F1 2022 Season

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Leclerc wants it too much. We have seen that problem with Hamilton and Verstappen early on in their careers too but they mellowed out and rarely make mistakes that cost them titles or wins. He'll learn but seems nailed on for Max to get his 2nd title sadly.
Aye. Championship is already over. Still though, I think this season has been really good so far.

pauldyson1uk

Christian Horner has demanded the FIA investigate Virtual Safety Car restarts after George Russell secured a podium at the French Grand Prix. The Red Bull boss revealed Perez did not get the correct VSC data in his car, used to tell a driver to slow down or speed up.

Meanwhile, Russell timed the end of the VSC perfectly to make the pass and grab a podium. He backed off in the initial phase before speeding up just as the VSC was withdrawn to catch Perez off-guard and sweep around the outside of turn 14.

But, Horner has called for the FIA to "explore" the issue to stop similar incidents happening again. Speaking to Motorsport.com, Horner said: "What was frustrating for him is there was an issue in race control with the safety car, the VSC, because they couldn't turn it off, so they had to do a reset.

"Just talking with him, he said he wasn't getting the delta in his car, so he was bang on his delta. George either pre-empted it but was within the delta, or maybe the information to the two cars was different.

"We have to go and explore that. Yeah, it was frustrating, because I think he would have had the pace to hold him off for a double podium."

Christian Horner calls for FIA investigation after George Russell podium (msn.com)

Have the FIA not already said there was a software issue ?

Leg-End

"When it mattered they didn't put a foot wrong". I'd say that mattered, and was a massive foot wrong.

And sure, the farce on the last race cost him the title. Had Lewis not binned it in Azerbaijan though then it wouldn't have mattered.

Not dissing Lewis btw. He's in GOAT conversations for me. I just disagreed with that part of that post.
Agreed, I think for me it's just it wasn't really a driver error in the true sense of the word. Flicking a button on your wheel is just unfortunate, if he had just locked up of his own accord then yes it's pure driver error.

laughtersassassin

Agreed, I think for me it's just it wasn't really a driver error in the true sense of the word. Flicking a button on your wheel is just unfortunate, if he had just locked up of his own accord then yes it's pure driver error.
Considering its not a toggle that was left on and it's a press and hold button it is for sure a driver error.

He knew what was at stake and he fecked it up at the end of the day. He wanted that P1 just a bit too much and it got to him.

Mistakes happen and that was a big one.

Leg-End

Considering its not a toggle that was left on and it's a press and hold button it is for sure a driver error.

He knew what was at stake and he fecked it up at the end of the day. He wanted that P1 just a bit too much and it got to him.

Mistakes happen and that was a big one.
Was it confirmed a press and hold button? I’m pretty certain they changed it after that incident, it was a toggle and he knocked it on at the start, or atleast that’s what I remember happening. They then built a shroud around it so it wouldn’t happen again, I’m almost certain it wasn’t a press and hold.

dinostar77

"When it mattered they didn't put a foot wrong". I'd say that mattered, and was a massive foot wrong.

And sure, the farce on the last race cost him the title. Had Lewis not binned it in Azerbaijan though then it wouldn't have mattered.

Not dissing Lewis btw. He's in GOAT conversations for me. I just disagreed with that part of that post.
Azerbaijan wasnt the sole reason. Points awarded to max for a race that didnt happen in belgium last year contributed for sure. Theres many flashpoints in last year that could be examined and made a contribution that could have stopped the controversial end of season finish from happening.

Taking out Lewis's crash in qually i think you need to go back to germany back in 2018 when he last made a error in a race. Seb was in the ferrari at the time.

Leclerc does want it too much right now, max was the same last year, wanting it so badly that his racecraft was erratic to say the least. However a WC later and we seem to have a clamer more measured verstappen. Lewis became calmer and more measured after his first title win with Mercedes. Leclerc will be the same eventually.

Anyway, more concerning to ferrari should be that Jock Clear was brought to ferrari halfway through last season to help leclrec iron out his mistakes. Help him with his focus, mentality and clamness under pressure. Clearly something isnt right in the work they (leclerc and clear) are doing.

dinostar77

Was it confirmed a press and hold button? I’m pretty certain they changed it after that incident, it was a toggle and he knocked it on at the start, or atleast that’s what I remember happening. They then built a shroud around it so it wouldn’t happen again, I’m almost certain it wasn’t a press and hold.
It was a toggle that he knocked with his glove thats why they built a shroud over it afterwards.

laughtersassassin

Azerbaijan wasnt the sole reason. Points awarded to max for a race that didnt happen in belgium last year contributed for sure. Theres many flashpoints in last year that could be examined and made a contribution that could have stopped the controversial end of season finish from happening.

Taking out Lewis's crash in qually i think you need to go back to germany back in 2018 when he last made a error in a race. Seb was in the ferrari at the time.

Leclerc does want it too much right now, max was the same last year, wanting it so badly that his racecraft was erratic to say the least. However a WC later and we seem to have a clamer more measured verstappen. Lewis became calmer and more measured after his first title win with Mercedes. Leclerc will be the same eventually.

Anyway, more concerning to ferrari should be that Jock Clear was brought to ferrari halfway through last season to help leclrec iron out his mistakes. Help him with his focus, mentality and clamness under pressure. Clearly something isnt right in the work they (leclerc and clear) are doing.
Lewis made a massive error in Imola last year. Only saved by the fact Russell torpedoed Bottas allowing him to then unlap himself.

And then Baku as already mentioned is still his mistake.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I mean, the obvious answer to the Lewis stuff is after Baku he could still gain 400+ points in subsequent races. There were no more points to gain after the Masi shitshow.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
One crash at Austria in qualifying, I wouldn’t say it’s quite the same thing. But either way, last year when it mattered, I can’t think of many times they put a foot wrong. Either of them. Maybe Max at Jeddah.

It’s really laughable at this point to argue Leclerc is in the same category as Hamilton, Alonso and Verstappen in terms of know-how and consistency. He could be next year though.
It's pretty much the same thing. It's actually even worse since Hamilton was in perfect condition with new tires and qualifying car, while Leclerc was under pressure from his team that let him make fastest laps on finished tires.

I am not arguing that he is in same category like thise drivers, what are you on about? I am just saying that only Max is better driver this year on form than him(at least from those up front), but also has far better team behind himself which helps a lot.

laughtersassassin

One thing I've missed this year is a lack of strategy wins. We had some great ones last year.

Spain, France, COTA.

Monaco was one this year but just due to the nature of the track it didn't feel as satisfying as seeing the Ones above executed to perfection.

Hal9000

The funny thing is Max has done the same thing, so many times in his career. Thrown it up on the inside on high speed corners, missing apex's.. The difference is that other drivers back out.

Rumors are that Perez was running the new floor that complies with the new TD that comes in after the summer break. Its going to be an interesting second half of the season if that's true.

laughtersassassin

The funny thing is Max has done the same thing, so many times in his career. Thrown it up on the inside on high speed corners, missing apex's.. The difference is that other drivers back out.

Rumors are that Perez was running the new floor that complies with the new TD that comes in after the summer break. Its going to be an interesting second half of the season if that's true.
And if Max had crashed Lewis out and gained 25 points doing it while also taking 25 from Lewis people would have also went crazy. The fallout made perfect sense.

Red Bull aren't changing there floor for that TD mate by all reports. So far it's only Ferrari officially confirmed to be changing anything.

Checo had different floor fences to Max but that's got nothing to do with the TD.

Most of the time Checo is just slower than Max. It's hardly surprising.

No one reliable has reported that Checo was using a floor to test the TD. It's all Twitter rumours.

Maybe Red Bull are lying and they will be effected but there is no evidence to that yet.

F-Red

Lots of rumours circulating around the 2023 provisional calendar, which might be released during the Summer break. Paul Ricard and Spa look to be the casualties for next year, the latter forming a rotational GP potentially every other year.

mitChley

Lots of rumours circulating around the 2023 provisional calendar, which might be released during the Summer break. Paul Ricard and Spa look to be the casualties for next year, the latter forming a rotational GP potentially every other year.
Damn shame to lose Spa as a permanent fixture, Paul Ricard can get in the bin though.

Leg-End

F1 losing Spa again is just ridiculous, how are you going to have a track like that fall off a calendar.......oh yeah, money, as always.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Fair enough really, they've presumably got to make room for the Dubai Grand Prix, the Kuwait Grand Prix, the Arabian Grand Prix, the Middle-Eastern Grand Prix and the West Asian Grand Prix in the next few seasons.

pauldyson1uk

the rolling eyes was at the attempted murder comment.
Lewis was rightly penalized. That should be the end of it, but It will be mentioned for many years.
If Perez was indeed running the new spec floor, that is not a good sign for RB. Max will be seething if his car if affected in the same way. Horner did say that the floor was perfect and needed nothing done.
I wonder how Ferrari will handle the new floor when they bring it in.

OK let me throw this out, if Perez was running the new floor and Max was the old one and after the summer break they both run the new spec floor , the same with Ferrari and Mercedes dont have to change anything, does this put Russell and Lewis back in with a chance or are they already too far back?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Sorry but if Spa is dropped then feck Liberty and this bullshit Americanisation.

Hal9000

And if Max had crashed Lewis out and gained 25 points doing it while also taking 25 from Lewis people would have also went crazy. The fallout made perfect sense.

Red Bull aren't changing there floor for that TD mate by all reports. So far it's only Ferrari officially confirmed to be changing anything.

Checo had different floor fences to Max but that's got nothing to do with the TD.

Most of the time Checo is just slower than Max. It's hardly surprising.

No one reliable has reported that Checo was using a floor to test the TD. It's all Twitter rumours.

Maybe Red Bull are lying and they will be effected but there is no evidence to that yet.
I think more fans would be sensible enough not to report this "attempted murder" or repeating the dramatics of Horner last year. I mean Max did park his car on top of Lewis Halo last year and did, essentially, break check him. How many times did Lewis avoid Max last year? Imagine if Lewis kept his line at Brazil last year. Max would of got a nice T-Bone at high speed. I think you missed the point, that Max has put other drivers in that position a huge amount of times, and they back off. Max did not back off. I agree the move was Lewis fault but to call it attempted murder is dramatic rubbish that Max fans want to repeat.

Yes Checo is slower than Max, but have you seen anytime this season where Lewis is pulling away from him? Or having to defend from a Merc? It was only two races ago he came back from near back of the grid to come 2nd.

As i said, if the rumours are true, it could be interesting. The re-arrangment of the fences can be all to do with either making the floor more solid in the places where it's flexing the skid plank, or redistribution of pressure away from areas that are causing the flexing. I found it weird that Perez was slow in practice with that new floor and they still ran the new floor the whole weekend. We'll see in Spa, as you said could be rumours but Perez pace yesterday vs how he has been all season.. something was up.

Hal9000

the rolling eyes was at the attempted murder comment.
Lewis was rightly penalized. That should be the end of it, but It will be mentioned for many years.
If Perez was indeed running the new spec floor, that is not a good sign for RB. Max will be seething if his car if affected in the same way. Horner did say that the floor was perfect and needed nothing done.
I wonder how Ferrari will handle the new floor when they bring it in.

OK let me throw this out, if Perez was running the new floor and Max was the old one and after the summer break they both run the new spec floor , the same with Ferrari and Mercedes dont have to change anything, does this put Russell and Lewis back in with a chance or are they already too far back?
To fair back.. Even if they change their floor i think Max will still be there or there abouts with the Mercs. Plus we'll get some bumpy street tracks that will probably bring Mercs bouncing back. I do think Merc/Lewis can beat the Ferrari's though, that's more to do with Ferrari reliability and wanting to sabotage themselves.

ArjenIsM3

Wonder if Red Bull are more focussed on the 2023 car right now. Their updates havent been very significant, small changes only, and apart from reliability I think the car just isn't as good as the Ferrari. Ferrari have had the one lap pace all season, have massively improved their top speed by implementing the Red Bull style wing and for the past few races their tyre degradation was better than RB too. Reliability (both from the car and the drivers) is really the main reason Red Bull and Max are where they are so I be too comfortable if I were Red Bull. Especially now that Mercedes are regularly making significant improvements and while their one lap pace isn't there yet their reliability is second to none and their race pace is good too.

pauldyson1uk

To fair back.. Even if they change their floor i think Max will still be there or there abouts with the Mercs. Plus we'll get some bumpy street tracks that will probably bring Mercs bouncing back. I do think Merc/Lewis can beat the Ferrari's though, that's more to do with Ferrari reliability and wanting to sabotage themselves.
To far back was my thought also.
Maybe they could have a chance with the constructors, I also think Lewis and maybe Russell will win races this season.

hobbers

Some fans do love deluding themselves huh. Just a bit of common sense needed. If Red bull had a new plank they have to run from Spa that made the car significantly slower why would they put it on Perez 3 races early and sacrifice so many points, and also hurt Max’s chances to win races?

They’d do what Ferrari are doing and maximise their constructors points before the TD comes in.

Also if Perez had a new floor it’d be visually easy to tell if his car had a different rake, and it would manifest in the speed traps, but his top speed was the same as Max.

The only way a Merc wins a race this year is if Max Charles and Sainz all have problems in the same race. Which is possible.

pauldyson1uk

Some fans do love deluding themselves huh. Just a bit of common sense needed. If Red bull had a new plank they have to run from Spa that made the car significantly slower why would they put it on Perez 3 races early and sacrifice so many points, and also hurt Max’s chances to win races?

They’d do what Ferrari are doing and maximise their constructors points before the TD comes in.

Also if Perez had a new floor it’d be visually easy to tell if his car had a different rake, and it would manifest in the speed traps, but his top speed was the same as Max.

The only way a Merc wins a race this year is if Max Charles and Sainz all have problems in the same race. Which is possible.
Not deluded, maybe wishful thinking.
I agree that Mercedes winning race will need DNF's from RB and Ferrari, to be honest, thats not really they way I would want them to win, but I would take it, Lewis's 3 podiums on the bounce has been because of DNF's

dinostar77

RedBull and Ferrari are going to make changes to their floors post belgium gp. They are the only two teams, fighting the new technical directive and any directives for floor changes for 2023 season. You wouldnt fight the TD that hard and threaten to take FIA to court if you didnt have serious performance loss with the TD.

Would appreciate any link to any articles that say Perez was running a new floor that complied with the TD. The rake of the car would need to change to comply with the TD as the front 25% of the plank cant wear down more that 1mm across the x/y axis therefore cant rake the rear suspension as high as usual. I didnt notice this during the gp. So as i said any links would be appreciated.

dinostar77

Wonder if Red Bull are more focussed on the 2023 car right now. Their updates havent been very significant, small changes only, and apart from reliability I think the car just isn't as good as the Ferrari. Ferrari have had the one lap pace all season, have massively improved their top speed by implementing the Red Bull style wing and for the past few races their tyre degradation was better than RB too. Reliability (both from the car and the drivers) is really the main reason Red Bull and Max are where they are so I be too comfortable if I were Red Bull. Especially now that Mercedes are regularly making significant improvements and while their one lap pace isn't there yet their reliability is second to none and their race pace is good too.
RB have used alot of their budget for this season already and are mainly focused on weight reduction as the car isnt as light as it could be. Also RB have lost some wind tunnel time and CAD time with the midseason allocation updates reflecting their status as top team in constructors at the moment.