g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

R'hllor

Without confirming or even reading what they were talking about...... right.

You got caught, end of story. Not even your white knight can save you ;)
Do you understand what general means, i dont need them or their posts, it goes for anyone mentioning Ole in some pathetic positive spin attempt. Got caught and suddenly i have a white knight, damn drone life must be really hard when mothership is in some scrap yard in middle of Norway.

Marwood

He must be happy as feck with the result! And the effort and mentality! But the type of football? 29% possession. A bit curious how he sees us move on from here.
New players. It's the only way.

Major improvement on the last six months but we've seen that performance a few times against the bigger teams under Ole. Almost identical I'd say in fact.

Sweet Square

This is my feeling as well. When Rashford, Elanga and the other okay like today, we are a great counter attacking team. But that’s hardly how we want to play any longer.
If I had to guess then the first 20 minutes is maybe what we are aiming for. The first goal was a very Ten Hag type of goal.

Overall today he played to the strengths of this team but with a better pressing system.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
It's almost as if it's better to actually watch a match yourself and suss out exactly what happened rather than base your judgement on some figures fired out on twitter. I know that's a bit old fashioned but I'll stick to my eyes as the source of judgement.

AshRK

He must be happy as feck with the result! And the effort and mentality! But the type of football? 29% possession. A bit curious how he sees us move on from here.
I get your point but no matter who the manager is one cannot dominate possession with Mctominay or Fred in midfield. There was a reason he wanted FDJ. Casemiro will defenitely bring some calmness to that midfield but still we won't be able to dominate possession against big boys.

The good thing was we pressed them and with better attackers should have won 4 or 5-1. Our squad is still far away from a ETH squad.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Really targeted Trent today with his team selection and first sub. Elanga started as the manager knew he could be most heavily relied upon to stay high and wide to help pin him back. Once Liverpool were chasing the game and Trent would pour forward anyway, he got Rashford into the inside left channel second half to exploit the space, securing the second goal.

Starting team well justified then a proactive sub. Very pleasing to see.

jem

What a fukced-in-the-head post by @Yagami. By all means be disappointed in the performances against Brighton and Brentford and lay some of that on the manager, but to call ETH out like that and then moan about Casemiro being a shit signing. Mind-boggling stuff.
Indeed. And if the poster is going to write ETH off after two losses, then surely he must do a 180 and proclaim his greatness after a victory like that. Of course, both you and I know that both extremes are ridiculous, but if that poster lives by the knee-jerk sword, then they must also die by the same sword.

mav_9me

Very few managers make that sub at half time.

But he was spot on. Saw beyond the excitement of the first half and clocked we couldn't string any passes together.

Bringing Martial on so early was a brilliant move.
Great point. Was surprised to see it. Makes sense.

lex talionis

I hope we no longer read posts here opining whether ETH should resign or be sacked. A few such posts in jest are part of the banter of a forum like the caf but there were some seriously deranged posts here that were not in jest.

mav_9me

If I had to guess then the first 20 minutes is maybe what we are aiming for. The first goal was a very Ten Hag type of goal.

Overall today he played to the strengths of this team but with a better pressing system.
Exactly. First half esp was nothing like counter attack. We pressed high and that's how got our goal. 2nd goal was also from pressing. Granted 2-0 down we became more defensive and I think that's got the possession numbers way down.

Would be interested in first half stats for possession.

Varane around town

Made a couple of massive decisions and got them right.

We've got a manager who has the balls to make some really big decisions.

I loved that he decided to stick on Ronaldo for the last 10 minutes to hold the ball up. Drops our captain because he's underperforming and doesn't have the mobility to compete against Liverpool.

Ted Lasso

Very few managers make that sub at half time.

But he was spot on. Saw beyond the excitement of the first half and clocked we couldn't string any passes together.

Bringing Martial on so early was a brilliant move.
I was shocked, mainly because you typically see it as a reaction for a losing team not the one bossing the game. Brilliant management from him today.

Dominos

I like that he's shown a pragmatic side to him tonight. We of course want him to build the team in his vision of how to play football but always great to see he's willing to adapt and change his tactics where necessary.

Hopefully with Maguire, Shaw and Ronaldo being dropped he's started a culture of holding players accountable for poor performances.

Sticking with Rashford and playing Elanga for the energy and pace exploiting the space in behind turned out to be a great decision.

The Martial sub seemed a little strange at half time given Elanga did ok but I like he has conviction and bravery to make early subs, and it paid off with Martial's ability to hold the ball when he receives it. Managers who wait for the 70 minute mark for subs no matter the circumstances are incredibly frustrating.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
This was a statement from him and it should buy him a lot more credit going forward which hopefully stops the press circling around his head like vultures.

Wonderful game and he proves that he has the acumen and the bravery to make hard decisions and make them work.

Wonderful!

Eplel

I like the fact that he didn't make excuses and was not afraid to drop players because they were bad. Paid off today.

Accountability is back in the club.

abailey123

I’ve got an affinity for Ten Hag which I’ve not had for any of our managers post fergie, obviously Ole brought the sentimental feel but something in the gut feels special about ETH.
He’s got an aura about him, he’ll make tough decisions, he has an identity.
We’ll win things under Ten Hag, and the board and owners need to back him.

edcunited1878

He was able to adapt the tactics and team to the opponent, which is a far more stable team and better team for the most part.

Real Madrid also had less possession than Liverpool in the CL Final, only had 4 shots with 1 on target, and yet won. Courtois also had a MoTM performance, while DDG tonight made a few good stops and interventions, but nothing like Courtois.

A very good game plan and the subs were spot on. He's an astute learner and manager. He's made distinct changes after the first two heavy losses and tonight was another match where he shook it up and found a lot of positives.

Alek M

Da manic one
Erik Big Balls Hag

With the weight on his shoulders he drops Ronaldo (who wants to go) to show we can do well without the star.
He also drops Harry.
Imagine if it was 0-4 again. The slack he would have gotten.
Hope this establishes his credibility!

hobbers

The key thing we saw today is that he's pragmatic. More pragmatic than Klopp and Guardiola.

PrKitty

We played really well tonight and it's refreshing to see we actually managed to get into Liverpool's box easily instead of hanging around outside or getting pressed out of ball.

I think it's safe to say we now have a proper manager instead of someone who built his reputation with PR.

Boondog

These tifo videos are great tbh.
They're some of the best content out there I think, on tactics and such. This one is very good too, it covers Ten Hag better than any article could and goes deep into his development.

I think the best way to summarize this manager is he is as aggressive as his players allow him to be. People associate him with the possession, and rightly so, but his Ajax team built into that level of domination.

justboy68

Dropping players for bad performances sounds bloody simple but it fecking works. Even some of those guys like Shaw and Fred will probably be better for it. If you play shite you are gonna be dropped and have to earn your way back. That's what brings the energy and fight we saw today. Nobody is safe from being dropped. I'm sure De Gea might have been dropped too if we had a better replacement.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well fecking done.

I fully expected a hammering given the run we've been on. But the intensify we showed was brilliant. Our passing to open Liverpool up in the first half was also great. Excellent decision to drop Maguire and Ronaldo. The calmness in defence intensity off the ball that this gave was important (as well as the unit giving that of course)

Waynne

Seriously impressed with the guy. Really hope we go all in for him this week in the market.
Put the trophies up on Ebay. Anything to get Antony, Gakpo and Frenkie in before the window closes.

kclord

I loved seeing him immediately turn around at the final whistle and congratulate each man walking down from the bench. He asked for a response from everyone and they gave it to him.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Sometimes management isn’t rocket science and as the man himself said, it’s not always the tactics but the attitude.

Another simple thing that’ll really help him in the long run is to straight up drop players who aren’t performing.. this was what got Ole into trouble but ETH went ahead and dropped two high profile players in such a pivotal game.. I love that.

The anchors mentioned that our bench was more expensive in transfer fees than our starting 11 and that goes to show that it’s not always about money.. folks were writing Malacia off but just look at the game he played today all while costing 15m was it? I can now somewhat see what ETH is trying to do and if these players from today keep up this intensity then Maguire Ronaldo Shaw etc will have a tough time taking their positions back in the starting 11.

Going forward any player that doesn’t play as intensely as they did today should simply be dropped.. half the PL teams will have a tough time keeping up when we’re in their faces like today and cave in.. not everyone can match liverpools gameplay and hence why I’m expecting Southampton game to be won by a margin of 3 or more.. I have a feeling even the players finally saw what they’re capable of after todays game and the level they need to play at..

Sir Erik ten Hag

Sometimes management isn’t rocket science and as the man himself said, it’s not always the tactics but the attitude.

Another simple thing that’ll really help him in the long run is to straight up drop players who aren’t performing.. this was what got Ole into trouble but ETH went ahead and dropped two high profile players in such a pivotal game.. I love that.

The anchors mentioned that our bench was more expensive in transfer fees than our starting 11 and that goes to show that it’s not always about money.. folks were writing Malacia off but just look at the game he played today all while costing 15m was it? I can now somewhat see what ETH is trying to do and if these players from today keep up this intensity then Maguire Ronaldo Shaw etc will have a tough time taking their positions back in the starting 11.

Going forward any player that doesn’t play as intensely as they did today should simply be dropped.. half the PL teams will have a tough time keeping up when we’re in their faces like today and cave in.. not everyone can match liverpools gameplay and hence why I’m expecting Southampton game to be won by a margin of 3 or more.. I have a feeling even the players finally saw what they’re capable of after todays game and the level they need to play at..
That's too much positivity for the CAF's standard.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
That's too much positivity for the CAF's standard.
To be honest, it’s really not. Most of us have been wanting some of these simple pleasures since YEARSSSS. Finally happening. It’s evident that most of us are quite positive today! But unlike during Ole’s times when we were more pragmatic, with structural changes, we’re now calculatedly more positive! (If that makes sense)

First step in the right direction was hiring ETH. Second was giving him the funds which finally seems to be happening. Third was craving for him to have the cajones to drop some of these incompetent slabs.

It’s not gone according to our standards where the signings should've been in early summer but at least it’s happening. Going forward it’s not complicated to predict what our gameplay should be seeing the blueprint today.

If anything standards have risen and rightly so. This in turn will make the caf more positive too.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Dropping players for bad performances sounds bloody simple but it fecking works. Even some of those guys like Shaw and Fred will probably be better for it. If you play shite you are gonna be dropped and have to earn your way back. That's what brings the energy and fight we saw today. Nobody is safe from being dropped. I'm sure De Gea might have been dropped too if we had a better replacement.
If only he did it from the one. But good he did it now, long may it continue

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Delighted for him. He was in such a hard position (still is for some) after the first two games and staring down the barrel of a hammering from Liverpool (which had become the norm). Just hope he can get us playing with this intensity regularly.

Sviken

Another simple thing that’ll really help him in the long run is to straight up drop players who aren’t performing.. this was what got Ole into trouble
Ole's problem was that he was too much of a "friend" to the players and less of a "boss". They didn't fear him and as such standards began to fall when they realized they needn't try that much and can instead coast by. They were still disappointed by his firing, after all - they liked him, but they didn't fear him. SAF understood that the perfect balance of being a good manager is to be ruthless and at the same time caring to your players. He'd smack you with a shoe in one moment when you do something wrong and the next caress you in his arms when you do something right. This instills absolutely unwavering loyalty and every player gives it all, even those that were not quite good overperformed greatly. He was a master of psychology. In contrast to Ole, Mourinho by the time he came to United was on the opposite spectrum - he was overly harsh and despite being right, didn't have the necessary diplomatic skills not to engage in constant conflicts with both management and players.

Let's hope Erik Ten Haag possesses even the smallest of bit of that talent SAF had because it'd be more than enough to get us back to the top

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Ole's problem was that he was too much of a "friend" to the players and less of a "boss". They didn't fear him and as such standards began to fall when they realized they needn't try that much and can instead coast by. They were still disappointed by his firing, after all - they liked him, but they didn't fear him. SAF understood that the perfect balance of being a good manager is to be ruthless and at the same time caring to your players. He'd smack you with a shoe in one moment when you do something wrong and the next caress you in his arms when you do something right. This instills absolutely unwavering loyalty and every player gives it all, even those that were not quite good overperformed greatly. He was a master of psychology. In contrast to Ole, Mourinho by the time he came to United was on the opposite spectrum - he was overly harsh and despite being right, didn't have the necessary diplomatic skills not to engage in constant conflicts with both management and players.

Let's hope Erik Ten Haag possesses even the smallest of bit of that talent SAF had because it'd be more than enough to get us back to the top
But Ole made friends here! What are you on about?