Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 277 39.5%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 424 60.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Just look at how Ronaldo acted with Ten Hag. A couple of prima donnas bought by Qatari owners as statement signings would do Ten Hag in, mark my words.
I see your point, of course. No crystal ball here. We hope the new owners see sense, and put football first, not glory or PR... it’s going well so far….

Lights Out

Said before the game yesterday that we have the second highest points total at this stage of the season since Fergie retired. The highest was Jose’s season where we finished 2nd.

SomeRandomPerson

This has nothing to do with the team and he's still our Pep Guardiola is my idol but anyone else feel like the top of ETH's head is weirdly flat? Don't want to alarm anyone but I think he might be a Xenomorph.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

This has nothing to do with the team and he's still our Pep Guardiola is my idol but anyone else feel like the top of ETH's head is weirdly flat? Don't want to alarm anyone but I think he might be a Xenomorph.

I for one welcome our Xenomorph overlord.

romufc

The one thing that I draw alot of confidence from Ten Hag is his ability to adapt. We have seen Klopp this season struggle a little.

Ten Hag adapts with the players at his disposal. We also saw this in Ajax where he built the team that got to the CL semi with De Ligt, Ziyech, Frenkie, Donny etc... that team got ripped apart and then he went and rebuilt a team.

He went from a false 9 in Tadic to a 9 in Haller, showed me he has great adaptability.

This season he started the season thinking he can play his way, 2 games in realised these players can't. We became a counter attack team in the short term, as the players were used to this, whilst changing.

Now we have a team that is amazing at counter attack and we can build from the back.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Goat manager and not just in sports. After SAF of course.

kthanksbye

Did anyone else notice a difference in the positions our forward players took when we had the ball against Barca, there were 4 players playing next to each other right at barca's defense line, I think that was a way to make sure Barca fullbacks don't outnumber us in midfield, and they have to stay with their man, which gave our players on the ball a little more time than usual.
Something I haven't seen us do in other games.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I wonder what those people who aren’t arsed about the Europa League and Carabao Cup are doing this week.

Oh.

Flexdegea

I wonder what those people who aren’t arsed about the Europa League and Carabao Cup are doing this week.

Oh.

I'm normally dismissive of the league cup, but at the moment it will be like winning the champs league if we get it done :lol:

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Can't wait to see him impregnate Jurgen.

clarkydaz

I don't think Ole did bad with the man management thing. It's just his tactics were outdated and crap. Plus having to fit Ronaldo in was the final nail.
disagree, he played his same 13 players no matter their form/fitness and pissed off rest of the squad doing it

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
This is by far my favourite thread. The positivity is amazing and the fanbase is finally on the same page.
Yeah , wait for a rough period to happen before making any such conclusions. Cafe is a strange place. Had people critical of him after 1 match. It's all there in this thread.

Strelok

Yeah , wait for a rough period to happen before making any such conclusions. Cafe is a strange place. Had people critical of him after 1 match. It's all there in this thread.
Tbf he was pretty well deserved to imo. No one asked for his head though which imo honestly was already quite a progress.

I still remember the relegation thread. Seems like it's been ages since despite actually only 6 months or so.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Shaw at CB
Rashford as ST
Bruno on the right
AM Weghorst and Sancho.
Lindelof at DM

The way he's Experimenting with players positions is a Caf members wet dream

Giggs' right foot

I don't think Ole did bad with the man management thing. It's just his tactics were outdated and crap. Plus having to fit Ronaldo in was the final nail.
The problem with Ole I think was he was too protective.

Say, the thing with players leaving mid game during the Rayo Vallecano friendly had happened under Ole - I feel 100% certain Ole would have played it down and maybe even lied and told the media, that the players had been granted permission, despite not having done so.

Maybe the players would respond to that with praise and categorize it as "good management", but I really feel that Ole's public conflict shyness when it came to players clearly being unfocused/criticizable was just as detrimental and poor in the long run as his lack of tactical awareness.

Teja

Shaw at CB
Rashford as ST
Bruno on the right
AM Weghorst and Sancho.
Lindelof at DM

The way he's Experimenting with players positions is a Caf members wet dream
The only gripe that arm chair tacticians in the match thread (and I include myself here) have is asking for quicker subs. And this is while his subs are actually really good.

That's pretty amazing that the whole of the internet can't think of anything better that he could be doing :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He made too many promises to too many players, and once the excuses ran out he had a mutinous bench he couldn't rely upon, and a bunch of first team players he'd then ran into the ground

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
disagree, he played his same 13 players no matter their form/fitness and pissed off rest of the squad doing it
I don't think that's true at all. Even Bailly who complained about not being first choice still managed over 1500 mins in 20/21. Bailly moaned because he wasn't first choice but he was fecking awful. Donny didn't get much of a chance under Ole but he hasn't under Ten Hag either. We had 19 players with over 1,000mins in 20/21 for example. Ole's rotation was fine, as someone mentioned it was his tactical failures especially during the game that was his real downfall. On top of getting Ronaldo late in the window and having to change our tactics and strategy from pre season. But either way, he wasn't good enough to pass the final hurdle and win trophies.

Ten Hag is doing exactly what I thought he'd do at United and making us seriously competitive. If we can beat Newcastle and get a trophy that will be a springboard for us to have a really successful season.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Tbf he was pretty well deserved to imo. No one asked for his head though which imo honestly was already quite a progress.

I still remember the relegation thread. Seems like it's been ages since despite actually only 6 months or so.
No it wasn't deserved . Sorry to break that myth. A manager may be embarrassingly bad in the first few matches because he is trying something new. You don't call that as a deserved one .

And yes ,no one explicitly called for head but you would be surprised to see the likes of " jump from Eredivisie is too much " which basically implies he isn't good enough.

Strelok

No it wasn't deserved . Sorry to break that myth. A manager may be embarrassingly bad in the first few matches because he is trying something new. You don't call that as a deserved one .

And yes ,no one explicitly called for head but you would be surprised to see the likes of " jump from Eredivisie is too much " which basically implies he isn't good enough.
Imo any manager would be well deserved to be criticized if the team plays badly, or if he makes mistakes. I can't remember if he made any mistake or not but if my memory serves me right we were pretty bad in the 1st match.

I'm a big fan of ETH but I'll criticize him if I think he's deserved to.

Atm his support from our fans is amazing and I'm very happy with that. However imo we shouldn't turn that into a personal cult where he can do no wrong. He's only human, he'll make mistakes. And there's nothing wrong to tell the truth, to criticise him if so imo.

Chairman Steve

Wow some of those posts back in August :eek:

Those two initial games… I swear on another day it’d have finished 2-2 with Brighton and that Brentford game was just strewn with individual errors. We handed 2 of the 4 goals on a plate for them.

Robbie Boy

Those two initial games… I swear on another day it’d have finished 2-2 with Brighton and that Brentford game was just strewn with individual errors. We handed 2 of the 4 goals on a plate for them.
What a fecking shit-fest :lol:

I especially love the ones saying he plays like Ole :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

That Brentford game made him change how he plays out from the back and against which teams. The game against Liverpool showed how good tactically he is as he opted to go long ball to break the press.

ManRed

He has gone through a lot in his first season and I think he has been brilliant through out.

1 Losses to Brighton and Brentford
2. Criticism in signing Martinez
3. Ronaldo fiasco
4. No funds for January signings
5. Sancho's period away
6. Most number of games played by any team so far
7. Manutd looking for new owners

All this while improving the way we play throughout. Honestly I am not even pressured to win trophies as this is the first time since Sir Alex there is a sense of confidence in the air. Trophies are coming to Old Trafford.