Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

pascell

I love him, so glad he's our manager. There's been blips this season and hopefully with a deeper squad of players that can play his way, he'll rotate more but he's got us in the right direction.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
I liked that we played better the second half compared to the first. That hasn't happened a lot this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It’s about defending not passing.
He's previously spoken about the left-foot thing in regards to in possession too, in terms of playing Shaw at LCB and signing Martinez.

Ten Hag on Luke Shaw: "We have seen the last two games he has been fabulous. In possession you can have better angles with the left foot. He has impressed but, of course, we know he is really good as a left full-back. It's an extra option and that's always good for a team."
The left-footed are better oriented on the left side and in possession you get better angles. Out of possession, because the orientation is better, it’s easier and more comfortable to go out and cover a full-back, for example.
I analysed United’s squad last year in the left part of the defence. He is left-footed and that is an advantage in possession and also in defending.

Suv666

If we could beat Spurs I’d say its top four done and dusted. Brilliant weekend for us with the rivals dropping points

King Kendrick

Supports
Eredivisie
He's previously spoken about the left-foot thing in regards to in possession too, in terms of playing Shaw at LCB and signing Martinez.
I don’t disagree that he hasn’t, but today specifically he was discussing about defending though. I wish they followed up on it more but to me it looks like he’s saying Maguire always leads with his right foot as a defender while Lindelof is comfortable leading with either. Very interesting, if so, how even that minute detail is analyzed and assessed.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
From the BBC: " Ten Hag says he had nine defenders, now he has four "

So who are the five then?

Varane, Martinez, Shaw, Malacia...?

Who am I obviously missing here, I am having a mind fade.

The_Order

45 minutes after the full time whistle, barely even a page added on here after producing a beautiful performance.

Instead of actually using this forum as a discussion board, people use it as an emotional punching bag, almost like venting to your therapist.

There’s no celebration, no enjoyment when it goes well. Only “criticism when it’s warranted”.

Such a miserable way to live your life. I hope whoever needs help gets it.
It’s pretty sad when you consider it.

miserable lot of doom-scrollers.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
100% convinced he will turn those wins, to 28-29 wins next season.

How we played today is how games should be, under control in every department. Not being overrun.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
If we get knocked out by those dirty cnuts Sevilla, this thread is going to explode.
Just as much as it is silent now.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Forest had 0 shots on target, as well. Again, we blew away another team. Just need to convert more chances.

Also, since the drubbing by Liverpool:

Played 9; Won 6; Drawn 2 (both with 10 men); Lost 1; Scored 15; Conceded 6; Clean sheets 5. Not bad.
Decent stats, we’ve been a tad unlucky too which would make them even better.

AndySmith1990

Is that all it is then?

Mistake - criticise. Done well - stay quiet.

Like I said, absolutely miserable group of “supporters“.
Negativity, criticism, controversy etc. all attract far more attention online in general. It's not restricted to United and it's nothing to do with United's fan base being miserable. It's human nature.

If you have something positive to add then why not just say it and move on. No need to start moaning and being insulting to others

Get In Scholesy

The way we interchanged in midfield today was a delight to see. Gives me confidence going into Seville. I know Bruno is suspended but his management makes me curious and confident to see how he will set the team.

fezzerUTD

Yeah mate, as if people only criticize somebody when they feel he made a mistake and stay away if they think he didn't.
Is that all it is then?

Mistake - criticise. Done well - stay quiet.

Like I said, absolutely miserable group of “supporters“.
How do you think Arsenal fam tv got so big. (Clue: It wasn’t because they were winning)

NYAS

Negativity, criticism, controversy etc. all attract far more attention online in general. It's not restricted to United and it's nothing to do with United's fan base being miserable. It's human nature.

If you have something positive to add then why not just say it and move on. No need to start moaning and being insulting to others
Nah, this is just you feeling attacked by what I said. We are talking about supporting a football club, we’re not talking about seeing some tweet from TMZ. There is an emotional connection that supporters have to a football club and you think it’s normal that people only express that in a negative way and not a positive one. Very strange.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The way we perform against inferior opponents has been encouraging for most of season and it’s something that can usually be relied on as being sustainable so fingers crossed we continue on that trajectory next season with some added consistency against top half.

Jam

Where have you heard this?
There's obviously nothing public, but it's a safe assumption based on him not even being registered this season, no actual comments on him/his injury status, and even his recent punditry performance he didn't speak as if he was a part of the squad.

Whether that is down to injury, or an illness, is pure conjuncture. But it's a safe assumption he won't be playing professional football again.

Yakuza_devils

I absolutely love the relentless attacking football we played today. The passing, the pressing, the teamwork and understanding were top notch. What a top performance from the team.

Hope next season we can consistently play this way against any team. This is the football we were looking for post SAF. ETH is the man to implement it. The key is we need to add more quality players and improve on consistency to play this style of play. We have seen patches this season. Next season is the season we should be challenging.

mav_9me

I absolutely love the relentless attacking football we played today. The passing, the pressing, the teamwork and understanding were top notch. What a top performance from the team.

Hope next season we can consistently play this way against any team. This is the football we were looking for post SAF. ETH is the man to implement it. The key is we need to add more quality players and improve on consistency to play this style of play. We have seen patches this season. Next season is the season we should be challenging.
Depends on the summer transfer window. If the ownership doesn't get resolved, we may not be able to do all the buying needed.

Imo a controlling CM and a no. 9 are the bare minimum needed. Arguably a GK and a Casemiro back up... what are the chances of all of those.

Without the transfers no way we are challenging a team like city.

RedorDead21

Depends on the summer transfer window. If the ownership doesn't get resolved, we may not be able to do all the buying needed.

Imo a controlling CM and a no. 9 are the bare minimum needed. Arguably a GK and a Casemiro back up... what are the chances of all of those.

Without the transfers no way we are challenging a team like city.
And we need better levels from Antony and Sancho for sure. And we need whoever we buy not to have a season like Antony has this season…which is to be expected with new buys in fairness.

Mr. Robot

This is why you be patient with a manager, the likes of @kouroux could learn from this season.

Ten Hag, hampered by a stroppy Ronaldo, dealt lengthy injury problems and suspensions to key players like Rashford, Eriksen and Casemiro, all with the potential sale of the club going on in the background - has us pretty much nailed on for at least 4th, has won a trophy in his first season, has Utd playing some exciting football at times and is also still in the FA Cup and Europa League when we’re in mid April.

We’ve got one of the best managers around but no, let’s cry and moan whenever one match doesn’t go our way.

Our online fans don’t ever learn. Thankfully, our matchgoing fans have more patience.

Marwood

I said AWB was god awful before. I didn’t say he’d always been god awful. Otherwise he’d never have been signed :lol:. You’re the one seeing what you want to see from my posts. Inferring things that haven’t been stated explicitly at all. Players can go through good and bad periods. Saying they were awful before a good period doesn’t in any way suggest they were always bad before that.

Suggesting managers have zero bearing on players performance levels is one of the most absurd takes I’ve ever seen. You’re basically rendering managers/coaches irrelevant. Are Chelsea players underperforming because they simply just are, or because of poor/mismatched management/coaching? Are you going to state managers are only there for their tactics?

Managers can absolutely get the best out of players. Conversely, bad managers can bring out the worst in their players too.

You spend all your days commenting on this thread, bashing the manager and the players. It’s tiresome.

Go spend some time enjoying being a football fan for once instead of peddling pessimism day in, day out on here.
I think you've got me mixed up with somebody else.

I rarely, if ever, bash the manager. If you want to provide some examples go ahead. Should be straightforward if I'm here doing it all the time.

Big problem with this thread is incredibly sensitive posters who take anything less than 100% praise as criticism of the manager. No middle ground.

Mr. Robot

Jones got injured in his first session under ETH in July and has been unable to complete a training session all season according to the Athletic today - so looks like he is the mystery 9th defender.
It still boggles the mind why we gave Jones another 10 year contract or whatever it was. The only explanation is that Phil has evidence of Woodward dogging in Eccles.

I can't wait until he's let go by the club, complete waste of time and money that lad.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He has the team set up structurally so the opportunities are there. There are a lot of games we should be winning 4 or 5 - 0 but the finishing is poor.

Once we have that I think we'll be a different animal. Putting games to bed early will give us so much confidence and also allow us to rest players/blood youth.

I think we've had about one game this season where we were comfortable and cruising. The rest have been in the balance until either late in the game or up until the end.