Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 587 54.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 486 45.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

stevoc

I feel during the last month I have slowly become more fixed on the idea that we need to move him on. The high of the FA Cup game vs Liverpool feels like decades ago with the results and performance that has since followed.

With that being said, I have voted to give him another season - simply based on the fact that we seem to be linked with Potter and Southgate mostly to replace him. For that reason, I feel I'd prefer to give him another season.

I just don't see who replaces him who is available and less of a risk than simply giving Ten Hagg another season.

I keep saying it but the idea that no managers are available is silly. With the salary United offer almost all managers are available.

How do you think Chelsea are never short of options to take over when they sack their manager?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I keep saying it but the idea that no managers are available is silly. With the salary United offer almost all managers are available.

How do you think Chelsea are never short of options to take over when they sack their manager?
Who would you go for? Realistically someone who would leave their current situation at their club to join us that you feel would be an upgrade?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I've just realised who Ten Hag reminds me of; an electrician.

Think about it. Your bath isn't turning cold water into hot water, so naturally you add a second sparking wire into the bath thinking that'll solve the issue. But, nope, the water is still cold. Not even a couple of toasters lobbed in make a difference!

So you call up your friend Woodward and you saw "yo dog ma bath water cold as feck" and he's all like "let me just stop popping Malteasers up Joel Glazer's bum for five minutes and call an electrician for you." So the electrician comes along and, can you believe it? It's a fecking boiler repair guy. How the feck is a boiler guy going to help you? You need someone who will help you lob more live electrical goods into your bath to heat up the cold water.

You start screaming at this useless engineer who tells you that not only is your boiler completely busted, but it's been leaking carbon monoxide into your house for two days straight. And then he has the audacity to ask if you'll put your trousers back on. fecking nightmare.

frostbite

Think about it. Your bath isn't turning cold water into hot water, so naturally you add a second sparking wire into the bath thinking that'll solve the issue. But, nope, the water is still cold. Not even a couple of toasters lobbed in make a difference!

So you call up your friend Woodward and you saw "yo dog ma bath water cold as feck" and he's all like "let me just stop popping Malteasers up Joel Glazer's bum for five minutes and call an electrician for you." So the electrician comes along and, can you believe it? It's a fecking boiler repair guy. How the feck is a boiler guy going to help you? You need someone who will help you lob more live electrical goods into your bath to heat up the cold water.

You start screaming at this useless engineer who tells you that not only is your boiler completely busted, but it's been leaking carbon monoxide into your house for two days straight. And then he has the audacity to ask if you'll put your trousers back on. fecking nightmare.
You need to somehow add 400 million to the story!

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

rimaldo is that you?

stevoc

Who would you go for? Realistically someone who would leave their current situation at their club to join us that you feel would be an upgrade?
Anyone who has shown a history of successfully implementing the type of football Ineos want us to play. Top league experience, a record of winning multiple trophies and Champions League experience would also be preferable but I imagine not essential for Ineos.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Anyone who has shown a history of successfully implementing the type of football Ineos want us to play. Top league experience, a record of winning multiple trophies and Champions League experience would also be preferable but I imagine not essential for Ineos.
Sounds wonderful, but I'll ask again - who?

SER19

Ten Hag?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
He made sense as a hire at the time. Another question would be, if ten Hag had had this season at any other club, would anyone want us to hire him?

SER19

Dutch league isn't a top league.
He said top league experience, a record of winning multiple trophies. Ten Hag has 2 years PL experience. Im being semi-serious of course, my point is that the list of trendy managers that plenty of fans have wanted us to have is actually embarrassing to think of now. Where is Leonardo Jardim anyway?

Laurencio

So Luis Enrique it is.

mu4c_20le

He said top league experience, a record of winning multiple trophies. Ten Hag has 2 years PL experience. Im being semi-serious of course, my point is that the list of trendy managers that plenty of fans have wanted us to have is actually embarrassing to think of now. Where is Leonardo Jardim anyway?
More embarrassing than this season?

stevoc

Sounds wonderful, but I'll ask again - who?
What type of football do the new footballing structure want to implement? What will their criteria for drawing up a shortlist be?

I assume you don't know, me neither. But if/when that happens. All but a select few coaches at other top clubs will be options.

BorisManUtd

It won't happen, but if we win last 5 in league and beat City in the final, would you keep him?
For what it's worth, if anyone replaces Hag it won't be Potter since it's now being reported that he is on the verge of signing for Ajax.
Didn't he reject them?

SER19

More embarrassing than this season?
They arent really comparable things, but yeah, a mild clamour for Eddie Howe to take over was pretty embarrassing.

No they'd need to be able to successfully implement a cohesive style of football in less than 2-3 years. That rules Erik out.
you changed your post from 3-5 before I could reply. I sense your convictions arent as strong as you suggest.

mu4c_20le

They arent really comparable things, but yeah, a mild clamour for Eddie Howe to take over was pretty embarrassing.
:lol: point taken. Though he did seem to overachieve last season, it seems he's hit a ceiling.

stevoc

you changed your post from 3-5 before I could reply. I sense your convictions arent as strong as you suggest.
I thought 3-5 was too harsh. Given 5 years and another billion to spend Ten Hag probably would get us playing some sort of structured football eventually.

Alpha 1

For anyone still defending Ten Hag, just look at the expected points table. We are very lucky to be 6th, that is how bad it has been.

SER19

:lol: point taken. Though he did seem to overachieve last season, it seems he's hit a ceiling.
There were worse than Howe too, I saw a list, I think on here before. We've to be very careful with appointments. De Zerbi for example could be great, or an utter disaster. Any attitude that 'anybody would be better than this' is a foolish approach. Its a) not true, and b) leads to a lower standard being applied. Either we get the very best we can or we ride it out.

SER19

I thought 3-5 was too harsh. Given 5 years and another billion to spend Ten Hag probably would get us playing some sort of structured football eventually.
I thought we looked good for a long spell last year. Actively enjoyed watching us and looked forward to us playing. For example, I knew for sure we'd beat a very good newcastle in the cup final. I expected us to win games. Ive no idea how weve fallen off so much. The best I can think of is a combination of a mismatched defence, with a decline from casemiro that was far steeper than anybody anticipated, and the gamble on rashford maintaining scoring form being a foolish one.

stevoc

I thought we looked good for a long spell last year. Actively enjoyed watching us and looked forward to us playing. For example, I knew for sure we'd beat a very good newcastle in the cup final. I expected us to win games. Ive no idea how weve fallen off so much. The best I can think of is a combination of a mismatched defence, with a decline from casemiro that was far steeper than anybody anticipated, and the gamble on rashford maintaining scoring form being a foolish one.
We did but the longer Ten Hag's been here the worse the football and the results have gotten. And this goes back to last March, perfromances and results since then have been average to awful.

SER19

We did but the longer Ten Hag's been here the worse the football and the results have gotten. And this goes back to last March, perfromances and results since then have been average to awful.
Yeah people point to the liverpool battering as the turning point, but even after that in the league we played 13, won 8, drew 2 and lost 3 - with 7 clean sheets and we kept going in the cup to the final.

I don't know. The things ive mentioned above account for some, but not all of how bad weve been. Ten Hags best arguments for staying are a)last season had some promise, b) the emergence of mainoo, garnacho and hojlund, and c)the lack of a standout candidate.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ye the performances dropped after we won the caraboa cup. This season he hasn’t been helped though by injuries.

Laurencio

I think PSG are trying to extend him and Xavi's decision to stay should make it easier.
Hey if we piss off the Qataris ny poaching Enrique, the Saudis might be happy to let Ashworth go.

Yeah people point to the liverpool battering as the turning point, but even after that in the league we played 13, won 8, drew 2 and lost 3 - with 7 clean sheets and we kept going in the cup to the final.

I don't know. The things ive mentioned above account for some, but not all of how bad weve been. Ten Hags best arguments for staying are a)last season had some promise, b) the emergence of mainoo, garnacho and hojlund, and c)the lack of a standout candidate.
One thing I worry about with keeping Ten Hag - aside from the whole manager performance issue - is that I don't see how you keep Ten Hag without extending his contract. He can't effectively manage the team without a sign of comittment. It would be madness to extend it after what we've seen this season.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He absurdly lost his ability to make tactical adjustments, counters and effective substitutions this season. It started with de Zerbi figuring out his high press in 10 minutes, followed by Postecoglu doing the same thing. Even the Coventry manager ran circles around him in the cup game.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He absurdly lost his ability to make tactical adjustments, counters and effective substitutions this season. It started with de Zerbi figuring out his high press in 10 minutes, followed by Postecoglu doing the same thing. Even the Coventry manager ran circles around him in the cup game.

Or, before the season even kicked off and a fair amount of posters stated that this was a disaster waiting to happen. There’s nothing to figure out; it’s fundamentally flawed.

RedDevil@84

is that I don't see how you keep Ten Hag without extending his contract. He can't effectively manage the team without a sign of comittment. It would be madness to extend it after what we've seen this season.
Why?
He has a contract till 2025 with a possible plus year if things go well.

That should be enough motivation to do his job effectively. Even if we are going to announce that he will leave his job at the end of 2025, he still has to do a good job, if he wants to land a good club after he leaves.

stevoc

I felt we were running on fumes even before the cup final, we were grinding out results which was promising. After the Cup final the perfromances went down the shitter, at the time I put it down to too many games, the World Cup mid-season, injuries to key players like Martinez and Eriksen. But we've basically carried that form on into this season, again some of that is down to injuries but it can't explain the perfromances and the playing style.

Of those 3 only B get's him some credit with me.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I think he meant a manager that has done well in a top league, not a manager that has spent 410 million and is 7th and is braking one negative record after another in a top league, mind you.
What about Jardim? I don't remember us wanting him, he's always been a bit rubbish. He has achieved about as much as ETH has, good in mediocre league and one good CL run.

Last edited:

Laurencio

Why?
He has a contract till 2025 with a possible plus year if things go well.

That should be enough motivation to do his job effectively. Even if we are going to announce that he will leave his job at the end of 2025, he still has to do a good job, if he wants to land a good club after he leaves.
He can't manage the team if his contract expires in 2025. Every game will be treated as a "test" by the media. There will be constant questions about it. Players will become uncertain whether or not he will be staying, and he loses some of his authority. Players we sign will know that it is fairly likely that the boss they sign for, won't actually be the boss next season. The discussion will be "Ten Hag's final chance", not "The new INEOS project". It's a disaster waiting to happen.

spwd

No one. It's the club and the new technical directors that should do it, Ashworth and Wilcox.
Yes I know that. I was expecting him to say Rashford Anthony etc which is never going to happen if it was up to this pillock.

santeria13

Sublemon
Maybe but his mistakes will be long gone if he stays on this summer. Not saying that he should or shouldn’t be but we have people in place now that will sign players to fit a certain style. No more signing his favourites.
I keep seeing people talk as if the signings are his biggest shortcoming but IMO the worst part about his tenure here is how unbelievably bad we play in most of our games, after almost two years of coaching these players. We get completely outplayed home and away in 9/10 games both in the league and CL. Also, under what other manager has the standard and expectation dropped to such a low point that a good portion of the fanbase was genuinely worried that we would be outplayed and beaten by a mid-table championship team?