F1 2022 Season

avgp_1

Mick starting to show himself as clearly the best of the rookies. His drives this weekend and at Silverstone are way more impressive than anything we've seen out of Zhou or Tsunoda. Or even Albon to be honest.
Silverstone was ok nothing special apart from that battle with Max. SC got Vettel and KMag out of his way and of course quite a number of retirees. Yesterday was a great race from him but he has to show more.

Yuki had a few good drives last year as well including his debut in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi. It's close between them two but I'd back Yuki, has more raw pace than Mick from their F2 season. Zhou has had terrible luck, not nearly enough to judge

Albon has been driving the wheels of that Williams getting into points on a couple of occasions and missing out on a few others. In fact his race pace gap to Latifi is as good if not better than Russell's was.

ArjenIsM3

Silverstone was ok nothing special apart from that battle with Max. SC got Vettel and KMag out of his way and of course quite a number of retirees. Yesterday was a great race from him but he has to show more.

Yuki had a few good drives last year as well including his debut in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi. It's close between them two but I'd back Yuki, has more raw pace than Mick from their F2 season. Zhou has had terrible luck, not nearly enough to judge

Albon has been driving the wheels of that Williams getting into points on a couple of occasions and missing out on a few others. In fact his race pace gap to Latifi is as good if not better than Russell's was.
Schumacher and Tsunoda are both talented drivers. Think you're right about Tsunoda having more raw pace but I think Mick is more consistent so we'll see who wins that battle. Albon has indeed been driving the wheels off that Williams but he's gone over the edge several times while doing so. Him and Gasly are racking up the penalty points.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Latifi has been laughably shit this year though, he also hasn't finished as often as he might have liked. Not sure it's a fair comparison.

Camilo

The problem is to get out of the car you need to remove the steering wheel. The car was sitting still while he had his foot on the brake, but as he tried to get out it started rolling.

Obviously at that point panic starts setting in and no doubt he could see/feel the flames getting closer and hotter and was getting very worried.

In that situation the Marshalls need to act WAY faster. They should have been there waiting for him ready with the stops. They didn't even have them close by, 1 of the marshalls had to drop his extinguisher and run back to find them.

I get that it was a freak incident but they need to be alert and ready for all situations. I have no doubt in the future they'll make sure on the slopped areas they have the equipment ready immediately.
They're not magic, they did fine. It's motor racing, it's always going to have danger.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They're not magic, they did fine. It's motor racing, it's always going to have danger.
:lol: what a stupid outlook.

Yes its dangerous, but it doesn't need to be more dangerous for no reason. Go back and watch it again and see how slow they are to react.

pauldyson1uk

WOW this is a rather flippent approach.
Yes is dangerous we all know that and yes the Marshalls are not magic, but what they are is there to do a job, does not matter of they are not paid, they want to do the job and lets be honest, their reaction time sometime could be the matter of life and death.
Do we need a paid core of Marshall's that are highly trained and can pass that on to the ones that are volunteering, maybe yes , but thats all cost and would the FIA fund it , no I doubt they would.
The Marshall dropping the extinguisher to find some chocks to stop the car rolling was shocking, there reaction time was slow. The car rolling back on fire is not something I have seen many time before, a freak incident, that is hard to foresee.

TwoSheds

For me the marshal could have grabbed the wheel the car was moving so slowly, would have at least allowed Sainz to stop worrying about the car moving and get out quicker. I was really worried for Sainz at one point. The fact the other marshals were so slow to get there was worrying as well. I feel like it can't be that hard for every corner to have 3-4 marshals.

I also agree that there should be 10 or 20 marshals who are paid to go to every race, you'd have to figure it would help with training the volunteers and make sure there are more experienced, responsible people spread around the track as well.

Norris

Agree with all those that comment on the Marshal reaction times. That scene was a proper heart in mouth moment. It was frightening and can't imagine what was going through Sainz's head. FIA have bucket loads of money, they can easily fund a payment process to have core set of Marshal's.

Also, along these lines since drivers have been complaining about the Steward's consistency in decision making, I feel it would make more sense to have a core set of central staff (If I am not wrong, currently, the organization who own the race are deploying resources) that also travel the world and all races, ensuring same process for issues on and off the track.

Might not benefit the local country with respect to employment opportunities, but allows for more control and central regulation.

pauldyson1uk

Red Bull was at a loss after the Austrian Grand Prix to understand why tyre degradation had become an issue overnight for Max Verstappen, with the team now investigating the issue.

Verstappen took a commanding win over Ferrari's Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz in Saturday's 23-lap sprint event.

But on Sunday, with an RB18 car virtually unchanged since the day before due to parc fermé rules, the Dutchman could not hold his own against the Scuderia's chargers, with unusual degradation setting in during the race.

https://f1i.com/news/448087-red-bul...PDGumR532vfECM1L6-KklW2MkU3UHXLieg2YfV5THOhhc

pauldyson1uk

The FIA is set to sit down with F1 teams to discuss how they can modify their brake duct designs to avoid the ingestion of carbon dust by drivers, a concern brought to the fore by Sebastian Vettel after the Austrian Grand Prix.

Vettel appeared in the media pen after finishing a lowly P17 at the Red Bull Ring with traces of carbon dust on his face.

On F1's new-spec cars, the residue and powder produced by the front brakes are now blown directly towards the rear, towards the cockpit, rather than through the wheels as was the case in the past and last year.

https://f1i.com/news/448081-fia-ready-to-tackle-vettels-carbon-brake-dust-concerns.html

Mike Smalling

this was a great moment

Yeah, great racing. Should have included Magnussen's double overtake of Alonso and Zhou a few seconds before that.

It feels like Silverstone and Austria have had about 95% of the actual racing this season so far.

Adam-Utd

Yeah, great racing. Should have included Magnussen's double overtake of Alonso and Zhou a few seconds before that.

It feels like Silverstone and Austria have had about 95% of the actual racing this season so far.
Purely because the tracks are modern and wide enough to allow cars to go alongside each other, and take multiple lines.

Plenty of slow braking zones to be able to attack helps also.

I hope modern circuits of the future follow this pattern, but I fear we will end up getting more and more tight street tracks where these cars just cannot perform.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
That's just the commercial nature of F1, street tracks are in good city locations for their country and attract the hospitality element. Without that investment into F1 I would imagine some teams wouldn't survive.

Camilo

:lol: what a stupid outlook.

Yes its dangerous, but it doesn't need to be more dangerous for no reason. Go back and watch it again and see how slow they are to react.
It's not more dangerous for no reason. They're slow to react because we've learned that chucking marshalls onto a race track is mental.

Adam-Utd

It's not more dangerous for no reason. They're slow to react because we've learned that chucking marshalls onto a race track is mental.
1 he was pulling onto a slip road far off the main track. They barely had to move to get to the car.

2 the car is on fire. you don’t hesitate with fire, especially with a driver still stuck inside

3 they reacted so slowly that the car was practically engulfed in flames and the driver was trying to jump out of the car. If they’d have the stopper and extinguisher ready it would never have got that far.

The simple fact is they didn’t react fast enough to stop the car rolling backward, so the driver could escape safely. In future this must take precedent.

TwoSheds

There was one marshal on his own while the other chuckle brother looked for the fire extinguisher. You can't be serious in thinking that couldn't be improved on with more marshals / better training / more accessible kit. All of these incidents are an opportunity to learn and improve, that's how you create a good outcome from what was seemingly an oversight / mistake in the way the race was setup to be marshalled.

pauldyson1uk

There should be fire fighting equipment and chocks to stop the cars rolling available with every marshal, that should be a minimum.
Chocks for cars only need to be small bits of wood , plastic they could be carried easy all the time.
F1 marshals do not get paid and they do their job for the love of the sport. Their 'reward' is being the closest people to the action and having free entry to see Formula 1 cars up close and personal. F1 marshals are therefore volunteers and are some of the most important people at a race weekend.
I said it earlier, FIA need to look at getting paid Marshals, all highly trained with the latest equipment and pass that training on.
What has shocked me is that not more is being made of the incident, it has sort of been passed over by the main stream, it was a hair breath away from being a major incident resulting in injury.

Abizzz

I agree with everyone saying there's a lot of improvement on the marshals side of that Sainz scene on the weekend, but I don't quite understand why he didn't put the car in gear? Also with powered breaks and steering these days it shouldn't be above F1 to introduce a button to lock the brakes (at least as long as there's hydraulic pressure left)?

Adam-Utd

I agree with everyone saying there's a lot of improvement on the marshals side of that Sainz scene on the weekend, but I don't quite understand why he didn't put the car in gear? Also with powered breaks and steering these days it shouldn't be above F1 to introduce a button to lock the brakes (at least as long as there's hydraulic pressure left)?
I think that's a bit beyond our paygrade to answer, but i'm quite sure the car would stall, then default back to neutral anyway.

I dont think the automatic gearboxes work like a conventional manual where you can leave it parked in gear and not roll etc.

I'm sure a handbrake would be possible, but I don't remember ever seeing this problem before. Usually there is no rush to get out of the car so the driver can sit there holding the brake until a Marshall puts a wedge under a wheel.

Obviously in this situation though the fire sped the timeframe up massively.

They just need to be reacting a lot faster. Why the Marshalls weren't standing there ready to wedge the car as soon as it came to a stop? I can't understand.

Its not how the semi autos work. They always default to neutral as its both anti stall and the failsafe option. You can't have a revving engine suddenly finding 1st gear when the driver isn't ready or isn't even in the car.

The solution is already in place- chocks. The marshals just didn't react fast enough.

Abizzz

Its not how the semi autos work. They always default to neutral as its both anti stall and the failsafe option. You can't have a revving engine suddenly finding 1st gear when the driver isn't ready or isn't even in the car.
It didn't look so failsafe on sunday. Surely it could be made possible to shut of the engine while in gear. Not that shutting of the engine would help in case of a fire anyway...
The solution is already in place- chocks. The marshals just didn't react fast enough.
Chocks are an option, given events on sunday and the fact that you can't have marshalls every 5m at every track makes me think they should look into adding more options.

Last edited:

It didn't look so failsafe on sunday. Surely it could be made possible to shut of the engine while in gear. Not that shutting of the engine would help in case of a fire anyway...

Chocks are an option, given events on sunday and the fact that you can't have marshalls every 5m at every track makes me think they should look into adding more options.
Uncontrolled movements, possible engine and powertrain damage, marshals unable to move the car if its stuck in gear (thats probably the main reason).

The problems it would cause would be far more frequent than this single occurrence of a car rolling back a few feet.

Last edited:

hobbers

The chocks did nothing to stop Sainz car anyway, in the end it stopped because they steered it into the barrier.

Not sure if that was done by Sainz or the marshalls after he'd got out.

Chocks are useless if there's an inferno at the back of the car and you cant get close enough to wedge them in the back wheels.

Adam-Utd

The chocks did nothing to stop Sainz car anyway, in the end it stopped because they steered it into the barrier.

Not sure if that was done by Sainz or the marshalls after he'd got out.

Chocks are useless if there's an inferno at the back of the car and you cant get close enough to wedge them in the back wheels.
The chocks didn't work because the car was rolling as the Marshall tried to put it under the wheel. He ended up falling over and the car rode over it just as the camera cut away.

It was a comedy of errors - thankfully the car had a barrier close by to crash into. I had a horrible image in my head of a flaming ferrari rolling down back into the oncoming traffic :(

Traub

Looks like a South African Grand Prix will be in place from next year. Tickets will cost about 300 euros - is that the normal price (I'm definitely going to try get)?

ArjenIsM3

What do you lot think about Mercs response to Russell crashing into Perez? Haven't read much about it on here. Shovlin basically said "he was on the curb so he left enough space" and Wolff said "he had full steering lock so not much he could do" with both statements being half truths at best, apologetic bollocks at worst. You can be on the curb (he was at one point) and have full steering lock (he might have at one point) but if you carry too much speed, hit the curb too hard or accelerate out of the corner too hard and then bounce or understeer into an opponent who is ahead of you you're obviously still in the wrong. It also ended the race for Perez while Russell in the end gained a position from his mistake. These are exactly the kind of statements that Horner would get a lot of flack for on here in my opinion.

Adam-Utd

What do you lot think about Mercs response to Russell crashing into Perez? Haven't read much about it on here. Shovlin basically said "he was on the curb so he left enough space" and Wolff said "he had full steering lock so not much he could do" with both statements being half truths at best, apologetic bollocks at worst. You can be on the curb (he was at one point) and have full steering lock (he might have at one point) but if you carry too much speed, hit the curb too hard or accelerate out of the corner too hard and then bounce or understeer into an opponent who is ahead of you you're obviously still in the wrong. It also ended the race for Perez while Russell in the end gained a position from his mistake. These are exactly the kind of statements that Horner would get a lot of flack for on here in my opinion.
Watch Russells onboard. He did nothing wrong.

He is allowed to be on the track, he took the corner as best as possible but with a full tank of fuel and cold tyres, you'll naturally understeer.

Perez braked late and put himself in the path of danger, thats the risk. All this "he was ahead" is total BS, it doesn't matter if you stick your nose ahead for a moment just because you braked later. By this stage Russell has already committed, you can't do anything to avoid contact by that point. Perez does this A LOT. He sticks his cars in dangerous positons and hopes for the best, sometimes he gets away with it.

Funnily enough Helmut Marko actually criticised him too. Awkward :wenger:

https://racingnews365.com/red-bull-critical-of-perezs-driving-we-told-him-not-to-do-that

avgp_1

Russell clearly understeered and hit him but was a first lap racing incident. Perez should have been smarter and avoided first lap heroics and bided his time. He had much more to lose