Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

croadyman

Not sure about title contenders but there would've been significant progress in our weakest department, which is scoring goals. Whether or not Kane was feasible because of Levy, the fact that ETH prioritized the likes of Mount and Onana over an established, proven goal scorer will probably plague us again this year.
Yeah that was a diabolical decision and has already cost us 6 points by early September

criticalanalysis

Kolo Muani is not a proven goalscorer.
Funny isn't it. Ramos, Muani, Toney, Vlahovic and Hojlund are all gambles with their different profiles and styles, yet some seem to think there was some sure thing out there like Levy would be selling Kane to us.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I've said it before, it seems like he has a massive ego, and not in a good way. It's always somebody else's fault, the ref, the players, never his tactics or his subs. After any loss, he always seems pleased with himself, no matter what.
Same with the transfers. The squad has two players in every position, I'm more than happy, etc.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I've said it before, it seems like he has a massive ego, and not in a good way. It's always somebody else's fault, the ref, the players, never his tactics or his subs. After any loss, he always seems pleased with himself, no matter what.
Pretty sure he has taken responsibly for losses I seem to remember him saying at least once last season he got it wrong. He has a right to be annoyed at the refs today because he made the right subs in Garnacho and Hojlund today to affect the game for the win and he should have got a pen to win the game.

redIndianDevil

The subs cost us the game IMO. Taking off

Antony meant the right wing was useless. Antony helps us keep the ball or pressure opponents. Rashford in the right wing means no defensive support and loss of possession frequently.

I hope there was a valid reason for Lindelof being taken off. No modern CB has to subbed off for not being able the full game unless injured.

He should always sub off Rashford for Garnacho iMO. Rashford in any other position on the pitch other than the LW is a liability.

Eddy_JukeZ

The subs cost us the game IMO. Taking off

Antony meant the right wing was useless. Antony helps us keep the ball or pressure opponents. Rashford in the right wing means no defensive support and loss of possession frequently.

I hope there was a valid reason for Lindelof being taken off. No modern CB has to subbed off for not being able the full game unless injured.

He should always sub off Rashford for Garnacho iMO. Rashford in any other position on the pitch other than the LW is a liability.
Lindelof was injured.

Why would you sub off our most dangerous attacker?

The subs were working well. We had a clear pen not called and scored a goal that was offside by very thin margins and conceded an awful 2nd goal.

stoinz

He has done an alright job. Our defense is fixed. Some of our midfield is fixed. Our forwards are the one letting us down so far. Hopefully Hojlund will help improve that.

Cassidy

He has done an alright job. Our defense is fixed. Some of our midfield is fixed. Our forwards are the one letting us down so far. Hopefully Hojlund will help improve that.
Our defence is fixed?

fallengt

I think his problem is he keeps sticking to the same tactic that everyone and his dog can read it by now.
Teams are instructed not to press onana and martinez, instead they block our fbs and midfield cuz these players cant progress the ball under pressure.

Thats pretty much it and it kills 70% of his gameplan. Will ETH have the answer to it? Dont know. While hes a good coach, he's certainly no Pep Guadiola.

Cassidy

I think his problem is he keeps sticking to the same tactic that everyone and his dog can read it by now.
Teams are instructed not to press onana and martinez, instead they block our fbs and midfield cuz these players cant progress the ball under pressure.

Thats pretty much it and it kills 70% of his gameplan. Will ETH have the answer to it? Dont know. While hes a good coach, he's certainly no Pep Guadiola.
AWB can progress the ball fine. Arsenal just had a very good defensive structure as usual.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don't know if we were the better team flat out, but it was a pretty even game all things considered until we had to bring in Maguire-Evans.

Once Martinez went off, I think we struggled to inject some control that we were showing at 1 point towards the end of the half.

We missed a lot of players and lost by very thin margins. Not happy with how we lost, but I am pretty sure we'll be much better once our first XI gets a run of games in.
But it's an even game when we played above our usual and Arsenal worse than their usual. So it's not saying much

Eddy_JukeZ

But it's an even game when we played above our usual and Arsenal worse than their usual. So it's not saying much
How is it above our usual when we're missing players and Arsenal aren't missing any?

What kind of logic are you even using?

We had to resort to 4th and 5th choice center backs, while missing 3 midfielders(1 of them a first XI option) and our left back was missing. I'd love to see how Arsenal manage in a game if they had to deal with those absentees vs us.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
How is it above our usual when we're missing players and Arsenal aren't missing any?

What kind of logic are you even using?

We had to resort to 4th and 5th choice center backs, while missing 3 midfielders(1 of them a first XI option) and our left back was missing. I'd love to see how Arsenal manage in a game if they had to deal with those absentees vs us.
I'm not seeing the score line alone. Yes we've had worse than Chuckle Brothers at the back, but that was not the reason we lost.

We played so bad with no clear visible tactical approach. Arsenal too, to be fair which is why it's not their normal self. The first and second game of the season don't fare much better, we just had more balls against Forrest because they shut up shop. I don't think we'd win in an open match with them.

As for us, looking clueless and overrun by top 9 away is the norm.

We're soo way behind Arsenal and our form and table position shows. Numbers never lie

Eddy_JukeZ

I'm not seeing the score line alone. Yes we've had worse than Chuckle Brothers at the back, but that was not the reason we lost.

We played so bad with no clear visible tactical approach. Arsenal too, to be fair which is why it's not their normal self. The first and second game of the season don't fare much better, we just had more balls against Forrest because they shut up shop. I don't think we'd win in an open match with them.

As for us, looking clueless and overrun by top 9 away is the norm.

We're soo way behind Arsenal and our form and table position shows. Numbers never lie
Is that vs Forest or Arsenal?

I don't think we looked clueless today and I think our approach was fairly obvious today.

Levi1

Why are our players so injury prone? Its ridiculous. Can't remember a season when Liverpool had more than a single first team player out of the team on average. The year they won the title they had every single player available all the time. For us, its almost the exact opposite. What is it? Are our methods outdated? Is the pitch too big or training grounds too big or soft? Is it bad juju? Are the players overpaid primadonas? What???!

Oscar Bonavena

Sorry, what part of our midfield is "fixed"? The slowest, most immobile midfield in the league.

If you're talking about the signing of Amrabat on loan, we haven't seen the lad play for us yet.

And the defence is "fixed" only if you ignore the fact that 3 of the first choice back 4 are regularly crocked.

redNATION

Why are our players so injury prone? Its ridiculous. Can't remember a season when Liverpool had more than a single first team player out of the team on average. The year they won the title they had every single player available all the time. For us, its almost the exact opposite. What is it? Are our methods outdated? Is the pitch too big or training grounds too big or soft? Is it bad juju? Are the players overpaid primadonas? What???!
We’re probably still using Fergies methods because they worked for him, after all that’s what this clubs all about, stuck in the past and too cheap to find something that works.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Sorry, what part of our midfield is "fixed"? The slowest, most immobile midfield in the league.

If you're talking about the signing of Amrabat on loan, we haven't seen the lad play for us yet.

And the defence is "fixed" only if you ignore the fact that 3 of the first choice back 4 are regularly crocked.
How's the defenders being cracked on him ? His signings are Martinez and Malacia. Both are fine.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
We had a very good injury record last season, Liverpool had a shit injury record last season and in 20/21 during their 2 down years. It happens to everyone. A tiny bit worrying is that it pretty often happens to teams the season after a crazy fixture overload season, which we had last season.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Liverpool had awful injury problems last year. By October, 19 players had missed games through injury. City have KDB about for the foreseeable now.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...e-contributed-to-inconsistent-start-to-season

A lot of it is luck, eg Martinez's apparent impact injury from the tackle yesterday.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Before ETH joined us I remember him getting praised a lot and especially from McClaren saying he’s a big game manager and he comes up with specific plans and spends a lot of time going into detail. I’m yet to see these plans… every single game we’re using the same tactic. It’s not like we’ve seen under Ole or even Mourinho sometimes when we use a different tactic or specific plan to win the games.

croadyman

The top half away record is unacceptable TBH

Not saying we should sack him, before everyone jumps all over me
Yeah 0/6 and season has only just started,tell you what I wouldn't want to be in Erik's shoes considering the mounting issues both on and off the pitch. He will have a few sleepless nights before Brighton game

Stig

Before ETH joined us I remember him getting praised a lot and especially from McClaren saying he’s a big game manager and he comes up with specific plans and spends a lot of time going into detail. I’m yet to see these plans… every single game we’re using the same tactic. It’s not like we’ve seen under Ole or even Mourinho sometimes when we use a different tactic or specific plan to win the games.
Yea. 800 passes within, or within, 10 yards of our own 18 yard box isn't a great plan.

flappyjay

Yeah 0/6 and season has only just started,tell you what I wouldn't want to be in Erik's shoes considering the mounting issues both on and off the pitch. He will have a few sleepless nights before Brighton game
Its going to be a long 2 weeks.

M16Red

Yea. 800 passes within, or within, 10 yards of our own 18 yard box isn't a great plan.
We was trying to draw them out, they were very compact and trying to counter.

I know that football fans will be watching that defensive passing play and be a bit worried, because it means that we can now control or take the "sting" out of games.

The problem in the last game was the same problem we've had for a while, if the middle of the park is loaded we have to go long and then lose the ball or Rashford scores.

But the new CF looks like he can hold the ball and even play a bit

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Ole was a deceptively good big game manager outside of his final season there which turned into unmitigated disaster at all fronts. Especially away from home where we rarely got thoroughly outplayed. We had a handful of performances like PS (the second one), City where we not only won the game but outperformed a vastly superior team.

forevrared

We look like a team pretending to be a modern team more than it feels like a genuine fit. I'd have hoped to see more of a development of a true style after a full year and two pre-seasons and a boatload of cash (albeit almost exclusively spent on players he's already coached, which to me suggests they were not the best option, but the easiest). The way we approach big games away is the biggest concern. "We're Man United, we'll do what we want" couldn't be farther from reality. We'll show up and dick around and let you dictate play against us and hope we can break on you.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
More talk of why we didn't buy Kane...

I don't know how people watch yesterday's game (or any of our performances so far) and think Kane is the answer.

Spurs sold Kane and look better for it, playing far better football than us.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Maybe it’s just me but has anyone else noticed that our patterns of play have improved this season and that we don’t look at the football as like a bomb to kick away. I feel like the 6 points from 4 games are more down to fitness issues ( which is still not good enough and on ETH) more than the quality of football.
I don't know what he and his coaching staff are doing. Zero improvement.
Make your mind up mate.

adkb

I have to say, that was a good performance away from home, at a place where we have not had a lot of success.

I absolutely adore this team and can't wait for all players to be fit and raring to go.