g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Blood Mage

A top, top coach who has us more organised and energised than we have been in years, despite having one arm tied behind his back by the board. If they buy him an extra attacker before the window shuts then a title surge isn't out of the question, but they won't.

croadyman

Makes no sense not to splash the cash this month and get a decent CF either short term or loan, unless of course you're not planning on selling unless the price is right and you want to take a fat dividend next season.
Looking at how much he's getting out of our current squad,think he might just be able to get a tune out of Depay/Morata. I still think Thuram could be ideal for €15m as can be utilised after this season too.

croadyman

"Erik ten Hag has explained why Man Utd's emphatic 3-0 win over Bournemouth was not the Red Devils' 'best game', stating that his side were 'lucky' at times.

Man Utd romped to a third straight win in the Premier League thanks to goals from Casemiro, Luke Shaw and Marcus Rashford on Tuesday night at Old Trafford.

In winning the game, Ten Hag's side went to within just one point of inner-city rivals Manchester City in the Premier League table - something that seemed pretty impossible six months ago.

Despite the win, speaking to the press after the game Ten Hag noted that he wasn't particularly pleased with his side's performance.

"I am happy with 3-0, that is obvious and quite clear but today was not our best game. We didn't play smart as a team and sometimes we were lucky," he said.

"We scored great goals and should have scored more. We could have conceded too but great saves from David de Gea, I am not happy with that. It is something we have to avoid."

The Man Utd manager also provided an update on Donny van de Beek's fitness after the midfielder was forced off with an apparent injury before half-time in the game. Ten Hag said that the injury was 'not looking good' and that the player will undergo tests on Wednesday to find out the extent of his issue."

Love the mentality!
Yeah you get the impression he would find fault when we really give someone a hiding and that is music to our ears

jamesjimmybyrondean

Love him so far. The only problem I have is we always seem to be in a rush in the build up, playing alot of risky passes. I'd like a bit more calmness in midfield but I'm not sure if it's Ten Hags tactics causing it or because we have Bruno and Eriksen in midfield

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A top, top coach who has us more organised and energised than we have been in years, despite having one arm tied behind his back by the board. If they buy him an extra attacker before the window shuts then a title surge isn't out of the question, but they won't.
They gave him almost £250m in his first window and unrestricted control, even against our biggest players. This is just making shit up as far as I can see.

A bit worried the new owners would have their own plans for the manager post and look for the first opportunity to give him the boot. Hopefully they have more sense than that because this is the best manager we've had since Sir Alex and if given the necessary time & financial backing, he'd get us back where we belong.
For this to happen they’d have to be absolute morons.
They will have seen what has transpired since SAF left, no way would a new owner be looking to replace ETH.

Chelsea got rid of Tuchel which seemed mad at the time for Potter , it can happen.
Didn’t seem that mad, in league football he’s underwhelmed everywhere. Even at PSG he managed a first half of a season that lead to them not winning the league.
Seems to do well enough in Cups mind but Tuchel is massively overrated judging by his league CV. Last season he only managed a points haul to match Ole Gunnar Solksjaer’s best (74), ETH looks set to twat that despite the clusterfeck he inherited.

Redfrog

I'll be honest and say I'm not excited about the next 2 PL games at all - I'm not totally bricking it either, but at this point I feel we are favourites against any team bar City and Arsenal and alas, they're coming back-to-back. I feel we could have easily put a momentous run together if those 2 were further down the season.

Either way, this team of ours is so effective at getting results that they could go and get 4 out of 6 points from those games, and if we manage that, well that's huge! On the other hand, it wouldn't be completely strange to come out with zero.
Yeah, I feel the same. The next two games should not really matter in the bigger picture. We have to be consistent in the league, that’s key. Even if we lose the next two, that’s not really important as we are a team in construction and they are settled. Anyway, I wouldn’t mind good results, that would be great.
T’en Hag is doing a hell of a job. He shouldn’t be judged by the next 2 games.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Love that we keep winning comfortably and with keeping clean sheets. I’m worried though that because we’re in good form the board are gonna think we don’t need to strengthen because we’re coping with the squad we’ve got. That’s a down side we’ve always had. When things are going well we leave it as it is. When we lose and things go bad that’s when we panic and buy to keep everyone happy. We need to capitalise on this form and go for another addition to give us that extra boost. Arsenal are still trying to buy despite being on top. I feel like 1 good striker this window and we could sneak into the top 2.

Loon

:lol:
As others have pointed out, Solskjaer looked like the second coming when he first rocked up, so caution is required, but Ten Hag was my choice for manager and, after a disastrous start, it is great to see our development and hear of the various things he has taken control of behind the scenes.

I really hope he goes on to be the success I want him to be.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's not a big fan of rotation, fair enough we're getting the points but I expected to try something different than Eriksen - Casemiro midfield and Bruno in free attacking role. I'm a bit worried we don't have a plan B, but otherwise more than happy with ETH.

He'll do extremely well to keep this points per game ratio considering how thin we are in attack and 2/3 key forwards are always missing.

Heyli

Supports
Ajax
He's not a big fan of rotation, fair enough we're getting the points but I expected to try something different than Eriksen - Casemiro midfield and Bruno in free attacking role. I'm a bit worried we don't have a plan B, but otherwise more than happy with ETH.

He'll do extremely well to keep this points per game ratio considering how thin we are in attack and 2/3 key forwards are always missing.
I definitely dont recall ETH for having a great plan B at Ajax. On the other hand, he's very good at making plan A work, which I would argue is way more important then being able to pull of a hail mary now and then... :)

Lord Zlatan

As others have pointed out, Solskjaer looked like the second coming when he first rocked up, so caution is required, but Ten Hag was my choice for manager and, after a disastrous start, it is great to see our development and hear of the various things he has taken control of behind the scenes.

I think the one difference though is that Ten Hag has made cultural and structural changes in the club which took a few months to pay off and we are seeing that now. Ole just gave everyone a hug and made them feel better for a while after Jose and it soon wore off.

Loon

:lol:
I think the one difference though is that Ten Hag has made cultural and structural changes in the club which took a few months to pay off and we are seeing that now. Ole just gave everyone a hug and made them feel better for a while after Jose and it soon wore off.
Absolutely, but there's no guarantee cultural and structural changes will not suffer the same fate, but it looks so promising for now...

Telsim

Halfway through the season now and managed to make Top 4 with a game in hand. Better than I expected, to be honest. But he needs to be supported this transfer window.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Halfway through the season now and managed to make Top 4 with a game in hand. Better than I expected, to be honest. But he needs to be supported this transfer window.
Two more games till its officially halfway in the league. Our next two games are against teams above us too.

Telsim

Two more games till its officially halfway in the league. Our next two games are against teams above us too.
Technically, it is halfway, since we already played both City and Arsenal and should have been at 19 games now, but Leeds and Crystal Palace got postponed. I'll be positive and say we can at least 4 points from those. :lol:

Bert_

New owners would be silly to let him slip through their fingers, we've got potential contender to klopp and pep at the club. I'm not saying he definitely is that, but he definitely has the potential and tactical knowledge to get there. Part of what makes him exciting for me is not knowing what his ceiling is yet. Where as with the other managers we could get, we already know they aren't on that level.
Hopefully irrational, but I'm terrified the new owners take a dislike to him and get rid. When the Glazers took over there was no chance they would sack SAF. ETH doesn't have that legacy and prestige to be so safe. Everyone knows it would be a daft decision to sack him but who knows which egotistical cnut will sit at the head of the table in future.

Having to rely on benevolence is so depressing. Hopefully fan/community ownership becomes a thing one day.

Marcus

Ole's situation was a bit like Wenger's start. Benefitting from having the discipline and structure of the previous regime and just telling his players to go enjoy themselves and play attacking football. The wins came fast and furious and the Glazers probably thought he was the man, but alas. After a while, without further tactical coaching, the previous lessons start to fade and Ole's success became unsustainable.

EtH on the other hand had a horrible foundation to build upon and he has been a credit to himself.

Shark

@NotShark
Hopefully irrational, but I'm terrified the new owners take a dislike to him and get rid. When the Glazers took over there was no chance they would sack SAF. ETH doesn't have that legacy and prestige to be so safe. Everyone knows it would be a daft decision to sack him but who knows which egotistical cnut will sit at the head of the table in future.

Having to rely on benevolence is so depressing. Hopefully fan/community ownership becomes a thing one day.
All these owners care about is results. ETH is getting them.

GMoore23

I know we spent a lot in the summer but the club really needs to back this man again in January, even if it means spending less in the summer.

We're only a top striker away from a major title challenge and Christ we've waited long enough for this.

arnie_ni

That’s a complete nonsense. They have been useful in the season we finished second and played to help with a certain objective. We destroyed all of that with Ronaldo instead of a midfield but it is what it is.

Again, someone who doesn’t appreciate ETH is not necessarily a Ole’s fan.
Yes it was all ronaldos fault

dalriada

I'd be extremely pleased for this until I saw Ole 2nd and Moyes 3rd.
Credit where credit is due - let's not forget the difference Ole made when he took over from Mourinho, it was like a breath of fresh air. The difference with ETH is a feeling that there is something more substantial for the longer term and it won't just all turn out to be a short -term recovery.

dalriada

I'd be extremely pleased for this until I saw Ole 2nd and Moyes 3rd.
Credit where credit is due - let's not forget the difference Ole made when he took over from Mourinho, it was like a breath of fresh air. The difference with ETH is a feeling that there is something more substantial for the longer term and it won't just all turn out to be a short -term recovery.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
If he had a real Sporting directors and good owners, this guy could have competed for the title next year.

Hope that he will have the money next summer.

saivet

We're not blasting teams away but more often than not we're the better side. I don't think we've had many outstanding performances but he's raised the bar and there is a consitency with our performances and how we play.

Massive scope to improve and with time and new addition I've got full confidence that we're on the right trajectory.

I never fully bought in to any of our previous managers at any point but feel like I'm there more or less there with ETH.

romufc

Yes, I can see where people point that out.

However; that's looking at results only. When you analyse the performances, its actually the opposite. Ole when he came in brought a fresh start for many of the players and we started well and then faded with a few 1-0 wins, not the greatest performances.

This however; is different, we are looking better by the game, his coaching is showing.
Ten Hag has credentials from Ajax, we can see his style of football being implemented.

We need to do whatever we need to do to back this manager. The board must give him an attacker.

mctrials23

They gave him almost £250m in his first window and unrestricted control, even against our biggest players. This is just making shit up as far as I can see.
Yeah, hes been heavily backed. Probably spent poorly on Antony by the looks of it but its still early. Rome wasn't built in a day and it will take another season to have anything like a full squad he is happy with.

Yeah, Oles early days was taking the organisation and coaching from Jose and making the players happy. Quite a combination it turned out. Unfortunately that eventually wore off and teams realised how to play against us and it slowly fell apart under an inept tactician and coaching staff.

Yep. EtH is making proper changes around the club and its working. Fingers crossed it continues.

wolvored

What options in midfield does he have though? McFred proven shit, VDB also poor, or does he risk trying Iqbal, Mainoo perhaps? Casemiro Eriksen and Bruno are his strongest three.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
After he literally just made 5 changes from the starting 11 in the previous game. That’s half the outfield players.
Rashford was dropped for disciplinary reasons last game, Antony is injured, you can make a case for Lindelof and Maguire.

I do think most changes ETH makes are forced, and I don't have any issue with that, I just don't think he likes to rotate based on his preferences in defense and midfield (attack is a bit of a mess with injuries and other issues).

massi83

Rashford was dropped for disciplinary reasons last game, Antony is injured, you can make a case for Lindelof and Maguire.

I do think most changes ETH makes are forced, and I don't have any issue with that, I just don't think he likes to rotate based on his preferences in defense and midfield (attack is a bit of a mess with injuries and other issues).
We have no way of knowing given our secondary options are so much worse in every position.

georgipep

I definitely will accept a draw next week. That feeling when watching us achieve that many wins in a row has been lost for the past ten years. It’s a landmark really to show the winning mentality and mental strength. Under Sir Alex, it’s how we overcame Jose’s Chelsea and Pep’s ManCity when people felt they were unbeatable.
My original expectations in timeline about our development so far is on schedule, i.e., major transformation done before the end of year. Now, it’s the second phase to try to win trophies, including the league though a bit difficult. But, who knows. I am of course very optimistic. :smirk:
Sir Alex never managed us against Pep's City

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I mean who is going to be in plan B? Donny? Iqbal? We can't lose points.

Andre Kagawa

Well, I admittedly made an overly dramatic post before the game regarding him over rotating. And I'm eating my hat as we speak.

I really hope the potential sale of the club doesn’t hamper possible transfer activity in January. I don’t have any idea of how these things usually work.

I guess a possible scenario could also be that Glazers want to spend to ensure a top 4 spot and thus being able to up the price?

Reactions: Cheimoon

In Rainbows

Yes, I can see where people point that out.

However; that's looking at results only. When you analyse the performances, its actually the opposite. Ole when he came in brought a fresh start for many of the players and we started well and then faded with a few 1-0 wins, not the greatest performances.

This however; is different, we are looking better by the game, his coaching is showing.
Ten Hag has credentials from Ajax, we can see his style of football being implemented.

We need to do whatever we need to do to back this manager. The board must give him an attacker.
Yep, our football to start his tenure was the best football Ole had United playing compared to any other time that he managed. Which is not a good sign. ETH on the other hand, has had more success sustaining his level of attacking football under Ajax. And if anything, he purposely had United abandon some of his football because the team showed him they were not ready to do it all at once with those 2 opening defeats. This pragmatic approach is what led to people thinking that the football was not all that great at the start.

However, from then on he has clearly reintroduced his preferred way of playing and the players have been able to keep it up. They are no longer mentally fragile, and have come to terms with what is asked of them by Ten Hag.

Much different from Ole's start.