F1 2023 Season

pauldyson1uk

Saudi Arabia's Jeddah Corniche Circuit has been handed the prize role of hosting the season opener in 2024, it has emerged.

The venue held its inaugural Grand Prix in in 2021 as the penultimate race of the season, but was moved up to second place on the schedule for 2022 and 2023 following on from the opening race in Bahrain.

Organisers of the Saudi Arabia GP had asked to move the race even earlier in the year for 2024 to avoid a clash with Ramadan religious observance, which in Saudi Arabia begins on Sunday 10 March and lasts until 8 April.

Saudi Arabia set to host 2024 Formula 1 season opener (f1i.com)

Relfy

No question Lando is going to be eyeing up a McLaren exit to replace Hamilton or Perez, whichever needs replacing first. Losing Seidl just another reminder McLaren are gone and not coming back any time soon.
I'd imagine he is the logical choice for any team at the front end of the grid if they're looking to replace a driver over the next couple of years.

pauldyson1uk

Aston Martin are the first to announce when the world will get the first glimpse of their new challenger, with the covers set to come off the car – which will be called the AMR23 – on Monday, February 13th, at 7pm GMT.

flameinthesun

Congratulation in advanced for Max Verstappen WDC 2023.
Think it was Scarbs or maybe someone else who mentioned the issue isn't with the side pods, but rather how they desigined the suspension and floor. Think they may be going the red bull route of a pull rod suspension. The car is fast when it wants to be and there is more juice in the engine to pull out, they just need to get it right.

pauldyson1uk

Think it was Scarbs or maybe someone else who mentioned the issue isn't with the side pods, but rather how they desigined the suspension and floor. Think they may be going the red bull route of a pull rod suspension. The car is fast when it wants to be and there is more juice in the engine to pull out, they just need to get it right.
You beat me too it, personally I think Mercedes will be much better than last season, they showed in some races they were equal to RB maybe slightly better.

vangagal

That post was half joking but so much detail analysis about this year Merc's car has been written and i'm well aware off it. We shall see next year whether its a good car like they believe it would be or just another terrible car with so much excuse all over it.

pauldyson1uk

Audi says it will bring in a development driver later this year to help with its F1 preparations and the progress of its 2026 power unit.

Audi will join Grand Prix racing's grid in three years, the Ingolstadt firm developing its own F1 engine while it will work in partnership with Sauber in which it will acquire a stake for the development of its chassis.

The manufacturer's F1 boss Adam Baker says its way too early for Audi to discuss its potential driver line-up for 2026 although it will rely on a development driver to conduct its all-important simulator work at its base at Neuburg.

Asked if Audi would be seeking to hire German talent, Baker made clear that the priority would be on performance rather than nationality.

"It would be attractive, of course, but for us the performance of the drivers has priority," the Audi F1 boss told the Deutsche Presse-Agentur, insisting that driver selection was still "too far away".

"We’re not even talking about the drivers for 2024 yet, so it’s very difficult to say how the driver market will develop for 2026.

"[We will] bring a development driver on board in the third quarter [of 2023], who will be particularly important for our power unit development in the driving simulator in Neuburg".

Audi's first high-profile hiring for its F1 project was Andreas Seidl, who was unexpectedly poached from McLaren last month and who has been installed at Sauber's headquarters at Hinwil where the German will oversee the Swiss outfit's collaboration with its partner and investor.

But more hirings are underway insist to Baker.

"We are already internationally positioned here at the site and the recruiting process is also geared in this way," he explained.

"We are specifically approaching subject matter experts who already have Formula 1 experience.

"This is the first time since 2009 that a power unit has been developed in Germany. Therefore, if we want experienced personnel, we are more likely to find them in the UK, France or Italy."

dinostar77

Reading that Mercedes are sticking with the zero pods, reports that they are redesigning the suspension and floor.
The suspension was the big flaw of last season. Though the thought of them retaining the slim sidepods is worrying for the competitativeness of the season to come.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The suspension was the big flaw of last season. Though the thought of them retaining the slim sidepods is worrying for the competitativeness of the season to come.
The sidepods are just one part of the aero system. One of their biggest problems last season was high drag. If they can overcome that, including a redesigned suspension, they should be more competitive.

dinostar77

The sidepods are just one part of the aero system. One of their biggest problems last season was high drag. If they can overcome that, including a redesigned suspension, they should be more competitive.
Yes i agree, however it is concerning that no other team (and i will place my bets now for pre season testing) will go with the slim side pod design. It will be copies of the RB/Ferrari solutions.

I get why they would go down this path (the temptation of the "legendary amounts of downforce"), however the top aero people at RB/Ferrari ruled that out as unachievable. Like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Then Mercedes have to hope that the revised suspension / floor will increase the operating window for the car and get the tyres upto optimal temps quicker and in 1 lap.

Its alot of if/buts and maybes. Maybe they will have porposing again?

Safe bet would be to copy RB design and evolve it.

Pre season is going to be interesting....

ArjenIsM3

Yes i agree, however it is concerning that no other team (and i will place my bets now for pre season testing) will go with the slim side pod design. It will be copies of the RB/Ferrari solutions.

I get why they would go down this path (the temptation of the "legendary amounts of downforce"), however the top aero people at RB/Ferrari ruled that out as unachievable. Like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Then Mercedes have to hope that the revised suspension / floor will increase the operating window for the car and get the tyres upto optimal temps quicker and in 1 lap.

Its alot of if/buts and maybes. Maybe they will have porposing again?

Safe bet would be to copy RB design and evolve it.

Pre season is going to be interesting....
Nobody is copying the Merc design because Merc haven't been able to unleash its potential. If Merc fix their car this year and it's suddenly the quickest car on the grid (could well be) you can be sure teams will be copying the design next year. Teams can no longer research completely different concepts because of the limited CFD, wind tunnel time and budget cap. There's an interview by AMuS with Newey where he speaks about this, even specifically about copying the Mercedes design. It's behind a paywall but it can be found on multiple sites including here:

pauldyson1uk

Six Sprints :(
Not only do we have 24 Grands Prix to look forward to in 2023, but six Sprint events too.

Sprints are 100km dashes to the line that take place on Saturday, ensuring action across the weekend, and setting the grid for Sunday’s Grand Prix. We’ll see Sprints take place in Azerbaijan (Baku City Circuit), Austria (Red Bull Ring), Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps), Qatar (Lusail Circuit), the United States (Circuit of The Americas) and Sao Paulo (Interlagos).

There will be a couple of changes this season, with DRS activation to be brought forward by one lap at the start of Sprints and Safety Car restarts within Sprints, as part of a trial by the FIA, who are also bringing in some parc ferme and damage allowance changes.

pauldyson1uk

Yes the suspension was the problem along with the floor I think, I don't think its a case of the zero pods not working, its more a case of them not working with the suspension and floor set up has it was, they showed glimpses last season they could make it work, if they get all 3 working together, then Mercedes could have a very good car, but can they get it working at all tracks is the big question.

arthurka

Six Sprints :(
Not only do we have 24 Grands Prix to look forward to in 2023, but six Sprint events too.

Sprints are 100km dashes to the line that take place on Saturday, ensuring action across the weekend, and setting the grid for Sunday’s Grand Prix. We’ll see Sprints take place in Azerbaijan (Baku City Circuit), Austria (Red Bull Ring), Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps), Qatar (Lusail Circuit), the United States (Circuit of The Americas) and Sao Paulo (Interlagos).

There will be a couple of changes this season, with DRS activation to be brought forward by one lap at the start of Sprints and Safety Car restarts within Sprints, as part of a trial by the FIA, who are also bringing in some parc ferme and damage allowance changes.

Who asked for more sprints? It really doesn't do much for anyone.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Who asked for more sprints? It really doesn't do much for anyone.
I don't understand why is it 6 ? Seems arbitrary and like they're still not sure if it's s good idea. Either do it at every race or none at all. Imagine the FA saying at certain points of the year you get extra pts for a win :houllier:

arthurka

I don't understand why is it 6 ? Seems arbitrary and like they're still not sure if it's s good idea. Either do it at every race or none at all. Imagine the FA saying at certain points of the year you get extra pts for a win :houllier:
I don't get it, nobody likes this

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I dont hate the sprints, I just 'hate' that they're no different than a normal Sunday race. It's just a shortened version.

They should do something different, and it should be a stand alone race that doesn't effect Sunday's positions.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I dont hate the sprints, I just 'hate' that they're no different than a normal Sunday race. It's just a shortened version.

They should do something different, and it should be a stand alone race that doesn't effect Sunday's positions.
yeah. like naked pit crews. or make them race on really small tyres, like mariokart.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
yeah. like naked pit crews. or make them race on really small tyres, like mariokart.
lets have f1 swingers. All chuck your keys into a hat and lucky dip who gets what car.

Rooney1987

I’m glad it’s just 6 to be honest the way they’re doubling down on this even with fans and teams hating this I thought it’d be way more.

ArjenIsM3

Interesting news and a smart move from Andretti in teaming up with GM, this should get at least one more engine manufacturer (or even constructor) from the States into the sport as well.
Think they're too late to enter as a new engine manufacturer for 2026.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'd love a daft American big block car going sideways round every corner :lol:

F-Red

Think they're too late to enter as a new engine manufacturer for 2026.
The 2026 deadline isn't that relevant in the point of a GM competitor, there will opportunities post 2026 for more engine manufacturers to come in.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance

I think they should do the sprint on the course backwards

We need an rvn

Interesting news and a smart move from Andretti in teaming up with GM, this should get at least one more engine manufacturer (or even constructor) from the States into the sport as well.
I know American road cars are very different from an F1 car and 100% sure if they entered that a US based team could build an F1 car if they wanted to enter etc.

But slight change of topic, how are American sports cars compared to their European counter parts these days? I the past they were v8 muscle cars that were great for speed and power but handled like shite. Are the new corvettes or mustangs on par with a prancing horse or lambo or is it still more about power and noise. I guess I'm kinda comparing Daytona to F1 and that Daytona is still much bigger in the states compared to F1...