Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Jesus wept.

ETH didn’t move for Wout, and isn’t playing Wout, purely for the benefit of and to help out “his mate”.

You’re trying to make some grand conspiracy that he’s putting the happiness and appearances of Wout as his top priority.

In January there wasn’t many available options for a short term loan #9 that offered something different. And from those limited options of course ETH will go for a player he is familiar with, is different to what we had available, and is a player ETH believes qualities would help us. He didn’t just go “let us giz me mate Wout a call, he could do with a spell at United!”

And same with the minutes - ETH both sees the benefit of rotation (especially when Martial is made of fecking styrofoam), as well as a benefit to the overall contributions Wout offers.

I’m not a big fan of Wout and I think while he has offered us benefits in games here and there, he’s largely been a failure. There probably were better available options in January on a similar loan deal too. Sometimes it is really disappointing to see him get brought on, or in the starting line up. So I’m no big Wout defender. But your hot take is mental.

ETH isn’t sabotaging the season because he puts Weghorst above the club.
Nice twisting of what I said, I said he's fighting to find balance, how tf does that equal "putting the happiness of Wout as his top priority" ???
How tf do you go from I said to that :houllier: ? Jesus Wept indeed...Upgrade your comprehension skills bruh

georgipep

Nice twisting of what I said, I said he's fighting to find balance, how tf does that equal "putting the happiness of Wout as his top priority" ???
How tf do you go from I said to that :houllier: ? Jesus Wept indeed...Upgrade your comprehension skills bruh
That's how

ETH has been juggling between what was good for the team and playing Wout as much as possible.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't understand what's wrong with playing Weghorst. He is the back up CF and our first choice CF is injury prone. So Martial plays lot of mins and Weghorst comes on to play last few mins.

maxtrash

I knew Wout wasn't going to be the best addition to the team ever, but still he disapointed. I cannot understand how a Dutch national team player that scores one goal every 2 games in both Germany and Turkey is not able to score even a single goal in the PL.
For me personally ETH has done a tremendous job, for obvious reasons. People tend to forget about the expectations at the beginning of the year but to me 4th place, a trophy and improvement in team spirit is more than enough for the first year.
However, LVG advised against it because "Manchester united is not a football club": the dismal state of the technical heart of the club is going to bite ETH in the ass. As usual out of 3 transfers one will be good, one will be bad and one will be meh. People tend to remember the bad ones more. Now that ETH has had so much influence in the decision making, less successful transfers like Weghorst (just plain disappointing), Antony (just too expensive, only partially ETH's fault) and Malacia (jury is out but probaby not good enough) are attributed to him. Whereas better ones (Casemiro!) might not be linked to him.
Martinez made an excellent impression in his first season but is injured now. At the time he entered his energy and determination were very much needed. I'm not so sure he will be able to have the same impact in his second season. If this might happen again it will be held against ETH.

to sum it up: I feel ETH is very vulnerable now. I would think it's very unlikely that we will challenge for the title next year. Repeating this years performance already is a huge task at hand, considering the overall level of the PL. If we buy Harry Kane and he turns out to be over the top, he might well be having a very hard time next year. Let's really really hope he can start working on the long term improvement of the team and gets some slack. I still think ETH is the best option by far regardless.

Reactions: Invictus

sepulturite

I don't understand what's wrong with playing Weghorst. He is the back up CF and our first choice CF is injury prone. So Martial plays lot of mins and Weghorst comes on to play last few mins.
It's because some posters absolutely have to moan about something even when things have gone well on a game weekend. It's like it's hardwired in at this stage.

roonster09

Scout
It's because some posters absolutely have to moan about something even when things have gone well on a game weekend. It's like it's hardwired in at this stage.
They are completely detached from reality, maybe they think back up CF shouldn't play a single min because they don't like the player.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Had we have not made top 4 when it's been like an open goal all season then I'd have been very worried about ETH being able to kick on and try and get close to City.

As it looks now it's very likely we will do it with us only needing a point and that's if Liverpool win their last game too of course.

I want to see a massive improvement with our attacking game next season though and obviously that starts with buying 1 or 2 top players who know where the goal is and their decision making is top class.

Then we might see the best of ETH.

AndySmith1990

They are completely detached from reality, maybe they think back up CF shouldn't play a single min because they don't like the player.
Or perhaps it's because they realise there's something a bit off about a club claiming to be one of the biggest in the world, resorting to bringing on a truly awful forward who doesn't score goals. It could also have something to do with watching us struggle to score more than one goal per game, because again our forward is abysmal.

Don't know, I feel like that's something worth talking about. Seems like an issue. But maybe I don't live in the same reality as you

davidmichael

My personal gripe with Weghorst when he plays is that he doesn’t end up playing up top as he was brought in to do and in the position we desperately needed back up in.

I get that playing Weghorst as an aggressive pressing 10 that disrupts the opposition worked in one game but ETH has continually tried doing it again and again with zero success and at the detriment of our best attackers seeing as Rashford is played centrally rather than on the left or Fernandes shifted out wide.

If Weghorst plays then it has to be as a pressing forward otherwise he’s pointless on the pitch, I get that Martial is built like a soft stuffed toy so injured three quarters of a season so seeing as Weghorst is here then I get we will use him but it’s on ETH when Weghorst is played in midfield or as a 10 and we lose all control in midfield from ETH trying to be too clever.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I knew Wout wasn't going to be the best addition to the team ever, but still he disapointed. I cannot understand how a Dutch national team player that scores one goal every 2 games in both Germany and Turkey is not able to score even a single goal in the PL.
For me personally ETH has done a tremendous job, for obvious reasons. People tend to forget about the expectations at the beginning of the year but to me 4th place, a trophy and improvement in team spirit is more than enough for the first year.
However, LVG advised against it because "Manchester united is not a football club": the dismal state of the technical heart of the club is going to bite ETH in the ass. As usual out of 3 transfers one will be good, one will be bad and one will be meh. People tend to remember the bad ones more. Now that ETH has had so much influence in the decision making, less successful transfers like Weghorst (just plain disappointing), Antony (just too expensive, only partially ETH's fault) and Malacia (jury is out but probaby not good enough) are attributed to him. Whereas better ones (Casemiro!) might not be linked to him.
Martinez made an excellent impression in his first season but is injured now. At the time he entered his energy and determination were very much needed. I'm not so sure he will be able to have the same impact in his second season. If this might happen again it will be held against ETH.

to sum it up: I feel ETH is very vulnerable now. I would think it's very unlikely that we will challenge for the title next year. Repeating this years performance already is a huge task at hand, considering the overall level of the PL. If we buy Harry Kane and he turns out to be over the top, he might well be having a very hard time next year. Let's really really hope he can start working on the long term improvement of the team and gets some slack. I still think ETH is the best option by far regardless.
I think if he pushes for Kane that will be on him. He’d be another bad big money signing IMO. I think ETH would be better off going more in the direction he went with Ajax, rather than compromising.

Ibrahimorich

Yeah, if he feels Wout is good for the team he will play him and if not he won't. That's the juggling I'm talking about, where did I even hint at him prioritizing Wout's happiness .... Are you dense ?
kouroux said:
ETH has been juggling between what was good for the team and playing Wout as much as possible.

The implication of what you wrote is that playing Wout is not good for the team but that ETH tries to play him as much as possible (ergo to the detriment of the team).

georgipep

Yeah, if he feels Wout is good for the team he will play him and if not he won't. That's the juggling I'm talking about, where did I even hint at him prioritizing Wout's happiness .... Are you dense ?
Now you have me questioning your understanding of words' meaning. Re-read what you wrote.

roonster09

Scout
Or perhaps it's because they realise there's something a bit off about a club claiming to be one of the biggest in the world, resorting to bringing on a truly awful forward who doesn't score goals. It could also have something to do with watching us struggle to score more than one goal per game, because again our forward is abysmal.

Don't know, I feel like that's something worth talking about. Seems like an issue. But maybe I don't live in the same reality as you
If Weghorst was starting when Martial was fit then what you said makes sense.

Martial is our starting CF, Weghorst only started when we had 0 fit CFs.

Yeah you don't live is same reality If you think Weghorst shouldn't play a single min. Maybe in your reality he is starting games regularly, it's about time you start watching live games and not past games.

roonster09

Scout
My personal gripe with Weghorst when he plays is that he doesn’t end up playing up top as he was brought in to do and in the position we desperately needed back up in.

I get that playing Weghorst as an aggressive pressing 10 that disrupts the opposition worked in one game but ETH has continually tried doing it again and again with zero success and at the detriment of our best attackers seeing as Rashford is played centrally rather than on the left or Fernandes shifted out wide.

If Weghorst plays then it has to be as a pressing forward otherwise he’s pointless on the pitch, I get that Martial is built like a soft stuffed toy so injured three quarters of a season so seeing as Weghorst is here then I get we will use him but it’s on ETH when Weghorst is played in midfield or as a 10 and we lose all control in midfield from ETH trying to be too clever.
That experiment lasted very few games. People want coaches who tries different things and also have problem with managers when they try different things.

These things can be tested on the pitch and in games. It worked few times and didn't in few games. Now he barely plays mins and I think he would have got even fewer if martial was fully fit and not injury prone, also if Rashford, Garnacho wasn't injured.

All season people complained about fatigue, we have to use the players we have.

roonster09

Scout
Yep especially with another game midweek.
If Martial was injured in this game, same people would have moaned abou EtH for not trusting his squad and running players into ground.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Wait people are still criticising this incredible manager?

His most important qualities are in his ability to cope with the ridiculous demands of being the manager of this club.

On top of this, he's clearly got the respect of his players and has that winner mentality of good not being good enough, we have to be better.

He never throws individual players under the bus, but this doesn't mean he won't say they played badly as a team. He's built a very good defence, which is the foundation of any top team and I trust him to now start improving the attacking play, assuming he's allowed to with the club sale debacle being resolved.

Absolutely love the bloke.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His signing of Wout has been integral in where we are now. I don’t think he’s good enough, but him and Sabitzer were so clever.
Agreed, forward who doesn't score goals alongside Antony who doesn't score goals either were integral in us being one of most ineffective teams in the league.

Altough, to be fair, he did special job finishing top4 with players he brought, and he's had a very good season in general, I congratulate him on that. But the way he tricks some fans into thinking that everything he does is great, is special itself too.

RedC

People are complaining in this case about taking off our striker that has the potential to score goals, and who was playing alright, in the 55th minute when we're 1-0 in a must win game, for someone that genuinely can't score a goal. In the process, completely pissing off the striker that might actually do something for us up front, when we most likely need some goals before the end of the season. I don't think it's the most outlandish complaint. Also, you don't take someone off in the 55th minute in that situation over fears of injury, that's a complete strawman.

roonster09

Scout
People are complaining in this case about taking off our striker that has the potential to score goals, and who was playing alright, in the 55th minute when we're 1-0 in a must win game, for someone that genuinely can't score a goal. In the process, completely pissing off the striker that might actually do something for us up front, when we most likely need some goals before the end of the season. I don't think it's the most outlandish complaint. Also, you don't take someone off in the 55th minute in that situation over fears of injury, that's a complete strawman.
Starwman is saying Martial was playing alright and had potential to score. He was dog shit yesterday.

There is nothing wrong in taking off a player who is playing bad and a potential injury prone player.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Agreed, forward who doesn't score goals alongside Antony who doesn't score goals either were integral in us being one of most ineffective teams in the league.

Altough, to be fair, he did special job finishing top4 with players he brought, and he's had a very good season in general, I congratulate him on that. But the way he tricks some fans into thinking that everything he does is great, is special itself too.
If we are one of the most ineffective teams - why are we 4th with a cup and in another final?

Revan

Assumptionman
Better than the player he replaced today. Better than the same player when he replaced him in our last match. Which is my point. If anything, ETH made an error in not starting him ahead of Martial today.

None of which makes WW a particularly good striker, obviously. Just better than some of our other options.
Bruno and Antony were literally avoiding passing the ball to him, especially Bruno. He hasn’t been performing better than Martial at all.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If we are one of the most ineffective teams - why are we 4th with a cup and in another final?
We’ve done aswell as we could have with what we’ve got. If we had a proper striker and a keeper that doesn’t make mistakes we’d have more points then we do now definitely

Revan

Assumptionman
If Weghorst was starting when Martial was fit then what you said makes sense.

Martial is our starting CF, Weghorst only started when we had 0 fit CFs.

Yeah you don't live is same reality If you think Weghorst shouldn't play a single min. Maybe in your reality he is starting games regularly, it's about time you start watching live games and not past games.
To be fair, he also started several games as No.10, with us having to change the positions of Bruno (and occasionally Rashford) to accommodate Weghorst. Which is fecking insane considering that Weghorst wouldn’t start matches for teams who are getting relegated.

I don’t know if it a coping mechanics, a denial before acceptance, or ‘the manager cannot do wrong’ part of the ****, but it is clear as day that ten Hag is a big fan of Weghorst and I would not be surprised at all if we sign him permanently and he is the backup striker next season. Which would be insane but at this stage we have get used to insane things that this club does.

astracrazy

I'm a bit concerned about our style of play under ETH

He's had a decent season but the vast majority of games haven't impressed entertainment wise we seem to struggle more often than not.

I want to see some better football next season there's much worse teams than us in the PL playing a better brand of football.
I think we played good football at times pre world cup. I put it down to a) not having a proper striker to aim to and involve in our play and b) no time to work on play. Playing 2-3 times a week I can't imaingen there was any time to work on patterns of play, just rest prepare for the next opponent tactically.

Its all gone Shane Long

It’s simple folks and lots like to moan here still…he’s had an overachieving season with the squad he’s got and that’s down to him and his coaching which is a good sign. We weren’t expected to get anywhere near the top 4 this season, so with that, one cup and in another final is a pretty good season from where we have come from.
Now it’s time to get a few more players in and go even higher next year playing an exciting brand of football. Get these players in early if we can and a full pre-season to work on it all.

VanGaalEra

This thread reminds me why I stopped posting on here much anymore.
Prefer visiting the football forum to laugh at rivals.

RedC

Starwman is saying Martial was playing alright and had potential to score. He was dog shit yesterday.

There is nothing wrong in taking off a player who is playing bad and a potential injury prone player.
I'm not even bothered discussing this with you if you consider Martial's performance yesterday as dog shit.

ti vu

This game Weghorst fit the game situation better. However, one could wonder why Garnacho was not given more minutes. He could have come on first for Sancho. Martial and Garnacho barely play with each other since they previously missed out due to injuries. We had a week between game now. Martial didn't look happy coming off. Perhaps he think he can afford another 10 minutes?

Similar against Wolves. Garnacho and Fred could have been the first sub. Weghorst had few decent moments in between before Fred and Garnacho came on, but we were still very vulnerable to long ball over the top. Once Wolves got the ball to our final third, we couldn't get out. Garnacho, and especially Fred sub helped us in this aspect.

Against Brighton, Weghorst sub didn't help the situation. Eriksen was unused sub. We could have done with some Eriksen composure with possesion, or some legs like Pellistri or Enlanga. Just keep Rashford up top, Sancho left, Eriksen/Pellistri/Elanaga right may have helped. Weghorst came on and we couldn't attack, or hold on to the ball further up the pitch. Then his ineffective pressing (he too slow chase the ball carrier) means that we're stretched, and the space between our lines allowed Brighton overrun us.

Weghorst started against West Ham in no 10 and had Bruno shifted around. Really not worth shifting Bruno out of his best position. Martial sub in the last 30 minutes were more threatening than Weghorst the whole game despite Martial played at his usual low intensity.

So while Weghorst starting game has been reduced, it's arguable that he still had more minutes than he should especially that questionable start against West Ham.

Jam

I made a mistake with the expression then.
Bottom of the barrel posting.

Kouroux is our own Wout, everywhere and contributes very little.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
ETH is a fan of Wout, it is so clear to see, he shifted better players than him at other positions just to play him even if it meant as a 10. No one does that for a player he doesn't appreciate particularly well. ETH has been juggling between what was good for the team and playing Wout as much as possible.
We have a threadbare attack and a squad that has been obviously knackered for months.

We had lots of good results with Wout in the team.

That's rotation, it's essential.

Eddy_JukeZ

His signing of Wout has been integral in where we are now. I don’t think he’s good enough, but him and Sabitzer were so clever.
This is how standards drop at this club.

Wout and integral don't belong in the same sentence.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Being 4th and being in cup final doesn't mean you are effective goals wise.

We have scored less goals than the likes of Fulham, Brentford and Brighton.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
This is how standards drop at this club.

Wout and integral don't belong in the same sentence.
To be fair, he also started several games as No.10, with us having to change the positions of Bruno (and occasionally Rashford) to accommodate Weghorst. Which is fecking insane considering that Weghorst wouldn’t start matches for teams who are getting relegated.

I don’t know if it a coping mechanics, a denial before acceptance, or ‘the manager cannot do wrong’ part of the ****, but it is clear as day that ten Hag is a big fan of Weghorst and I would not be surprised at all if we sign him permanently and he is the backup striker next season. Which would be insane but at this stage we have get used to insane things that this club does.
That's so obvious that there is no point in arguing with those folks.

Defending a situation in which our manager puts Wout Weghorst in Bruno's position and move Bruno out wide is one of the most ridiculous things you can read here.