Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Robbie Boy

q

That’s a fair and balanced post and agree that season was good, my username came from the Zlatan signing. Maybe the mourinho era left such a sour taste it increased my enjoyment of the ole reign, untill the end obviously.

But we both agree this season has been the best and most enjoyable, it’s nice to like everyone in the team again, Maguire being a bit iffy and even he’s not a bad character, just drives nails into me watching him play.
I wanted Jose, and his first season was pretty good in all honesty. He brought in some big name players and appeared to be getting us back on track. His second season wasn't great, but not terrible either, although cracks started to appear. He lost the plot in his third season and became a monumental wanker.

When Ole came in, he done an amazing job as an interim and really lifted the dark cloud that was hanging over the club. The problem is this: we were promised a DOF and a club restructure at the end of Ole's interim period. Most were buzzing with Ole here but were also looking forward to a modern, progressive manager taking the reigns in the summer. Ultimately, the club took the easy way out and appointed Ole, knowing fan sentiment would keep him a popular choice, even with no success.

It was clear when by the time he got the permanent gig, that his initial run was nothing more than a 'new manager bounce' (albeit a fantastic one). The PSG result got him the job, and it shows the fecking ridiculous thinking from our club. But, that was to be expected under the Woodeard era. The next season was absolutely diabolical up until Bruno's arrival. Then, we hit form, and went on a great run. I will say this, though: our football during that run was still sloppy and disjointed despite the revisionism. It never looked sustainable, but again, it was fun especially the form of Bruno, Martial, Rashford and Greenwood. Again, it was ultimately just another run with no improvements in our tactical play etc, which again, looked unsustainable.

I found his whole tenure reeked of mediocrity and fans blatantly lowered their standards, just to eh, look like superior fans. It was a weird time on here, and most thought Ole wasn't good enough, but felt more strongly towards his condescending fans. Remember no one could say 'patterns of play' without being derided, despite it being actual footballing terminology? Remember when every other oppo manager thread was plagued with horse shite about how they're only flavour of the month etc? Remember people being gaslight into saying minor good runs were amazing feats for the club? As I said, it was fecking weird.

I also found his tenure stressful as I sometimes prescribed to the notion that he was getting us somewhere, but I never really believed it. What ETH has done looks like actual progress and like it's sustainable and will get us back to big time. I find the snidey comments by some since Sunday, to be fecking farcical. As you alluded to: Ole's reign is measured on how people feel about it and it's not measured on any tangible metrics such as trophies. That in itself, shows how small-time we let ourselves become. It was a wasted 3-years and I blame the Board, and not the under-qualified employee that they employed. No one, absolutely no United fan hates Ole, but they sure as shit hate his fan boys.

Last edited:

Wishe

Too many people raving about Ten Haag, with a +6 goal difference. I don't understand how people can say this style of play is great, we have defensive organization that does not work and barely any goals are being scored. Only reason we even have a positive goal difference is because Rashford is in the form of he's life. So why exactly are people talking about Ten Haag as some sort of untouchable god?

next_number_seven

Too many people raving about Ten Haag, with a +6 goal difference. I don't understand how people can say this style of play is great, we have defensive organization that does not work and barely any goals are being scored. Only reason we even have a positive goal difference is because Rashford is in the form of he's life. So why exactly are people talking about Ten Haag as some sort of untouchable god?
It's our best season in years.
He's only had one transfer window really.

I think next season we'll be very competitive

Wishe

It's our best season in years.
He's only had one transfer window really.

I think next season we'll be very competitive
With the current point average of 1.96 we are looking to end the season with 74 points. Which is the exact same point total that we had with Ole in the 2020/2021 season. Which happens to also be the season where we lost a European final. To me it looks like we are about on par with that. Which was, at the time terrible, and the manager was out of he's depth?

pogbasformerbarber

The object of sports is winning games...not who aggregately scores the most goals, points, TDs, etc. The fact that we are winning and are not a goal scoring powerhouse is exactly why ETH has been so exceptional this season. He inherited most of our players and has created tactics to fit their strengths and weaknesses.

Our goal difference is not meaningless...we clearly need own invest in our forwards with an eye towards being more clinical. We are a work in progress. But the fact that we are winning despite these weaknesses in our squad just shows how valuable and successful ETH has been this season. I can't imagine it being viewed as a knock on him...this has been too long a period of wining form to be "luck"...which your post implicitly seems to imply.

croadyman

With the current point average of 1.96 we are looking to end the season with 74 points. Which is the exact same point total that we had with Ole in the 2020/2021 season. Which happens to also be the season where we lost a European final. To me it looks like we are about on par with that. Which was, at the time terrible, and the manager was out of he's depth?
What more could he have done,just remember how long it took Klopp/Guardiola to put their stamp on things

Wishe

What more could he have done,just remember how long it took Klopp/Guardiola to put their stamp on things
Sure that is true, but have you seen the squad Klopp started with compared to what Ten Haag had at hes disposal? And on top of that we spent over 200 million in he's first summer.

mav_9me

Not sure if serious

HookedOnAPhelan

It's a fantastic mentality.

Little things he has done, like having all the staff pose together with the League Cup, shows how classy he is. The guy has galvanised the whole club, instilled a winning mentality and helped to heal a very fractured fanbase.
Not just classy, it's brilliant leadership. I think that's what stands out the most about him so far, his ability as a leader.

edcunited1878

So you're just going to paint a house the same color as the one next to it and proclaim they are the same house?

Robbie Boy

This sounds like a parody but I'm not sure. If it is, then well played. If it's not, then :lol:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Also both times he's won Manager of the Month he's made sure to pose with all his staff. He makes everyone feel included and part of the journey.
That’s a great trait to have as a manager and a person. Making your team feel apart of everything is great and helps you become successful. Also gives you the support from your team and I’m sure they know how much ETH values their hard work.

DJ_21

No one’s saying ETH is perfect but he’s worked miracles with this team and he’s improved so many players. He’s trying to implement a style but that won’t happen overnight. Yes this season we have been a bit reliant on rashford but that’s because we don’t have a proper number 9 who gets us goals. Rashford doesn’t score without the creativity from some of the players and the style that ETH is creating.

DJ_21

I’m sorry, I don’t remember winning a trophy that season…

HookedOnAPhelan

This is such a fecking idiotic take. We finished last season in 6th place with 58 points. 58. And crashed out of both domestic cups early and lost against a mediocre Atletico side in the last 16 in the CL. The entire club was a complete shambles, which is why hardly anyone predicted we would finish in the top 4 this season, let alone win a trophy.

Ten Hag has already won us a trophy, is still in the FA cup and the EL, and has us in a solid 3rd place in the table. Sure, it's not all perfect yet, but if you're negative after the season we've had so far you can feck right off mate. Makes me think you're an oppo poster and not a United fan tbh.

NLunited

Only this would count but I think losing 7 - 0 should automatically disqualify you from being manager of that month if I'm honest :lol:
Normally, yes. but, being able to turn around things after a drubbing against your biggest rival would also be impressive.

NLunited

Very telling quote from ETH on being unsure the fan reaction at OT after the Liverpool game:

"I was curious about that and I was pleased by the response from the crowd to the team," Ten Hag added. "From minute one they were behind the team, the team gave energy by performance and they gave it back. There is a great bond between the team and the fans and we are pleased by that."

I was struck by ETH using the term "we" here...it's a small thing, but not insignificant IMHO. I feel like the difference between ETH and so many other managers (especially some of our post-SAF ones) is that he is an authority figure to the players and demands that respect and position...but he also considers himself PART of the team. He's in it with his players, and the players feel that.

It's a subtle thing, but can often be a huge part of a manger getting through bad periods. Players don't feel a separation between themselves and the manager. There's no scapegoating. Everyone is in it together and good and bad performances are on everyone...not just the players. It can go miles towards long term success and not losing the dressing room.
I know right? Glad to see the back of Mourinho throwing players under the bus.

NLunited

We are scoring 2+ goals almost every game. We have a lot of clean sheets. The win ratio is about 70%. Our football is exciting to watch and we continue to improve.

Clear, heh?

el3mel

The difference is the current team is looking to be building up towards something and hasn't reached its full potential while this was the peak for Ole's team with no signs of it being able to achieve anything more than that.

The fact they he's on route to equal Ole's best results during his first season is enough telling for the ceiling of both managers. It took Ole close to 400m to get 74 points and EL final. ETH is doing it in his first season in charge and with about less than half the money Ole spent to get this.

Edit : He also won more trophies in 8 months in charge than Ole managed to win in 3 freaking years.

next_number_seven

That was covid so unusual season.

We were always unconvincing under Ole, riding our luck.

Now we seem to have a better foundation and control games better.

I know there's been blips but our performances in each game are better.

Remember under Ole that De Gea said "we don't know what to do in and out of possession".

We used to get completely dominated by average teams but ride our luck and Bruno would win us the game.

Now we I'm actually confident we'll win

Rusholme Ruffian

fair enough, did seem far fetched.
My fave time watching United since Fergie is by far this season, and before that it’s Mourinho/Pogba/ Zlatan’s first season, by some distance too. We won cups that season, drew so many games we should’ve easily won and felt like we were going somewhere.
The Ole/Phelan honeymoon was great, so much fun, but even that turned into an absolute clusterfeck for the final 10 games or so, a sign of something that was to happen each and every season under them.
Always felt we were running in quick sand with them after that and that every good run would inevitably end with a run of relegation form. The whole thing felt so “Spursy”.
Here is the conversation with @Zlatan 7:

Celebrating finishing top 4 itself is a bit pathetic tbh.

If we win a trophy, I'll celebrate that moment - but this won't be a season I look back at fondly. Another one to forget it ever happened in the first place.
hang on, if - say - we finish 3rd and win 2 trophies, given where we were in the summer, you will want to forget this season?
3rd may aswell be 4th or 2nd. It’s nothing to celebrate but more of a relief that we’ve made it into the champions league for next year and help signing better players.

winning the carling cup is a stepping stone to hopefully better things, it’s hardly a trophy to look back on and celebrate.

losing 7-0 to Liverpool is shit, no matter how much you want to gloss over it with the carling cup
OK, but you are answering a question I never asked. I'll ask it again clearly, and you can answer clearly - if you wanna.

If we were to finish third, plus win the League Cup and one other of the FA or UEFA cups would you want to forget this season?
yes. It’s not one that would be looked back on fondly.

it’s a stepping stone season we are doing well in, you’re putting a lot of ifs in to make a point and then acting a dick.

as we are, we’ve won a league cup and hopefully look good for top four (which is great progress) while having a few hammerings. I guess many look back on the last time we won the Europa league as a forgettable season.

We got pasted by Liverpool, you can try and hide that with as many what if we win this and that as you want to try and hide it.

edit to add: in five/ten years time and someone Says feck remember that 7-0 drubbing against liverpool, the response would likely be, yeah feck remembering that, was a good stepping stone season. Not yeah fond memories of that year winning the league cup
So a season where we finished 3rd and won 2 cups would not be a season to look back on fondly - he'd want to forget it. Whereas, a long run of away wins in empty stadiums, and getting beaten in the final of the Europa Cup, are raised as evidence of how good things once were under Ole!? :houllier:

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That season did look quite hopeful. Soured by a terrible slump towards the end and Ole
looking miles out of his depth in his first cup final as United manager. This season we’ve been trending in a positive direction so should finish with more points than we did then, plus we already have a trophy in the bag. All in ETH’s first season in charge.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Finishing second wasn't terrible then, nobody expected us to win the title. Terrible was what happened next.
Also that was Ole's best season, whereas this is ETH's first season.
Ole hasn't won anything while now we already have the Carabao Cup and we still have chances for other 2 cups.

Wishe

This is such a fecking idiotic take. We finished last season in 6th place with 58 points. 58. And crashed out of both domestic cups early and lost against a mediocre Atletico side in the last 16 in the CL. The entire club was a complete shambles, which is why hardly anyone predicted we would finish in the top 4 this season, let alone win a trophy.

Ten Hag has already won us a trophy, is still in the FA cup and the EL, and has us in a solid 3rd place in the table. Sure, it's not all perfect yet, but if you're negative after the season we've had so far you can feck right off mate. Makes me think you're an oppo poster and not a United fan tbh.
I can agree with you on alot of these points and there are alot of positives, but to lose 6-3 at the Etihad and then get trashed 7-0 at Anfield shows a naivety in the big games and that is quite worrying. Then when you then factor in the points tally, the goal difference, i am not sure we are on the right track at all. Hopefully Ten Haag will learn alot from these shambles. But until then I feel he is out of he's depth, especially against the great managers like Guardiola and Klopp.

Rusholme Ruffian

I can agree with you on alot of these points and there are alot of positives, but to lose 6-3 at the Etihad and then get trashed 7-0 at Anfield shows a naivety in the big games and that is quite worrying. Then when you then factor in the points tally, the goal difference, i am not sure we are on the right track at all. Hopefully Ten Haag will learn alot from these shambles. But until then I feel he is out of he's depth, especially against the great managers like Guardiola and Klopp.
wow

Wishe

Finishing second wasn't terrible then, nobody expected us to win the title. Terrible was what happened next.
Also that was Ole's best season, whereas this is ETH's first season.
Ole hasn't won anything while now we already have the Carabao Cup and we still have chances for other 2 cups.
I agree with you, we did not win anything and this year we won the Carabao Cup which is great. And the start of the 2021/2022 campaign was in fact terrible, we lost against Villa and Leicester and got trashed by Liverpool. We then went on to beat Tottenham 3-0 before losing to City 2-0 and then there was the terrible Watford game. It was bad and Ole had to go because of these embarrassing results, the Liverpool 5-0 at Old Trafford was terrible indeed. And a 7-0 at Anfield is in my opinion even worse, and we need to hold the current manager accountable, because that too was absolutely terrible and embarrassing for the club.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Here is the conversation with @Zlatan 7:

So a season where we finished 3rd and won 2 cups would not be a season to look back on fondly - he'd want to forget it. Whereas, a long run of away wins in empty stadiums, and getting beaten in the final of the Europa Cup, are raised as evidence of how good things once were under Ole!? :houllier:
Yes, show me where I called it a disappointment. And then you can also show me where I said the season with ole were good memories.

as you like nitpicking so much and digging into posts I’ll sure you’ll have no problem.

Making words up to look cool in front of your internet friends, bless.

Terry Chango

Nahhhh

I’m not so sure he was naive when he took Ajax on that champions league run ? What about when he beat pep and Klopp earlier in the season with a team that wasn’t completely his own.

Barca and the cup final were big games for us in the grand scheme of things. Let’s not pretend we should turn or noses up at both competitions whilst we haven’t lifted the league since SAF left.

Do you genuinely watch him in interviews and along with how he handled the Ronaldo, rashford and other issues to then believe he’s out of his depth.

The dude couldn’t have been given more testing circumstances than Ronaldo handing in a request in the summer, leaving at half time, refusing to come on and just being a twat general.

ETH handled it like someone who’s comfortable with his current depth.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I wanted Jose, and his first season was pretty good in all honesty. He brought in some big name players and appeared to be getting us back on track. His second season wasn't great, but not terrible either, although cracks started to appear. He lost the plot in his third season and became a monumental wanker.

When Ole came in, he done an amazing job as an interim and really lifted the dark cloud that was hanging over the club. The problem is this: we were promised a DOF and a club restructure at the end of Ole's interim period. Most were buzzing with Ole here but were also looking forward to a modern, progressive manager taking the reigns in the summer. Ultimately, the club took the easy way out and appointed Ole, knowing fan sentiment would keep him a popular choice, even with no success.

It was clear when by the time he got the permanent gig, that his initial run was nothing more than a 'new manager bounce' (albeit a fantastic one). The PSG result got him the job, and it shows the fecking ridiculous thinking from our club. But, that was to be expected under the Woodeard era. The next season was absolutely diabolical up until Bruno's arrival. Then, we hit form, and went on a great run. I will say this, though: our football during that run was still sloppy and disjointed despite the revisionism. It never looked sustainable, but again, it was fun especially the form of Bruno, Martial, Rashford and Greenwood. Again, it was ultimately just another run with no improvements in our tactical play etc, which again, looked unsustainable.

I found his whole tenure reeked of mediocrity and fans blatantly lowered their standards, just to eh, look like superior fans. It was a weird time on here, and most thought Ole wasn't good enough, but felt more strongly towards his condescending fans. Remember no one could say 'patterns of play' without being derided, despite it being actual footballing terminology? Remember when every other oppo manager thread was plagued with horse shite about how they're only flavour of the month etc? Remember people being gaslight into saying minor good runs were amazing feats for the club? As I said, it was fecking weird.

I also found his tenure stressful as I sometimes prescribed to the notion that he was getting us somewhere, but I never really believed it. What ETH has done looks like actual progress and like it's sustainable and will get us back to big time. I find the snidey comments by some since Sunday, to be fecking farcical. As you alluded to: Ole's reign is measured on how people feel about it and it's not measured on any tangible metrics such as trophies. That in itself, shows how small-time we let ourselves become. It was a wasted 3-years and I blame the Board, and not the under-qualified employee that they employed. No one, absolutely no United fan hates Ole, but they sure as shit hate his fan boys.
I laughed at one of your posts earlier where you claimed all your posts in here were all top notch and thought how modest of you :) but that was a good un, and I probably agree with all of it except one part, I think there are people who have a serious dislike or hate towards ole, and if not that then a serious lack of respect. I just assume they’re kids with no idea of United history, there’s a reason Ole has a banner up at old Trafford, whether he ultimately failed as manager or not.

I think your post summed his tenure up quite well and I think he could be called the manager of false dawns, I still enjoyed his time here though.

anyway enough Ole talk from me in this thread, ten Haag is out guy now and I’m thoroughly happy with that.

HookedOnAPhelan

We lost all 4 games against City and Liverpool last season - comprehensively and embarrassingly. He's won us 3/6 points against both teams this season, and both wins were deserved. Sure, the performances at Etihad and Anfield were atrocious, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Stop whining like a bitch.

Rusholme Ruffian

Yes, show me where I called it a disappointment.
I literally just quoted you. I asked: "If we were to finish third, plus win the League Cup and one other of the FA or UEFA cups would you want to forget this season?"

To which you replied:
yes. It’s not one that would be looked back on fondly.
So let me get this right, you would want to forget it, you wouldn't look back on it fondly, but it wouldn't be a disappointment? OK :houllier:

And then you can also show me where I said the season with ole were good memories.
Are you sure you want to do this? You said, on this thread 'I loved Ole as a manager', and when I asked why you reeled off a load of reasons - including such things as the run of away wins and reaching the Europa final. So these are the reasons why you loved him as manager, but you wouldn't class them as good memories?! remind me again why you loved him as manager then?

This is so confusing.

croadyman

We lost all 4 games against City and Liverpool last season - comprehensively and embarrassingly. He's won us 3/6 points against both teams this season, and both wins were deserved. Sure, the performances at Etihad and Anfield were atrocious, but Rome wasn't built in a day. Stop whining like a bitch.
Yeah he definitely deserves credit for turning place into a fortress,however definitely need to improve away form significantly next season.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I literally just quoted you. I asked: "If we were to finish third, plus win the League Cup and one other of the FA or UEFA cups would you want to forget this season?"

To which you replied:

So let me get this right, you would want to forget it, you wouldn't look back on it fondly, but it wouldn't be a disappointment? OK :houllier:

Are you sure you want to do this? You said, on this thread 'I loved Ole as a manager', and when I asked why you reeled off a load of reasons - including such things as the run of away wins and reaching the Europa final. So these are the reasons why you loved him as manager, but you wouldn't class them as good memories?! remind me again why you loved him as manager then?

This is so confusing.
:yawn:

Firstly I like how you didn’t include my post where I clarified myself in the other thread, nice touch.
saying a season where we win a carling cup and finish top four won’t be looked back on in ten years as an amazing season but a stepping stone year does not equate to it being a disappointment.

replying to a poster calling ole awful by stating a few things that happened under him does not equate great memories.

hope That helps.

id love to know what you’re hoping to achieve here, what is it you want? Ridicule? Laughing smileys off posters? What is your whole angle, I find it quite pathetic. Have a nice evening.