F1 2020 Season

Hephaestus

They mentioned that it would've been against the rules to give Bottas the softs? Why is that?
Against Mercedes' internal rules, same reason they didn't allow either Bottas or Hamilton to use party mode against each other when they asked this year. Wherever possible they give the two the exact same strategy and tyres to avoid arguments.

Leg-End

Bottas playing the sympathy vote on that softs call, he already knows that it’s against what they do. He lunches his mediums quicker than Hamilton so why risk it as would he would have left himself vulnerable to Max on them.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Bottas playing the sympathy vote on that softs call, he already knows that it’s against what they do. He lunches his mediums quicker than Hamilton so why risk it as would he would have left himself vulnerable to Max on them.
Yeah. He would’ve never caught Lewis anyway. His only hope was and is a safety car or Lewis having a failure

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Gasly fifth again. What happened to Ricciardo and Albon?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Lewis with a history making win, overtakes Sch with 92 race wins.
After a dodgy start, turned out a easy win for him in the end with a massive 25.5 second advantage.
And with cramp in his right leg.
Absolutely outstanding performance and outstanding achievement.
Lews Hamilton is history in the making and Mercedes are quite right. It is an honour to have him driving for them. Plenty more records to be set.
Congratulations Lewis.

Krits

Congratulations Lewis. Never thought I would see Schumi's record broken, at least not so soon. It is fitting that Lewis eventually filled the seat that Schumi vacated.

But this was a great race behind the front 4. I'm absolutely loving the midfield fight this season. Like I eluded to earlier, might just be cause Ferrari is in it now so I'm paying more attention to what's happening. But has been great fun. Also helps that I've had a soft spot for Gasly since he was booted out of RB, he has had some great drives.

Finally, LeClerc. I'm mightily impressed. That was a great drive + perfect strategy (for once) from Ferrari. I was fuming when they kept Vettel on the Mediums yesterday instead of him giving him a chance for top 10 on the Softs. But I'm pretty sure if Vettel started on the Soft today, he would have ended up outside the Top 10. Medium to Hards was way faster than anything with Softs involved.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Gasly 5th and Albon 12th. Unless he is amazing next race he’s losing that seat, I think they moved him in too soon. Losing RIC really hurt RB.

Portuguese GP Result

pauldyson1uk

1Lewis HamiltonMercedesfastest overall lap 1:18.7501:29:56.828
2Valtteri BottasMercedes1:19.34525.592 behind
3Max VerstappenRed Bull1:19.85434.508 behind
4Charles LeclercFerrari1:20.4081:05.312 behind
5Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri1:20.5511 lap behind
6Carlos Sainz JnrMcLaren1:20.2681 lap behind
7Sergio PerezRacing Point1:20.8021 lap behind
8Esteban OconRenault1:20.8591 lap behind
9Daniel RicciardoRenault1:20.9061 lap behind
10Sebastian VettelFerrari1:20.7311 lap behind
11Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo1:21.0581 lap behind
12Alexander AlbonRed Bull1:19.8901 lap behind
13Lando NorrisMcLaren1:19.3601 lap behind
14George RussellWilliams1:20.8821 lap behind
15Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo1:21.8931 lap behind
16Kevin MagnussenHaas1:21.4601 lap behind
17Romain GrosjeanHaas1:21.6641 lap behind
18Nicholas LatifiWilliams1:21.8592 laps behind
19Daniil KvyatAlphaTauri1:20.4492 laps behind
not classifiedLance StrollRacing Point1:21.694did not finish completed 54 laps

Alemar

Lewis with a history making win, overtakes Sch with 92 race wins.
In Schumacher times there were usually 16 races per season, now it’s over 20. The only stat that is objective is a number of titles, as there is only one per season.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Very late with this but congrats to Lewis. What an achievement... bloody proud of him.

slyadams

Gasly 5th and Albon 12th. Unless he is amazing next race he’s losing that seat, I think they moved him in too soon. Losing RIC really hurt RB.
I can’t see how he keeps the seat. Today feels like an all time low

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
But I think also evidence that the #2 red bull car is an absolute dog if you cannot mimic Max's driving technique. Albon is not THAT bad. Put Gasly back in and he's going to struggle just as much as last time. Red Bull need to look in house.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
In Schumacher times there were usually 16 races per season, now it’s over 20. The only stat that is objective is a number of titles, as there is only one per season.

Hamilton does have a higher wins per race average than Schumacher though. Even still I never thought Schumacher's record would ever get beat but fair play to Hamilton he is absolutely head and shoulders above anyone at the moment.

slyadams

But I think also evidence that the #2 red bull car is an absolute dog if you cannot mimic Max's driving technique. Albon is not THAT bad. Put Gasly back in and he's going to struggle just as much as last time. Red Bull need to look in house.
Whilst this is true, what’s the point in carrying on? They have sod all to lose by trying someone else. Unless they’re going to change the characteristics of the car fundamentally next year (which is probably impossible with development limitations), it will just be more of the same.

Alemar

Hamilton does have a higher wins per race average than Schumacher though.
of course, cars are much more reliable now.
In terms of dominating the sport, he reached Schumacher level, definitely, but stats are skewed by number of races and difference in reliability.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Whilst this is true, what’s the point in carrying on? They have sod all to lose by trying someone else. Unless they’re going to change the characteristics of the car fundamentally next year (which is probably impossible with development limitations), it will just be more of the same.
Oh no for sure Albon has to be replaced. Perez looks like a safe bet but finding a driver for that #2 car seems like a bigger process than just picking a driver in form. You're going to have to look at driving styles and find one that matches the car.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Hamilton does have a higher wins per race average than Schumacher though. Even still I never thought Schumacher's record would ever get beat but fair play to Hamilton he is absolutely head and shoulders above anyone at the moment.
Skewed by Schumacher's comeback with Mercedes. Schumacher got to 91 in fewer races than Hamilton.

of course, cars are much more reliable now.
In terms of dominating the sport, he reached Schumacher level, definitely, but stats are skewed by number of races and difference in reliability.
Hamilton deserves some credit for that, Verstappen for instance has only 2 fewer DNF's in his entire career already for comparison (yes, yes I know Renault/Honda have a lot to do with that).

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Perez. He's cnutish enough to compete.

Tiber

Only saw the first few laps yesterday before work. Saw the race ended with yet another dull 1-2 Merc podium

What were the thoughts on the track?

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Really enjoyed it but the conditions played a part. Resurfaced last month I believe so the oils were seeping and making it slippery, plus it was cooler than it had been and getting the tyres up to temp was an issue for some. Throw in a little bit of drizzle and it was perfect conditions for mayhem at the start. That said, hold this race in the middle of summer and those high speed corners on these pirellis, we're going to see the opposite and heavy graining. The track is wide enough at certain parts for cars to fight side by side for multiple corners which we saw towards the end. Adjust the DRS zone and it's a humdinger. Really hope it stays on the calendar but don't think it's big enough money wise

Alemar

Saw the race ended with yet another dull 1-2 Merc podium
That’s the case at virtually every race now. I have no idea how F1 management tolerates this situation - there is absolutely no intrigue from sporting perspective, and ratings shall decrease drastically, I am afraid. What makes it even worse, there is no real fight between two Mercedes cars either

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Perez. He's cnutish enough to compete.
Id agree Perez seems to have the skills to compete in that car but he ll probably want to compete to be the no. 1 driver as well. Will RB and Max allow for that? Max at least seems to have matured a lot because a year or two I would ve said him and Perez together would be a recipe for disaster - personality wise.
That’s the case at virtually every race now. I have no idea how F1 management tolerates this situation - there is absolutely no intrigue from sporting perspective, and ratings shall decrease drastically, I am afraid. What makes it even worse, there is no real fight between two Mercedes cars either
I don't completely agree on that when it comes to this season. Yes the Merc 1-2 and arguably Max always in the top 3 mix is boring in a way (though I cant continue to be amazed about Max being so consistent as well despite the inferior car) - but the midfield battle is absolutely amazing this season. I never quite had enough appreciation for the middle of the pack drama until I watched the Netflix series. If you haven't seen that yet I highly recommend you still do and you ll probably feel the same.

Helder-Carvalho

Really enjoyed it but the conditions played a part. Resurfaced last month I believe so the oils were seeping and making it slippery, plus it was cooler than it had been and getting the tyres up to temp was an issue for some. Throw in a little bit of drizzle and it was perfect conditions for mayhem at the start. That said, hold this race in the middle of summer and those high speed corners on these pirellis, we're going to see the opposite and heavy graining. The track is wide enough at certain parts for cars to fight side by side for multiple corners which we saw towards the end. Adjust the DRS zone and it's a humdinger. Really hope it stays on the calendar but don't think it's big enough money wise
Well, the passion for F1 here is allways high, but we are a small market and dont have the pull of midlle eastern or caucasus oil or Central Europe leverage, it's a shame because the track is very well regarded by most drivers.