Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 304 41.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 435 58.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Why?

Jim Radcliffe specifically mentioned this as a goal of the season.

Not so much about lining pockets which is what the Glazers cared about but if you're behind the 8 ball on FFP it impacts absolutely everything about what we can do to push the club forward.

It's pretty fundamental we do that and if we don't this season it'll be a huge blow.
It's important to qualify for the CL, yes. My point is that CL qualification should not be the sole barometer of whether a manager deserves to be kept on or not. If he's not taking us anywhere and there is no growth potential, he will be sacked.

RedRocket9908

Its probably going to be embarrasing at City next week if Erik is still in charge, it could easilly end up worse than the 7-0 at Anfield.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We've had a few games recently where our attacking has improved, so I'll wait until the end of the next game before saying that this loss today means he should go.

But I'm really scraping the barrel when it comes to thinking of positives about the team under ETH. At the start of his tenure it seemed like things were on the up, which makes it feel even worse that he might very well be another one of these false dawns at the club.

Ratcliffe is right when he says that the structure at the club doesn't help any manager, but I imagine that Ten Hag's future will be decided in the summer.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Folks... we are not qualifying for the CL this season even if it goes to 5th place. Save yourselves the bother of giving a feck.... because the players clearly don't

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Yeah.. he's
The measurement is the same as ever.
Fail to hit champions league, and you have an extra place to aim for this year, and you're gone.

He's got 3months but it's not looking good.

New owners love a new manager appointment so if we fail, so be it.
Agreed, he needs champions league footy to stick around and I don't think he'll get it.
I actually like that SJR was non-committal about him. As he said, the manager shouldn't report to the CEO or owner. The sporting director should be making the call on whether or he's fit for purpose.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
After 18 months basically my assessment is

Tactics 1/10
Transfers 2/10
Personality 0/10

Not sure what he brings to the table to continue as United manager

hobbers

Who plays RB if Dalot is at LB? You’re taking a player out of his best position to have two players in awkward roles.

Suggesting a front 3 of Garnacho, Diallo, Forson? Bruno has been tried as false 9 before and it hasn’t worked and god help ETH if he’d started McT at striker (Weghorst 2.0 comes to mind).
Lindelof can play RB. He's played there a lot during his career. He's spineless and scared of having the ball so at least play him where he's on his dominant foot. I dont think there's any other manager in club football who would look at the players we have available and land on playing Lindelof at left back. And this is the same manager who dropped Varane for months for Evans, "because Evans is a better left sided player", but not long after was picking teams with Varane at LCB and Evans at RCB.

I'd have gone with a front 3 of Rashford, McTominay, Garnacho. If it didnt work then try Diallo there.

Forson and Rashford were nothing players all day. No running, no attempts to take players on, no good link up play. Just passing it backwards or losing the ball.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Club Captain.
Our talisman.
28th minute.
In front of home fans.
Knowing we are in must wins game to achieve Champions League Football.

Imagine Vidic, Rio, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, serving us this kind of shit every week.

Remember the last minute pass from Bruno in the last game. This is who he is to our team play..

When people, ETH included will open up their eyes it will be very late.
You

Last edited:

Abraxas

It's important to qualify for the CL, yes. My point is that CL qualification should not be the sole barometer of whether a manager deserves to be kept on or not. If he's not taking us anywhere and there is no growth potential, he will be sacked.
Not a sole barometer but it's a pretty damn big one. It's probably first on the checklist heading into a season as a performance criteria which is where it would have been for the Glazers too, it's just motivations that have changed.

As fans we would prefer to see trophies but from an ownership point of view that's the first thing they'll want out of a season so we actually have the positioning in sporting and financial terms to hit the transfer windows hard. While we're a fairly poor team this is a very important goal we need to be reaching, the fact it's looking a remote possibility could be setting us back significantly. When we're any good we can forget about the top 4 trophy but currently we're a bit pants.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Absolutely got a point to prove and knows the PL plus he actually performs better when he’s not expected to win big trophies, Dortmund and rebuilding Chelsea, only Klopp and Tuchel have taken two different teams to a CL final. If he’s available now I’d take him.
I do hope that Jim will be proactive owner. I don't think that Erik is a bad coach but sometimes things don't click. Tuchel is available so it would be crazy to miss on him.

kaku06

Not only his set up and style of play is atrocious ,his post match interviews are a joke. The most delusional manager I have seen. He’s completely shameless.

tjb

I think when our fans try to break down his failures into team selections and transfers, they miss the trick. His failure is in his tactics and training. His job isn't simply to pick the team and recruit talent, it's to prepare the players for the game and send them out with clear winning instructions and the right shape to allow the team of individuals to play with enough cohesion to create chances, score goals, control the game and limit chance concessions. That's what we're actually paying him for, and he's consistently failed to deliver this in any shape or form this season. We need to stop acting like we're Aston Villa or West Ham. We are the largest football club on the planet and have spent enough money to ensure that we get the best talent and management. I should still expect for us to play better than clubs who on paper have sigificantly less talent than we do, with an understanding that lack of depth may lead to inconsistency which would stop us from challenging. Not that we play bad in every game and cling on to games where we show a little sign of knowling how to play football.As a club, we may have a 3 year rebuild in mind to get us back to the top, but it doesn't mean we wait three years to see good football or to get the best talent. 3 years may be the deadline, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to and looking to get there as soon as possible.

The way we play is the issue. We don't have attacking formulas, we struggle to get the ball into the opposition half and we don't control games. Our forwards recieve little service and our players lack the cohesion to pull off even the most basic patterns of play. Tools which even Fulham and Luton were able to display against us. As fans, we need to be honest and not simply base decisions out of anger and recent results. Can anyone say that they expect a team containing Bruno, Onana, Casemiro, Varane and Rashford get dominated like this. This season, we've had similar performances whilst also playing with Shaw, Licha, Hojlund and Garnacho. On paper, at various points, people have described all of these players as being talented. Even Dalot has played well recently. Yet as a team, they truly suck. These aren't bad players by any stretch of the imagination. AWB, Maguire, Mount and Mainoo are also not bad players. Yet people treat these players like they are bad based on their play this season under this manager. This is not a situation where he lost the dressing room and they downed tools. This is a situation where we've just been consistently bad. Yet fans find ways to blame previously proven blayers.Ten Haag iss the problem here. Not them. There's just no cohesion; both defensively and in attack. How is Bruno supposed to play the ball successfully, when our players are so wide and fluid? Where are the passing options? What's our game plan in attack? How is our midfield supposed to defend against counters when our entire team is wide and out of position? Why is Onana instructed to kick long?

People were annoyed about the way the press attacked Ten Haag. However the truth is he hasn't come under the requisite amount of pressure that he should have been facing. We've lost ten league games this year, are 8 points off 4th spot, have played terribly all year, with a goal difference of 0 after 26 games. As fans, we simply shouldn't be accepting that. The cohesion of the team comes down to the coach, no matter how much people would like to blame everyone else. Why did we sell De Gea and buy Onana, if Onana is not a presence playing out of the back?

That scenario explains the actual problem we've had in regard to structure over the last ten years. We abandoned a legend for the sake of a manager who hadn't gotten the team to play good football, on the basis that the KEEPER would be what would get us there. Similar to the Ronaldo and Maguire situation, a player was painted as the reason why we don't play good football, in an attempt to defend the manager and deflect from the fact that our play was poor. It's been a struggle to score goals this season, and our number 9's have all had issues with getting service, similar to Weghorst and Ronaldo. Our pressing is also still poor, despite the changes we made, as this was the reason Ronaldo was binned. As a club and fanbase, we turned our back on players with no evidence as a means to " support the manager" and have gotten no reward for this. A club with a good structure, like Bayern, would have questioned the validity of all these ideas. People question player power, but a manager not producing results and under pressure, will do anything to keep their job. The club would have assessed the situation, looked into the way the team was playing and made a decision on the manager in a quick enough fashion as to not derail the club. At these clubs, based on play and money spent, outside of Mourinho and Ole, none of the managers we hired would have made it past their first season. Ole would have been sacked after the 6-1 loss to Spurs in 2020. As a club, we have only taken action on players and managers once the media and fanbase have completely turned

We let De Gea go because Ten Haag, the only football mind with power made that direction. We were cold in our dealing with De Gea due to him not being wanted by Ten Haag, because we were just going along with what the manager wanted, as we put 100% trust in his idea. We bought Mount for the same reason, without a question. Yet its quite clear now that the manager isn't the brightest in terms of ideas and formulating a contingency plan. He was never good enough to treat with that much respect. So now we are in a situation where he's failing and blaming the club for it, despite having the freedom to do whatever he wanted outside of deals we couldn't complete ( due to player preference). There are people who think the failed structure is in us not getting De Jong; but the truth is the failure is actually in the lack of pressure Ten Haag received after failing to win his first two games of 2022-2023. We're too understanding, too slow to react, not cut throat enough and lack a sense of urgency for a team our size. You don't big trophies without a sense of urgency.

tjb

I disagree that we played well against West Ham.

Otherwise, agreed. It's ridiculous.
Honestly, I don't think we did either. I don't even think we played well against Everton. The only games I actually believe we were decent in were our games against palace ( league cup and league despite the loss), Nottingham Forest and the loss at Arsenal.

mintyred

Jesus fecking christ!
he’s a bigger threat to us than Klopp and Guardiola combined, fecking fraud!
If I was the reporter I would ask him to expand on this. I'm guessing he means the ownership because he can't mean on the pitch as it's ass.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Circling the drain.
The sooner the better.

Unacceptable at old trafford.

Fulham also riddled with injuries and rock up to OT and play us off the park.

If we had sacked him earlier we may have improved performance and these games would be set up with a tactical plan for the players we DO have.

Jericholyte2

Lindelof can play RB. He's played there a lot during his career. He's spineless and scared of having the ball so at least play him where he's on his dominant foot. I dont think there's any other manager in club football who would look at the players we have available and land on playing Lindelof at left back. And this is the same manager who dropped Varane for months for Evans, "because Evans is a better left sided player", but not long after was picking teams with Varane at LCB and Evans at RCB.

I'd have gone with a front 3 of Rashford, McTominay, Garnacho. If it didnt work then try Diallo there.

Forson and Rashford were nothing players all day. No running, no attempts to take players on, no good link up play. Just passing it backwards or losing the ball.
Does Lindelof’s improvement at RB over LB then justify the weaker Dalot at LB? Surely having one player out of position is better than two.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I don't understand why we're the only club in the Premier League that doesn't have a plan.

We're just rubbish and we're entirely reliant on moments, even when all of our players are fit and in form.

LVG was the only one where you could actually see what he was trying to do.

Even the lower table teams cope and play the same way when they have players out. We do in a sense but only because it doesn't really matter as nobody seems to have a clue what they're doing.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
United are playing one game a week at this point and yet every game we seem like we are huffing & puffing all game. Unfortunately in modern football you need either great coaching to keep the ball or top level fitness. We have neither and it’s on him

Dannn411

Club Captain.
Our talisman.
28th minute.
In front of home fans.
Knowing we are in must wins game to achieve Champions League Football.

Imagine Vidic, Rio, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, serving us this kind of shit every week.

Remember the last minute pass from Bruno in the last game. This is who he is to our team play..

When people, ETH included will open up their eyes it will be very late.
You

The manager who marginalizes Bruno, Rashford, Antony, Maguire, Mctominay and Casemiro all at the same time is the manager who will make the first meaningful progress in the post-Fergie era. They have become major major stumbling blocks to any kind of progress in this team like Fellaini and Ashley Young used to be. With them still playing key roles in the team there is no chance of making any meaningful progress. We must move on from all 6 of them for the club to move forward.

KjaAnd

Every team loses games. However, good teams with good managers never look completely clueless which is what we do most of the time. I don't know where to start because there are so many issues with EtH's coaching but it's quite obvious there's something way more fundamental at play than just injuries.

We press high with our forwards and play a low block with our defenders at the same time, thereby leaving two of the slowest CM's/DM's in history (Casemiro and Mainoo) to cover vast areas.

The players don't have a clue how to set up an attack. I'm sure there are some principles about the FB's tucking in, attracting pressure and what not but most of the time, what we do on the ball looks completely random.

Most of his signings have been awful and he has failed to address some of the most urgent needs in the squad.

His team selections are downright bizarre. Rashford has been okay on the left recently, and Garnacho looked good on the right. Why not let them continue with what has been working? We could have played McT instead of Højlund. Or even had Bruno as a false 9.

Munkehboi

I've stuck with him since day one and backed him...until now. He's had close to two seasons with us now and we have gone backwards. Even if we wearnt challenging for the title but progressing slowly, I would've accepted a slow rebuild but everything that's happening on the pitch is going backwards.

For me, hes got the job until the end of the season but I'm really hoping SJR has a replacement lined up after the our final game.