Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 589 54.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 486 45.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He may well need to start thinking about a different midfield setup without De Jong, well you would hope that he's already got something in mind because the longer this goes more it seems he is going to stay at Barca and we have been totally played
I am sure he has even in his first week at United. Dutch managers are very detailed oriented, process-driven -- I worked with them for years. Lots of what-if scenarios. There would have been a Plan B and C.

The only reason why we are at this long chase of FdJ is that ETH really wants him. He will exhaust every possibility of getting him (with reciprocated positive feedback) until it's not possible -- then he will execute Plans B.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
His preference for Dutch and Ajax players is a bit concerning. We are in a crucial period, so if he wishes to work with what he knows, then so be it. Hopefully, next summer, he will have a broader outlook.
It is, but on the other hand, if he knows what he's doing (clearly he does given that he got them to within a whisker of a CL final) then all will be well in the end. I do hope he compliments all the Dutch players with a bit more diversity from other leagues as well.

city-puma

It is, but on the other hand, if he knows what he's doing (clearly he does given that he got them to within a whisker of a CL final) then all will be well in the end. I do hope he compliments all the Dutch players with a bit more diversity from other leagues as well.
Agree. This is his first year in charge and it’s reasonable. Next year, I am sure he will. Our club will surely be ready then.

croadyman

Agree. This is his first year in charge and it’s reasonable. Next year, I am sure he will. Our club will surely be ready then.
Yeah next window whether that's January or Summer 2023 Erik simply has to be broadening horizons in the market

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah next window whether that's January or Summer 2023 Erik simply has to be broadening horizons in the market
As long as they improve the team, why would we care what League the players are coming from? Fergie started winning by buying players (mostly) from Premier League, just because he knew this League most.

Rustyspider13

As long as they improve the team, why would we care what League the players are coming from? Fergie started winning by buying players (mostly) from Premier League, just because he knew this League most.
Agreed completely. We need to look at the types of players he is targeting, not what team they played for. A left footed aggressive CB, a left footed RW, a backup LB with potential, any sort of central midfielder-these players fill gaps in our squad and give options to the manager. They may not be the highest priority to some but they are still needed. I'm a bit iffy on Brobbey in terms of his overall quality but the rest of the targets I can see having clear roles at United.

As for EtH himself, he has the look of someone who has a plan, a clear idea on what he wants. We have to wait to see if that plan is effective or not in the PL. Part of me wants this window to be over ASAP so we can focus on football and judge for ourselves instead of the endless and often baseless speculation on how we will play.

croadyman

I am sure he has even in his first week at United. Dutch managers are very detailed oriented, process-driven -- I worked with them for years. Lots of what-if scenarios. There would have been a Plan B and C.

The only reason why we are at this long chase of FdJ is that ETH really wants him. He will exhaust every possibility of getting him (with reciprocated positive feedback) until it's not possible -- then he will execute Plans B.
Really hope you are right about him having a plan B ready to put into action immediately

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well as of dated he has inherited a weaken squad from the pile of shite of last season.

Although finger cross we would hopefully sign a few more players over next 1-2 months, we shouldn't expect anything from him next season. No one can turn a pile of shite into gold, we shouldn't expect him to do wonders with us.

I think I am fine if we could display some sort of coherent team play similar to what Brighton did, it would be major progression for us as a team. I expect top 6-8 finish next season, depends on who else we would bring in over next 2 months.

Top 1-2: City, Liverpool
Top 3-5: Chelsea, Spur, Arsenal
Top 6-10: Man Utd, West Ham, Leicester, Brighton, Newcastle

City (strengthen)
In: Haaland,. Alvarez, Phillips
Out: Jesus, Sterling, Fernandinho

Liverpool (similar)
In: Nunez
Out: Mane

Chelsea (expect to strengthen)
In: Sterling
Out: Lukaku, Rudigerch

Spur (strengthen)
In: Richarlison, Bissuoma, Perisic
Out: Bergwijn

Arsenal (strengthen)
In: Jesus, Vieira
Out:

Man Utd (so far weaken, expect to strengthen)
In: Malacia, (Eriksen?)
Out: Pogba, Cavani, Lingard, Matic, Mata, (Ronaldo?)

West Ham (similar)
In: Aguard
Out:

Leicester (similar)
In:
Out:

Brighton (weaken? similar?)
In: Enciso
Out: Bissouma

Newcastle (expect to strengthen)
In: Botman, Targett, Pope
Out:

sglowrider

Well as of dated he has inherited a weaken squad from the pile of shite of last season.

Although finger cross we would hopefully sign a few more players over next 1-2 months, we shouldn't expect anything from him next season. No one can turn a pile of shite into gold, we shouldn't expect him to do wonders with us.

I think I am fine if we could display some sort of coherent team play similar to what Brighton did, it would be major progression for us as a team. I expect top 6-8 finish next season, depends on who else we would bring in over next 2 months.

Top 1-2: City, Liverpool
Top 3-5: Chelsea, Spur, Arsenal
Top 6-10: Man Utd, West Ham, Leicester, Brighton, Newcastle

City (strengthen)
In: Haaland,. Alvarez, Phillips
Out: Jesus, Sterling, Fernandinho

Liverpool (similar)
In: Nunez
Out: Mane

Chelsea (expect to strengthen)
In: Sterling
Out: Lukaku, Rudigerch

Spur (strengthen)
In: Richarlison, Bissuoma, Perisic
Out: Bergwijn

Arsenal (strengthen)
In: Jesus, Vieira
Out:

Man Utd (so far weaken, expect to strengthen)
In: Malacia, (Eriksen?)
Out: Pogba, Cavani, Lingard, Matic, Mata, (Ronaldo?)

West Ham (similar)
In: Aguard
Out:

Leicester (similar)
In:
Out:

Brighton (weaken? similar?)
In: Enciso
Out: Bissouma

Newcastle (expect to strengthen)
In: Botman, Targett, Pope
Out:
I expect us to be a lot more coherent next season ... maybe not initially due to the players trying to figure out what ETH wants the TEAM to do. But also we won't have to cater and reorganise our approach to the physical limitations of Ronaldo. We were a predictable one-trick show pony last season.

The first thing I hope to see is that they will be running with a purpose and for each other a lot more next season for starters. If the players from last season fail at that, then the academy kids can slot in then.

So individually we may look weaker but as a TEAM I suspect we will improve by leaps & bounds.

So its difficult to compare with the other teams at the moment despite them bringing new players. But I think a 5th or 6trh position is the likelihood and then challenging for Top 4 the following season -- if ETH gets to implement his approach.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We’re going to see massive improvements this season. Just by his coaching alone the players will be miles better. We still need quite a few additions though and upgrades especially in midfield. We don’t have a midfielder that can carry the ball up the field and spray long passes forward. Also need a midfielder that doesn’t crap himself when under pressure. One of the main reasons de Jong would suit us. Can dribble his way out of trouble. Expectations for this season should be top 4. Clear playing style and Win maybe 1 of Europa, fa or caraboa cup.

sglowrider

We’re going to see massive improvements this season. Just by his coaching alone the players will be miles better. We still need quite a few additions though and upgrades especially in midfield. We don’t have a midfielder that can carry the ball up the field and spray long passes forward. Also need a midfielder that doesn’t crap himself when under pressure. One of the main reasons de Jong would suit us. Can dribble his way out of trouble. Expectations for this season should be top 4. Clear playing style and Win maybe 1 of Europa, fa or caraboa cup.
Another case of desire or wishful thinking versus reality.

E-mal

So frustrating that we've finally got the right man in charge and we go and feck up his first transfer window. I'll be furious if he takes the fall for the inevitably difficult season that lies ahead of us due to the incompetence of our recruitment team and board.

The season could already be a write off in terms of trophies or top four, but I'm still looking forward to seeing how he gets us playing.
It's also partly his own fault for being fixated on De jong, pretty sure if he tells them to move on from him they will.

SoulSurvivor

Supports
Ajax
Ten Hag is a good coach. But he doesn't have a plan B.
If your plan A is strong enough, you shouldn't have a plan B. But sometimes you must adapt to the circumstances thrown at you.
That's one of his big weaknesses.

His plan A is clearly to sign: Antony, Frenkie, and Timber or Martinez.
What's plan B if Frenkie isn't coming ? Frenkie (or a midfield of that caliber) is basically a must.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Another case of desire or wishful thinking versus reality.
I don’t think that’s unrealistic. Solskjær got us to a few semi finals without a clear playing style. I’m pretty sure with a top class coach we can go one further.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Ferrari tried it's best but Leclerc is just too good

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Yeah no shit. His scheme isn't exactly plug and play.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.

This is what I have been worried about ever since he took over.

He obviously will bring a lot of modern and innovative coaching ideas which will have an impact on the players we have currently, but he's not naive. He knows as well as anyone we need some serious reinforcement and will not be able to fulfill his own obvious potential without being properly backed and supported by the people above him.

I'd hate to see him being hung out to dry by our boards inability to secure the players he needs to implement the system he needs for his vision of how he wants us to play, but unfortunately, that appears to be what is happening :(

Tavern in the town

He obviously will bring a lot of modern and innovative coaching ideas which will have an impact on the players we have currently, but he's not naive. He knows as well as anyone we need some serious reinforcement and will not be able to fulfill his own obvious potential without being properly backed and supported by the people above him.

I'd hate to see him being hung out to dry by our boards inability to secure the players he needs to implement the system he needs for his vision of how he wants us to play, but unfortunately, that appears to be what is happening :(
No it doesn’t. The board have done nothing but back him this window.

madzo2007

We or Mundo Deportivo have no idea whats going on at United. The article doesn't even quote a source its reads more like an opinion

Chairman Steve

It seems more like conjecture and assumption based on the fact that we’ve only signed one player so far and been heavily linked with others that have yet to materialise.

’They’ve only signed one player? ETH must be getting impatient!’

Avid fan

I expect us to be a lot more coherent next season ... maybe not initially due to the players trying to figure out what ETH wants the TEAM to do. But also we won't have to cater and reorganise our approach to the physical limitations of Ronaldo. We were a predictable one-trick show pony last season.

The first thing I hope to see is that they will be running with a purpose and for each other a lot more next season for starters. If the players from last season fail at that, then the academy kids can slot in then.

So individually we may look weaker but as a TEAM I suspect we will improve by leaps & bounds.

So its difficult to compare with the other teams at the moment despite them bringing new players. But I think a 5th or 6trh position is the likelihood and then challenging for Top 4 the following season -- if ETH gets to implement his approach.
This
Also I suspect alot of people are in for surprises if the players they've written off shows their true ability due to the elite coaching that they are going to get, because IMO aside from midfield and fullback (which as/will be upgraded) most of our players are pretty much decent for top 4.

Which I think is the target for next season (it's not so difficult due to last year). Then the year after, with a few more additions to the team, we can compete for trophies.

We just need to be patient and give Ten Hag the time he needs to change the culture and camaraderie of the team and also to assess the players that are capable of executing his philosophy.

Reactions: Jippy

sugar_kane

I've seen it said that ETH lacks charisma.

Charisma has broad meaning, but from what I've seen so far this guy definitely has presence in a way none of our managers since Fergie have had.

He's clearly passionate, polite but has the air of a man you absolutely do not want to feck with. I'm hoping he can be the man to finally galvanise our squad of misfits.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
No it doesn’t. The board have done nothing but back him this window.
We or Mundo Deportivo have no idea whats going on at United. The article doesn't even quote a source its reads more like an opinion
It seems more like conjecture and assumption based on the fact that we’ve only signed one player so far and been heavily linked with others that have yet to materialise.

’They’ve only signed one player? ETH must be getting impatient!’
I know it's probably guesswork and assumptions, but based on the fact that we have only signed one player officially as you have said and it is the beginning of the pre season tour, I don't think these assumptions are that far off the mark.

Red Daz

I've seen it said that ETH lacks charisma.

Charisma has broad meaning, but from what I've seen so far this guy definitely has presence in a way none of our managers since Fergie have had.

He's clearly passionate, polite but has the air of a man you absolutely do not want to feck with. I'm hoping he can be the man to finally galvanise our squad of misfits.
Totally agree with this , gives me hope he can actually improve what’s already there, if certain players can up a level and have a coherent way of playing, plus a few new trusted arrivals I’m for the first time for a long time actually optimistic for the future.

I I’ll just hope people have patience, it will be a rocky road getting there make no mistake

Reactions: Cheimoon

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Completely agree barring one point: I actually think its worse than what you're describing.

Ten Hag has come in and said, for example, I need a midfield player who can move the ball from defence and attack quickly. The club has then replied: 'Well, we we like Declan Rice, we like Jude Bellingham but they'd cost £100m each.' Ten Hag has then responded: 'Well who else have you scouted for me?' The club has responded: 'Erm...do you know anyone?' Now we've ended up on an Ajax alumni shopping spree...

It makes you wonder how much preparatory work went into Ten Hag's appointment. How much buy in the club actually has in his vision. Whether they'll sack it off after 10 months if its not going well and just get Pochettino if he's still unemployed.

Really, as you say, this appointment should've been step one towards a new vision for the club. A vision where, if it all goes wrong we don't just go back to square one, but we get another coach similar to Ten Hag who can execute our vision for what type of football we want. In the same way Barcelona or Ajax would never go out and hire a defensive manager who plays 5 at the back.

I just don't trust that the club has the thinking upstairs to do the things you, rightly, suggest should've already happened. I think they will get all these players in and, if it goes wrong, they'll just go for the biggest available name 'to get something' out of the squad.

Makes me worry for Ten Hag because I think he'll be the convenient fall guy if it goes to pot: These are all his players, this is all his fault. We gave him what he wanted and he failed. You can see it now.

The guy's a head coach and they're trying to make him into a manager. They may as well have hired Marc Overmars as a consultant when they fired Rangnick...
You’re missing a key point too. I’m sure that murtough and Ralph let it be known that the dressing room was toxic. I think that ETH is addressing this by bringing in players that not only have increased technical skills but are also of good character. Addressing both.
from this season on we can then build on the base that’s created and delve deeper into scouting etc

Tavern in the town

Pure delusion
It’s just facts. I’m not sure what else people are expecting the club to do. We’ve signed Malacia. Eriksen is all but done. De Jong is the subject of a £17m salary dispute which the club can do nothing about - we’ve agreed most of our end with Barca. We’ve bid the reported asking price for Martinez and it still got turned down by Ajax. We were clearly prepared to sign Timber but he turned us down due to a lack of guaranteed football (something the club can’t actually offer him, that’s the manager’s decision.) What exactly do you think the club should have done differently?

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
It’s just facts. I’m not sure what else people are expecting the club to do. We’ve signed Malacia. Eriksen is all but done. De Jong is the subject of a £17m salary dispute which the club can do nothing about - we’ve agreed most of our end with Barca. We’ve bid the reported asking price for Martinez and it still got turned down by Ajax. We were clearly prepared to sign Timber but he turned us down due to a lack of guaranteed football (something the club can’t actually offer him, that’s the manager’s decision.) What exactly do you think the club should have done differently?
All of that but please on ETHs second day