Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

spiriticon

Is that all it is then?

Mistake - criticise. Done well - stay quiet.

Like I said, absolutely miserable group of “supporters“.
It's the objection and counter objections to posts that takes up pages. Nobody disagrees that we had a good game, so all is good and there's nothing much to add.

Free free to object to the notion that ten Hag had a good game if you want, that will boost the post count up by 10 pages and fatten the thread a little bit.

I think people need to disengage with the idea that criticism, or simply even questioning him, means that you want him sacked. It is possible to question him, and yet still want him to stay.

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch
On track for 75 points this season which would be the second highest post SAF. 80 would be amazing and puts a real marker down if we are serious about challenging next season.

romufc

This is why you be patient with a manager, the likes of @kouroux could learn from this season.

Ten Hag, hampered by a stroppy Ronaldo, dealt lengthy injury problems and suspensions to key players like Rashford, Eriksen and Casemiro, all with the potential sale of the club going on in the background - has us pretty much nailed on for at least 4th, has won a trophy in his first season, has Utd playing some exciting football at times and is also still in the FA Cup and Europa League when we’re in mid April.

We’ve got one of the best managers around but no, let’s cry and moan whenever one match doesn’t go our way.

Our online fans don’t ever learn. Thankfully, our matchgoing fans have more patience.
Ten Hag has had a good season, I agree with this and some of our football in the recent weeks is back to being good again.

However; does this mean because he is getting us top 4 and trophy he is immune to criticism?

The one thing that is not questioned by many fans is the support for Ten Hag, I think most United fans would agree he is the best man for the job but there is also room for improvement, I think Ten Hag has learnt alot this season too. Some of the lessons have been hard, I rather him learn them this season so, next season we are aware of all these issues and can mount a challenge in the bigger cups.

He needs his players in this window though.

Longshanks

Think we are begining to see ten hag ball almost in full flow. It was only Forest who made it very easy for us but we still played very well, that midfield three is genuinely world class, especially given the space and time afforded by Forest today.

There is still work to do and the squad depth particularly in centre forward and midfield areas are an issue that needs solving, and i still feel a new genuine sweeping ball playing GK is required.

But I don't think we could ask much more of ten hag so far and there is certainly a feel that he is building something special, this summer will be vital and only the right signings will get us moving forward towards title challenges.

Mr. Robot

Ten Hag has had a good season, I agree with this and some of our football in the recent weeks is back to being good again.

However; does this mean because he is getting us top 4 and trophy he is immune to criticism?

The one thing that is not questioned by many fans is the support for Ten Hag, I think most United fans would agree he is the best man for the job but there is also room for improvement, I think Ten Hag has learnt alot this season too. Some of the lessons have been hard, I rather him learn them this season so, next season we are aware of all these issues and can mount a challenge in the bigger cups.

No of course not! But some of the BS posted in here whenever we don't win a match is embarassing.

Ten Hag is class - sure, he gets things wrong. So does Klopp. So does Pep. So does De Zerbi. So does everyone.

This place is far too dramatic when we don't win.

bosskeano

it's not easy to play against a team that sits in deep compact 5212 formation...as you try to stretch it over the top but it's sequences like taht with the intricate passing that really breaks things down with the ball movement and off ball movement

mav_9me

Hasn't improved the football though. :lol:

When the season ends, there will be a compilation of goals scored with beautiful pass and move from deep, starting with our opener vs Arsenal.

Unfortunately he lost 7-0 to Liverpool, 4-0 to Brentford and 6-3 to City. So clearly he hasn't improved our football.

kidbob

I understand that there is a long list of reasons and excuses why we are not positioned better in the table. tValid ones. But let’s not call it success until results are better than the last 5-6 seasons. That doesn’t mean I think ETH is doing a terrible or average job, just that it is too early to evaluate. As you say it will take time to improve, which also means we do not know yet if ETH is the man who can do it.
For me the biggest improvements are that we have a coach with a plan and a philosophy I like.

The context you say? And then you write that ETH has “achieved so much this season”. With context in mind, which achievements are you referring to? A brain dead and stupid writer like me could really learn a lot from you.
The achievements are being already on a better points total than last year while winning a Cup and in contention for 2 more. The context is the insane amount of injuries we've had and the Ronaldo situation. We have literally improved from last year. Can you deny this?

Ronaldo, while not being great, was our best striker last year and we lost him. Martial injured the whole year.

We have had no striker but Wout for most of the season. And even then we've had him since January. Is this fact wrong?

The many injuries we've had have happened to our best players. Is this wrong?

Our squad is one that you and most have called shit for the most part in the last few years and these are the players ETH has to rely on. Is this wrong?

Is that enough context for you?

We've played an enitire season with no striker. We've missed 2 of our best midfielders for half the season. We've only played 17 games where Bruno, Cas and Eriksen have played together and in those games we've won 15 and lost none. We now have Rashford and his natural back up (Garnacho) out. We're missing most of our defence right now for the run in. In all this time ETH has had to play players that for, at least, 3 years have been called 'shit' by the vast majority of our fan base. What more do you honestly want? Like what sort of incredible miracle do you want. I assume you think Maguire is shit, do you want ETH to turn him into Nesta? McTominay into Xavi? What do you, and posters like you want?

The context is the awful injuries, the Ronaldo and Greenwood situations and the ownership situation. The reality is that we are much better off than we were last season. Even if we fail in both cups and just get top 4 we have improved. That is why I am so impressed with ETH.

So what is your problem? What do you think he should be doing better? Are you one of 'those' posters who care more about a 7-0 freak result against Liverpool than the fact we are smashing them in points in the League. Please tell me what you think 'should' be better but don't try to say that injuries and everything else he's faced should not matter. That is the 'context'.

Take away 10 first team players from Pep for various parts of the season and let me know how he does. Hell take away Haaland for basically the entire season and let me know. Yet ETH has gotten on with the job, refused to blame injuries and the situation, gotten results in spite of that and yet you still doubt him.

What more do you want? But most of all why is it that when you judge ETH you seem to never take into account the amount of, out of his hands, difficulties he's faced?

kidbob

You are a delightful. Lets hope, that all those stupid people finally realize their deficiencies and accept your superiority.
I have no need for superiority. I am simply sick of the negativity around this place at every slightly bad result. I'm also sick of the fact that all of these posters refuse to understand the issues that ETH has faced and the great job he's done for the most part. So instead of those posters understanding their deficiencies, hopefully they start judging our team and manager through a fair eye.

NZT-One

I think you've got me mixed up with somebody else.

I rarely, if ever, bash the manager. If you want to provide some examples go ahead. Should be straightforward if I'm here doing it all the time.

Big problem with this thread is incredibly sensitive posters who take anything less than 100% praise as criticism of the manager. No middle ground.
100%. Which is so weird after having been through more or less the same situation with Ole a mere couple of years ago...

We have literally improved from last year. Can you deny this?
Who does deny this? Maybe stop arguing with people's opinions that aren't even there. Of course there are improvements, how couldn't there be when last year was the biggest shitshow imaginable and after a shopping tour of 200 million. The manager did well, very well. But he didn't do god-like and even if, nobody will ever be beyond criticism. The level of improvement is in question and unlike you think, that you and the "reasonable posters" have some god-given ability to assess that in a perfectly objective manner we have to live with subjective feeling.

I have no need for superiority. I am simply sick of the negativity around this place at every slightly bad result. I'm also sick of the fact that all of these posters refuse to understand the issues that ETH has faced and the great job he's done for the most part. So instead of those posters understanding their deficiencies, hopefully they start judging our team and manager through a fair eye.
Ah so "those posters" don't have deficiencies but are just unfair. Got it...

Seriously dude, read your text. Read also the one I was commenting on in the first place. You are acting as if we are in deep Ole times with a deep rift in Redcafe, with constant ott criticism from big group of people. It is nowhere near that so maybe you should reflect on your level of sensitivity if the little bit of (in my opinion mostly constructive) criticism (which just as often is an answer to some OTT praise) is making you so miserable.
What do you think will happen down that road? You will call people unfair, last post it was stupid. What do you think will happen, once a bad result comes in?

If you want to praise the manager, do so. Accept that some people will disagree and some will agree. Not because one group is "better people" but just because they have a different standpoint so cut the personal stuff, as this will do nothing than firing some people up.

mshnsh

Depends on the summer transfer window. If the ownership doesn't get resolved, we may not be able to do all the buying needed.

Imo a controlling CM and a no. 9 are the bare minimum needed. Arguably a GK and a Casemiro back up... what are the chances of all of those.

Without the transfers no way we are challenging a team like city.
I agree. Can we get Bellingham?

kidbob

100%. Which is so weird after having been through more or less the same situation with Ole a mere couple of years ago...

Who does deny this? Maybe stop arguing with people's opinions that aren't even there. Of course there are improvements, how couldn't there be when last year was the biggest shitshow imaginable and after a shopping tour of 200 million. The manager did well, very well. But he didn't do god-like and even if, nobody will ever be beyond criticism. The level of improvement is in question and unlike you think, that you and the "reasonable posters" have some god-given ability to assess that in a perfectly objective manner we have to live with subjective feeling.

Ah so "those posters" don't have deficiencies but are just unfair. Got it...

Seriously dude, read your text. Read also the one I was commenting on in the first place. You are acting as if we are in deep Ole times with a deep rift in Redcafe, with constant ott criticism from big group of people. It is nowhere near that so maybe you should reflect on your level of sensitivity if the little bit of (in my opinion mostly constructive) criticism (which just as often is an answer to some OTT praise) is making you so miserable.
What do you think will happen down that road? You will call people unfair, last post it was stupid. What do you think will happen, once a bad result comes in?

If you want to praise the manager, do so. Accept that some people will disagree and some will agree. Not because one group is "better people" but just because they have a different standpoint so cut the personal stuff, as this will do nothing than firing some people up.
What more do you expect ETH should have achieved this season in the context of Ronaldo, Greenwood, ownership situation and injuries? What would make you rate him 10/10?

mshnsh

The achievements are being already on a better points total than last year while winning a Cup and in contention for 2 more. The context is the insane amount of injuries we've had and the Ronaldo situation. We have literally improved from last year. Can you deny this?

Ronaldo, while not being great, was our best striker last year and we lost him. Martial injured the whole year.

We have had no striker but Wout for most of the season. And even then we've had him since January. Is this fact wrong?

Our squad is one that you and most have called shit for the most part in the last few years and these are the players ETH has to rely on. Is this wrong?

We've played an enitire season with no striker. We've missed 2 of our best midfielders for half the season. We've only played 17 games where Bruno, Cas and Eriksen have played together and in those games we've won 15 and lost none. We now have Rashford and his natural back up (Garnacho) out. We're missing most of our defence right now for the run in. In all this time ETH has had to play players that for, at least, 3 years have been called 'shit' by the vast majority of our fan base. What more do you honestly want? Like what sort of incredible miracle do you want. I assume you think Maguire is shit, do you want ETH to turn him into Nesta? McTominay into Xavi? What do you, and posters like you want?

The context is the awful injuries, the Ronaldo and Greenwood situations and the ownership situation. The reality is that we are much better off than we were last season. Even if we fail in both cups and just get top 4 we have improved. That is why I am so impressed with ETH.

So what is your problem? What do you think he should be doing better? Are you one of 'those' posters who care more about a 7-0 freak result against Liverpool than the fact we are smashing them in points in the League. Please tell me what you think 'should' be better but don't try to say that injuries and everything else he's faced should not matter. That is the 'context'.

Take away 10 first team players from Pep for various parts of the season and let me know how he does. Hell take away Haaland for basically the entire season and let me know. Yet ETH has gotten on with the job, refused to blame injuries and the situation, gotten results in spite of that and yet you still doubt him.

What more do you want? But most of all why is it that when you judge ETH you seem to never take into account the amount of, out of his hands, difficulties he's faced?
Won the title last season without him.

Other than that, I agree that 10Hag is doing a great job so far. We lost abit of focus after winning the Carling Cup but hopefully we have permanently turned the corner.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Hasn't improved the football though. :lol:

I read today that we didn't lose the game with our best midfield trio starting. And ETH said few times that midfield is the key of everything.
That is why, besides new no9, it is priority this summer to buy another creative midfielder like Eriksen.

Our football with Eriksen in the middle (so with playmaker) is joy to watch.

kidbob

I read today that we didn't lose the game with our best midfield trio starting. And ETH said few times that midfield is the key of everything.
That is why, besides new no9, it is priority this summer to buy another creative midfielder like Eriksen.

Played 17 games with Bruno, Cas and Eriksen. Won 15 and drew 2. Injuries and suspensions to your best players don't matter. Our back ups are shit but ETH hasn't done a good enough job.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This is why you be patient with a manager, the likes of @kouroux could learn from this season.

Ten Hag, hampered by a stroppy Ronaldo, dealt lengthy injury problems and suspensions to key players like Rashford, Eriksen and Casemiro, all with the potential sale of the club going on in the background - has us pretty much nailed on for at least 4th, has won a trophy in his first season, has Utd playing some exciting football at times and is also still in the FA Cup and Europa League when we’re in mid April.

We’ve got one of the best managers around but no, let’s cry and moan whenever one match doesn’t go our way.

Our online fans don’t ever learn. Thankfully, our matchgoing fans have more patience.
You also need to learn that a manager can get criticized for decisions made in game or a few games while keeping it fair, it's not sign of impatience if you have questions about specific things.
The problem is that ETH being so popular that anyone making a fair criticism is deemed to be harsh and at worse considered like a cnut who wants him sacked by his unbearable fanbois
None of what you said justifies for instance, the way he's persisted with Wout for too many games.

InfiniteBoredom

Tbf those stats are a bit meaningless, prior to the Anfield game, there was a stat floating around that we’ve never conceded a goal or sth like that when Case, Varane and Licha are on the same pitch together. We all knew what happened afterwards.

The point about the midfield is true. Imo we should sign 2 new midfielders, not one, and use Eriksen as rotation for the new 8 and Bruno.

NZT-One

What more do you expect ETH should have achieved this season in the context of Ronaldo, Greenwood, ownership situation and injuries? What would make you rate him 10/10?
For me 10 out of 10 means he smashes everything, wins us the league in his first season while improving all available players. He manages to win all cups (maybe bar one due to an unlucky final or semi-final defeat) while still managing to give some youth player chances. He also does so in style while having us play great dominating football ending in all rival fans admitting that we have been the best team in the country.

I hope you are not going to lecture me about the realism of that. I didn't expect ETH to achieve all that and I am celebrating him, even if doesn't achieve one of those things. Currently, I'd give him a good 7 out of 10. Depending on whats still to come, there is room to achieve 8 out of 10. 8 out of 10 for me is really really good. 7 is very good and nothing, to complain about. But I guess, some on here giving out 6's and 7's as soon as somebody doesn't feck up something. Which is of course absolutely legitimate but I think it de-values the good grades.

What would your rate be?

(And just for protocol: I absolutely agree with you, that ETH did more than well in terms of managing the several issues we had. BUT, when you want me to acknowledge that, which I happily do, I am sure you are ready to acknowledge, that the league level this year hasn't been as cut-throat as it could have been, quite a few challengers for top4 are in the **it which undoubtedly also helps us being as secure in the table as we are given some of the not so great underlying numbers (for example goals, goals against) )

nickm

For me 10 out of 10 means he smashes everything, wins us the league in his first season while improving all available players. He manages to win all cups (maybe bar one due to an unlucky final or semi-final defeat) while still managing to give some youth player chances. He also does so in style while having us play great dominating football ending in all rival fans admitting that we have been the best team in the country.

I hope you are not going to lecture me about the realism of that. I didn't expect ETH to achieve all that and I am celebrating him, even if doesn't achieve one of those things. Currently, I'd give him a good 7 out of 10. Depending on whats still to come, there is room to achieve 8 out of 10. 8 out of 10 for me is really really good. 7 is very good and nothing, to complain about. But I guess, some on here giving out 6's and 7's as soon as somebody doesn't feck up something. Which is of course absolutely legitimate but I think it de-values the good grades.

What would your rate be?

(And just for protocol: I absolutely agree with you, that ETH did more than well in terms of managing the several issues we had. BUT, when you want me to acknowledge that, which I happily do, I am sure you are ready to acknowledge, that the league level this year hasn't been as cut-throat as it could have been, quite a few challengers for top4 are in the **it which undoubtedly also helps us being as secure in the table as we are given some of the not so great underlying numbers (for example goals, goals against) )
Not sure I can agree with that approach. Setting the bar at a level that no manger has ever achieved and could ever achieve starting from where we did, is pointless. I think 9/10 is: 2 cups and a top 3 this sessson, embedding a culture of excellence, a playing style and happy confident players, who want to do well for him. 8.5/10 is one cup and top 4, which we would have all agreed was a 9/10 result at the start of the season, when there were genuine worries about relegation.

NZT-One

Not sure I can agree with that approach. Setting the bar at a level that no manger has ever achieved and could ever achieve starting from where we did, is pointless. I think 9/10 is: 2 cups and a top 3 this sessson, embedding a culture of excellence, a playing style and happy confident players, who want to do well for him. 8.5/10 is one cup and top 4, which we would have all agreed was a 9/10 result at the start of the season, when there were genuine worries about relegation.
I see your point. The approach has its downsides but so do others as well. For example you are taking club culture into account, which is something I'd be unsure about as we don't know, what it is that instills the changes - might be the manager, might be new players, might be existing players who want to save their names.
FYI: a season like Tuchels 1st Chelsea season would be 9 out of 10 for me. Of course it is a freak thing, but it does happen. At least the scale then has a (somewhat) natural end. When taking starting position into account plus one cup or two cups, it introduces even more subjectiveness, if you know what I mean. Because one might value the starting position as worse than somebody else, another one sees the changes as way more remarkable.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Do you have a single post where you don't "attack" someone? With you it is only "fight, fight, fight"...
I get it. You are top fan. You will get your tag sooner or later. Chill.

maxtrash

I find it difficult to talk about lessons learnt etc. It suggests that he should not make mistakes anymore next year. In reality as a manager you're dealing with people in a unpredictable sports activity. Shit happens.
it's about making good decisions most of the time. Sometimes things don't go according to plan.

I'm just very afraid our hopes are becoming too high. It really can still be a couple of years before we have a realistic chance of getting 1st in the PL.

A-man

I just wrote it’s too early to evaluate ETH. Our results this season are not better than what we’ve seen the over the last 5-6 seasons. For me an improvement is not to come up with excuses why we should be happy with mediocre results, but to improve on our last seasons.

Djemba-Djemba

I just wrote it’s too early to evaluate ETH. Our results this season are not better than what we’ve seen the over the last 5-6 seasons. For me an improvement is not to come up with excuses why we should be happy with mediocre results, but to improve on our last seasons.
Yes they are.

We haven't won a trophy and finished top 4 since Fergie retired. We almost certainly will this season.

Abraxas

I find it difficult to talk about lessons learnt etc. It suggests that he should not make mistakes anymore next year. In reality as a manager you're dealing with people in a unpredictable sports activity. Shit happens.
it's about making good decisions most of the time. Sometimes things don't go according to plan.

I'm just very afraid our hopes are becoming too high. It really can still be a couple of years before we have a realistic chance of getting 1st in the PL.
I'm not sure learning lessons suggests he "should not" make mistakes next year. He should try to avoid mistakes, but will certainly make them.

But I think the idea around learning lessons is he doesn't make too many similar mistakes, or he changes some thought processes that he had that he can analyse as often leading to poorer outcomes. Whether that is being more flexible in certain thinking or simply not doing things a certain way that havn't worked this year, whether it's tactically, dealing with certain players, in the market, there are a myriad of areas of responsibility for the manager and it's all difficult. I think that's a fairly natural process for a manager because when he analyses this season there will be a heck of a lot he has had to distill over the course of this season as he adjusts to our club, the squad, the Premier League. It's probably more of an ongoing process than something he sits down in his armchair and thinks about at the end of the season, but obviously season end is a natural point where there is more time to implement plans.

After all, if you're going to make good decisions "most of the time" then you have to be continually improving in football, because that is what all your rivals are attempting to do. Doing the same thing again and again is probably going to lead to stagnation, or worse...regression. So I don't think saying ETH has to learn lessons and improve is being harsh or critical, it's just the nature of the beast in such a demanding position, and it doesn't in any way mean he hasn't done a superb job so far. He's obviously getting far more right than wrong otherwise there wouldn't have been the dramatic shift he has overseen.

A-man

Yes they are.

We haven't won a trophy and finished top 4 since Fergie retired. We almost certainly will this season.
The trophy is a nice achievement, but considering the teams we played I wouldn’t call it a sign for progress. And also over the last seasons we finished second in the PL twice, won EL plus one more final and won the league cup. An improvement on that is a good placement like semi final in the CL and/or fighting to the bitter end for the PL title imo.

What is progress is how we play in certain matches, how we have developed patterns of play etc, but result wise, let’s wait a little before we call it a success.

Djemba-Djemba

The trophy is a nice achievement, but considering the teams we played I wouldn’t call it a sign for progress. And also over the last seasons we finished second in the PL twice, won EL plus one more final and won the league cup. An improvement on that is a good placement like semi final in the CL and/or fighting to the bitter end for the PL title imo.

What is progress is how we play in certain matches, how we have developed patterns of play etc, but result wise, let’s wait a little before we call it a success.
Nobody is saying build ETH a statue this summer.

Just that for his first season, with all the problems we've had with the ownership trouble Ronaldo being a total unprofessional cnut and the terrible injuries we've had all season, to finish top 4 and win at least one trophy is a good start.

We also clearly play much nicer football than we have in years and when we can get our first choice midfield of Casemiro Bruno and Eriksen playing together we look a top side that can control games.

kouroux

That's the main thing. All criticism aren't equal and as long as it's done fairly without any ulterior motive then it's fair game on anyone, even our beloved coach.
Some simple minded people to be polite like @Mr. Robot aren't even willing to do that when there is nothing wrong with it.

A-man

Nobody is saying build ETH a statue this summer.

Just that for his first season, with all the problems we've had with the ownership trouble Ronaldo being a total unprofessional cnut and the terrible injuries we've had all season, to finish top 4 and win at least one trophy is a good start.

We also clearly play much nicer football than we have in years and when we can get our first choice midfield of Casemiro Bruno and Eriksen playing together we look a top side that can control games.
Agree with that. It’s a good start and in some games like the last one, we start to see football played with a purpose and a plan. Hopefully the results will come as well.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
When the season ends, there will be a compilation of goals scored with beautiful pass and move from deep, starting with our opener vs Arsenal.

Unfortunately he lost 7-0 to Liverpool, 4-0 to Brentford and 6-3 to City. So clearly he hasn't improved our football.
On top, he took over a top team, a close group of players full of confidence and used to play quality football and win games. Easy task actually

Valencia Shin Crosses

What would your rate be?

Having your 10/10 criteria being winning the treble when rating whether a managers first season is fecking absurd

kouroux

Personally I don't need the season to finish to be overall very happy with him. He's done an incredible job. For next season, hopefully we reach another level in terms of controlling games and specially being solid when the momentum is against us (can't really dominate games from start to finish).

Djemba-Djemba

Personally I don't need the season to finish to be overall very happy with him. He's done an incredible job. For next season, hopefully we reach another level in terms of controlling games and specially being solid when the momentum is against us (can't really dominate games from start to finish).
To be fair I think the period post World Cup right up until the Arsenal game is probably the best we've looked all season and that was the period where we had the fewest injury and suspension issues. Most of our big players were fit and available during those weeks.

When we've actually managed to get our strongest team , or close to strongest 11 anyway , out on the pitch I think we have controlled and dominated games.

I agree though, I'm very happy with ETH. I think he's done a fantastic job in difficult circumstances.

nickm

A trophy isn't a "nice achievement" though. A trophy is the minimum requirement. We should try to win something every season. As we get better each year, we should try to win the bigger things, but our baseline should always be to win something. Winners win things.

Our biggest problem has been our terrible inconsistency. Even when we fluked second, did you feel confident in our players? This side looks, more often than not, like winners. There's something tangible to build on, that's the progress we've made IMO. We're not there yet, as the Liverpool etc result shows, but even that didn't lead to a collapse. That's the measure of our progress. I'm confident we'll be playing in the Champions League now, and not just for one season, aren't you? We're good enough.

Last edited:

mav_9me

There's a slight underrating of Forest in media and online. They have failed to score at home only once in the PL, against Spurs in August. That's how strong they are at home.

I think we were just too good and made Forest look so bad.

nickm

You can definitely tell who the people are on here who'd have been waving the Ta-Ra Fergie banner if they'd been around at the time.