F1 2022 Season

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Have we seen any of these live? I can't remember any of these.

pauldyson1uk

The Williams team has been fined $25,000 by the FIA for a procedural breach of Formula 1’s financial regulations.

The sport's governing body sanctioned the British outfit for failing to file its 2021 financial reports by the 31 March 2022 deadline as required by the sport's financial regulations.

"On 12 April 2022, the Cost Cap Administration notified Williams that it had committed a Procedural Breach,” stated the FIA on Tuesday.

"On 15 April 2022, Williams responded to the notification accepting that it had committed a Procedural Breach and explaining the steps that it had taken to seek to avert that breach.

"Having considered Williams’ explanation and given in particular that the Procedural Breach was voluntarily disclosed by Williams in advance of the Full Year Reporting Deadline of 31 March 2022 and Williams has been fully cooperative in seeking to remedy the breach, the Cost Cap Administration deemed it appropriate to offer Williams an ABA resolving the breach on the terms set out below. That offer was accepted by Williams.

"The Cost Cap Administration confirms that, as of the date hereof, Williams has within the specified deadline remediated the Procedural Breach, paid the Financial Penalty, and bore the costs incurred by the Cost Cap Administration in connection with the preparation of the ABA."

https://f1i.com/news/443862-william...55o1qdpglwTtBYWUbxx55QHYS2uwMudCLjvZrfuLsg4zE

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Haas when they ditch Mick?
Mick is too marketable. Also, despite the crashes, he’s been there or there abouts as fast as K-Mag and I believe they’re level head to head so far this season in races. Mick just needs to score points and HAAS need to stop with the shit strategies like in Spain.

Pretty much anytime the car has been a pig, Micks been the quicker of the two… as Gunter said himself, it’s a different beast driving the nuts off a shit box and being competitive in a fast car. We saw with George Russell that it wasn’t easy to go from the back to being midfield.

Last edited:

dinostar77

Mick is too marketable. Also, despite the crashes, he’s been there or there abouts as fast as K-Mag and I believe they’re level head to head so far this season in races. Mick just needs to score points and HAAS need to stop with the shit strategies like in Spain.

Pretty much anytime the car has been a pig, Micks been the quicker of the two… as Gunter said himself, it’s a different beast driving the nuts off a shit box and being competitive in a fast car. We saw with George Russell that it wasn’t easy to go from the back to being midfield.
Magnussen has outqualified Schumacher five times out of seven and scored all of Haas’s 15 points to date. Schmacher needs to stop damaging the car and actually score some points. His name shouldn't give him a free pass in F1.

Also gunter said if KMag wasnt in the team this season they'd have no idea of the true pace of the car.

"....But Steiner admitted that without Magnussen being there to prove the car’s potential, Haas would be in a “very difficult” place now.

He speculated that with two non-scoring drivers no one involved would “know how good it is or how bad it is” and Haas might think that staying in the midfield was “normality”, even suggesting that he might “have to put somebody [else] in a test to see” what the 2022 car could really do...."

https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-us-epiphany-that-made-magnussen-a-better-f1-team-mate/

Mike Smalling

Absolute horseshit, I’m sorry. Magnussen is 10th in the WDC with 15 points. Mick is dead last with 0 points. He’s one of only two drivers not to score a point, by the way. After 7 races, that is not a coincidence. Magnussen is also outqualifying him and not destroying the budget by wrecking the car all the time.

He might be marketable, but if he goes another full season without finishing in the points, I would think Haas has to look elsewhere.

slyadams

Absolute horseshit, I’m sorry. Magnussen is 10th in the WDC with 15 points. Mick is dead last with 0 points. He’s one of only two drivers not to score a point, by the way. After 7 races, that is not a coincidence. Magnussen is also outqualifying him and not destroying the budget by wrecking the car all the time.

He might be marketable, but if he goes another full season without finishing in the points, I would think Haas has to look elsewhere.
Agreed. I think teams are starting to come around to the idea that pay drivers (which Mick isn't per se, but he's in the cateogry of "in the seat not because of his driving skill") ultimately cost you long term. When Haas had Mick and Mazepin they had absolutely no idea what to do with the car because they had no quality feedback or benchmark on what the car can do. Similarly with Latifi now the shine is off and with Albon putting the car further up the field I expect him to be out of that seat sooner rather than later.

mariachi-19

I’m pretty certain I made it clear that mick needs to score points and that’s hurting him. I’m not making excuses for his lack of points but his pace is there. that’s the battle and what seperates him from the likes of maz-Latifi-stroll

He beat k-mag straight up at Australia and Spain and was comfortably faster at Miami and on track for points before the safety car.

Mike Smalling

I’m pretty certain I made it clear that mick needs to score points and that’s hurting him. I’m not making excuses for his lack of points but his pace is there. that’s the battle and what seperates him from the likes of maz-Latifi-stroll

He beat k-mag straight up at Australia and Spain and was comfortably faster at Miami and on track for points before the safety car.
Yes, he has beaten him twice this season, when they were both well outside the point. 13th vs. 14th in Australia and 14th vs. 17th in Spain. Not really anything to brag about. In Miami he was on course for points until he collided with Vettel, where he at least had some of the responsibility.

As for qualification, Mick has placed better than K-Mag in qualifying two times out of seven - both by a single spot. Magnussen has qualified in the top 10 four times, while Mick has done it once (at exactly 10th place).

To suggest they have been "about as fast" or that they are "head to head" is absolutely ridiculous.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Mick is a Ferrari driver isn't he so will take something to be ditched, still got time on his side but needs to stop crashing at least. Being next to an experienced driver may help him this season, I'm suprised he never went to Alfa instead of Haas but maybe Ferrari have more influence at Haas.

The Firestarter

Mick is a Ferrari driver isn't he so will take something to be ditched, still got time on his side but needs to stop crashing at least. Being next to an experienced driver may help him this season, I'm suprised he never went to Alfa instead of Haas but maybe Ferrari have more influence at Haas.
He went to Haas because one of the sponsors required a German driver.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
He went to Haas because one of the sponsors required a German driver.
Guenther Steiner

“The 1&1 sponsorship is a Haas team sponsorship, it’s not a Mick sponsorship, just to clarify that. There is no direct connection between 1&1 and Mick. Obviously, 1&1 embraces Mick being at Haas, but this was a parallel development, not a combined development."

“But that, it was more like a decision from Ferrari where to send the drivers and we asked if we can have him because he won Formula 2. But it is not a direct negotiation going on between the company [1&1] and Mick.”

mariachi-19

Guenther Steiner

“The 1&1 sponsorship is a Haas team sponsorship, it’s not a Mick sponsorship, just to clarify that. There is no direct connection between 1&1 and Mick. Obviously, 1&1 embraces Mick being at Haas, but this was a parallel development, not a combined development."

“But that, it was more like a decision from Ferrari where to send the drivers and we asked if we can have him because he won Formula 2. But it is not a direct negotiation going on between the company [1&1] and Mick.”
My impression is that he was sent to HAAS to learn his trade. Drive a shit box and develop that necessary car skill in a lower pressure environment, knowing that in 2022, he would need to show his pace because HAAS did nothing at all in developing the 2021 car. It's pretty much the same thing Merc did with Russell. He could have been at McLaren or Aston but they kept him in Williams to learn.

People forget that carrying Mick's last name is as much a negative as it is a positive for him. It opens doors but it also adds expectations.

Doracle

I haven’t followed the pit line issue too closely but what are FIA now saying the rule actually means?

Reading that article, it seems the only change to the wording of the rule is that, instead of stating any part of the car must not cross the line, it instead refers to any tyre not doing so. Given that it was Max’s tyre that crossed the line, I’m not following why the rule change saved him here?

ArjenIsM3

@Doracle Before you weren't allowed to touch the line. For 2022 you can touch the line with your tyres but you may not fully cross it. Your tyre must be completely over the line for you to be in violation. Given that Max's tyres weren't fully over the line he wasn't penalised. It's a bit like a goal in football really. Ball must fully cross the line. Maybe F1 could even implement a sort of "goal line technology" to enforce this rule if people keep bitching about it.. :lol:

No idea why @dinostar77 still thinks Max should be punished. Is your argument that because the race director fecked up and didn't update his notes for the 2022 version the 2021 rules should have been applied and so Max should be punished for the race director's error? This whole narrative that the FIA are changing the rules for Max is ridiculous.

hobbers

pauldyson1uk

Red Bull and Ferrari F1 upgrades among Azerbaijan GP updates - The Race (the-race.com)

MERCEDES
The team has brought a front wing with smaller chord, ready to balance with the low-downforce rear wing. Whether this will be used depends upon whether the team choose the low-downforce wing. The decision is not clear cut at this track.

RED BULL
Red Bull has slightly modified the floor fences and edges to give greater load on the front part of the floor. There is always a compromise to be made between total load and aero balance and Red Bull is seeking ways of getting more front end into the car. There is also extra front brake cooling and an extra stay for the floor to control uncontrolled flexing under load.

FERRARI
The most visually obvious change are the reshaped mirror supports which are claimed to give a small improvement in aero efficiency – something explained here.

The team has also brought its lower downforce wing as an option.

pauldyson1uk

I see Mercedes struggling again, this and Monaco not much diffract.
I see them struggling in qualifying and because of that in the race.
Russell top 6 maybe, Lewis top 10.
Lets see what FP looks like for them.

hobbers

"Fixed the porpoising" they said. "We understand the problem fully" they said.

hobbers

"Can turn it on and off"
Technically true, they either have to stiffen up the suspension until it breaks their drivers backs like they tried in Monaco or raise the ride height so they can't even get into Q3.

Azerbaijan GP Practice One timesheet

pauldyson1uk

Azerbaijan GP Practice One timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Sergio PerezRed Bull1:45.476
2) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.127
3) Max VerstappenRed Bull+0.334
4) Carlos SainzFerrari+0.536
5) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+1.095
6) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+1.191
7) Yuki TsunodaAlpha Tauri+1.220
8) George RussellMercedes+1.229
9) Pierre GaslyAlpha Tauri+1.354
10) Esteban OconAlpine+1.441
11) Lando NorrisMcLaren+2.215
12) Lance StrollAston Martin+2.371
13) Kevin MagnussenHaas+2.470
14) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+2.494
15) Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo+2.602
16) Zhou GuanyuAlfa Romeo+2.746
17) Alexander AlbonWilliams+2.943
18) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+3.334
19) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+5.445
20) Mick SchumacherHaas+12.856

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
interesting to see max struggle with a decent number two driver in the team. the same number two driver hamilton saw off with a minimum of fuss.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I really hope Checo wins this one. The drama will become tenfold.
I can see the result now:

Post-race after Checo won, and was always comfortably ahead of leClerc in 2nd Max in 3rd.

Jos Verstappen in an interview: It's a poor decision from the team not to allow Sergio to let Max through to help him win the race.

Doracle

I can see the result now:

Post-race after Checo won, and was always comfortably ahead of leClerc in 2nd Max in 3rd.

Jos Verstappen in an interview: It's a poor decision from the team not to allow Sergio to let Max through to help him win the race.
I don’t think Checo is good enough unfortunately but it would get very interesting if he could win here. The scenario above would move him 5 or so points behind Max and more or less level with LeClerc. I don’t think RB could move him out of Max’s way for the next few races in that scenario.