F1 2022 Season

pauldyson1uk

dinostar77

Fernando Alonso to make shock move from Alpine to Aston Martin, joining on "multi-year deal" from 2023; Alonso will partner Lance Stroll after Sebastian Vettel confirmed retirement; Door open for Oscar Piastri to replace Alonso at Alpine
This really has shocked me, I did not think AM would go for him.

Fernando Alonso to join Aston Martin as Sebastian Vettel's replacement for Formula 1 2023 | F1 News (skysports.com)
I should have put a bet on. Knew Alonso would be the choice for AM. Sigh.

Stroll Senior, wants to make his son a WDC. Getting in former champions is one way to go about it, i.e. learning from them.

Cant wait to see what happens when one AM has got new upgrades and the other doesnt for a race weekend next season.

dinostar77

What a bizarre move. All the news has always been that Alpine love Alonso and all the help he gives them, he's been in good form this season and then he randomly takes a gigantic step backwards. Surely the move is to get rid of Ocon.
Theres been fallout between Alpine and Alonso recently. They werent offering him the deal he wanted and there were rumours of a amicable split at end of this season between them.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Theres been fallout between Alpine and Alonso recently. They werent offering him the deal he wanted and there were rumours of a amicable split at end of this season between them.
Think they were offering 1 year and he wanted more - which he's now got at Aston

Piastri probably deserves a seat somewhere this year and if Renault had a customer team for their engines I suspect he would have got one so perhaps not a bad thing for them to be able to give him a seat in Renault next season and Ocan is head of alonso this year anyway

telstar96

Alpine also backed themselves into a corner last year when they inexplicably gave Ocon a 3 year deal until the end of the 2024 season.

pauldyson1uk

I should have put a bet on. Knew Alonso would be the choice for AM. Sigh.

Stroll Senior, wants to make his son a WDC. Getting in former champions is one way to go about it, i.e. learning from them.

Cant wait to see what happens when one AM has got new upgrades and the other doesnt for a race weekend next season.
I can understand that, but lets be honest Lance is NEVER going to get even close to being a WDC.

F-Red

Surprising move given the timing of the decision. It’s clear that Alonso wanted a longer term deal and Alpine weren’t giving it. Aston Martin have the money and people to start making strides forward over the coming season, Dan Fallows has the competency to get that car further up the grid than what it’s currently doing.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I can understand that, but lets be honest Lance is NEVER going to get even close to being a WDC.
would take Aston developing a car a second a lap quicker than everybody else and the other Aston driver to act as his tail gunner all season... throw in a bit of luck and then perhaps just perhaps ... very unlikely but some crazy double diffuser type invention that catches everybody off guard and just about imaginable

stu_1992

Disappointing to see Alonso move to Aston Martin. My favourite driver but such an unlikeable team, who in addition to that are nowhere right now either.

pauldyson1uk

would take Aston developing a car a second a lap quicker than everybody else and the other Aston driver to act as his tail gunner all season... throw in a bit of luck and then perhaps just perhaps ... very unlikely but some crazy double diffuser type invention that catches everybody off guard and just about imaginable
Even with all you say coming together, it still wont happen.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Looking at the Grid for 2023 so far am I right in thinking

Red Bull - Max and Perez
Ferrari - Le Clerc and Sainz
Merc - Hamilton and Russell
Alpine - Ocan and Piastri
Aston - Alonso and Stoll
Mclaren - Norris and Potentially Ricciardo
Alfa Romeo - Bottas and TBC
Alpha Tauri - Gasly and TBC
Haas - Magnussen and TBC
Williams - TBC and TBC

Gut feel is that now Aston have gone for Alonso Ricciardo stays for a year as nobody else will match his wages

Zhou probably brings enough advertising to keep his seat

Schumacher could possibly move - Alfa Tauri might be the only real step up he can make this year?

Tsunoda has probably done enough to get a seat somewhere - willliams? - probably alongside latifi given the money he brings to the table

which leaves the last seat at haas - perhaps they will give fittipaldi a chance?

Certainly does not look like there will be much major movement this year

slyadams

The bolded was literally my original point - the poster I quoted had a go at me for suggesting that Horner and Wolff were equivalent morally.

I also would further suggest that Wolff's conduct last year went beyond the pale versus whatever anyone says in the media - pushing a race director to not deploy a safety car so as to advantage your own team is fecking ridiculous and unacceptable. Racing is obviously dangerous but a team principal advocating for unsafe conditions to preserve an advantage is indefensible.

Again though, my point is that Horner would have done the exact same thing had the positions been reversed - I'm certainly not arguing that Horner is a saint, I'm arguing that he and Wolff are cut from the same cloth and anyone who thinks one is morally superior to the other is silly and biased.
That's not why I called you out at all, and you know it. You said:
They are equally bad and ridiculous and if you feel differently you are betraying your own bias, end of story
This was, and still is, a petulant position to take: "I'm right and if you disagree you're wrong". Its also almost certainly untrue because I disagree almost universally with the statement "they're both as bad as each other". Its a cop out people use all the time, very commonly with politicians and countries. Its almost never the case two things just happen to be perfectly equal.

I stand by my position Horner is a more odious character and as many in this thread have shown this isn't a unique opinion.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Alpine have a potential world class talent in Oscar Piastri waiting to get a drive - so it's not the end of the world for them.

Does seem a bit of a strange backwards/sideways move to go to AM, but he's obviously confident their 3d printer/scanner is going to be good next year.

pauldyson1uk

Red Bull - Max and Perez
Aston - Alonso and Stoll
Haas - Magnussen and TBC
Williams - TBC and TBC

Gut feel is that now Aston have gone for Alonso Ricciardo stays for a year as nobody else will match his wages

Schumacher could possibly move - Alfa Tauri might be the only real step up he can make this year?

Tsunoda has probably done enough to get a seat somewhere - willliams? - probably alongside latifi given the money he brings to the table

which leaves the last seat at haas - perhaps they will give fittipaldi a chance?

Piastri is I think nailed on for Alonso's seat.
Fittipaldi is an interesting choice, It would be good to see a Fittipaldi back on the F1 grid. Emerson Fittipaldi was a fantastic driver, Formula One World Championship and the Indianapolis 500 twice each and the CART championship once.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Alpine have a potential world class talent in Oscar Piastri waiting to get a drive - so it's not the end of the world for them.

Does seem a bit of a strange backwards/sideways move to go to AM, but he's obviously confident their 3d printer/scanner is going to be good next year.
Given Alonso's track record of picking which team to move to and when I'm less confident

Mike Smalling

Red Bull - Max and Perez
Aston - Alonso and Stoll
Haas - Magnussen and TBC
Williams - TBC and TBC

Schumacher to Alpha-Tauri would be a strange move, in my opinion. He is beginning to prove himself with Haas, and it's not like Alpha-Tauri have proven themselves to be much more competitive this year.

I'm not sure I agree on Tsunoda. Apart from a decent start his year he hasn't done much, and seems to have regressed over the last couple of months. He struggles with his temperament and unforced errors. Albon is certainly much more deserving of a seat, and Williams would be stupid to let him go.

Ahmer Baig

It was the only logical option available for Alonso. Realistically he is never going to any of the top 3 teams . Thats RBR , Mercedes and Ferrari . Mclaren isn't available for him ,and STR has a pool of youngsters from their. RBR program . Then there's Haas , Alfa , Williams and Aston Martin . Of those 4 ,I think Aston Martin has the best hope of going forward if they can get it right . Alpine made up their mind about Ocon and Piastri . Piastri has a good future, Ocon ,well we've seen his best and he cannot beat Alonso . So that left Alonso with Aston Martin as the only logical choice

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Schumacher to Alpha-Tauri would be a strange move, in my opinion. He is beginning to prove himself with Haas, and it's not like Alpha-Tauri have proven themselves to be much more competitive this year.

I'm not sure I agree on Tsunoda. Apart from a decent start his year he hasn't done much, and seems to have regressed over the last couple of months. He struggles with his temperament and unforced errors. Albon is certainly much more deserving of a seat, and Williams would be stupid to let him go.
I think alpha tauri has a lot more potential for next season - plus if (when) the porshe deal goes through I suspect having schumacher in their car would be desirable from their perspective
Given how good the Red Bull is this season and how many parts Alpha are likley to copy paste (legaly?) next year I can see them making a step up

I think Mclaren would consider schumacher if they could get rid of ricciardo but that looks unlikely next year so certainly possible he stays another year at haas

As for Albon I think hes better than latiffi just unfortunately for him he brings lot less money to the party

dinostar77

Red Bull - Max and Perez
Aston - Alonso and Stoll
Haas - Magnussen and TBC
Williams - TBC and TBC

Personally I'd say the only seats in doubt are the 2nd williams seat and danny rics seat (if he retires). Obviously until its confirmed the other alpine seat is open.

Tsunoda came to Alpha Tauri on behest of Honda. I might be wrong but i thought he would be there for awhile as it was part of the deal for the unbranded honda engines.

Zhou will keep his seat. China is a potential huge market for F1 and we havent had a Chinese GP yet with Zhou on the grid. Besides he seems to be doing ok.

I dont see schmacher leaving the ferrari stable anytime soon. Eventually he will get his chance in a ferrari, but he needs a few more seasons under his belt of learning.

Ahmer Baig

If he eventually has driven for every team on the grid, does he get a free move, loyalty card style?

hobbers

The only drivers who will lose their seat are Goatifi, and possibly Tsunoda if his form doesn’t pick up.

Ricciardo will only move on if he chooses to.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Albon will have a Williams seat next year. I think Mick will stay with Haas. Tsunoda is definitely in trouble at Alpha Tauri, he has not impressed lately and there's still question marks over his maturity. Zhou will get another year at Alfa Romeo and I'm not sure on Ricciardo, it seems McLaren want him to stay on another year and Ricciardo has said he's committed but a lot can change from now until the end of the season.

dinostar77

It was the only logical option available for Alonso. Realistically he is never going to any of the top 3 teams . Thats RBR , Mercedes and Ferrari . Mclaren isn't available for him ,and STR has a pool of youngsters from their. RBR program . Then there's Haas , Alfa , Williams and Aston Martin . Of those 4 ,I think Aston Martin has the best hope of going forward if they can get it right . Alpine made up their mind about Ocon and Piastri . Piastri has a good future, Ocon ,well we've seen his best and he cannot beat Alonso . So that left Alonso with Aston Martin as the only logical choice
I agree, its his only logical choice. Interesting that both Riccardo and Alonso have walked away from alpine. That suggests to me that neither had much confidence in the team's long term future to challenge for race wins.

AM is a gamble, but Stroll senior is starting to get alot of good talented people together. It will still take AM time to get their personnel numbers upto what the top three have circa 800 people in their respective F1 camps.

AM will get ALOT of CFD and Wind Tunnel time the latter half of this season and over winter testing (only 2nd to williams in the amount they will get). They could jump themselves up the pecking order next season.

However Alonso's career can be defined by 6 words "Wrong Team, Wrong Car, Wrong Time"....

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Albon will have a Williams seat next year. I think Mick will stay with Haas. Tsunoda is definitely in trouble at Alpha Tauri, he has not impressed lately and there's still question marks over his maturity. Zhou will get another year at Alfa Romeo and I'm not sure on Ricciardo, it seems McLaren want him to stay on another year and Ricciardo has said he's committed but a lot can change from now until the end of the season.
Surprised by that, he's been woeful this year and I would've thought McLaren would be itching to get him out.

laughtersassassin

Seems a strange point to make when you consider Horner has many more examples of being a prick. But meh.
Toto said Max deserved to be crashed out at Silverstone to learn a lesson which is about the worst thing any of them have ever said.

It was a horrible crash caused by his driver and he said the other guy deserved it. Make it make sense.

Was the start of all the vitriol too from both teams.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Make no mistake, if Ricciardo didn't have another year on his contract he'd be out this summer. Apart from 1 win at Monza he's been tragically bad.

Unless they pay him off then I can't see him going anywhere. Meanwhile, Mclaren are recruiting and testing some of the best Indycar talent in Palou, O'Ward and Herta to see if they can make the step up.

I suspect 1 of those will replace Ricciardo at the right moment.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That's not why I called you out at all, and you know it. You said:

This was, and still is, a petulant position to take: "I'm right and if you disagree you're wrong". Its also almost certainly untrue because I disagree almost universally with the statement "they're both as bad as each other". Its a cop out people use all the time, very commonly with politicians and countries. Its almost never the case two things just happen to be perfectly equal.

I stand by my position Horner is a more odious character and as many in this thread have shown this isn't a unique opinion.
Fair enough; you're right that my post was irritating and condescending - apologies for that.

avgp_1

Oh Shame, dissappointing to see Alonso has moved to that wretched team. Alpine were on the rise, it'd be another year fighting at the back end of the midfield I presume for AM.

I guess Sargeant should get that Williams seat now with Piastri staying at Alpine

telstar96

He's outperforming Alonso this season and bagged a win last season - the 3 year deal seems pretty decent considering hes only 25
I wouldn't say he's outperforming Alonso this season. Alonso would be ahead in the standings if not for bad reliability and bad team calls by Alpine. Ocon for me is very much a mid level driver and has also shown to be a bad teammate to others. That's why I personally don't rate him that much but as you said, he's 25, so hopefully he improves.

Ahmer Baig

Will this move make Alonso the first person to have driven a car with the PU from all four current suppliers (With Redbull still really just being a Honda)

dinostar77

Oh Shame, dissappointing to see Alonso has moved to that wretched team. Alpine were on the rise, it'd be another year fighting at the back end of the midfield I presume for AM.

I guess Sargeant should get that Williams seat now with Piastri staying at Alpine
No team in F1 are currently spending as much as AM on growing their operations. They have a purpose built wind tunnel on the way, on their purpose built from ground up new headquarters which should be finished next year. Not since ron dennis at mclaren in 04 has anyone built custom f1 specific headquarters from the ground up. Make no mistake, they arent ready right now, and it maybe after Alonso's multi year deal ends, but AM will be up there eventually.