Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So Ole had an operating structure that helped him but eth didn't? How does this work?
Ten Hag joined and the global scouts were sacked, the CEO was checked out, we had Will Keane's brother negotiating deals, etc.

Both had shit structures given it was Glazers, but Ole had more windows and effectively a better shake

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
True.

And it is not a second rate trophy. A second rate trophy are Europa and FA Cup.

It is a third rate trophy, same as Conference League.
It's listed as a major trophy. I agree its behind the FA Cup, PL and Champions League though.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
OK my friend I should not have been rude in my tone so I retract that. But my point is Ole can't really be given 2 cups hypothetically just because he faced City, when he had form for exiting to beatable teams nonetheless.

I am, because Ten Hag got the job done. Even when Ole would beat say, Liverpool, he'd go on to lose to Leicester (or was it Wolves) later on. I can't really remember the exact route but not all of Ole's cup exits were to Manchester City.
Leicester won the cup when they beat us. They weren’t minnows.

Wolves also very good that year they eliminated us. Finished higher than we currently are. Also not minnows.

Revan

Assumptionman
We need 4pts in 3games to *not* have that scenario, but yeah OK.
We have 7 points in the last 6 matches mate. The remaining four matches are against Palace away (whom beat us at home), against Arsenal who are so much better, against Newcastle who have won 2 and draw 1 against EtH, and against Brighton whom defeated us in all three matches with EtH in charge.

But even if this happens and we had our worst ever season, you’ll still be worshipping him. Right?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Leicester won the cup when they beat us. They weren’t minnows.

Wolves also very good that year they eliminated us. Finished higher than we currently are. Also not minnows.
I didn't say they were minnows, you don't win cups by only beating minnows on the way. Even Ten Hag had to face an in form Brighton or a Newcastle side that went on for a CL finish.

Point being, these teams were beatable, and Ole didn't beat them. Ten Hag got his job done.

mu4c_20le

Here we go again... bigging up the league cup win in one of the easiest runs ever

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
We have 7 points in the last 6 matches mate. The remaining four matches are against Palace away (whom beat us at home), against Arsenal who are so much better, against Newcastle who have won 2 and draw 1 against EtH, and against Brighton whom defeated us in all three matches with EtH in charge.

But even if this happens and we had our worst ever season, you’ll still be worshipping him. Right?
I've tried to be respectable with you but you're seriously deluded if you think someone worshipping Ten Hag just because he's better than Ole as a manager :lol:
fecking hell

Revan

Assumptionman
Someone here literally claimed that if we win FA cup we have a better season than pool! Just figure how ridiculous the standard and metric some have.
We had people here last year who were claiming that we had a better season than Arsenal, cause the history books remember only the trophies.

It was pathetic.

Revan

Assumptionman
I've tried to be respectable with you but you're seriously deluded if you think someone worshipping Ten Hag just because he's better than Ole as a manager :lol:
fecking hell
I do not care whom out of those two is the better manager. Both of them have been terrible managers for us.

You are the one who act like EtH is your family.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
There's a huge recency bias when it comes to evaluating Ten Hag (and most coaches it seems). One admittedly very bad season doesn't make someone outright a bad coach
What makes him a good coach. Keep in mind, we've established seasons in small leagues don't count.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I do not care whom out of those two is the better manager. Both of them have been terrible managers for us.
Great, but our sub debate had them two as a basis for comparison, so I'm just sticking to what we were talking about.
You are the one who act like EtH is your family.
How so? You're exaggerating a bit unnecessarily. My stance on Ten Hag has been stated before but for your information, I'm more indifferent about his sack at this stage.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You have it wrong. Achievements count, experience doesn’t.
I mean at this stage its clear you just struggle to read or you're a WUM. I'll let you decide which one.

spwd

Ten Hag joined and the global scouts were sacked, the CEO was checked out, we had Will Keane's brother negotiating deals, etc.

Both had shit structures given it was Glazers, but Ole had more windows and effectively a better shake
But eth got most of his targets so how is that worse than before like Ole having Ronaldo forced on him and screwed it all up for him?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But eth got most of his targets so how is that worse than before like Ole having Ronaldo forced on him?
I mean, read the posts again. There needs to be a proper scouting set-up at the club and proper negotiators on the table in order to support the manager, and overlay his targets with more researched ones. Us relying on Ten Hag for his limited experience of players shows how this was a big problem.

Asger

After all we have an assistant coach that has won the Dutch league. So maybe its not as much of an achievement for ETH.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
After all we have an assistant coach that has won the Dutch league. So maybe its not as much of an achievement for ETH.
Winning the dutch league is an achievement, just not a massive one. Especially with Ajax. I dont have any arguments there.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Should I quote you back?
I didn't say experience in small leagues counts as zero. I'm saying he had zero experience in a big league. He did have experience and pedigree embedding great systems in Holland, which counts as something. But transcending that to a big league is an entirely different beast and something he has no experience in doing, he'd need to learn how to adapt to big personalities, more politics and far bigger pressure.

stevoc

OK my friend I should not have been rude in my tone so I retract that. But my point is Ole can't really be given 2 cups hypothetically just because he faced City, when he had form for exiting to beatable teams nonetheless.
Fair enough mate.

I'm not hypothetically giving him two cups though. You're saying it's an achievement that Ten Hag has got to 3 finals. Ok, my point is only that Ole probably would have matched that had he not met Man City in the Semi finals 2 years in a row.

I am, because Ten Hag got the job done. Even when Ole would beat say, Liverpool, he'd go on to lose to Leicester (or was it Wolves) later on. I can't really remember the exact route but not all of Ole's cup exits were to Manchester City.
Ten Hag got beat by Man City in a final/s instead of semi-finals. I don't really see the difference.

And I'm not just saying this because It's Ten Hag. I put little stock in the Europa League final Solskjaer got to either because we lost.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I didn't say experience in small leagues counts as zero. I'm saying he had zero experience in a big league. He did have experience and pedigree embedding great systems in Holland, which counts as something. But transcending that to a big league is an entirely different beast and something he has no experience in doing, he'd need to learn how to adapt to big personalities, more politics and far bigger pressure.
Well, that's the point. He's unproven in a big league, so why should we persist after this disaster class of a season?

Your argument is about not being a 'bad' coach but there's no evidence to the contrary when it comes to managing at United's level. We have the money and pedigree not to need to take such risks with someone who's shown not to be up to the job on pretty much every parameter for a whole season.

I won't even get into him saying we need a fully fit squad for a top 4 challenge. Even purely in financial terms, it's too much of a risk to keep him next season when that no-CL in consecutive years will kick in and we're, more than ever, at risk of not making it with so many clubs making forward strides.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The biggest damning statement of this Ten Hag era, is if he went tomorrow we'd still need players in absolutely every single position of the pitch.

Hopefully the new management team can get the success rate on transfers up from an arguable 1 in 10 being a success to maybe having 2 or 3 !

Redstain

he is not a case of an up and coming manager who can reinvent himself.
A very important observation in being able to adjust in any field or profession. I would say at this point it's a guarantee that Erik is incapable of doing so because he has demonstrated in his character the constraint of lacking accountability. Introspection is the only way you can progress when you reach certain stumbling blocks, this is why United have been unable to kick on this season it's not injuries alone but the application and game dynamics set by the manager.

I would implore any fan to look at the metrics of the Wolves performance at the beginning of the season and use it as a barometer to compare how the narrative has contrasted between United then (fully fit 11) and United with injuries. Both teams under those prospective circumstances are the same when highlighting the cohesive performances.

This for me is where the injury excuse is undone, you can look at Newcastle they possess a archetypal method within their team as a framework that is successful with fit players. So in the event of picking up injuries there's a clear dissemination in what attempt to typically do. No such equivalence is prevalent with this United team, the team and manager operates at the same level irrespective.

That is where Erik's argument for this seasons failings is undone, he has done absolutely nothing to set a performance orientated standard where the extent of injuries diminish the supposed standard he would have augmented. His excuses make sense at surface level but we must apply critical thinking and that's where everything dismantles.

city-puma

"Freefalling" Chelsea ahead of Erik Ten Hag's Manchester United now.
I think for most of us the real concern is that Chelsea has been gelling piece by piece with their young squad. It’s a process we can see it’s happening and will very likely fulfill huge potential someday. They just need to add the extra missing pieces. For us, the process doesn’t look promising at all. People praise ETH plays some youngsters. My biggest problem is that it’s only two, Garnacho and Mainoo. Arteta played many many more and gave them plenty of minutes since taking the job. Just think Amad’s situation. Unbelievable.

Redstain

I would back Erik if he said something along the lines of:

"This season has a been a failure due to our approach. Me and my staff made critical errors in successfully implementing a new system veering from what we did in the previous campaign. Injuries haven't helped with our transition however, we recognize that deficiencies in midfield and the spaces we are vulnerable too have lost us majority of the games this season. By thorough review and data to match we have seen this has been caused by XYZ"

That is the conversation of success, it's not excusing the sight of failure but objectifying the reasons for it.

Amsterdam Devil

winning it with Twente was a big achievement, winning it with Ajax not so much, especially with the team he had which was put together by Overmars.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He said in his talk with Gary Neville the structure was fine. Var is a load of bs excuse. Sell or don’t play the toxics out them to the fans. Media abuse is because we are playing fecking shite. The ”abuse” with the amount of money spent is warranted. Whether he bought the players or not. Buy Rice not Mount is one example.
Like he would shit talk Murtough/Arnold in public. He was being diplomatic.