g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

F1 2022 Season

hobbers

What do you lot think about Mercs response to Russell crashing into Perez? Haven't read much about it on here. Shovlin basically said "he was on the curb so he left enough space" and Wolff said "he had full steering lock so not much he could do" with both statements being half truths at best, apologetic bollocks at worst. You can be on the curb (he was at one point) and have full steering lock (he might have at one point) but if you carry too much speed, hit the curb too hard or accelerate out of the corner too hard and then bounce or understeer into an opponent who is ahead of you you're obviously still in the wrong. It also ended the race for Perez while Russell in the end gained a position from his mistake. These are exactly the kind of statements that Horner would get a lot of flack for on here in my opinion.
Russell only got a 5 second penalty and comfortably finished fourth and Perez ended up out of the race entirely, so whatever you make of the driving, whining about the penalty seems babyish.

On the other hand going around the outside on that corner has proven probably about a dozen times now to be a fools errand.

But then a lot of the same people who tell you George did nothing wrong there will also tell you Max should have had a penalty for 'forcing' Mick off at Silverstone around the outside of Brooklands, another fools errand place to try and pass. And it's a safe bet if you swapped Perez and Russell around in Austria opinions on whether it should have been a penalty would also flip on a dime.

ArjenIsM3

Watch Russells onboard. He did nothing wrong.

He is allowed to be on the track, he took the corner as best as possible but with a full tank of fuel and cold tyres, you'll naturally understeer.

Perez braked late and put himself in the path of danger, thats the risk. All this "he was ahead" is total BS, it doesn't matter if you stick your nose ahead for a moment just because you braked later. By this stage Russell has already committed, you can't do anything to avoid contact by that point. Perez does this A LOT. He sticks his cars in dangerous positons and hopes for the best, sometimes he gets away with it.

Funnily enough Helmut Marko actually criticised him too. Awkward :wenger:

https://racingnews365.com/red-bull-critical-of-perezs-driving-we-told-him-not-to-do-that
Helmut Marko criticized him yeah saying it cannot be done and while yes it has gone wrong there before it's definitely been done successfully. Sure he took a risk and he could have been more patient as @avgp_1 says but I don't agree with Marko here and judging by his comments neither does Horner. The (British) pundits didn't agree with Marko either. Even they thought Russell was at fault there after watching the replay.

I've watched the onboards plenty of times and disagree. He bounced off the curb and subsequently understeered into Perez who was ahead at the apex. He could have avoided that by not carrying as much speed going into the corner or not hitting the curb as much. Having cold tyres and a full tank isn't really an excuse is it? I mean, if you crash into the back of someone going into turn 1 do you then say "oh but that's not his fault, he had cold tyres and a full tank"? No you expect the driver to account for those factors and the same goes for Russell here.

hobbers

Given the penalties that Norris and Hamilton were handed for hitting or forcing someone off at the same corner the last 2-3 seasons running, to not give George a penalty there would have looked like insanity.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
@ArjenIsM3 I dont agree personally. I didn’t agree with hamilton getting a penalty with Albon either.

Trying to brake late around a car that’s already in the braking zone just makes it extremely difficult to avoid contact. On a right handed corner if somebody is taking a tight line you need to give more room. Perez came across too tight too early.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
What do you lot think about Mercs response to Russell crashing into Perez? Haven't read much about it on here. Shovlin basically said "he was on the curb so he left enough space" and Wolff said "he had full steering lock so not much he could do" with both statements being half truths at best, apologetic bollocks at worst. You can be on the curb (he was at one point) and have full steering lock (he might have at one point) but if you carry too much speed, hit the curb too hard or accelerate out of the corner too hard and then bounce or understeer into an opponent who is ahead of you you're obviously still in the wrong. It also ended the race for Perez while Russell in the end gained a position from his mistake. These are exactly the kind of statements that Horner would get a lot of flack for on here in my opinion.
Horner could make a statement about how to cure cancer and a dozen people in here would give him flack for smiling too much while doing it.

dinostar77

Michael Masi has left the FIA.

Should have been fired awhile ago. Will live on in infamy within motorsports circles for a long while yet.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I wonder if Ricardo has any regrets of leaving Renault for McLaren. He seemed on his way to a good thing with them and I don’t doubt he’d probably have multiple race wins by now (instead of the one with McLaren) if he’d stayed as they would have built the car around him.

McLaren were obviously building around Lando which was fine for the long term, but it appears that they’re continuing to do so despite Lando not really improving himself over the last few years. They’re now stuck with a proven race winner in a car that doesn’t suit and paying him an absolute fortune to race around mid-pack.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think Russell has made a couple of mistakes which have had disastrous consequences for other drivers in the last 2 races. I don't think he should have had a disastrous punishment for them though because sometimes it's just bad luck that the consequences can be much more severe than the magnitude of the mistake. In fairness he also got disqualified for running over to see if he could help Zhou at Silverstone as well so I think he's actually been punished quite severely as it happens.

For me they go down as "one of those things" but you keep an eye on it. I'm not sure there's a body of evidence there that suggests he has had any malicious intentions or is a dangerous driver just yet. He's basically had impeccable races up to Silverstone in terms of mistakes or dangerous driving this season in my book.

redshaw

I agree with Marko, we've seen a few drivers come unstuck there and Red Bull have the pace to dispatch Merc at other places on the track. It was foolish to try that move early on as you're asking a driver to make an impossible turn. Perhaps if you can get ahead much earlier in the lead up the other driver can make adjustments.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I wonder if Ricardo has any regrets of leaving Renault for McLaren. He seemed on his way to a good thing with them and I don’t doubt he’d probably have multiple race wins by now (instead of the one with McLaren) if he’d stayed as they would have built the car around him.

McLaren were obviously building around Lando which was fine for the long term, but it appears that they’re continuing to do so despite Lando not really improving himself over the last few years. They’re now stuck with a proven race winner in a car that doesn’t suit and paying him an absolute fortune to race around mid-pack.
Huh? He's consistently best of the rest and last year got 4 podiums and this year has one already which is consistently more than the drivers beneath him. Mclaren isn't better than Merc/Ferrari/Red Bull so the best he can do is mix it with all of these teams which he does.

dinostar77

In hindsight it was a mistake. Lando has become Mclaren no1 driver. Although the car hasnt been great this season. Staying at Renualt might have been the better call, but its negligible either way. Neither team has done anything so far. I think Riccardo looked at Hamiltons move to Mercedes and was hoping for something similar with renault.

Personally i think Riccardo will be axed by McLaren at the end of this season.

Adam-Utd

Huh? He's consistently best of the rest and last year got 4 podiums and this year has one already which is consistently more than the drivers beneath him. Mclaren isn't better than Merc/Ferrari/Red Bull so the best he can do is mix it with all of these teams which he does.
:lol: mad isn't it. I really do wonder how people form their opinions sometimes. He's been the best driver outside Merc/RB/Ferrari for the last 2 seasons.

With luck more on his side he could have potentially won both Belgium and Russia last season. His defensive ability to hold off Hamilton earned Ricciardo a win and his team a 1-2 at Monza.

If Mclaren don't give him a proper car next year, I suspect he will be looking to replace Hamilton at Mercedes.

pauldyson1uk

:lol: mad isn't it. I really do wonder how people form their opinions sometimes. He's been the best driver outside Merc/RB/Ferrari for the last 2 seasons.

With luck more on his side he could have potentially won both Belgium and Russia last season. His defensive ability to hold off Hamilton earned Ricciardo a win and his team a 1-2 at Monza.

If Mclaren don't give him a proper car next year, I suspect he will be looking to replace Hamilton at Mercedes.
I have Lando has best of the rest, his results have been pretty consistent.
I agree that if McLaren dont give him a good car, he will want off, to replace Lewis at Mercedes, its a possibility, but to be honest, I dont see Lewis hanging his driving boots up for 2 maybe 3 seasons yet.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I agree that if McLaren dont give him a good car, he will want off, to replace Lewis at Mercedes, its a possibility, but to be honest, I dont see Lewis hanging his driving boots up for 2 maybe 3 seasons yet.
I would take Ocon, Alonso, Vettel over him. But he is right there after them for sure, annoyingly!

Adam-Utd

I would take Ocon, Alonso, Vettel over him. But he is right there after them for sure, annoyingly!
Alonso i'll give you he's still right up there, but Ocon and Vettel :lol: ffs

They'll be lucky to both be in their own teams next year let alone ahead of Norris

mariachi-19

I didn’t call him shit - but he’s not evolving. He’s not elevating that team in the same way George did with Williams. He’s consistent but a bit like Button, I don’t see the same spark/X factor. Just a solid driver.

pauldyson1uk

Marshals at the Red Bull Ring have responded to criticism that they were late to the scene of Carlos Sainz' dramatic retirement during the Austrian Grand Prix after his Ferrari caught fire.

The F1-75 suffered a catastrophic engine failure while chasing down Max Verstappen for second place with 16 laps remaining.

He was forced to pull over and stop the car in turn 4, but as flames erupted form the back of the car Sainz found himself unable to climb free of the cockpit because of the need to keep his foot on the brakes.

He feared that if he didn't then the car would roll back down the incline and into the path of oncoming cars. Only as the marshals finally arrived with blocks to put under the wheels was he able to jump clear.

At the time, Sainz was clearly unhappy with how long he has been forced to wait in the burning car before the marshals arrived.

“I was calling the marshals to come and help me, to put something on the tyres to stop the car rolling down but I think the whole process was a bit slow," he said on the day.

"At some point, there was so much fire that I had to really get a move on and jump out independently. I think it was just at that time that the first marshal arrived and stopped the car."

The official safety crew at the circuit has now issued a statement explaining why the response had appeared slow, saying that all procedures had been followed correctly.

“After the terrible accident of Jules Bianchi in 2014, the FIA's rules regarding recoveries and interventions on the track have been drastically tightened,” the statement said.

Marshals at the Red Bull Ring have responded to criticism that they were late to the scene of Carlos Sainz' dramatic retirement during the Austrian Grand Prix after his Ferrari caught fire.

The F1-75 suffered a catastrophic engine failure while chasing down Max Verstappen for second place with 16 laps remaining.

He was forced to pull over and stop the car in turn 4, but as flames erupted form the back of the car Sainz found himself unable to climb free of the cockpit because of the need to keep his foot on the brakes

He feared that if he didn't then the car would roll back down the incline and into the path of oncoming cars. Only as the marshals finally arrived with blocks to put under the wheels was he able to jump clear.

At the time, Sainz was clearly unhappy with how long he has been forced to wait in the burning car before the marshals arrived.

“I was calling the marshals to come and help me, to put something on the tyres to stop the car rolling down but I think the whole process was a bit slow," he said on the day.

"At some point, there was so much fire that I had to really get a move on and jump out independently. I think it was just at that time that the first marshal arrived and stopped the car."

The official safety crew at the circuit has now issued a statement explaining why the response had appeared slow, saying that all procedures had been followed correctly.

“After the terrible accident of Jules Bianchi in 2014, the FIA's rules regarding recoveries and interventions on the track have been drastically tightened,” the statement said.

“Intervention is only allowed after instructions from race control.

"On the one hand, this naturally increases the safety of the drivers and marshals, but on the other hand, it has the disadvantage that interventions take a little longer.

“Several unfortunate circumstances came together,” it continued. “The place where Sainz parked the Ferrari was not visible from the marshals' stand.

"They received instructions over the radio to go to the car with fire extinguishers, and when they saw the situation, they made the decision to call in the fire engine.

“This decision had to be made within seconds and, in retrospect, was absolutely correct. If you remember Grosjean's accident [at Bahrain in 2020], in a situation like that, hand-held fire extinguishers are absolutely not enough.

"Therefore, the fire extinguisher was turned off and the car was
, which led to that unfortunate image on TV of the marshal 'running away'.

“Another problem was that Sainz, understandably, became nervous in the vehicle and went off the brakes too early. The wedge had to be pushed under the rolling vehicle, which of course made the whole thing extremely difficult.

“We had a fire engine on the scene in less than 30 seconds, which would have brought a fast-spreading fire under control.

"Since Grosjean's accident, it is very important for us to have a lot of 'extinguishing power' on the spot immediately in order to protect the driver in the best possible way.

Austria marshals explain slow response to Sainz fire (f1i.com)

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
completely agree with the marshalls. like with anything, you ignore the clear and present danger and you worry about what might happen and you cover off the worst possibility. like those brave uvalde policemen, bravely standing guard outside in case an even more deranged assailant turned up to kill even more kids or a doctor turned up and tried to let any of them get an abortion.

Agree that Norris has been best of the rest, but i think with having a proven driver in Ricciardo fail, McLaren will wonder whether Norris is genuinely good enough to build the team around or is it luck that the car fits him perfectly at the moment.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

ArjenIsM3

For feck sake, identity these people and kick them the feck out.

AM should be suspended until they have taken clear and definitive action. The responsibility lies with them.
Well if you read the article that's exactly what AM did. Says they have a zero tolerance policy and the people in question no longer work there.

dinostar77

BBC F1

"..Ricciardo's future has been the subject of speculation since McLaren Racing chief executive Zak Brown said last month that his time with the team had not met expectations.

McLaren have been exploring their options in case Ricciardo left the team at the end of the season..."

They have considered Williams driver Alex Albon and Alpine reserve Oscar Piastri, and Aston Martin's Sebastian Vettel has also been linked to the team...."

Comment: Not sure who out of those three i'd want to partner lando. Giving the young lad Piastri a chance probably the best call. I think riccardo can say what he wants, mclaren will axe him end of this season. Hes been awful this year.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Yep I think his days are numbered. This year it feels like he's not been as bad as last year, when he was really awful. The car being pretty shit this season has helped masked how bad he has been as it's not been Lando challenging in the top 5 like he was last year most races with Danny Ric struggling to make the top 10. I don't see him remaining in F1.

avgp_1

BBC F1

"..Ricciardo's future has been the subject of speculation since McLaren Racing chief executive Zak Brown said last month that his time with the team had not met expectations.

McLaren have been exploring their options in case Ricciardo left the team at the end of the season..."

They have considered Williams driver Alex Albon and Alpine reserve Oscar Piastri, and Aston Martin's Sebastian Vettel has also been linked to the team...."

Comment: Not sure who out of those three i'd want to partner lando. Giving the young lad Piastri a chance probably the best call. I think riccardo can say what he wants, mclaren will axe him end of this season. Hes been awful this year.
The issue with Ricciardo is the money he is on and his performances do not reflect that. I can't see Vettel, Albon, Palou doing much better against Norris either. Piastri is exciting but doubt Alpine would let him go

McLaren is a strange car this year, can't really judge it's pace on the grid. Somewhere just behind Alpine maybe but then has races when it's around Alfa and AT.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Vettel would be great for Norris. He can have a laugh but he’s so mature and an excellent head for Norris to prosper from.

vangagal

I think with the way Mclaren are going by focusing their car development around Norris it would be hard for 2nd driver no matter whom it is.
Not help by their car development which seems stagnant this year if not move backward.

mariachi-19

Yep I think his days are numbered. This year it feels like he's not been as bad as last year, when he was really awful. The car being pretty shit this season has helped masked how bad he has been as it's not been Lando challenging in the top 5 like he was last year most races with Danny Ric struggling to make the top 10. I don't see him remaining in F1.
He’s legitimately one of the best drivers in F1. Not being able to perform in a car that has been focused on the other driver is not unexpected. He won’t struggle to find a gig, he’ll just need to take a pay cut. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up at Alfa.

The ridiculous thing is that McLaren were better when they had both Lando and Sainz working as a unit.

F-Red

Ferrari looking strong already this weekend. 10 grid penalty already for Sainz on Sunday due to a third control electronics component fitted, depending on how qualifying goes Ferrari may elect to take a further hit with some other components.