F1 2022 Season

goalscholes

It is very strange, but I sincerely doubt RB would risk the championship for a GP where the worst they would have finished would have been p3, and likely would have still won anyway
I think it's more likely that the AT strategists realised the consequences of Yuki stopping in the pitlane on RB/AT in the heat of the moment, or were made aware, and told him to keep going and stop on track, rather than something more 'planned'.

But agree with Adam on the second part, it was either dodgy or really stupid/ unsafe.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
this isn’t a good look for red bull either way but there is a certain poetic justice to then having a shadow cast over a season where they have absolutely dominated both on and off the track.

Jcrossley94

They desperately didn't want Lewis to win the race. If you know anything about the RB/Mercedes rivalry, they'll make damn sure Mercedes don't win a race this year.

The way Alphatauri handled this situation was either very dodgy or extremely unsafe.
Horner couldn’t care less if Mercedes’ win a race this season. He had the championship wrapped up before the summer break.

don’t understand what AT we’re doing at all. Worth looking in to for sure.

The Firestarter

this isn’t a good look for red bull either way but there is a certain poetic justice to then having a shadow cast over a season where they have absolutely dominated both on and off the track.
Even if Max dnf'ed he would be in no trouble for the WDC. I can't see how anyone from RB would request it from AT, the shitstorm would be far more damaging than any lost points. This looks like AT incompetence.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Horner couldn’t care less if Mercedes’ win a race this season. He had the championship wrapped up before the summer break.

You think Horner wouldn't be upset at Lewis winning Max's home race in front of an army of orange? think you're being pretty naive.

Horner absolutely despises Mercedes, you can see that from DTS.

Jcrossley94

Certainly looks bizarre… and worth looking in to. Although sincerely doubt RB would risk a championship they already have wrapped up for one race win they could have still won anyway.

not sure How long a shadow would be, they had it wrapped up by the summer break

Jcrossley94

You think Horner wouldn't be upset at Lewis winning Max's home race in front of an army of orange? think you're being pretty naive.

If you think DTS is a good or accurate representation of anyone, then i would be hesitant to chuck accusations of naivety around at other people.

Horner might be many things but he isn’t stupid. He wouldn’t risk the entire WDC for one race win, regardless of the context. Especially considering they would have still had a chance to win at the end of the race, considering the simulations showed max catching up with 8 laps to go.

hobbers

DTS of course being famously representative of the relationships in F1.

It would take a special level of obsessive delusion to think Horner would conspire to stop Mercedes winning a race. In a season where the titles are already sewn up. When they aren't even favoured to win the race.

What it would actually be is conspiring to stop Max having to breeze past Mercedes on track. Which he still ended up doing. Very very easily.

Adam-Utd

If you think DTS is a good or accurate representation of anyone, then i would be hesitant to chuck accusations of naivety around at other people.

Horner might be many things but he isn’t stupid. He wouldn’t risk the entire WDC for one race win, regardless of the context. Especially considering they would have still had a chance to win at the end of the race, considering the simulations showed max catching up with 8 laps to go.
A personal interview with Horner talking about Mercedes is more than enough evidence. I totally think Horner is MORE than capable of doing anything necessary to stop Hamilton+Mercedes win that race.

Adam-Utd

DTS of course being famously representative of the relationships in F1.

It would take a special level of obsessive delusion to think Horner would conspire to stop Mercedes winning a race. In a season where the titles are already sewn up. When they aren't even favoured to win the race.

What it would actually be is conspiring to stop Max having to breeze past Mercedes on track. Which he still ended up doing. Very very easily.
You can disagree while sipping on your red bull all you like, it's my opinion and I stand by that. F1 is hardly a fair game sport at the best of times.

Horner will 100% take pride from not letting Mercedes win a race this year if he can help it.

mitChley

If there’s one thing you do with a 100 point lead in the WDC and the race solidly in hand, it’s start illegally cheating with your other team so you can get the race more in hand and slightly more of an insurmountable lead in the championship.

Also jet fuel does melt steel beams.

Jcrossley94

A personal interview with Horner talking about Mercedes is more than enough evidence. I totally think Horner is MORE than capable of doing anything necessary to stop Hamilton+Mercedes win that race.

Take the tin hat off mate.

im a Lewis & merc fan, even I know Horner isn’t That stupid.

They didn’t even need a SC to win that race.

hobbers

You can disagree while sipping on your red bull all you like, it's my opinion and I stand by that. F1 is hardly a fair game sport at the best of times.

Horner will 100% take pride from not letting Mercedes win a race this year if he can help it.
There's a whole meme series of team principles being evil puppet masters behind the scenes for good reason, it's good fun.

But anyone seriously believing in that sort of stuff is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Even if Max dnf'ed he would be in no trouble for the WDC. I can't see how anyone from RB would request it from AT, the shitstorm would be far more damaging than any lost points. This looks like AT incompetence.
aye, which are a red bull team. taking a broken car out of the pit lane and putting it on the track shows the actual regard for driver and people safety at that institution and any crap they spout otherwise is just that.

Adam-Utd

There's a whole meme series of team principles being evil puppet masters behind the scenes for good reason, it's good fun.

But anyone seriously believing in that sort of stuff is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
Yeah... because there's never been cheating in F1 before. :lol:

The whole sport is rife with cheating. Google spygate and Flavio Briatore's Renault for instance. Ferrari's dodgy engines only a few years back. etc etc

The radio messages only add more fuel to the fire.

The Firestarter

aye, which are a red bull team. taking a broken car out of the pit lane and putting it on the track shows the actual regard for driver and people safety at that institution and any crap they spout otherwise is just that.
They are owned by RB but not managed by them. If turns out they gave a direct order to their manager during the race, then they deserve anything that's gonna hit them.

hobbers

TeamLH putting out a message because of the rabid Lewis fanboys on twitter giving Hannah Schmitz abuse. "We know emotions are running high right now"... why the feck should anyone's emotions be running high? A damning indictment on the typical intellectual level of these people.

mitChley

TeamLH putting out a message because of the rabid Lewis fanboys on twitter giving Hannah Schmitz abuse. "We know emotions are running high right now"... why the feck should anyone's emotions be running high? A damning indictment on the typical intellectual level of these people.
F1 Twitter has been absolutely garbage for a few years now, you can see the edges of it in this thread.

goalscholes

I don't think there has been a grand conspiracy, but he doesn't seem like the type who would be content to lose a race after the title has been won, let alone a race while the championship is still ongoing. I doubt he will see the title as being 'wrapped up', these guys aren't built that way.

goalscholes

Of people on Twitter? Agreed.

avgp_1

Seems dodgy but don't think RB are involved, they have too much to lose as the Championship is done and in a race they had just as much a chance to win as in say Hungary. Max would have stormed through on the softs in the end

AT probably didn't want to shut down the PL and asked him to stop outside. Tsunoda has potentially messed up Max's races earlier. This needs to be investigated though.

goalscholes

Ignoring this incident, it is clear that teams are increasingly telling their drivers to stop in dangerous places to force the safety car.

There have been numerous situations where cars have gone past off-roads or just stopped in the middle of straights when they had the opportunity to stop earlier.

pauldyson1uk

Alpha Tauri could be in trouble. Radio message to yuki is basically telling him to drive out of the pits and stop on track. If he had stopped in the pits. The pit lane would have been closed and max wouldnt have been able to pit.

Probably more of a conspiracy at the moment on twitter. But i can see this getting bigger...
mmmm I can see this getting bigger.
OK I am no fan of RB Max or Horner, but I cant see them being involved in anything so underhand, forget the last race last season, Max already has the title sown up.
Agreed it does look very dodgy, but I have it down to Alphaturi incompetence rather than outright cheating.

pauldyson1uk

I dont think he would be that bothered about it, Mercedes are not a threat to Max this season and a few times he has said he wants the competition from them.
DTS is bullshit, stopped watching it.

goalscholes

I also noticed Horner and Max correctly laying into the Merc's decision making at the weekend, saying that Mercedes should have made the decision that Lewis stopped and Russell stayed out:

"I was quite surprised that they didn't leave George out strategically as a rear gunner for Lewis. When he pitted, it gave a straight fight between Max and Lewis with a tyre offset. My biggest concern was it would be two against one, but when George seemed to pit himself, that then freed up a one-on-one fight with Max versus Lewis."

Verstappen admitted after the race there was "no way" he could have stayed out on the hard tyre, but said he did not ask Red Bull to pit for softs, instead trusting the pit wall to make the right call. "I didn't request it, you have to trust your team as well to make the right calls, and they did," Verstappen said.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Do people actually think Hamilton would've won anyway pre VSC? Max was keeping the gap at 15-16 seconds if I remember and pumping in his best times right before the VSC, with around 20-21 seconds for a pitstop required. Horner said the plan was to pit for soft near the end or the option of mediums. The end of the race showed what would've happened when Max put on a soft (at that point Hamilton would've been on old hard tyres) as well as the overtake on Russell earlier.

Jcrossley94

I don't think there has been a grand conspiracy, but he doesn't seem like the type who would be content to lose a race after the title has been won, let alone a race while the championship is still ongoing. I doubt he will see the title as being 'wrapped up', these guys aren't built that way.
Obviously he wouldn’t be content to lose a race ever… and he likely wouldn’t have lost this race regardless anyway. Simulations showed max would have had 8 laps to try get past the Mercs.

he might not consider it wrapped up, but it’s been wrapped up since The summer break. And him finishing p3 ahead of leclerc wouldn’t have changed a thing.

he isn’t an idiot. He wouldn’t have risked the entire championship for the one win, regardless of how optically important that one win is to his driver.

hobbers

By the way, we can absolutely guarantee that the stuff with Tsunoda won't be 'getting bigger' because the FIA have already ruled on all of it. They've seen the damaged diff, heard all the team radio, questioned and reprimanded him on loosening his belt. And they judged AT did nothing wrong, which is probably right, since they didn't realise his diff had broken until he was almost at the pit exit, the second time around.

Whether they should have told him to stop in the pit exit, and close the pit lane, rather than telling him to stop on track isn't much of an issue.

Last edited:

Jcrossley94

Do people actually think Hamilton would've won anyway pre VSC? Max was keeping the gap at 15-16 seconds if I remember and pumping in his best times right before the VSC, with around 20-21 seconds for a pitstop required. Horner said the plan was to pit for soft near the end or the option of mediums. The end of the race showed what would've happened when Max put on a soft (at that point Hamilton would've been on old hard tyres) as well as the overtake on Russell earlier.
the gap was at 12 seconds with the pit stop taking 18 seconds actually. Max would have come out behind Russell if he’d have pitted just before the VSC. The more likely strategy was Max would have pitted for hards and caught both mercs before the end, probably would have taken the lead with 5 laps to go

dinostar77

Max and Horner are definately in the clear on this. Its as others have said, its either incompetence on part if AT or a fear that yuki wold block the pitlane and therefore screw up big sister RedBulls race.

Regardless as long as it wasnt on purpose ala crashgate, i think they might get away with it.

I think jenson button had a point when he said that maybe teams shouldnt be allowed to pit for tyres under vsc, just a full safety car.

Jcrossley94

Max and Horner are definately in the clear on this. Its as others have said, its either incompetence on part if AT or a fear that yuki wold block the pitlane and therefore screw up big sister RedBulls race.

Regardless as long as it wasnt on purpose ala crashgate, i think they might get away with it.

I think jenson button had a point when he said that maybe teams shouldnt be allowed to pit for tyres under vsc, just a full safety car.
would prefer to see a ban on sister teams to be honest.

dinostar77

Well alpha tauti could become andretti racing soon. Colton Herta moving there maybe step one. The FIA does seem to have waived its own superlicence process to get Herta a F1 licence. Its about time a america driver was on the grid.

Its no secret that 79 year Dietrich Mateschitz is looking to sell his 50% share in RedBull parent company. Thats why he was happ to do the porsche deal and horner et al were against it.

Selling Alpha Tauri to Andretti but getting RBPowertrains to supply the PU maybe a sensible strategy in mateschitz eyes.

pauldyson1uk

Some Lewis fans are just fecking idiots, fair play on Lewis for making the post, but FFS he should not be having to make it, I fail to see why abusing her twitter is an any way acceptable.

goalscholes

Agree. And radio from the team to the driver. And team orders. And eventually DRS and tracks which require DRS to pass, after cars have reduced in size and run purely on biofuels.

Some Lewis fans are just fecking idiots, fair play on Lewis for making the post, but FFS he should not be having to make it, I fail to see why abusing her twitter is an any way acceptable.
Agree, but a small percentage of all fans are idiots.

I’d hate for opposition fans to think that United fans are idiots because a few threw rocks at a bus of disabled kids, or think all Max fans are idiots because they threw flares on track or thought breaking the rules to only move cars between Lewis and Max was fair.