaw, Maguire, McTominay, Fred and Rashford are in the team facing Liverpool, any inquest would be superficial. I would include De Gea in that list as well if we had a realistic alternative. At this point I'd rather see players like Zidane, Garner, Savage, Malacia and Garnacho get game time rather than these set of players that have failed so many managers before Ten Hag.

Jazz

Is this the same thing @Lentwood was saying in another thread?
We all want him to succeed but he needs to get to grips with this league first before we're in a full blown crisis (As if we're not already!)
Honestly expected at least 4 points from these first 2 games.
You would think McClaren would have warned him about this...

downunder red

I'm backing ETH to take us back to being competitive and winning trophies again. Only 2 games in and some people want his balls on a plate. These players have done it before and thrown managers under the bus. They have no fight in them at all for the shirt or the club. He's been hugely let down so far by the club but we all know that isn't surprising.

bond19821982

"I'm convinced that (De Gea) can do it (play out from the back). He's shown it in training, he can do it."
From the horse's mouth . Someone was very to keen to put the blame on ETH yesterday that he didn't change the GK as soon as he came in. Clearly, something is happening on the training . Please stop this nonsense and give both of them time.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If any of Shaw, Maguire, McTominay, Fred and Rashford are in the team facing Liverpool, any inquest would be superficial. I would include De Gea in that list as well if we had a realistic alternative. At this point I'd rather see players like Zidane, Garner, Savage, Malacia and Garnacho get game time rather than these set of players that have failed so many managers before Ten Hag.
We would be destroyed if those three started.

Water Melon

Taking into account the club's "expertise" in recruitment and lack of an Overmars to help out, I can see ETH struggling badly. We can end up buying players that will fail in EPL and will be difficult to move on when Erik resigns/is fired. Hopefully, I am wrong and things get better soon. Otherwise, we will find ourselves at the rock bottom of the table come September.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Taking into account the club's "expertise" in recruitment and lack of an Overmars to help out, I can see ETH struggling badly. We can end up buying players that will struggle in the EPL and will be difficult to move on when Erik resigns/is fired. Hopefully, I am wrong and things get better soon. Otherwise, we will find ourselves at the rock bottom of the table come September.
He brought it on himself by not even bothering to meet Rangnick in person.

bond19821982

Malacia and Garner is fine but not others. Definitely not on an away match. It will completely destroy the confidence of the kids.

el3mel

From the horse's mouth . Someone was very to keen to put the blame on ETH yesterday that he didn't change the GK as soon as he came in. Clearly, something is happening on the training . Please stop this nonsense and give both of them time.
De Gea isn't going to develop that skill now that he's 31. It's a waste of everyone's time if true.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Everything has been done step by step since Woodwards retreat, but it seems to me things are going too slow.
I agree and I think having two inexperienced people at very, very important positions (Murtough, Fletcher) also plays a big part in this. But I'm hopeful for the future, we just have to endure and accept the fact we are and will be in a tough position for a while. It was always going to be slow, but this club needs stability and you won't ever get that if they keep sacking the wrong people every year.

Really hate to say it but we can learn a thing or two from Liverpool and Arsenal (although we will have to wait til the end of the season to see how they turned out), who also climbed out of a huge hole and cleaned up their mess, like the wage bill, getting rid of dead wood and players who don't match the ambition of the club, by trusting in the people they hired and the project they were building. I remember seeing a LOT of "Arteta Out" throughout the internet. Good the club didn't listen.

bond19821982

De Gea isn't going to develop that skill now that he's 31. It's a waste of everyone's time if true.
May be or may be not. This is coming from someone who is seeing them in training on a daily basis. So I would rather trust him than some of us.

Or may be plan is identify the right target next summer and focus on core issues this summer.

croadyman

I'm backing ETH to take us back to being competitive and winning trophies again. Only 2 games in and some people want his balls on a plate. These players have done it before and thrown managers under the bus. They have no fight in them at all for the shirt or the club. He's been hugely let down so far by the club but we all know that isn't surprising.
Where is the money coming from

opopop

To right, read the fecking riot act to these whimps, I hope he tells everyone(tosspot captain included)that there futures are on the line.
Thing is I think they know their future will never be on the line.

What would happen? Play crap and you'll be sold?

OK sell them then

Nobody will pay their wages.

So then they won't leave.

Also any club won't pay anywhere near a "reasonable" price expected for "superstars" such as Rashford, McTominay

They won't leave, then put them in reserves.

But I suspect club won't want them in reserves because they are earning too much to have so many first team players doing nothing.

So they have to play, kept happy, because nobody wants them and United need to pretend our players are global superstars so we can get some lovely sponsorship money coming in

Hooray

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's only two gameweeks so I'm not really concerned. But if he continues to play underperforming players whilst being second best in running/pressures etc. then he's going to have to take some accountability for that. Yesterday I was expecting a LOT more pressures but we did nothing. It was quite sad to watch.

el3mel

May be or may be not. This is coming from someone who is seeing them in training on a daily basis. So I would rather trust him than some of us.

Or may be plan is identify the right target next summer and focus on core issues this summer.
And we have been seeing De Gea playing for us for +10 years, so ? We know him more than Ten Hag.

Jazz

But maybe he's just saying that in public and keeping his thoughts to himself in order not to aggravate the situation? If he were so confident, why did he ask for the budget to go higher for a GK to come in and 'challenge' DEGEA? Surely it means he sees his limitations and is probably trying to find a diplomatic way of replacing him? I mean I obviously don't know, but this is what it seems like to me with his actions, never mind what he's saying.

Dancal

Supports
Footy
Does not seem alot of instructions or motivation from the side as far as I can see.