F1 2022 Season

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We should probably be throwing the shit at Ferrari this time anyway, they had a 1-2 at Monaco and still managed to mess it up.

Pretty disgusted at alpine and alonso, driving as slowly as possible, just to hold onto 7th on a track where passing is all but impossible. Shameful for a 2 x WC. Also Alpine shot themselves in the foot and dropped the WC points Ocon might of got if Alonso hadn't of driven so slowly.

Monaco is garbage and need a revamp of the track somehow or removing off the calender. We could have carried out for another 1 million laps and the top four barring a collosal mistake would have remained the same.
I'm actually glad Alonso did what he did. I think he wanted to prove a point that Monaco in it's current format is a joke.

You can literally drive around as slow as you want in certain sections, as long as you accelerate properly into the tunnel and the main pit straight you have zero chance of being overtaken.

Could he have pushed harder? sure, but what was the point? he wasn't going to overtake Norris, might as well look after the engine and gearbox.

It makes me cringe so hard when they roll out the 'crown in the jewel' line about Monaco :lol: they try so hard to make it seem special.

So many things could be done there to make it exciting again, but I doubt we will ever see changes unless people stop turning up/tuning into it.

ArjenIsM3

If a ball is two feet inside the goal post, can people bend the rules too saying it was raining wet and should not have counted? Some posters here are having a mare here. Gone are the days when rules are rules.
Rules are rules, but they often change and in this case they have. The current rules have been applied correctly. The race director caused confusion by noting the old rules. The posters having a mare here are the ones saying the rules were bent for Max/Red Bull.

We should probably be throwing the shit at Ferrari this time anyway, they had a 1-2 at Monaco and still managed to mess it up.

I'm actually glad Alonso did what he did. I think he wanted to prove a point that Monaco in it's current format is a joke.

You can literally drive around as slow as you want in certain sections, as long as you accelerate properly into the tunnel and the main pit straight you have zero chance of being overtaken.

Could he have pushed harder? sure, but what was the point? he wasn't going to overtake Norris, might as well look after the engine and gearbox.

It makes me cringe so hard when they roll out the 'crown in the jewel' line about Monaco :lol: they try so hard to make it seem special.

So many things could be done there to make it exciting again, but I doubt we will ever see changes unless people stop turning up/tuning into it.
Agree with all this. Ferrari really did an Amber Heard here and shit the bed. Their strategy terrible, they didn't overrule Sainz when he said he wanted to stay out on the wets and go straight to dry while the inters were clearly faster, and when they finally boxed they messed up by telling Leclerc to come it at the same time as Sainz. And yeah, I agree Monaco has great history but as it stands it's a boring track with no overtaking possibilities unless you have a massive tyre advantage like Gasly had.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Is there any scope at all at Monaco to have even one proper over-taking zone?
Not in terms of straight lines, but what the majority want is a 'joker lap' where you force the cars to go round a longer extra section of the track.

That way if a similar train situation happens, you can take the extended route and go faster in clean air. Once the slower car is forced out of the way to take their joker lap you're back to full speed.

In it's current form you can just park the bus and nobody has any options apart from pitting. Monaco doesn't have many pits stops either.

Withnail

Not in terms of straight lines, but what the majority want is a 'joker lap' where you force the cars to go round a longer extra section of the track.

That way if a similar train situation happens, you can take the extended route and go faster in clean air. Once the slower car is forced out of the way to take their joker lap you're back to full speed.

In it's current form you can just park the bus and nobody has any options apart from pitting. Monaco doesn't have many pits stops either.
It's not just the train though. You want cars to be able to overtake each other. I was just reading about that as I'd never heard of a joker lap. I'm not sure it would have helped so much yesterday as Alonso had pace when he wanted it. Even then, if cars had used it to get passed Alonso we still wouldn't have any more overtaking throughout the race.

Adam-Utd

It's not just the train though. You want cars to be able to overtake each other. I was just reading about that as I'd never heard of a joker lap. I'm not sure it would have helped so much yesterday as Alonso had pace when he wanted it. Even then, if cars had used it to get passed Alonso we still wouldn't have any more overtaking throughout the race.
Well yeah, that's Monaco unfortunately. It was never a big overtaking track even in the 80/90's with smaller cars.

It's just quite simply not fit for purpose anymore, but don't let that get in the way of the fun party week for the rich and famous.

Doracle

Rules are rules, but they often change and in this case they have. The current rules have been applied correctly. The race director caused confusion by noting the old rules. The posters having a mare here are the ones saying the rules were bent for Max/Red Bull.

Agree with all this. Ferrari really did an Amber Heard here and shit the bed. Their strategy terrible, they didn't overrule Sainz when he said he wanted to stay out on the wets and go straight to dry while the inters were clearly faster, and when they finally boxed they messed up by telling Leclerc to come it at the same time as Sainz. And yeah, I agree Monaco has great history but as it stands it's a boring track with no overtaking possibilities unless you have a massive tyre advantage like Gasly had.
Sainz made the correct call to stay out. As I understand it, he just got unlucky in being delayed by traffic on his out lap on the slicks, otherwise his decision wins him the race.

Fluctuation0161

They both are and aren’t.

Historically they increased car width back to 2m in 2017 having been 1.8m since 1998 which resulted in hugely long but narrow cars that looked so ungainly and unwieldy.

They look much, much better being wide and squat again.

But it does mean they too big for Monaco, which they probably have been since 1970ish.

Main thing for me is they’re 5m long. Far, far too long.
So they introduce ground effect to make overtaking easier but make the cars too wide and too long for this to be a reality on many circuits. Inept?

Bestie07

Is it really safe to have the race in Monaco? The circuit seems very narrow and I am honestly surprised there haven't been more dangerous accidents there in the past.

Add to it the fact that it is practically impossible to overtake there and races are always so boring. Seems to me that the only reason they host the race there is so that everyone can have a nice time before and after the actual race.

Ahmer Baig

Have they shown any reason why Alonso was in the barrier?
Sorry for the late reply as I did not have internet.

Fernando Alonso admits that a lapse in concentration triggered his crash on his final run in Q3 in Monaco after a strong lap on his first set of tyres.

. Alonso was encouraged by the speed the Alpine showed over the course of qualifying after finishing seventh.
"It was good," he said when asked about the session by Motorsport.com. "I had two sets in Q3, because Q1 was easier than expected.
"So I really thought that I could P5, because in the first attempt I was P5, and then in the second attempt, thanks to the track evolution, maybe P5 was possible. But I didn't complete the lap.
"I lost concentration, so I braked too late, and locked the tyres. Arguably I could use the escape road, if I think back, but I felt I could make the corner, and I couldn't.
"So I apologised to the team first of all, because this year every mistake, it costs money for the cost cap. So it is difficult to accept, so I'm not very proud of my qualifying. Let's hope tomorrow to do a better job."
The consolation for Alonso was that he wouldn't have been able to complete the lap anyway, due to the red flag triggered by the Perez and Sainz clash.

"I crashed, I put the radio to say that I was in Turn 5, and the engineer said, 'There's a crash in Turn 8, so red flag.' So I said, 'Don't worry, I'm already in the wall!'"

dinostar77

Sorry for the late reply as I did not have internet.

Fernando Alonso admits that a lapse in concentration triggered his crash on his final run in Q3 in Monaco after a strong lap on his first set of tyres.
:lol: lapse in concentration. He did that on purpose, obviously not aware of Perez incident to stop anyone on fresh rubber pushing him further down the grid from 7th.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Overall, for all the moaning I've been reading, that was a good Monaco race :lol: There's been some proper stinkers over the years. I'll take yesterdays.

The track isn't going to change, maybe get rid of the chicane down the hill out of the tunnel, just make it a straight. But the cars need to be made smaller. The size comparison between now and 2005 is ridiculous.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Overall, for all the moaning I've been reading, that was a good Monaco race :lol: There's been some proper stinkers over the years. I'll take yesterdays.

The track isn't going to change, maybe get rid of the chicane down the hill out of the tunnel, just make it a straight. But the cars need to be made smaller. The size comparison between now and 2005 is ridiculous.
The commentators are annoying, the way they hyped it up, like there was going to be a load of overtaking after the final safety car. There was feck all as normal and everyone raved about it being a great race just cos there was rain and some tactical screw ups which added interest. There was zero actual racing of interest.

Adam-Utd

The commentators are annoying, the way they hyped it up, like there was going to be a load of overtaking after the final safety car. There was feck all as normal and everyone raved about it being a great race just cos there was rain and some tactical screw ups which added interest. There was zero actual racing of interest.
I guess it's their job to try and make it seem exciting, but we all knew it would be follow your leader.

Stick them in go karts next year, that'll make it interesting.

dinostar77

Why do the cars need to be made smaller for one track out of 23? Its the outlier and therefore should change.

Autosport asked their writers about their favourite Monaco GPs. The most recent from the top 5 was in 2000. 22 years ago. There were a few from the 90s and some from the 70s. Thats how shit a track it is.

Jippy

Staff
I guess it's their job to try and make it seem exciting, but we all knew it would be follow your leader.

Stick them in go karts next year, that'll make it interesting.
Yeah I get that it's their jobs, but let's not pretend it's anything more than a tumescent procession, albeit with a cooler backdrop than most tracks. I did genuinely chuckle when 'Charles', as some insist on calling him like he's their mate, flipped out on the radio.

Abizzz

Why do the cars need to be made smaller for one track out of 23? Its the outlier and therefore should change.

Autosport asked their writers about their favourite Monaco GPs. The most recent from the top 5 was in 2000. 22 years ago. There were a few from the 90s and some from the 70s. Thats how shit a track it is.
Every other race would benefit from smaller cars too. Plus we could finally escape the Tilke made plastic sameness that all modern tracks have become these days by allowing for redesigns of those.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
People talk too much about Monaco, like we see too much overtaking on any other track anyway.

Overtaking is a big problem, and there was literally just few overtakings in the F1 in total since start of the season without using DRS, it's actually criminal how impossible is to overtake with these cars. Something needs to be done about that, Monaco is the least of their problems, it's literally just one weekend out of 23.

Doracle

There’s a massive difference between Monaco and pretty much every other circuit though. Look at the difference between Hamilton in Barcelona and yesterday or the fact two Williams ruined Ferrari’s race because they couldn’t get past them until they got out of the way on their critical outlaps. It’s simply impossible to overtake at Monaco in F1 unless the other car makes a mistake.

I don’t mind it remaining in the Calendar given it’s history but it’s very much on the basis that the actual race is going to be extremely dull 99% of the time.

BristolRuss

They are planning on making the cars smaller from 2026 onwards as part of the next regulation update. I don't think they have announced exactly what that is going to entail yet though.

They should just bring back these cars. Wonderful to see them drift around corners and nice and thin so passing wouldn't be a problem.

https://fb.watch/dkGpOSXofd/

antsmithmk

Hates women.
It was a half decent race by Monaco's standards. Unless some changes are made to the track, I can't see how overtaking could be made possible. I don't think you could remove the chicane after the tunnel as the speed through the sections after that would be too dangerous. A wider hairpin somewhere else on the track would provide a chance if you could put in a DRS zone before it. They are obviously restricted by what layout they can go with but I think the organisation should try something new.

dinostar77

People talk too much about Monaco, like we see too much overtaking on any other track anyway.

Overtaking is a big problem, and there was literally just few overtakings in the F1 in total since start of the season without using DRS, it's actually criminal how impossible is to overtake with these cars. Something needs to be done about that, Monaco is the least of their problems, it's literally just one weekend out of 23.
This season, monaco aside has been the best for overtaking and closer running to the car infront for over 30 years. Depending on the track you do need help of DRS bit that will get fixed over a number of years as the wake from the car inf ront is reduced. Even in mansells era they had a Boost for Overtake button.

dinostar77

It was a half decent race by Monaco's standards. Unless some changes are made to the track, I can't see how overtaking could be made possible. I don't think you could remove the chicane after the tunnel as the speed through the sections after that would be too dangerous. A wider hairpin somewhere else on the track would provide a chance if you could put in a DRS zone before it. They are obviously restricted by what layout they can go with but I think the organisation should try something new.
The problem is FIA are open to trying stuff at Monaco but the ACM (old rich white dude car club who own the rights for the weekend, arent open to anything new or interesting). Hopefully this will change with the contract negotiations as its so fecking dull.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
The problem is FIA are open to trying stuff at Monaco but the ACM (old rich white dude car club who own the rights for the weekend, arent open to anything new or interesting). Hopefully this will change with the contract negotiations as its so fecking dull.
Yep fingers crossed. It must be a right ball ache trying to get around Monaco in May as the track is out for weeks.... Formula E had a race there, the historic GP and then the F1. It must take weeks to put up and take down as well.

pauldyson1uk

I did not dislike Monaco this year, it was a decent race in places, Gasley showed that overtaking is possible.
The start was a Grade A cock up, as was the double pit for Ferrari , cost them the win.
The moaning over Max and the rules was understandable, at the time I thought they would give a penalty, but when they did not, it was not thought of again until the appeal.
The penalty for Ocon was a strange one, I thought racing incident.
Will Monaco happen next year ? My gut say yes it will the contract will be signed and for 10 years, but if the rich old white dudes (ACM) dont want to change and things need changing, then feck them, lets see how long before they come back to FIA with cap in hand, after all the race weekend must be worth a huge amount of money to them and the local economy.
The fee for the race , believed to be somewhere in the region of $12 - $15 million dollars, is around half that which many other venues provide – and well short of some eye-watering deals like Saudi Arabia and Qatar that are more than three times as much.
Apparently the economy lost 100 million euros when the race was cancelled due COVID.

The track need a layout change and quickly, Monaco is the blue ribbon race, but also the most boring, normally only rain changes that, but this year, the race director stopped that.
This is just one alternate track, there is other.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Pauldy's yacht parking space is near Ciappaira, isn't it?

dinostar77

I did not dislike Monaco this year, it was a decent race in places, Gasley showed that overtaking is possible.
The start was a Grade A cock up, as was the double pit for Ferrari , cost them the win.
The moaning over Max and the rules was understandable, at the time I thought they would give a penalty, but when they did not, it was not thought of again until the appeal.
Will Monaco happen next year ? My gut say yes it will the contract will be signed and for 10 years, but if the rich old white dudes (ACM) dont want to change and things need changing, then feck them, lets see how long before they come back to FIA with cap in hand, after all the race weekend must be worth a huge amount of money to them and the local economy.
The fee for the race , believed to be somewhere in the region of $12 - $15 million dollars, is around half that which many other venues provide – and well short of some eye-watering deals like Saudi Arabia and Qatar that are more than three times as much.
Apparently the economy lost 100 million euros when the race was cancelled due COVID.

The track need a layout change and quickly, Monaco is the blue ribbon race, but also the most boring, normally only rain changes that, but this year, the race director stopped that.
Thats an interesting layout. Personally id remove the chicane when exiting the tunnel. The speeds entering tabac and the swimming pool complex would be higher, but as you dont need to slow down to a grinding halt for rascasse you could carry more speed onto the straight. Would be good if the straight ended up with a corner that allowed overtaking though, rather than a tight left hander.

I like it though. Its stuff like this and the FIA taking control of the broadcasting of the Monaco GP which would be an improvement.

Adam-Utd

Use this as the joker layout and we will see 100x better racing at Monaco. Something needs to change

dinostar77

The best video explaining the components of a f1 car i have ever seen. Ok based on last years design but still. The work that went into this video. Wow.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I totally agree a track change, or joker mechanic is needed.

That's totally different from the "just bin it" crowd.

Monaco having the only joker on the calendar would be an excellent way to keep it front and centre

hobbers

Inappropriate Content
Latifi fecked over Sainz for half a lap and Albon fecked over Leclerc for a whole lap under constant blue flags before locking up in turn 1 and losing 20 seconds anyway. Special needs driving from Williams as per.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
They are planning on making the cars smaller from 2026 onwards as part of the next regulation update. I don't think they have announced exactly what that is going to entail yet though.

They should just bring back these cars. Wonderful to see them drift around corners and nice and thin so passing wouldn't be a problem.

https://fb.watch/dkGpOSXofd/
Isnt the reason why the cars are so big this season is the ground effect design? Maybe they can add skirts and therefore allowing cars to reduce the girth and length.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yeah I get that it's their jobs, but let's not pretend it's anything more than a tumescent procession, albeit with a cooler backdrop than most tracks. I did genuinely chuckle when 'Charles', as some insist on calling him like he's their mate, flipped out on the radio.
You know the commentators do actually know the drivers though? And fans and commentators alike frequently say Lewis, Max, Charles, Fernando...it's basically only the shit drivers that nobody cares about or the ones with nondescript first names / particularly cool surnames that that doesn't apply to.

Jippy

Staff
You know the commentators do actually know the drivers though? And fans and commentators alike frequently say Lewis, Max, Charles, Fernando...it's basically only the shit drivers that nobody cares about or the ones with nondescript first names / particularly cool surnames that that doesn't apply to.
I'm talking about posters here, not commentators. I don't know why but it makes me irrationally angry:lol: Max is more understandable, given he has a long surname, but Fernando is weird, given Alonso is shorter. Charles just sounds cringey.

We used to have a (since banned) annoying poster, one of a small handful actually, but he was the worst, who insisted on always referring to Pogba as Paul. It's just a bit weird and cringey, like people think they're on first name terms with them. Same with the nicknames thing- people who yelled 'go on Choccy/Sparky/whoever' always seemed smug weirdos who thought they were some ITK cos they knew a nickname.