F1 2022 Season

The Firestarter

Ferrari looking strong already this weekend. 10 grid penalty already for Sainz on Sunday due to a third control electronics component fitted, depending on how qualifying goes Ferrari may elect to take a further hit with some other components.
They are strong in one lap but then the tire degradation is faster than RB.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They are strong in one lap but then the tire degradation is faster than RB.
? their tyre deg was miles better in austria.

previously they ran a much higher downforce setup, but since they’ve put the lower downforce wing on the car it seems a lot better.

I think this has swung it back to ferrari which seems the better race car.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

previously they ran a much higher downforce setup, but since they’ve put the lower downforce wing on the car it seems a lot better.

Think the times and analysis did show that Ferrari had higher deg than RB on race sim. And generally their pace advantage on race sim was not there today like it was for quali sim. We should have a great chance at pole with Leclerc though.

pauldyson1uk

I was expecting both Merc's to be closer to RB and Ferrari than they are.
Sainz 10 place grid drop ,should Ferrari opt to stagger any further power unit changes through the rest of the weekend - an approach taken with Charles Leclerc in Canada - and take a fresh engine, turbocharger, MGU-K or MGU-K, then it would drop Sainz to the back of the grid,, this means he is not winning this weekend.
Looks like a battle between Max and Leclerc with Russell and Lewis in a fight for 3rd.

The Firestarter

Austria circuit was degrading predominantly the rear tires , unlike the Paul Ricard circuit which erodes mainly the front. Check the last laptimes which was simulation of race pace. Of course they might be sandbagging but I doubt it.

hobbers

I was expecting both Merc's to be closer to RB and Ferrari than they are.
Sainz 10 place grid drop ,should Ferrari opt to stagger any further power unit changes through the rest of the weekend - an approach taken with Charles Leclerc in Canada - and take a fresh engine, turbocharger, MGU-K or MGU-K, then it would drop Sainz to the back of the grid,, this means he is not winning this weekend.
Looks like a battle between Max and Leclerc with Russell and Lewis in a fight for 3rd.
What they should be doing is giving Charles a new engine this weekend as well and taking the penalty here.

pauldyson1uk

Red Bull boss Christian Horner says it's too late to agree new rules for 2023 that change the design of the floor of current Formula 1 cars in a bid to tackle 'porpoising'.

In response to concerns about the severity of the oscillation being experienced by some cars, and its physical effects on the drivers, the FIA has moved to make changes based on safety requirements.

A technical directive introducing a new Aerodynamic Oscillation Metric (AOC) will be introduced for the Belgian Grand Prix, and there there will also be new restrictions on 'flexible' floors.

But further changes planned for 2023 have been attacked by Horner who says teams are already too far along in their plans for next season to incorporate a whole new set of requirements.

“It’s not so much the directive that’s an issue, I think the problem is what they’re looking at as a remedy for next year," he told Sky Sports F1 on Friday at Circuit Paul Ricard.

“The directive is neither here nor there for us," he insisted. Instead, Horner was more annoyed by the fact that the FIA seemed to be responding to pressure from one team in particular, which one can guess is likely Mercedes.

"I think there’s an awful lot of lobbying to change regulations significantly for next year," he said. “A certain team can run its car lower and benefit from that concept. It’s a very late point in the year to be doing it."

Full read is here.
Horner says it's too late to change 2023 floor rules (f1i.com)

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Red Bull boss Christian Horner says it's too late to agree new rules for 2023 that change the design of the floor of current Formula 1 cars in a bid to tackle 'porpoising'.

In response to concerns about the severity of the oscillation being experienced by some cars, and its physical effects on the drivers, the FIA has moved to make changes based on safety requirements.

A technical directive introducing a new Aerodynamic Oscillation Metric (AOC) will be introduced for the Belgian Grand Prix, and there there will also be new restrictions on 'flexible' floors.

But further changes planned for 2023 have been attacked by Horner who says teams are already too far along in their plans for next season to incorporate a whole new set of requirements.

“It’s not so much the directive that’s an issue, I think the problem is what they’re looking at as a remedy for next year," he told Sky Sports F1 on Friday at Circuit Paul Ricard.

“The directive is neither here nor there for us," he insisted. Instead, Horner was more annoyed by the fact that the FIA seemed to be responding to pressure from one team in particular, which one can guess is likely Mercedes.

"I think there’s an awful lot of lobbying to change regulations significantly for next year," he said. “A certain team can run its car lower and benefit from that concept. It’s a very late point in the year to be doing it."

Full read is here.
Am I right in saying the flexi floors limit the porpoising and bouncing effects. Why not just make them legal next year.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Am I right in saying the flexi floors limit the porpoising and bouncing effects. Why not just make them legal next year.
It's more the opposite I believe. The more flex = more porpoising, but better performance.

Stiffen it up and they dont seal as well but don't bounce as much. Hence why they've all been trying to stiffen the floors to stop it.

arthurka

That might be true if both cars could run a whole race.

dinostar77

Looks like verstappen will drive off into the distance tomorrow unless leclerc can keep him honest. The RB looks far too quick even for the ferraris

dinostar77

Full read is here.
Usual horner moaning.

avgp_1

Looks like verstappen will drive off into the distance tomorrow unless leclerc can keep him honest. The RB looks far too quick even for the ferraris
Their race pace was stunning yesterday, but Leclerc might still pull off pole, and try and see if the tyre deg comes in for the RedBull while following him around.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Hate this track purely because the blue stripes are distracting and the camera angles are terrible.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Yeah the camera angles are annoying me. And the stripes also do my head in. Decent racing circuit though.
It's too low to the ground, no appreciation for where you are on the track or what way they are about to turn!