F1 2022 Season

dinostar77

Hamilton almost as quick as Max in the speed traps. Mercedes are running the thinnesst rear wing on the grid for this gp.

dinostar77

Please explain what this means for us common folk?! :) As in, implications, if any, other than what it might suggest about wear/ problems
Nothing untoward, just parts changed with FIA agreement under parc fermme. Im surprised that others changed parts as i thought it would be limited to those who crashed yesterday i.e. albion, russell and perez

Mike Smalling

I’d expect the drivers you mentioned to get past. But I don’t think the other teams will breeze past quite that easy. If they race well, manage their tyres, and get a good strategy from their team, I think they’ve both got a great chance of staying in the points. Right at the tail of the points though. It’ll be close.
Yeah, strategy is the other thing. We have seen Haas come up with some strange tactics this season, but this time they probably need to take the low risk approach given their starting spot. Will be interesting to see how well they start too. K-Mag typically gets off really well, whereas I think Mick tends to drop a place or two in the beginning.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Yeah, strategy is the other thing. We have seen Haas come up with some strange tactics this season, but this time they probably need to take the low risk approach given their starting spot. Will be interesting to see how well they start too. K-Mag typically gets off really well, whereas I think Mick tends to drop a place or two in the beginning.
Yeah, should have mentioned the start as well, good point. Losing places at the start will be problematic. They almost need to work together to keep their spots, although never gonna happen. If either loses a couple places at the start then I think that’d be them out the points.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
We are still relying on DRS though, there's no point avoiding the elephant in the room. Ferrari drivers in Saudi Arabia were saying races would be very boring without DRS, although the new regs has given them some more predictability in the corners when racing. Like I said, the jury is still out for me and if we're not seeing improved racing by 2024 then I'll be confident in calling the new regulations a failure in it's objective. As it stands, we're seeing similar racing to 2021 with a shuffle in the pack that new regulations bring, but in terms of the actual racing then it's no change for me. The one saving grace I have in the back of my head is that we've only really been at street circuits so far in the season, once we start getting to the proper dedicated race circuits I'm hopeful the longer sweeping corners (as opposed to the 90 degree corners on street circuits) that those circuits provide might lend itself to some better action.
I'm not avoiding it, DRS is still essential for overtakes and I agree that it would be much better if it wasn't, but no one said that the new regs would make DRS obsolete immediately. Implementing new regs that makes overtaking easier and more common while at the same time removing the one thing from the regs that makes overtaking easier and more common is incredibly hard, and calling them out now with an "well if they haven't figured it out in 2 years time then they've failed" seems a bit premature.

F1 is also still going to be F1 where there are quite large gaps between the front runners, midfield and back markers, and again gaps within those groups during races depending on a ton of different things. It's never going to be a spec racing series with 10 cars within 10sec of each other for an entire stint with passes every lap, and just because you're able to follow more closely now doesn't necessarily mean you will eventually overtake as you need to actually be faster than the guy in front to do that. The new regs (with no DRS) only makes you able to stay closer for longer without ruining your tires, it doesn't make you faster than the car in front.

With all that said, there were more than twice as many overtakes in Saudi Arabia this year compared to last for example, and I definitely don't think that the we're seeing similar racing to 2021 unless we're only looking at the final standings after the races, so agree to disagree on that one.

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Should be a good race today, this track is decent for overtaking.
Barring mishaps Max is going to win, Leclerc will be slicing though the field with his new engine, don't think a podium is on the cards, but I can see him getting 4th or 5th.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Should be a good race today, this track is decent for overtaking.
Barring mishaps Max is going to win, Leclerc will be slicing though the field with his new engine, don't think a podium is on the cards, but I can see him getting 4th or 5th.
Hopefully a safety car or 2 to make it a bit exciting at the front of the race

Balljy

I much prefer Brundle on the grid compared to the others, he's obviously liked and respected by a few of the drivers and others in F1.

pauldyson1uk

Alonso took more than anybody from the wet qualifying, I don't see him lasting at the front too long, I see Seinz taking him on lap one , maybe even turn one, but Alonso is difficult to pass, I think Max will be happy if he did what he did in the last race, hold up the cars behind him.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Alonso took more than anybody from the wet qualifying, I don't see him lasting at the front too long, I see Seinz taking him on lap one , maybe even turn one, but Alonso is difficult to pass, I think Max will be happy if he did what he did in the last race, hold up the cars behind him.
I don't think Sainz will take him in t1. I think there's a bigger chance of Alonso jumping Max, considering Alonso is great with starts and RB haven't been too consistent there.

Kazi

Verstappen prime now perfect start

What a numpty whoever switched the camera angle just before the start

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
TV director on that start, are they terrible on purpose now