F1 2023 Season

avgp_1

I really thought Ferrari would be a lot closer here. Hope they are just saving engines in these sessions.

But then the penalty for Leclerc makes it not much of a factor anyway.

dinostar77

So Lewis says he does not feel safe in Saudi the only driver to day so, all the rest say the opposite.
Serious question, is this Lewis telling the truth or him just being a bitch ?
I already know what a few are already typing bitch.
Are the others just toeing the company line, or after last year's year is he genuinely concerned.

Angela Cullen has announced she is leaving Mercedes, I presume after this race thus is a massive blow to Lewis, could this be the beginning of the end ? Again I already know what some if you typing.
Who knows? Maybe he wants to shake things up? Maybe she had enough of the endless flights?

dinostar77

I really thought Ferrari would be a lot closer here. Hope they are just saving engines in these sessions.

But then the penalty for Leclerc makes it not much of a factor anyway.
They are still testing rear wings, brought two different ones for practise, so i guess they are still doing r&d to determine which is best.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So Lewis says he does not feel safe in Saudi the only driver to day so, all the rest say the opposite.
Serious question, is this Lewis telling the truth or him just being a bitch ?
I already know what a few are already typing bitch.
Are the others just toeing the company line, or after last year's year is he genuinely concerned.

Angela Cullen has announced she is leaving Mercedes, I presume after this race thus is a massive blow to Lewis, could this be the beginning of the end ? Again I already know what some if you typing.
Why doesn't he feel safe?

Saudi Arabian GP Practice One Timesheet

pauldyson1uk

Saudi Arabian GP Practice One Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Max VerstappenRed Bull1:29.617
2) Sergio PerezRed Bull+0.483
3) Fernando AlonsoAston Martin+0.698
4) Lance StrollAston Martin+0.960
5) George RussellMercedes+1.154
6) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+1.170
7) Carlos SainzFerrari+1.307
8) Pierre GaslyAlpine+1.332
9) Alex AlbonWilliams+1.413
10) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+1.493
11) Charles LeclercFerrari+1.501
12) Esteban OconAlpine+1.564
13) Nyck de VriesAlphaTauri+1.833
14) Oscar PiastriMcLaren+1.874
15) Nico HulkenbergHaas+1.935
16) Kevin MagnussenHaas+1.949
17) Logan SargeantWilliams+2.305
18) Valtteri BottasAlfa Romeo+2.353
19) Zhou GuanyuAlfa Romeo+2.369
20) Lando NorrisMcLaren+2.532

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Now that you would have to ask him.
I would think the track and drivers are highly guarded.
The race last season must have come pretty close to being cancelled after the rocket attack, maybe something to do with that.
I would put it more down to Lewis being Lewis
I completely forgot about that. But then Saudi isn't that dangerous, maybe he is already thinking about life without Angela?

Saudi Arabian GP Practice Two Timesheet

pauldyson1uk

Final P2 timesheet
This top three is starting to look very familiar...
  1. Max Verstappen (Red Bull) 1:29.603
  2. Fernando Alonso (Aston Martin) +0.208
  3. Sergio Perez (Red Bull) +0.299
  4. Esteban Ocon (Alpine) +0.436
  5. George Russell (Mercedes) +0.467
  6. Pierre Gasly (Alpine) +0.497
  7. Lance Stroll (Aston Martin) +0.507
  8. Nico Hulkenberg (Haas) +0.578
  9. Charles Leclerc (Ferrari) +0.738
  10. Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) +0.989
  11. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) +0.996
  12. Lando Norris (McLaren) +1.118
  13. Yuki Tsunoda (AlphaTauri) +1.173
  14. Alex Albon (Williams) +1.207
  15. Kevin Magnussen (Haas) +1.217
  16. Zhou Guanyu (Alfa Romeo) +1.234
  17. Nyck de Vries (AlphaTauri) +1.318
  18. Logan Sargeant (Williams) +1.356
  19. Oscar Piastri (McLaren) +1.361
  20. Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo) +1.449

https://www.skysports.com/f1/live-b...eturns-to-jeddah?postid=5640429#liveblog-body

pauldyson1uk

Deflated Hamilton says Mercedes 'tough car to drive'
Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton:
"Pretty much the same - a second off or whatever it was, but for me, I struggled in both sessions. We'll just continue to go into the details to improve the balance of the car to make it easier to drive.
"It's a tough car to drive but I know everyone is working hard at the factory, so it's a matter of time, just having to be patient. It's pretty much the same (performance compared to last year)."

Is Mercedes' direction the right one?
Mercedes' George Russell:
"I am not sure what power modes everybody was running. For sure, Red Bull are out in front but we are learning lots of things, things that will help in the medium and short term.
"We need to look overnight to see what we can do. You just need to get the set-up in the sweet spot, we are not going to find a second overnight as much as I would love to do that.
"We need to understand if the new direction we are taking is the correct one. That’s for the boys and girls back in the factory and here to unpick the data but for this weekend we just want to maximise what we’ve got."

pauldyson1uk

Verstappen: Jeddah track not like Bahrain
Red Bull's Max Verstappen:
"It's just fine-tuning things with the down shifts - we do that all the time. I think we had a positive day but there are still things that we can do better. In the long run, I think we all seemed quite close to each other.
"It's all just managing the tyres because they don't really let you push around here, so with a low degredation circuit, I think the lap times are very close, so it's definitely not like Bahrain."

Perez: Red Bull had mechanical issue
Red Bull's Sergio Perez:
"It was learning the conditions, getting a good read was essential.
"We had a bit of an issue with the car mechanically which hopefully we are able to sort out. That will bring us a bit more pace hopefully.
"Overall we seem to be strong but the competition is there as expected. I expect a few of the rival teams to step up tomorrow."

redshaw

Shame to see McLaren down there. I've liked seeing Lando's performances in what was a half decent car these past few years.

pauldyson1uk

Charles Leclerc said he will no longer be taking part in one aspect of the Formula 1 race weekend after a rule change.

Tweaks to the structure of a race weekend have become commonplace in recent times. New things are always being trialled out – some more important than others, such as major changes like the sprint race or how media day works, while others are relatively minor.

The latest tweak appears to be minor on paper, but has significant impact on the drivers' weekend plans. It has now been decided that, when they go on their usual track walk on a Thursday, they can no longer use bikes or scooters to speed up the process.

Such methods of transportation have been banned, with drivers now forced to walk the full length of the circuit. This will be particularly time-consuming at the longer tracks – Spa-Francorchamps, home of the Belgian Grand Prix, is the longest on the calendar at 7km in total.

Charles Leclerc declares "you won't see me again" as new F1 rule slammed by Ferrari star (msn.com)

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
they’re just planing for a future where greta has banned cars from f1.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
people will still be complaining that hamilton only won because he had the fastest trainers.

The Firestarter

Charles Leclerc said he will no longer be taking part in one aspect of the Formula 1 race weekend after a rule change.

Tweaks to the structure of a race weekend have become commonplace in recent times. New things are always being trialled out – some more important than others, such as major changes like the sprint race or how media day works, while others are relatively minor.

The latest tweak appears to be minor on paper, but has significant impact on the drivers' weekend plans. It has now been decided that, when they go on their usual track walk on a Thursday, they can no longer use bikes or scooters to speed up the process.

Such methods of transportation have been banned, with drivers now forced to walk the full length of the circuit. This will be particularly time-consuming at the longer tracks – Spa-Francorchamps, home of the Belgian Grand Prix, is the longest on the calendar at 7km in total.

Charles Leclerc declares "you won't see me again" as new F1 rule slammed by Ferrari star (msn.com)
Now we know why Angela fecked off

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I can see Lewis walking away mid season. I don’t think he cares enough anymore to fight mid pack and I don’t blame him. Schumacher walked away from Ferrari because it was exhausting getting them back to the front after 2005 and then asking him to compete with Kimi. He’s older, it’s harder to get out of bed each morning and there’s nothing left to prove.

Also, I don’t see why there needs to be any question why he doesn’t feel safe. If that’s how he feels, that’s how he feels and it’s not up to anybody else to belittle his emotions subject to some type of explanation on his behalf.

pauldyson1uk

I can see Lewis walking away mid season. I don’t think he cares enough anymore to fight mid pack and I don’t blame him. Schumacher walked away from Ferrari because it was exhausting getting them back to the front after 2005 and then asking him to compete with Kimi. He’s older, it’s harder to get out of bed each morning and there’s nothing left to prove.

Also, I don’t see why there needs to be any question why he doesn’t feel safe. If that’s how he feels, that’s how he feels and it’s not up to anybody else to belittle his emotions subject to some type of explanation on his behalf.
You do make a valid point, he is not happy with the car, we all know that, I doubt they car get the car up to RB this season and I agree that Lewis will not want another seam of mid grid getting now where.
But give up halfway though, not sure he would do that, he would IMHO finish the season.

Has for belittling him, I asked a question and belittling him was never in my thoughts and I agree if he feels like that he feels like that.
Actually reading it , yeah I can see your point.
My apologies that was not my intention.

Abizzz

The FIA and liberty are fecking circus clowns and have made a joke out of F1. I hope all their new netflix fans find a new tiktoker or twitcher to watch on Sundays sooner than later.

Camilo

This really is a dull looking season. Some folk will cheer on Alonso to his inevitable win, but it's all irrelevant really. He's an old cheat, who cares!

The whole formula needs tearing up. It doesn't work. I understand it's always been a manufacturer driven "sport", but this is just pish. Either they need to move to much slower, much simpler cars with far more standardised parts, or they need to get away back to old style tracks with endless straights. And bin DRS for goodness sake.

Abizzz

This really is a dull looking season. Some folk will cheer on Alonso to his inevitable win, but it's all irrelevant really. He's an old cheat, who cares!

The whole formula needs tearing up. It doesn't work. I understand it's always been a manufacturer driven "sport", but this is just pish. Either they need to move to much slower, much simpler cars with far more standardised parts, or they need to get away back to old style tracks with endless straights. And bin DRS for goodness sake.
This is the 7th noncompetitive season in 8 years, and the year we actually got proper racing the FIA decided that that wasn't acceptable and decided the championship themselves. If we discount the Rosberg vs. Hamilton season for them being in the same team it's even longer.

So much for the new regulations and financial bs making it more competitive. Nascar is proper exciting compared to it now (and they still only turn left). But people will still tell me it's a success because of "netflix".

dinostar77

Give it half a season and FIA will have a new directive for next season, simplifying the floor geometry under the car to slow RedBull down.

Joking aside, they need to dramatically reduce CFD and Wind Tunnel time for the winning constructor.

Ironically in a attempt to stop Mercedes dominance, their rules have helped created a new dominant team who cant be caught in-season due to the budget cap and other restrictions.

We could very possibly have RedBull winning every championship season till 2026, unchallenged. They nailed the regs, everyone fecked up.

Fluctuation0161

The FIA and liberty are fecking circus clowns and have made a joke out of F1. I hope all their new netflix fans find a new tiktoker or twitcher to watch on Sundays sooner than later.
They really have ruined the sport. It's not recovered from the various debacles which make it more like WWE than a real sport.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Disagree with you. All Lewis Hamilton is wanting is a car that he can compete in. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. He is a person who has always shown his frustrations openly. But he is first and foremost a fighter.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I don’t think you can blame the FIA and rules for Mercedes getting their car wrong two years in a row and Ferrari having engine reliability issues. The fact that AM are ahead shows how poor those two teams are performing, I’m sure they’ll get their act together but it won’t translate to on track this season. McLaren are another who are underperforming.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
I don’t think you can blame the FIA and rules for Mercedes getting their car wrong two years in a row and Ferrari having engine reliability issues. The fact that AM are ahead shows how poor those two teams are performing, I’m sure they’ll get their act together but it won’t translate to on track this season. McLaren are another who are underperforming.
Yep, I would blame Ferrari and Mercedes for their incompetence more than anything.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Yes indeed.
We were told that the new aero regulations would improve close racing. So I don't understand why it is needed.
The plans were to see how the new regs would work and then hopefully get rid of the DRS. These decisions aren't made over a weekend so it's still possible it could happen, although I personally wouldn't bet any money on it.