Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 431 48.3%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 462 51.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Valencia Shin Crosses

I don’t think it’s so obvious. We see the build up and the patterns of play—notwithstanding all the unforced errors—until we get to the final 3rd. And we’ve seen our press succeed at a high level albeit erratically due to weak links. This says to me that with the right players we’d be much more competitive.
Those unforced errors are in part due to needing to execute 5 perfect first time pings to break a press out of the back in the manner that we try it. And no we’ve never seen our press work, as I don’t consider winning the ball back a couple of times in the opponents final third “working” when they break the press with ease the rest of the match and get another 20+ shots off. No players are going to make either one of those issues fixed fully I don’t care who you have.

croadyman

Should be sacked immediately. But no, we like it better to diddle our thumbs while it all burns down. Really hoped INEOS would be proactive in this regard, but alas.. I mean when will we realize that sacking a non perfomer is done in all jobs all across the world. It's not a crime. Jesus.
They won't do anything until all of the people are in place which could take a while yet

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Does he even want to play proactive and attacking football. He kind of dodged that question when asked after the game how far he thought we was from coming to the etihad and playing that way. He started going on about you can be proactive in defending… was all about defending!

Eddy_JukeZ

I will celebrate when he gets sacked.

I truly hope our next manager has intentions to actually dominate the ball + field vs the top teams.

This cowardice football from our managers post-SAF(besides Van Gaal) is infuriating to watch.

I don’t think it’s so obvious. We see the build up and the patterns of play—notwithstanding all the unforced errors—until we get to the final 3rd. And we’ve seen our press succeed at a high level albeit erratically due to weak links. This says to me that with the right players we’d be much more competitive.
He’s bought 8 players for a combined 450m euros. On top of that he’s been able to add two really talented youngsters to his side.
If he still can’t manage to get his side maintain any control of the football & can only manage 26% possession at City after 2 years, 10 players and 450 mil, he’s almost certainly not gonna manage it with a couple more additions. He’s failing, badly!

i’m certain we are the only club who make this mistake with every single manager and demand that they must be able to buy an entire new squad of players before we can judge them, and even after they have bought an entire first 11 we still get fans claiming they need even more before judgement can come.

He’s been given enough time, funds and enough players to have shaped this team by now into something that closely resembles what he wishes to achieve.

Last edited:

croadyman

I truly hope our next manager has intentions to actually dominate the ball + field vs the top teams.

This cowardice football from our managers post-SAF(besides Van Gaal) is infuriating to watch.
Who is on your shortlist to replace him

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

If we're better or on par with them at it, yeah.
Otherwise that's just silly, instead of exploiting their weakness while playing carefully, you are competing for a losing battle. Even Sir Alex used to play pragmatically against teams that were better than us when it comes into possession. And he won more often than not.
Not saying I agree with what Ten Hag chose to do vs City though. Far from it.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Presently we need to stop the turd football which we play. Any interim with a sole focus on attacking football will be fine. And I think we all know that many big managers are available at this point. If we have to finalize one for the summer, then why not now?

forevrared

More and more convinced he’s got absolutely nothing going for him. He’s been dealt a shit hand with the injuries this year but he’s responded to it like a coward. Not the mentality of a United coach and he’s got the charisma of a plank of wood to go along with it. In-game management is bizarre. Substitutions that more often aid the opposition than United, if they’re made at all.

Shit signings to suit a vision that still has yet to materialize almost 2 seasons in. Antony is the worst player to have been given a this much of a chance in our history. He’s comfortably worse than both Elanga and Dan James, and Ten Hag pushed to the point we spent €100m on him. Absolutely insane. Hojlund could well be the only player that becomes a significant part of our future and of course he’s one of the only ones that wasn’t one of Ten Hag’s former players.

Just about the only reason not to sack him at this point is that it’d cost too much and starting over again with a squad again filled with dead wood would be a big task and there’s no obvious replacement available for the job. That’s depressing.

croadyman

Presently we need to stop the turd football which we play. Any interim with a sole focus on attacking football will be fine. And I think we all know that many big managers are available at this point. If we have to finalize one for the summer, then why not now?
Absolutely certain we won't go down the interim route. I think the trouble is many of the permanent ones aren't available until the summer. Someone I definitely don't want is Potter because can't handle a big club. Chelsea told me that no matter the manic setup he was working under

Eddy_JukeZ

There's loads of managers who are better than him.

The question is finding 1 who has the ability to compete with Pep over a league season.

That won't be easy. I think Alonso, Nagelsmann, Flick and Inzaghi are all interesting choices in their own way. I like De Zerbi, but it'd be a risk. The others have a more proven pedigree in challenging for league titles.

croadyman

There's loads of managers who are better than him.

The question is finding 1 who has the ability to compete with Pep over a league season.

That won't be easy. I think Alonso, Nagelsmann, Flick and Inzaghi are all interesting choices in their own way. I like De Zerbi, but it'd be a risk. The others have a more proven pedigree in challenging for league titles.
Yeah would also throw Amorim in there too

Jaap

This.
How can anyone be content with the way we played yesterday. Even with all these injuries, I have seen lesser sides play more attacking than we did. On another day, we ship six or seven here. It was Anfield all over, imo. No progress.

Last edited:

croadyman

More and more convinced he’s got absolutely nothing going for him. He’s been dealt a shit hand with the injuries this year but he’s responded to it like a coward. Not the mentality of a United coach and he’s got the charisma of a plank of wood to go along with it. In-game management is bizarre. Substitutions that more often aid the opposition than United, if they’re made at all.

Shit signings to suit a vision that still has yet to materialize almost 2 seasons in. Antony is the worst player to have been given a this much of a chance in our history. He’s comfortably worse than both Elanga and Dan James, and Ten Hag pushed to the point we spent €100m on him. Absolutely insane. Hojlund could well be the only player that becomes a significant part of our future and of course he’s one of the only ones that wasn’t one of Ten Hag’s former players.

Just about the only reason not to sack him at this point is that it’d cost too much and starting over again with a squad again filled with dead wood would be a big task and there’s no obvious replacement available for the job. That’s depressing.
Think it's more of a case that there isn't replacements available at the moment,we shouldn't be using cost as an excuse to keep him

Son

Totally agree with this. Although under Jose and Ole we could at least get results against anyone. ETH is so out of his depth when it comes to actual top level competition.

He’s okay when you can face smaller opponents each week - although not as good as Mourinho was at that. Jose would scrap results against City if needed too.

Now we don’t even attack when pressed back… It’s just so embarrassing for our club or any big club with pride.

He surely can’t survive the summer. We haven’t seen any of the attacking football he was supposed to bring 2 years into the “project”.

Son

Potter, Tuchel, De Zerbi, Inzaghi, Emery… there are plenty who could and would do a better job.

Half would at least play more forward thinking football and the others like Tuchel and Emery are just better managers if you want a trophy or two.

Gordon Godot

What has change
Totally agree with this. Although under Jose and Ole we could at least get results against anyone. ETH is so out of his depth when it comes to actual top level competition.

He’s okay when you can face smaller opponents each week - although not as good as Mourinho was at that. Jose would scrap results against City if needed too.

Now we don’t even attack when pressed back… It’s just so embarrassing for our club or any big club with pride.

He surely can’t survive the summer. We haven’t seen any of the attacking football he was supposed to bring 2 years into the “project”.
What has actually changed 18 months in. Same tactics as FA Cup final, lump it long as we cant play out. Rashford still really poor despite the goal, Bruno had a better game and Onana did perform well. But we looked leggy, are we overtrained? Something is going wrong in training with so many injurues. As others have said we look under coached. As for the subs, I know the options are limited but it was woeful. Especually Forson, dont see it and why are both he and Antony getting minutes ahead of Anand. I really dont know if Anand is good enough but he played first team football in a tough league and looked good. ETH refused to loan him out and now lets him rot on the bench when out squad is so stretched. Amrabat he chased all summer and is woeful, and he wont even start him in a match where we needed midfield solidity. He is an awful judge of a player and at this pount is completely lost. So tired of the fan boys posting about Ajax or Champions leauge run. You think Mount changes anythign out there? Maybe Martinez and Shaw but we had ETH's first choice midfield and 2 of his 3 forwards and we are still awful.

daba

People are going to state that we’ve got an injury stricken squad and any manager would struggle with the quality we have at our disposal. But a manager who can’t get a tune from anyone but their first 11 shouldn’t be a manager for Manutd. If the players aren’t motivated then the manager too has to take the blame and face the sack.

I’m quite surprised ETH is still around.
For a long time I was giving ETH the benefit of the doubt regarding the injury situation. But the fact that we have no coherent style after spending £400m and even when his best XI is fit - this is what concerns me. He’s been saying we need to patient and wait for injured players to return, which granted had a positive impact as you would hope but still there’s no clear style to his team after nearly two seasons even with his best team out.

He may argue that he doesn’t have the right tools to implement the style he wants but he’s had 3 windows and £400m spent. Admittedly with a poor structure above and around him but the fact that he sanctioned £85m on Antony, agreed to £70m on Casemiro despite him not being a good age profile and lacking in the skill set he wants for his system, £55m on Mount who when he played earlier in the season nobody could see why we signed him. ETH supposedly had a say on transfers, so he can complain about not having the players to play a more dominating brand of football like in his Ajax days or having a budget for a back up striker, but he has had ample budget and time to mould the squad to do so.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
3rd in 2005 I think. Ten Hag did at least manage that last season.
2nd with 83 points in the season where we got eliminated in CL groups. Playing a midfield of O’Shea and Giggs for majority of second half of that season. Lost just 5 league games all season and went on an amazing run following our CL exit which actually carried into the following season when we won the league.

To even think ETH and SAF are comparable is a travesty.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The 13 mile run is going to be remembered like the Rogers letters at Liverpool, extreme cring
I know many still have that moment as one of the greatest managerial moments in the history of our club but for me it was the first flag. It just doesn’t feel like something that’d ever work long term with a group of senior players.

Marwood

Our injuries are a big reason why we aren't further down that road, we've demonstrated this season that we can be very comfortable on the ball with our key players in place.

The suboptimal transfers are on the previous regime as much as Ten Hag, we were relying almost entirely on him to identify targets. That's one of the things I'm most hopeful for with the new regime, that will have people dedicated to finding players who fit the profile we need, using data.
We're comfortable at the back when everybody's fit.

But we're definitely not comfortable in the opposition half.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I think these people were broken all along.

There's probably a case for some social research on our fanbase - I have a feeling, that we probably have an unusually large number of people from single parent families that latched onto the club/SAF as a way of filling that paternal hole in their life.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well this post is a Tory cnut for sure.

ColvaleGoa

EtH will start next year as the manager. INEOS know what a shambles this season has been. They will give EtH a chance to work under a proper structure. The very thing SJR has said that didn't help previous managers.

He will have until Christmas to sink or save himself . The recruitment this summer Will be the key.

Also right now with FFP etc, you don't want a new manager to start with one hand tied behind their back. That's why they will stick with EtH

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Some of you really need a reality check. This is a top 6, a top 8 side, not a top 4 squad. Maybe I should say it better: this current Manchester United is not a top 4 club in a lot of ways.

Up and until the 50th minute Ten Hag was hailed a hero. Not a pin drop in this thread. No pundits crying how he has lost the plot. In fact, I heard the tv commentator say "this ball stealing city, overstepping the midfield the way united is doing is the right way to play this City team." SAF himself was'nt averse in digging in either. Please have some perspective.

Reactions: BenitoSTARR

Eddy_JukeZ

I get the feeling but we really shouldn't.
I'm obviously exaggerating, but we all know he's not going to succeed here.

It'll be a renewed sense of hope once he does get sacked.

And he'll get compensation either way. He's getting paid money for failing at his job.

E-mal

Some of you really need a reality check. This is a top 6, a top 8 side, not a top 4 squad. Maybe I should say it better: this current Manchester United is not a top 4 club in a lot of ways.

Up and until the 50th minute Ten Hag was hailed a hero. Not a pin drop in this thread. No pundits crying how he has lost the plot. In fact, I heard the tv commentator say "this ball stealing city, overstepping the midfield the way united is doing is the right way to play this City team." SAF himself was'nt averse in digging in either. Please have some perspective.
That was dog shite performance even for the first 50 min. Chelsea competed better.
This man is not the right manager and lots of evidence are available to show that if you care to see it. The players are not it either but guess what? He has spent 400m to bring these players in, so he should be as responsible as the guys above who have begun to pay with their jobs.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yes, but just because ETH was supposed to be this or that, it doesn't suddenly make Ole's tenure good.

Unfortunately that's what's happened with us every single time: a manager starts to fail badly after maybe showing some promise; people start saying that the previous manager was better; but then it goes too far, the revisionism starts and people genuinely try to make out that maybe the previous manager was actually pretty decent. That's when it gets ridiculous.

The problem with judging worst to least worst is that it's very much subjective and each list will have variations. Its a sad state of affairs that after ten years and multiple managers, we don't actually have one that stands out as being successful. ETH has been a massive disappointment, but that doesn't mean that anyone before him should be painted in a better light. Plenty of managers fail after massive hype, it is what it is. Let's hope now that we've gotten our house in order, things will start to look better. I very much doubt that ETH will be here next season.
Oh, yeah, I don't disagree at all. When I - or others - say so-and-so was a better manager for us than Erik, I'm not excusing their poor tenures here. More highlighting how bad Erik's been. I agree that those who use his poor tenure as a reason to prop up a previous managers tenure here (like that recent thread of José returning after being sacked from Roma) are forgetting how bad it became under each and every one of them.

When you look at all of their careers after being sacked here, I don't think we made a mistake on any of them, and I think it will be the case with ten Hag, too.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

That was dog shite performance even for the first 50 min. Chelsea competed better.
This man is not the right manager and lots of evidence are available to show that if you care to see it. The players are not it either but guess what? He has spent 400m to bring these players in, so he should be as responsible as the guys above who have begun to pay with their jobs.
Bullshit. For week, months we read here how Ten Hag doesnt know how to make us defend. Many others pointed out you can but then you cant attack no more. Its either this or that with this limited group of players.

Yesterday first half was a masterclass defending vs the best team in the world, the current PL champions, the CL champions. It even brought out a fantastic display of the much criticised Onana. It's like you don't want to see the good sides or something.

SSSSnake

You can feel the pressure closing in on him now. We’ll be out of the FA cup shortly no doubt and finishing in top four is a pipe dream. We look so clueless every game.

erikcred

Bullshit. For week, months we read here how Ten Hag doesnt know how to make us defend. Many others pointed out you can but then you cant attack no more. Its either this or that with this limited group of players.

Yesterday first half was a masterclass defending vs the best team in the world, the current PL champions, the CL champions. It even brought out a fantastic display of the much criticised Onana. It's like you don't want to see the good sides or something.
There's being positive and there's being delusional.

Abhinav

Even if we take your word for it and say we were competitive till the 50th minute (which I dont think we were after 35 minutes), ceding territory & control 40+ minutes without any counterattacking threat is suicide against this City team. They are too good to play a ‘we will defend with XI and hope they don’t score’ game.

Jev

The critics might be going overboard but so are you. Masterclass? In the first 45 they had an xG of 2,99 and missed one of the biggest chances of the season and a one-on-one. We did okay but they still could have easily scored three in one half against a team that could sit on a lead.

Hoboman

It must be one or the other.

Matt851

On the talk of the devils podcast they were taking about our injury numbers. We have played 25 different back 4 combinations in 38 matches so far. Hard to get a team to play well with that level of disruption.

I have hesitated to post this cuz I don't want to be jumped upon saying how can you want ETH to still continue etc...me posting this does not mean I want him to continue. I just recognize some of the circumstances of why he/ team is underperforming, while recognizing how he is contributing to some of our issues.
Injuries have contributed to our dusfunction at the back but cant be blamed for our complete lack of style in possession.

I would also suggest that martinez and Shaw both seemed to have their condition managed fairly poorly on their returns from injury that might have contributed to them getting injured again

Also, the laughable transfer dealings bave led to the point where we are completely reliant on top injury prone players at the back to progress the ball up the pitch..

I listen to talk of the devils podcast sometimes but find it a hard listen sometimes given they are clearly reluctant to criticise the club as a result of the access they get

Last edited:

E-mal

There are no good sides here mate, fecking spurs went their with no center backs and competed as did Chelsea.
What masterclass performance? Every half decent manager has put up that performance except they showed better resolve in possession than we did.
Fecking Newcastle, Bournemouth and Everton showed more in their loss. We got a goal from an xG of 0.26, shows how bad we were in that game.
As a united fan I am fed up with not trying to give city a game. Liverpool and Arsenal does it and we have spent and pay more in wages than them.
Both the players and manager are just not good enough. Bring the whole house down and start afresh.

AndySmith1990

You say we're a top 8 team as if Ten Hag is in no way responsible for that

Sweet Square

I like the guy but this is getting silly

Stats -

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It was the right plan but it was too deep as the game went on. I didn't like his subs and I didn't like his post match interview.