F1 2022 Season

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I don’t think that retrospective point penalties would be good for the sport. I know that it probably makes sense to do that from a competitive point of view but it would be a foolish decision for f1 to change results now all these months down the line
But this is stupid. Plenty of sports strip winners of those wins if they are found to be cheating.

Doping a classic example. Not quite the same but agree with the post above that it’s a decent comparator.

The FIA are going to not want to rock the boat much so they’ll probably find a way to make this go away. But, actually, if RB have indeed breached it significantly, I personally can’t see many disadvantages here of taking serious action which changes last years results. It fixes a wrong, it immediately solidifies the integrity of the sport, it acts as a significant deterrent to other teams, all which they would give up for what? Not changing a result? Not upsetting the new influx of orange fans? And not upsetting red bull? To me there are more benefits of coming down hard, than not, if indeed it’s as bad as rumoured. If this somehow goes away, it doubles down on all the issues that the end of last season already created.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
RB are hypocrites and always have been. They try to play the good guys and have a history of finger pointing towards the other teams. Yet they are the masters of smoke & mirrors, always bending rules and are sour losers to boot. Nothing against their drivers & mechanics etc, it’s more aimed against the management. And they’re not the only team that turns to the darker arts of course. But it’s about time RB are called out for what they are.

hobbers

Probably wasn’t a good idea for the FIA to hire Toto’s personal lawyer. Their integrity is going to come massively under the spotlight whether the claims are right or not.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Probably wasn’t a good idea for the FIA to hire Toto’s personal lawyer. Their integrity is going to come massively under the spotlight whether the claims are right or not.
I admire your determination to find fault and blame with everyone but Red Bull for Red Bull allegedly breaking the rules

pauldyson1uk

I don’t think that retrospective point penalties would be good for the sport. I know that it probably makes sense to do that from a competitive point of view but it would be a foolish decision for f1 to change results now all these months down the line
totally disagree, if any team is found to be breeching the budget cap rules, then absolutely they should be punished to the fullest.
Not doing anything would be stupid, it would just mean the rest could do and say, well you never did anything to that team, why us.
Breaking the budget caps is cheating, pure and simple.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
If their recent policy is anything to go by, they'll let it slide for RB and then change the rules for future incidents
“we are satisfied that red bull only did any spend over the budget gap, not all spend over the budget cap.”

dinostar77

Horner is not happy and has every right to be, somebody has leaked the claims.
https://www.skysports.com/f1/live-b...on-drivers-title?postid=4562394#liveblog-body
If horner ever left RedBull, flavio briatorrie would be the perfect replacement as team prinicpal for RedBull, they are so alike.

Horner would be a great chairman for ffp cheats such as man city, barcelona or psg.

Agree that is obvious someone has leaked this info about last years spending. However this years spending will be under scrutinty as well as RedBull have a new chassis which ferrari and mercedes have both said is unaffordable under the cost cap at this point in the season.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
totally disagree, if any team is found to be breeching the budget cap rules, then absolutely they should be punished to the fullest.
Not doing anything would be stupid, it would just mean the rest could do and say, well you never did anything to that team, why us.
For example McLaren and Renault more or less got away with murder (and in Renault’s case almost literally), so it’s all nothing new. If RB are found guilty then the most likely outcome will be a similar penalty as with McLaren in their spygate scandal. I think the problem is more that F1 doesn’t clearly set out the punishment if certain rules are broken and everything gets twisted by lawyers, it all becomes very complicated by the way the rules are set & written.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
So I signed up to the F1 fantasy using facebook, and trying to log in now, and I get this error:

This app is not accessible right now and the app developer is aware of the issue. You will be able to log in when the app is reactivated.

Tried on my phone as well

dinostar77

For example McLaren and Renault more or less got away with murder (and in Renault’s case almost literally), so it’s all nothing new. If RB are found guilty then the most likely outcome will be a similar penalty as with McLaren in their spygate scandal. I think the problem is more that F1 doesn’t clearly set out the punishment if certain rules are broken and everything gets twisted by lawyers, it all becomes very complicated by the way the rules are set & written.
Have to agree with @pauldy on this. People have been made redundant, there has been massive restructing off the track within the f1 teams to stay within the financial restrictions. A £5mil spend is equivalent to a seasons worth of inhouse developement on your race car. The book needs to be thrown at RB and AM if they are found guilty. Otherwise we will have ffp equivalent of financial doping ala man city and psg.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
So I signed up to the F1 fantasy using facebook, and trying to log in now, and I get this error:

This app is not accessible right now and the app developer is aware of the issue. You will be able to log in when the app is reactivated.

Tried on my phone as well
RB tempering with evidence most likely

hobbers

I admire your determination to find fault and blame with everyone but Red Bull for Red Bull allegedly breaking the rules
Red Bull allegedly broke the rules for the TD, according to only Mercedes, and look how that turned out. Until the FIA announce the budget audits you'd have to be very stupid to take anything coming out of Mercedes as gospel.

Personally I would bet Red Bull have tried to exclude some expenses they shouldnt have, and are going to lean hard on how the budget rules are interpreted, and then they'll negotiate a modest penalty with the FIA and the rules will get tightened up. You can already tell this is probably what's happening right now by Horner and the FIA's statements. And they wont be the only team doing creative accounting, all the teams will have.

And if it turns out Mercedes have the inside scoop on other teams budget audits, that tells you everything you need to know about the integrity of Toto's lawyer Rao, and will bring the sport even further into disrepute.

On the other hand, if it turns out they haven't breached any budget caps it'll be humiliating for Mercedes since everyone knows where the speculation has come from.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I love Lewis and would love a retrospective penalty but I feel that f1 just can’t do it because of what it would do to the image of the sport after the crazy title race last year. I wouldn’t blame them either because in the end it’s a business as well which needs to protect its interests. I think a future penalty with the message that any team found guilty after this could get retrospective penalties will be the most likely outcome.

Fully Fledged

UEFA did it to Marseille when they cheated to win. They lost all their titles. The Olympics strip medals after the fact if someone is found to have cheated. It's the right thing to do. I don't think the FIA will do it because they are a joke.

pauldyson1uk

I love Lewis and would love a retrospective penalty but I feel that f1 just can’t do it because of what it would do to the image of the sport after the crazy title race last year. I wouldn’t blame them either because in the end it’s a business as well which needs to protect its interests. I think a future penalty with the message that any team found guilty after this could get retrospective penalties will be the most likely outcome.
I think they absolutely must do it , if any team is found guilty.
Olympics' do it, cycling stripped Armstrong of all his titles, Italian football did it to Juventus, so there is plenty of president to strip titles.