g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

F1 2016 Season with Fantasy League see Threadmark

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
good point, never thought of that, if they do it, it should make qualifying a lot more exciting.
Might also add some good jeopardy with cars deciding when to go for tyre changes (if they're still allowed).

Had a gander at the autosport forums and they are, as usual, going mental.

spwd

I've joined guys, any tips or explanation of the chassis, aero etc?

spwd

The password is just redcafe now, no space on the end just for confirmation :)

Norris

what do you think about this.

Qualifying will remain as a one-hour session, split into three segments, but drivers must be on track throughout each part until they get knocked out.

Details on how the new qualifying format will work exactly have yet to be decided, but the general outline has been agreed.

That would genuinely make qualifying exciting again, instead of the same old drab routine. Does this mean, they are allowed to change fuel after each segment ? Or would they have to carry the fuel load they plan to use for the races.

It will also be quite chaotic though. Those that are probably assured a safe entry Q2 will automatically slow down and basically just coast along and those that are fighting to stave off getting knocked out may get impeded won't they. Lot's of little chinks to work out. But very very interesting

Impulse

Just signed up. Do the chassis and aero work the same way as the engine in that you score for the highest scoring driver?

spwd

Same question as Impulse, can someone give me a quick rundown of how it works, should I have 3 drivers and no engine or aero etc?

Ubik

McLaren back to blowing up. Looks like it'll be another season to ignore for me.

pauldyson1uk

spwd

I would say up to you, you get extra points for engines and chassis and aero, but if you want just 3 drivers , I would say go for it.
Ah right so it is allowed then, I thought by reading the rules you had to have all 6.

pauldyson1uk

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone says the new proposed qualifying format will not be introduced until May's Spanish GP at the earliest to allow for new timing software to be developed.

The F1 Commission agreed at a meeting in Geneva to revamp the current three-part running on Saturday by introducing a constant knockout format.

Under the proposals the session would remain in three parts. However, rather than drivers dropping out at the end of each segment, the slowest competitor would be eliminated at 90-second intervals.
But according to Ecclestone, the plan has now had to be put back until midway through the new season.

"The new qualifying won't happen because we can't get everything together in time," Ecclestone has told The Independent.

"We are not going to be able to get all the software done in time. So the qualifying changes will probably be in Spain. In Australia it will be the old qualifying."

pauldyson1uk

F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone says the new proposed qualifying format will not be introduced until May's Spanish GP at the earliest to allow for new timing software to be developed.

The F1 Commission agreed at a meeting in Geneva to revamp the current three-part running on Saturday by introducing a constant knockout format.

Under the proposals the session would remain in three parts. However, rather than drivers dropping out at the end of each segment, the slowest competitor would be eliminated at 90-second intervals.
But according to Ecclestone, the plan has now had to be put back until midway through the new season.

"The new qualifying won't happen because we can't get everything together in time," Ecclestone has told The Independent.

"We are not going to be able to get all the software done in time. So the qualifying changes will probably be in Spain. In Australia it will be the old qualifying."
Looks like it is going to happen fir the seasons opening race in Australia.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Could be another boring season. Mercs look good in testing. They've been racking up 100+ laps pretty much on everyday of testing.

Ubik

I try to like Hamilton, but whining that the new halo devices don't look "cool" and he'd rather not have one because of that is so spectacularly dickish.

pauldyson1uk

I try to like Hamilton, but whining that the new halo devices don't look "cool" and he'd rather not have one because of that is so spectacularly dickish.
did he actually say that ? all I can find is him saying he wont use it on his car and labelled the halo as "the worst looking mod in Formula 1 history". He is not wrong , it is ugly and I dont see how it will stop anything hitting the driver.

Ubik

did he actually say that ? all I can find is him saying he wont use it on his car and labelled the halo as "the worst looking mod in Formula 1 history". He is not wrong , it is ugly and I dont see how it will stop anything hitting the driver.
Hamilton said F1 cars had lost "the cool look they used to have in the 1980s and 1990s", adding: "It is not F1 for me.

"If they do implement it, I hope we have a choice of whether we have to use it and are not forced to, because ultimately it is our safety."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35723675

It'll stop a stray wheel or large piece of debris, as it's designed to. It's a safety device and if used should be mandatory on all cars, otherwise you get to a position where some will take it off for a marginal performance advantage.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If it's brought it it'll rightly be compulsory and if Hamilton doesn't want to use it he can feck off out of F1.

pauldyson1uk

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35723675

It'll stop a stray wheel or large piece of debris, as it's designed to. It's a safety device and if used should be mandatory on all cars, otherwise you get to a position where some will take it off for a marginal performance advantage.
fair enough , I can see his point but also see the point about safety.

Norris

What a monstrosity that is! I can understand the safety aspect, but it ruins the looks of a gorgeous F1 car. And what sort of impact will it have on visibility ? (Assuming from the image). And is it made of Carbon Fibre or something else. It looks really heavy, which is why I ask that.

Ubik

Trouble with canopies is driver extraction I believe.
What a monstrosity that is! I can understand the safety aspect, but it ruins the looks of a gorgeous F1 car. And what sort of impact will it have on visibility ? (Assuming from the image). And is it made of Carbon Fibre or something else. It looks really heavy, which is why I ask that.
Kimi reckons visibility is fine. Should also be said that that's just Ferrari's own test model to see how it works. Made of carbon fibre, think they're intending to limit it to 5kg or something.

We lived through cocknoses, I'm sure we'll survive this.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Trouble with canopies is driver extraction I believe.
And driver infiltration, they would have to modify the width and the profile of the cars too dramatically.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Vettel: it looks a bit shit but if it saves lives who gives a feck

Hamilton: I'm far too cool to drive that thing

pauldyson1uk

not a good way to prepare for the new season.

Sauber have confirmed to Sky Sports that the team haven't paid their staff in full for the month of February.

The cash-strapped squad are regularly the subject of speculation surrounding their financial health and along with Force India have complained to the European Union about F1's prize money distribution.

Swiss newspaper Blick quoted team principal Monisha Kalternborn as saying: "Part of the February salaries is pending. I regret that immensely

"We are currently at the most expensive time of the year. And with the transfer of a large amount sponsorship from abroad, there has been remittance technical problems."

Sauber are due to field Swede Marcus Ericsson and Brazilian Felipe Nasr in 2016, both of whom are reported to bring millions in sponsorship to the team.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
CHANNEL 4 REVEALS “DREAM TEAM” FOR 2016 FORMULA 1 UK TV PRESENTERS
NEWS

POSTED BY: ALEX KALINAUCKAS | 08 MAR 2016 | 2:58 PM GMT | 0 COMMENTS
Channel 4 has revealed the full line-up of its on-air presenting team ahead of the 2016 Formula 1 season.

The broadcaster takes over as the terrestrial home of F1 coverage in the UK after the BBC pulled out of its contract three years early. It will show ten races live, with the rest covered as highlights.

The channel had already announced that F1 driver-turned-commentator David Coulthard would be joining from the BBC and his co-owned Whisper Films production company will be creating the shows for Channel 4.

Former T4 and X Factor USA presenter Steve Jones will anchor the coverage and a rotating cast of pundits will join him and Coulthard throughout the 2016 season.

Former Red Bull driver, and current World Endurance Championship champion, Mark Webber, and Susie Wolff, who was a Williams F1 development driver in 2015, who will be part of the presenting team for Channel 4’s live races.

Karun Chandhok, who raced in F1 with HRT and was spotted conducting interviews for Channel 4 at last week’s Barcelona test, will be the channel’s technical analyst and will report from the pitlane.

Lee MacKenzie and Ben Edwards have also joined from the BBC with the latter confirmed as lead commentator, alongside Coulthard.

Four-times F1 world champion Alain Prost will be part of Channel 4’s “wider presenting team”, which includes Lewis Hamilton’s brother Nicolas, Bruno Senna and Alex Zanardi, the former F1 driver who became a Paralympic champion following his life-changing CART crash.

Legendary F1 commentator Murrary Walker will also provide interviews with “stars of the sport” throughout 2016 and Renault rookie Jolyon Palmer is writing a blog for Channel 4’s website throughout his first year in F1.

Speaking about the new presenting team, Coulthard explained that Channel would aim to provide a novel approach to F1 TV coverage.

He said: “I’m very proud to be a part of this exciting line up which will give F1 fans who choose to watch the most creative and innovative free-to-air coverage of the season a totally fresh perspective.

“This season promises to be the most competitive for years and viewers can look forward to extensive coverage of all the races, expert punditry, unrivalled paddock and pit access as well as exhilarating stunts and features throughout to bring the audience right into the heart of the race action.”

Channel 4’s chief creative officer Jay Hunt added: “This is the dream team – we’ve brought together the very best in screen and off screen talent to make Channel 4’s coverage unmissable.”

Channel 4 has confirmed that it will use Fleetwood Mac’s “The Chain” as the opening music for its F1 coverage. The channel will also screen practice and qualifying of the events it is showing live and those races will not have advertising breaks.
I'll stick to Sky.

pauldyson1uk

looking forward to what C4 do with F1, when they said they were doing the last Paralympics everybody thought it was be a disaster but they did an excellent job.
They have an excellent line up , I like Webber and they are using Murray what more do you need.
Lee MacKenzie and Ben Edwards from BBC also did well last season,really thought Perry would also be in it , she got better last year. Also more EJ and his shirts.
Also glad they are keeping the same music F1 on TV would not be the same with out this.

Last edited: