F1 2022 Season

dinostar77

Formula 1 to double number of Sprint races a season from three to six from 2023 onwards after discussions with governing body FIA; Proposal was unanimously backed by teams earlier this year and was voted through by World Motor Sport Council on Tuesday

Formula 1 will run six Sprint events a season from 2023 onwards after the sport finally gained approval for more Saturday races.

Doubling the amount of Sprint events has long been backed by teams, but has been a source of contention between F1 and governing body FIA, who had suggested earlier this year that the sport would continue with three.

But F1 and the FIA have held positive discussions on the format, the shorter Saturday race that sets the grid for Sunday's Grand Prix, and increasing the number to six a season was rubberstamped by the World Motor Sport Council on Tuesday.

The venues for the six events will be confirmed at a later date. F1 have revealed a record 24-race calendar for 2024.

"I am pleased that we can confirm six Sprints will be part of the Championship from 2023 onwards, building on the success of the new format introduced for the first time in 2021," said F1 president and CEO Stefano Domenicali.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/1...Y-wc3-3CLulhXD_IqrD89EOkmswg8R-YihuRgaGR3JnZU
Who wanted more of this crap in its current format?

redshaw

What success are they talking about regarding sprint races? I guess some more viewers perhaps?

Seems almost unanimous on the forums that people dislike them.

As I watch C4 I get extra annoyed as quali is not shown and we have to watch this pre-race race instead then the actual race on Sunday.

pauldyson1uk

A massive storm is brewing in the paddock in Singapore, with Red Bull rumored to be in hot water with the FIA for significantly breaching Formula 1's budget cap in 2021 according to a report from Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

The breach, if confirmed, could entail a massive penalty for the Milton Keynes-based outfit whose driver, Max Verstappen, won the championship at the final round last year.

But according to AMS, Red Bull isn't the only team to have exceeded F1's $147.4 million spending limit last season, with Aston Martin also rumored to have gone beyond its budget.

The FIA, which only recently completed its budget audits for 2021, is compelled to publicly reveal – likely next week – the results of its financial review and any transgressions on the grounds of its transparency policy, much vaunted by FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem.

Red Bull rumored to have breached 2021 budget cap! | F1i.com

pauldyson1uk

Red Bull have reacted, and insisted the reports are "just speculation at this stage".

Furthermore, according to the BBC's Andrew Benson, the FIA will not comment on the matter "until the formal process has been concluded", which is expected to be next week, ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix

Regarding Aston Martin, the team says: "We have submitted our 2021 reporting, we are in discussion with the FIA, and we are awaiting certification."

F-Red

I've got a feeling that Red Bull will probably get a wrist slapped and they'll probably point the over spend (if true) on things they have no control of ie. inflation. You could tell that there was probably going to be challenges when Horner came out earlier in the season asking for more capacity in the budget cap.

I imagine Aston Martin will be the team that's spent considerably over the budget cap, which would make that season even worse.

Rumours from the better sources in the paddock are saying that financial penalities and restricted development could be the sanctions imposed, what makes this interesting is that there is no determined penalty for this breach in the rule book. So the FIA could get a bit creative here.

pauldyson1uk

I've got a feeling that Red Bull will probably get a wrist slapped and they'll probably point the over spend (if true) on things they have no control of ie. inflation. You could tell that there was probably going to be challenges when Horner came out earlier in the season asking for more capacity in the budget cap.

I imagine Aston Martin will be the team that's spent considerably over the budget cap, which would make that season even worse.

Rumours from the better sources in the paddock are saying that financial penalities and restricted development could be the sanctions imposed, what makes this interesting is that there is no determined penalty for this breach in the rule book. So the FIA could get a bit creative here.
FIA have a massive headache here, if they do nothing, the other teams will do the same and say well you never did anything to RB and AM.
They have to apply some sort of penalty and one big enough to deter other teams from doing the same, but what they do is another matter.
Maybe fines for the teams and /or point deduction from Constructors Championship, no points from drivers, after all budget is not in their hands.

pauldyson1uk

The FIA has slightly tweaked F1's AOM that is linked to a car's porpoising or bouncing, the governing body taking into account the bumpy nature of Singapore's Marina Bay track.

In the wake of the widespread porpoising and high-frequency bouncing issues suffered by F1's new generation ground-effect cars, the FIA introduced at the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa - on the grounds of safety - a aerodynamic oscillation metric (AOM) devised to force teams to limit the bouncing and bottoming of their cars.

Any car exceeding the AOM limit risks being excluded from an event but so far, no outfit has been caught in breach of the stipulated metric.

However, ahead of this weekend's Singapore Grand Prix at Marina Bay – a track last visited by F1 in 2019 – it was feared that the bumpy nature of the track could cause inadvertent oscillation spikes exceeding on average the metric's limit.

But to compensate for spike readings caused by the tracks bumps rather than porpoising, the FIA has added some margin to its metric by setting a top limit of 7G.

Any reading or strike exceeding that threshold will not be taken into account.

FIA tweaks AOM porpoising metric for Singapore GP (f1i.com)

pauldyson1uk

We could see a wet qualifying and race this weekend.
2022 Singapore Grand Prix weekend weather forecast
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30 – FP1 AND FP2 WEATHER Conditions: Thundery showers expected, with a slight chance of rain expected in the evening session. FP1: 29°C // FP2: 28°C
Maximum temperature expected: 30 Celsius
Minimum temperature expected: 26 Celsius
Chance of rain: 40%

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1 – FP3 AND QUALIFYING WEATHER
Conditions
: Weather expected to be clear overnight but with a moderate chance of rain in the morning and afternoon. FP3: 29°C // Q: 28°C
Maximum temperature expected: 29 Celsius
Minimum temperature expected: 25 Celsius
Chance of rain: 60%

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 2 – RACE WEATHER
Conditions
: Increasing chance of thundery showers through the day compared to previous days. Race air temp: 28°C
Maximum temperature expected: 29 Celsius
Minimum temperature expected: 25 Celsius
Chance of rain: 60%

mitChley

Phew, FP1 made me realise my IPTV need resubscribing, glad I found out now rather than before Qualifying.

Leg-End

The budget cap stuff, much like football is all relatively pointless because the punishments are never harsh and usually money based (shock).

Overspending in F1 is a tangible on track performance gain, if teams are going to flout the rules then its a mockery of the budget in the first place. The only real way to punish is restricting wind tunnel time etc.

goalscholes

Surely all other teams have suffered from the same issues with inflation though?

If one team has continued developing and other's haven't to keep to the rules, that's clearly unfair.

I know Ferrari as a race team have been absolutely useless, but they were pretty confident RB couldn't afford continuing with their aggressive upgrade package back in May without running out of money, and the RBs have pulled further and further away since then.

F-Red

Surely all other teams have suffered from the same issues with inflation though?

If one team has continued developing and other's haven't to keep to the rules, that's clearly unfair.

I know Ferrari as a race team have been absolutely useless, but they were pretty confident RB couldn't afford continuing with their aggressive upgrade package back in May without running out of money, and the RBs have pulled further and further away since then.
Definitely all would have had the same issues, however each team will be different depending on how/where items are developed, and manufactured. I'm just confident that Horner will push the conversation of an overspend to things the team hasn't got control of, rather than their own decision to overspend. I think Aston Martin will be the bigger overspend though, as they have to drag a poor performing car forward.

More Singapore drama for F1 though!

Leg-End

I very much doubt Merc stay there but it would sum up their season if they are quickest and then it rains.

goalscholes

Hamilton's lap came much later in the session when there was more grip. They should still be significantly slower than the RB.

pauldyson1uk

Horner: Our submission was below the budget cap
With rumours swirling around the F1 paddock that there has been some teams that went over the budget cap in 2021,Red Bull have been under the microscope.
However, Christian Horner remains confident that his team's submission was under the cap and they believe in the FIA's process:

"We are certainly not aware of any.

"The accounts were all submitted to the FIA way back in March and we are in that process as we speak.

"They are rightly following that process and mid next week is when they declare their certificates.

"Our submission was below the cap and it is for the FIA to follow their process which they are currently doing.

"It is a brand new set of regulations so how rules are interpreted and applied are going to be subjective and as the years go by things will get tidied up.

"We are confident in our submission and there is always going to be rumours."

Fully Fledged

A massive storm is brewing in the paddock in Singapore, with Red Bull rumored to be in hot water with the FIA for significantly breaching Formula 1's budget cap in 2021 according to a report from Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

The breach, if confirmed, could entail a massive penalty for the Milton Keynes-based outfit whose driver, Max Verstappen, won the championship at the final round last year.

But according to AMS, Red Bull isn't the only team to have exceeded F1's $147.4 million spending limit last season, with Aston Martin also rumored to have gone beyond its budget.

The FIA, which only recently completed its budget audits for 2021, is compelled to publicly reveal – likely next week – the results of its financial review and any transgressions on the grounds of its transparency policy, much vaunted by FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem.

Same old Red Bull always cheating.

Fully Fledged

So not only did they change the rules mid race to help max they also allowed them to overspend

https://the-race.com/formula-1/red-bull-one-of-two-teams-believed-to-have-broken-budget-cap/

Doubt the FIA have the balls to do the decent thing
The punishment ort to come in the season that the breach happened. If it doesn't then a team can breach the rules to win a championship then take the punishment the following season. It's just a recipe to cheat. I can see them docking them points this season though which would do nothing because the points drop wont be enough to take Max from top of the table.

redshaw

Sky Sports will remain the exclusive home of Formula 1 in the UK and Ireland until 2029 after Sky extended its partnership with the sport
That is terrible, 2029 ffs.

Wasn't that long ago I remember there were reports of them not liking the deal Bernie did and they wanted more coverage on terrestrial TV due to poor viewing figures on Sky. Some countries went back to half the races live on FTA as it was unsuccessful behind a paywall.

C4 coverage has got worse in recent years as America qualifying isn't shown on Sat night now, deemed too late but it wasn't a problem before for years, there's still time even with local time being moved up. With Sprint races we don't get any quali so now with 6 of the bastards next year that's more quali not shown and some useless pre race instead.

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

That is terrible, 2029 ffs.

Wasn't that long ago I remember there were reports of not them not liking the deal Bernie did and they wanted more coverage on terrestrial TV due to poor viewing figures on Sky. Some countries went back to half the races live on FTA as it was unsuccessful behind a paywall.

C4 coverage has got worse in recent years as America qualifying isn't shown on Sat night now, deemed too late but it wasn't a problem before for years, there's still time even with local time being moved up. With Sprint races we don't get any quali so now with 6 of the bastards next year that's more quali not shown and some useless pre race instead.
I dont actually mind Sky coverage, its better than C4.
The BBC days were far better, but they will never have F1 again.
Sky F1 is already in my Sky package.

pauldyson1uk

The punishment ort to come in the season that the breach happened. If it doesn't then a team can breach the rules to win a championship then take the punishment the following season. It's just a recipe to cheat. I can see them docking them points this season though which would do nothing because the points drop wont be enough to take Max from top of the table.
FIA being FIA, I dont see them doing anything this season.
I did say don't take points from drivers, but they benefit from the overspend, so maybe yeah they should.

goalscholes

Horner: Our submission was below the budget cap
With rumours swirling around the F1 paddock that there has been some teams that went over the budget cap in 2021,Red Bull have been under the microscope.
However, Christian Horner remains confident that his team's submission was under the cap and they believe in the FIA's process:

"We are certainly not aware of any.

"The accounts were all submitted to the FIA way back in March and we are in that process as we speak.

"They are rightly following that process and mid next week is when they declare their certificates.

"Our submission was below the cap and it is for the FIA to follow their process which they are currently doing.

"It is a brand new set of regulations so how rules are interpreted and applied are going to be subjective and as the years go by things will get tidied up.

"We are confident in our submission and there is always going to be rumours."
Tell us you've cheated without actually telling us you've cheated.

hobbers

Sounds like the usual Mercedes propaganda. Aston Martin will be the ones who have materially overspent.

Also zero chance they'll dock points from drivers. Docking points in the constructors is a tried and tested punishment as Aston Martin have already found out, I'd expect the same for material budget breaches. For minor breaches they should look at handing down a wind tunnel penalty and/or cost cap penalty.

pauldyson1uk

Sounds like the usual Mercedes propaganda. Aston Martin will be the ones who have materially overspent.

Also zero chance they'll dock points from drivers. Docking points in the constructors is a tried and tested punishment as Aston Martin have already found out, I'd expect the same for material budget breaches. For minor breaches they should look at handing down a wind tunnel penalty and/or cost cap penalty.
:lol::lol: not even come from Mercedes.
The rest I agree with.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
no way a team as likeable as the red bull outfit have done anything against the spirit or laws of the f1 entertainment venture.

hobbers

:lol::lol: not even come from Mercedes.
The rest I agree with.
If you read the BBC article about it it mentions that one team was specifically told there's been one minor and one material breach. The beeb F1 journo is a Mercedes mouthpiece so it will have come from them.

Similar to the flexible floor stuff. Mercedes drip feed speculation that Red Bull have broken the rules and that the new regs will save their season. Turns out to be completely wrong. They love their propaganda but it does get quite desperate.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
red bull are basically just the man city of the f1 world. though their fans turn an even blinder eye to their human rights offences.

F-Red

Rumour from Canal+ that De Vries has signed for Alpha Tauri, meaning Gasly will be heading to Alpine.

dinostar77

No fault of max, but another championship tainted. Ferrari will be pushing hard for RB to be disqualified frm championship. Only way for leclerc to become champion.

A £5mil overspend is equivalent to half a second, you can see why ferrari will be howling for blood.