F1 2022 Season

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
No team or organisation on the planet more able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like Scuderia Ferrari

They make United look competent.

hobbers

Pitting Sainz wasn't the mistake. The mistake was pitting him with like 12 laps left instead of 20, and wasting time and tyres fighting with Russell and Perez.

If he wasn't going to pull 5 seconds ahead of Perez he'd finish 4th for 12 points, but massive risk the tyre goes.

With pitting he gets 5th and 11 points and no risk. Binotto is right about that at least. Even though the pit stop was hopelessly late and their lack of ability to make any decision under pressure is shown up again.

laughtersassassin

I think they have the edge in quali. But on race day, the two cars are very evenly matched and it’s circuit to circuit.
Fair I just think more races than not they are quicker.

For me Red Bull quicker I'm Saudi, Miami, Imola, Baku and probably Silverstone.

And unless I'm forgetting any think Ferrari where quicker than the rest off top of my head.

dinostar77

No team or organisation on the planet more able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like Scuderia Ferrari

They make United look competent.
I think RB are getting bored with ferrari incompetence, even Maxs race engineer came on to say something like that was entertaining until leclerc crashed out.

RB didnt really celebrate that too much. Think they know winning the constructors and wdc are inevitable for them.

Huge weekend for ferrari and leclerc next weekend. On paper, hungaroring should suit the ferraris and it should be damage limitation for the RBs. However it is ferrari we are talking about.

Also be interesting to see what Mercedes car turns up, one thats closer to RB and Ferrari or one thats further away. Its bizarre.

hobbers

Sainz finished about 11 seconds behind Perez. Had they pitted him with 20 laps to go he easily finishes 4th with fastest lap, probably on the podium.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
Leclerc still too error prone, but Ferrari haven't been helping either. I still think Ferrari have the best car both on qualy and raceday, but they always make mistakes strategy wise or driver error. I have a feeling the championship was decided today. There's no way Ferrari can be perfect the rest of the year, which they need to be if they want to win.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Too much is being made out of one error from Leclerc, made on shite tires. Even today's mistake(which he admit) was partly down to Ferrari avoiding pitting him for some reason, what the feck were they waiting once Verstappen did his pit?

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Too much is being made out of one error from Leclerc, made on shite tires. Even today's mistake(which he admit) was partly down to Ferrari avoiding pitting him for some reason, what the feck were they waiting once Verstappen did his pit?
It’s not just one error though. There’s been a few now. It doesn’t make Leclerc a bad driver. It just means he might not be in that tier that Hamilton and Max are presently in. In the title scrap last year, neither driver made many errors in any racing condition be it worn tyres or not. And that was at the height of an intense, close championship at the business end. I’m not saying Leclerc doesn’t have the potential, he hasn’t been in a title fight yet so he’s still inexperienced. But he’s showing he is not quite there yet.

JuriM

It’s not just one error though. There’s been a few now. It doesn’t make Leclerc a bad driver. It just means he might not be in that tier that Hamilton and Max are presently in. In the title scrap last year, neither driver made many errors in any racing condition be it worn tyres or not. And that was at the height of an intense, close championship at the business end. I’m not saying Leclerc doesn’t have the potential, he hasn’t been in a title fight yet so he’s still inexperienced. But he’s showing he is not quite there yet.
Honest, but to defend Leclerc a bit, neither Max nor Lewis have had to deal with such an unreliable car and really bad team's race management which causes him to lose a lot races and points.

redshaw

I really thought Ferrari should've pitted Leclerc and covered Max, perhaps that mistake doesn't happen but he should also handle the pressure and not try to do too much on poor tyres, it's a tough one.

Maybe Red Bull are happy enough with Perez to not interfere with Max but they must be thinking they can improve a bit for constructors and strategy for next season. He's battling with a troubled Merc, 10 seconds off Lewis in the other one. On pace he'd be 6th.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
It amazing that the last time Ferrari were the best team in the land, it was run by a little frenchmen.

I will say this to the day I die, Ferrari will only be competitve when the Italian's aren't running the show. It's even sadder what's happened to Michael as I reckon he'd be running the show by now.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
It amazing that the last time Ferrari were the best team in the land, it was run by a little frenchmen.

I will say this to the day I die, Ferrari will only be competitve when the Italian's aren't running the show. It's even sadder what's happened to Michael as I reckon he'd be running the show by now.
Would have been amazing to see.

dinostar77

I have to agree. Ross Brawn, Jean Todt cut through all the political crap. They also shielded Michael from all the media madness. Michael in turn made ferrari less ferrari and more into a ruthless effcient machine. Rory Byrne designed some great cars. None were italian.

I know how it comes across and i hope its no longer true, but ferrari seem to need non Italians in positions of power to help ferrari be the team they need to be to win titles.

hp88

Yeah Binotto will be the fall guy at some point, sure Arrivabene got sacked following Vettel back to back failures to win the WDC.

RoadTrip

Honest, but to defend Leclerc a bit, neither Max nor Lewis have had to deal with such an unreliable car and really bad team's race management which causes him to lose a lot races and points.
I mean, Max has also dealt with a fairly unreliable car this year too. And on strategy, Merc were awful at times last year too. And in any case, I don’t feel like car reliability should play a huge part in your consistency to not make driver errors. I can see why it might (more pressure in races as you know there is a risk of future reliability issues), but I don’t think it’s a huge factor and I’m sure if we dug hard enough there’s probably unique pressures that apply to Max and Lewis too.

I don’t think we should write Leclerc off. What I’m really saying is that this year might be a year to go through all this and gain that experience, with next year (assuming Ferrari remain competitive) being the year he puts it all together to give Max a real run for it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Hamilton crashed his car in the qualifiers just few weeks ago. Max looks to be most consistent this year without a doubt.

RoadTrip

Hamilton crashed his car in the qualifiers just few weeks ago. Max looks to be most consistent this year without a doubt.
One crash at Austria in qualifying, I wouldn’t say it’s quite the same thing. But either way, last year when it mattered, I can’t think of many times they put a foot wrong. Either of them. Maybe Max at Jeddah.

It’s really laughable at this point to argue Leclerc is in the same category as Hamilton, Alonso and Verstappen in terms of know-how and consistency. He could be next year though.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Everyone is blaming Ferrari (and rightly so) but Le Clerc said himself he'd be 32 points closer to Verstappen if it wasn't for his own feck ups so even if their car was more reliable he clearly hasn't had the consistency and guile to keep up with Verstappen.

Carl

One crash at Austria in qualifying, I wouldn’t say it’s quite the same thing. But either way, last year when it mattered, I can’t think of many times they put a foot wrong. Either of them. Maybe Max at Jeddah.

It’s really laughable at this point to argue Leclerc is in the same category as Hamilton, Alonso and Verstappen in terms of know-how and consistency. He could be next year though.
Hamilton binning a standing start for a guaranteed podium in Azerbaijan after Max had already crashed out. It cost him the title.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Leclerc wants it too much. We have seen that problem with Hamilton and Verstappen early on in their careers too but they mellowed out and rarely make mistakes that cost them titles or wins. He'll learn but seems nailed on for Max to get his 2nd title sadly.

Leg-End

Hamilton binning a standing start for a guaranteed podium in Azerbaijan after Max had already crashed out. It cost him the title.
That was when he flicked "brake magic" on by mistake, driver error obviously but not quite comparable.

And something else cost him the title.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Leclerc wants it too much. We have seen that problem with Hamilton and Verstappen early on in their careers too but they mellowed out and rarely make mistakes that cost them titles or wins. He'll learn but seems nailed on for Max to get his 2nd title sadly.
Yeah I definitely think he's too hard on himself and tries too hard to be perfect. He's not happy to win at 90% if you get me? he can't win a race by 3 seconds, he has to win by 8 etc.

Obviously at that moment it was crucial as he was trying to build a gap to Verstappen before he pitted, but he pushes that little bit too hard. When he relaxes he's bloody fast anyway.

It's a shame as this year had real potential to match up to last years title fight, but it'll end in a wimper now unless RB has a serious collapse.

I hope Leclerc will use the rest of the season now to try and tame himself a little and learn for next year.

Doracle

I think the Ferrari decision to stop wasn't quite as stupid as it looked at the time.

I don't think Sainz had the life in his tyres to pull 5s away from the other two to cover the penalty, so he would have been P5 either way, and with the stop he gained the fastest lap point as well.
Wasn’t the main error pitting him under the first SC, to change from hards to mediums? That completely destroyed his strategy as he would have presumably otherwise run much longer on the hards, and would have only had to stop once.

Carl

That was when he flicked "brake magic" on by mistake, driver error obviously but not quite comparable.

And something else cost him the title.
"When it mattered they didn't put a foot wrong". I'd say that mattered, and was a massive foot wrong.

And sure, the farce on the last race cost him the title. Had Lewis not binned it in Azerbaijan though then it wouldn't have mattered.

Not dissing Lewis btw. He's in GOAT conversations for me. I just disagreed with that part of that post.

Carl

Aye. Championship is already over. Still though, I think this season has been really good so far.