Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 398 46.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 462 53.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He has certainly been backed.

Big fan of his, but he's also got to deliver this season. We need to keep progressing.

I would be disappointed come winter break time if we're nowhere near the top.
Goal must be 80+ points. If that means title challenge then great.
I have big faith in him. He has his team now, players are used to his ideas and system now and i hope he learned a lot from some of last season's meltdowns during the games (Sevilla, Liverpool, Spurs away).

Big season ahead. Tough though because expectations are high and all rivals are also stronger than last year.

JuriM

Goal must be 80+ points. If that means title challenge then great.
I have big faith in him. He has his team now, players are used to his ideas and system now and i hope he learned a lot from some of last season's meltdowns during the games (Sevilla, Liverpool, Spurs away).

Big season ahead. Tough though because expectations are high and all rivals are also stronger than last year.
We had 75 points this season, so the aim should be 84+ points.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We had 75 points this season, so the aim should be 84+ points.
I always look others too. We had excellent transfer window but our rivals had/will have good one too. It will be tough season. But yeah, IF City will have weaker season then we should go for title challenge.

Swedish_Plumber

Big season coming up with him being backed. Totally think he’s the right man for us but it’s gonna be a difficult one with Chelsea and Liverpool likely to be a lot better.

Away form has to improve too. Can’t see is getting so lucky with cup draws again :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Big season coming up with him being backed. Totally think he’s the right man for us but it’s gonna be a difficult one with Chelsea and Liverpool likely to be a lot better.

Away form has to improve too. Can’t see is getting so lucky with cup draws again :lol:
We were excellent at home last year. If we improve away form then we are in title race.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We could finish the season on 85 points and still be nowhere near the title. That’s the sort of machine we are competing with.
For me, what I want to see:
  • Advancements in our play still and far more consistent with it I want to see us dominate more games, more territory, keep the ball better and score more goals.
  • Circa 85 points season. 10 more points that last season is certainly achievable
  • QF in CL and deep runs in both cups.

JuriM

Seeing how we lost 9 games and drew 6, then finding extra 9 points from these shouldn't be that big of a stretch if we are really better now than we were last season.

Skills

Snitch
We could finish the season on 85 points and still be nowhere near the title. That’s the sort of machine we are competing with.
  • Advancements in our play still and far more consistent with it I want to see us dominate more games, more territory, keep the ball better and score more goals.
  • Circa 85 points season. 10 more points that last season is certainly achievable

We over performed in our points total last season (we got 75 points from an xPts of 66). People see that overall underperformed our XG, but we won a lot of games that the underlying numbers didn't expect us winning. So I think you're setting yourself up to be disappointed expecting 85 points.

wolvored

Yes 85 points minimum should be the target and 75+ goals in Premer now we have a decent striker.
Stop losing points to the equivalent of a West ham/Leeds teams should be the easier aim, than being bullied away by the top 6.
If we get Amrabat, that a whole new spine and strength in depth which can only improve us.
I would be happy with 3rd again, but still in a title race on game 36, as it will show progression. I dont think we are there yet to challenge City. I hope I am wrong, but Hojlund and Onana may struggle at first at the speed and how good every club can play in the Premier, compared to Italy.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We over performed in our points total last season (we got 75 points from an xPts of 66). People see that overall underperformed our XG, but we won a lot of games that the underlying numbers didn't expect us winning. So I think you're setting yourself up to be disappointed expecting 85 points.
I’m not sure I agree. Every top team wins games they should not have won. We also dropped points in games we shouldn’t have done. Especially games we had two goal cushings.
But looking apart from the XGs and just how the team is shaping up and what resources we have spent, we should be looking at an 80+ point campaign.
Whatever we achieved last season and how we achieved it, we had one of the worst strikers in the league starting for us, we had our two best CBs absent and didn’t have our first choice CM partnership for long spells.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Its good to laugh with him until he asks you to explain the joke one more time and ending the question with 'heh'. Then you know youre going to lose your job.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Seeing how we lost 9 games and drew 6, then finding extra 9 points from these shouldn't be that big of a stretch if we are really better now than we were last season.
Making sure we don't get any hammerings will help the GD as well. We dropped points away to the supposed bigger teams. We should have won the Spurs game and could have got something out of the Arsenal game.

tomaldinho1

Making sure we don't get any hammerings will help the GD as well. We dropped points away to the supposed bigger teams. We should have won the Spurs game and could have got something out of the Arsenal game.
I think the real sign we’re heading somewhere is when we look at season and the points dropped are only against the better teams (there’ll always be one freak result or two but within reason).

Last season we lost away to Brentford, Villa, WHUM - these aren’t disastrous results but the issue is they are combined with lacklustre draws against Palace, Soton and Leeds. So even without all the points we dropped against the top 6/7 teams that’s 15 points lost. We’d have won the title with that. Obviously it never works like that but let’s say you sort out 75% of those dropped points, we’re immediately in the race.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I think the real sign we’re heading somewhere is when we look at season and the points dropped are only against the better teams (there’ll always be one freak result or two but within reason).

Last season we lost away to Brentford, Villa, WHUM - these aren’t disastrous results but the issue is they are combined with lacklustre draws against Palace, Soton and Leeds. So even without all the points we dropped against the top 6/7 teams that’s 15 points lost. We’d have won the title with that. Obviously it never works like that but let’s say you sort out 75% of those dropped points, we’re immediately in the race.
Don't lose the first two matches like last season and you are well underway I reckon.

Mike Smalling

It’s pretty encouraging how we continue to address the right areas of the the squad under ETH. Each individual transfer might not be a slam dunk, but at least he is able to assess where improvement is needed and go for relevant targets.

Hope to see some real improvements to the overall play as well this year.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It’s pretty encouraging how we continue to address the right areas of the the squad under ETH. Each individual transfer might not be a slam dunk, but at least he is able to assess where improvement is needed and go for relevant targets.

Hope to see some real improvements to the overall play as well this year.
Likewise and I believe that we will improve. It is pretty much his squad now so no excuses.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Expectation levels for this season are raised. Lets see how he gets on

honirelandboy

We finally have a starting 11 that is good enough to challenge that we havn't seen since probably 2010/2011 season . How Fergie pulled off the title win in 2012/2013 season was just genius. We finally have a stable good first 11 and quality has been lacking quality in four or five positions since 2010 or so. Going forward now we only need to sign 100% world class signings that will walk into the team and might only need one superstar signing every summer instead of trying to fix four or five positions with sub par players. The progress under Ten Hag has been immense in the last two summer transfer windows and is doing a phenomenal job. Remember the days of Mcfred, Maguire, Bailey, Martial, Dan James, Telles, Darmian, Fellani, Rojo, Sanchez? We now have a solid starting 11 and only need maybe one absolute world class player going forward every Summer. Ten Hag deserves major credit. He is building something special and don't think any other manager could do the job he is doing. He is ruthless as we can see by dropping Rashford for been late, getting rid of Ronaldo who should have never been re-signed and stripping Maguire of the captaincy. Under Ole the players were lazy and he will never accept that.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Personally I wish the club shut up with all this PR and propaganda. Stfu and win trophies that will speak for itself
I disagree. I like to read about the club, how they are changing and evolving. It is not just matchday for me

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Personally I wish the club shut up with all this PR and propaganda. Stfu and win trophies that will speak for itself
I guess you arent a curious person. To get a fully informed picture of what's going on, you need to know the who, when, what, where, when, how and why. It's also about incremental differences.

If you only want to know about the silverware then you have no idea how we got there. What changes were made to improve ourselves and when this all started?

tomaldinho1

Don't lose the first two matches like last season and you are well underway I reckon.
It's ok to lose to Brighton though, they had a very good season. Ideally you start and get a great wave of momentum but the odd loss to good teams is fine, it's the silly losses that I find most impactful.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
It's ok to lose to Brighton though, they had a very good season. Ideally you start and get a great wave of momentum but the odd loss to good teams is fine, it's the silly losses that I find most impactful.
In hindsight yes but nobody thought that at the beginning of the season.

Bobski

He is going to be under pressure to get results and that is normal, these signings are a lot of money for relatively unproven (as top class performers) players but then so was Lisandro and he was a huge success. Haven't see enough of Onana or Hojlund to make any type of educated judgement.

erikcred

Relax, these sort of behind-the-scenes tidbits are interesting for many fans.

These are exciting times for our club, so just enjoy it. Or just ignore these posts if it causes you so much stress and come back when ETH is giving his post season interview about how he managed to lead us to the title. :D

Reactions: Cheimoon

Theonas

Scout
Arsenal went from 69 to 84 points within a season when their first team additions in the summer consisted of a couple of City rejects and Saliba returning from loan. City went from 78 to 100 points after adding a GK, couple of full backs that were tagged overpriced at the time and Bernardo Silva. Progress doesn't have to be linear as it's impossible to estimate the progress accumulated from a team spending a year together and individuals getting better after a year or two in the same environment. We could regress of course but if Ten Hag is doing a good job, we should definitely aim for 85+ this coming season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
TBF I think this was heavily impacted by our fixture congestion. We both had a worse impact from the world Cup than other clubs, and also played more games than other clubs with a squad that wasn't prepared for it. I think low 70s points with a normal fixture congestion is fair for us, so not far off what we ended up getting, and then with our signings I can see us pushing 80 so long as we don't have shit injury luck or make it to the final of every cup again.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
TBF I think this was heavily impacted by our fixture congestion. We both had a worse impact from the world Cup than other clubs, and also played more games than other clubs with a squad that wasn't prepared for it. I think low 70s points with a normal fixture congestion is fair for us, so not far off what we ended up getting, and then with our signings I can see us pushing 80 so long as we don't have shit injury luck or make it to the final of every cup again.
Plus EL on Thursday instead of CL on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I still remember all the preseason PR about Moyes revolutionizing the training ground with his iPads and data collection, and then LVG's attention to detail demonstrated by him having trees planted at Carrington to limit the impact of wind. I'm a bit jaded by it as well. :lol:

Cassidy

I guess you arent a curious person. To get a fully informed picture of what's going on, you need to know the who, when, what, where, when, how and why. It's also about incremental differences.

If you only want to know about the silverware then you have no idea how we got there. What changes were made to improve ourselves and when this all started?
Im curious. However when the club has done this for every manager from LVG to Jose to Ole. I am able to see through the PR

Cassidy

I still remember all the preseason PR about Moyes revolutionizing the training ground with his iPads and data collection, and then LVG's attention to detail demonstrated by him having trees planted at Carrington to limit the impact of wind. I'm a bit jaded by it as well. :lol:
Exactly this. They always do this, its always a revolution yet we have not got near a title in 10 years

Cassidy

Relax, these sort of behind-the-scenes tidbits are interesting for many fans.

These are exciting times for our club, so just enjoy it. Or just ignore these posts if it causes you so much stress and come back when ETH is giving his post season interview about how he managed to lead us to the title. :D
Im quite relaxed. Just commenting

Mas Risky

I hope he has an elite fitness coach at the level of Antonio Pintus or Giuseppe Ventrone.

Our physicality has been one of our unsolved problems in recent years.