5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canagel

He looks good with the ball in his feet, but watching a few Shakhtar games I thought he was a defensive dynamo, stealing balls everywhere. With us it looks like he has trouble covering ground and reaching the ball due to his petite size, its weird. He even looked bigger in Shakhtar, heh.
Because at Shakhtar his job was to sit in front of the back 4 with another DM but he was the more attack minded one showing a good eye for through balls and helping the team to transition quickly from defence to attack. I imagine he would be top class with a player like Kante for example.
At United he plays as number 8 and has to create more. It's not really his game. City use D Silva in the same position.

He looks good with the ball in his feet, but watching a few Shakhtar games I thought he was a defensive dynamo, stealing balls everywhere. With us it looks like he has trouble covering ground and reaching the ball due to his petite size, its weird. He even looked bigger in Shakhtar, heh.
It's pretty much impossible in the modern game to cover ground quickly enough as a lone ball winner. Teams just play in triangles around you. With Matic so static this season and Pogba up the pitch he is pretty much on his own when he plays, just as Herrera was against City. I think he would be much better playing with Herrera, but Mourinho refuses to drop Matic and there's a serious lack of height between them.

Johan07

Because at Shakhtar his job was to sit in front of the back 4 with another DM but he was the more attack minded one showing a good eye for through balls and helping the team to transition quickly from defence to attack. I imagine he would be top class with a player like Kante for example.
At United he plays as number 8 and has to create more. It's not really his game. City use D Silva in the same position.
Its correct that Fred played in a double pivot at Shakhtar.
His partner was almost always Taras Stepanenko, Shakhtar´s captain. And its also correct that Stepanenko was the more defensive-minded, but there was not much of a difference.
The player stylistically (and talent-wise) closest to Stepanenko in todays United squad is probably Herrera.
I believe Fred suffers in the same way as Pogba playing as a #8 in a defensive-oriented 4-3-3 as Mourinho`s is.
They are both best on the ball, with plenty of options in front of them, which is just not happening for us playing a counterattacking system as we do now.
The comparison to David Silva is interesting, I think Fred would do well there for City and that is probably the role Guardiola wanted him to compete for. But playing as a #8 for Pep and playing #8 for Mourinho is two completely different things. Non-comparable.
IMO we should switch back to a double pivot and have Pogba playing together with either Fred or Herrera. It is what suits all of those players the best in the defensive system as we play today. And it would still have a resemblance of a modern mobile CM-setup.
Matic needs to be a demoted to a squad player immediately.
Play Lingard as #10 or even Mata or Fellaini depending on the opposition, and we would actually be using our players to their strenghts.
IMO.

Bwuk

Would give him a chance as a double Pivot 4231 w/ Pogba but to be honest I don't see him making it here. Not sure what he adds that we don't currently have.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would give him a chance as a double Pivot 4231 w/ Pogba but to be honest I don't see him making it here. Not sure what he adds that we don't currently have.
He quickens the tempo for starters. He clearly wants to press and win the ball back.

At home to Wolves we played a much quicker tempo, he scored and played well. He just doesn't play cautiously like Mourinho wants.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I liked what I saw in a compilation of his Shakhtar days. I think he'd thrive under a more attack-oriented manager. It's just hard to judge him under Mourinho.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Against Bournemouth, in the first half alone he won the ball back 5 times so he's doing the defensive work well
I wouldn't necessarily say he's doing the defensive work well. He's pressing well and winning the ball back quite a lot, but equally the opposition are able to play the ball around him and break while he's out of position.

That's the big issue. Fred is used to a high pressing system, and indeed from Mourinho's comments it sounds like he wants us to start pressing a lot more higher up the pitch (hence why we bought him). But the rest of the team aren't really doing that, and you can't have only one player pressing else he ends up breaking the defensive structure. Mourinho needs to decide on one or the other. If he wants to sit deep like we have been for the last couple of years, then Fred is going to struggle with us. If he does indeed want to start pressing higher then Matic needs to be dropped because he doesn't suit that system. Possibly Lukaku as well, especially in his current form although if he gets back to top form he might be ok.

Changing to a high pressing system might cause us some issues in the short-term, but the more we play it the better it should work. Hopefully Mourinho bites the bullet soon and does it.

yfoFC

I wouldn't necessarily say he's doing the defensive work well. He's pressing well and winning the ball back quite a lot, but equally the opposition are able to play the ball around him and break while he's out of position.

That's the big issue. Fred is used to a high pressing system, and indeed from Mourinho's comments it sounds like he wants us to start pressing a lot more higher up the pitch (hence why we bought him). But the rest of the team aren't really doing that, and you can't have only one player pressing else he ends up breaking the defensive structure. Mourinho needs to decide on one or the other. If he wants to sit deep like we have been for the last couple of years, then Fred is going to struggle with us. If he does indeed want to start pressing higher then Matic needs to be dropped because he doesn't suit that system. Possibly Lukaku as well, especially in his current form although if he gets back to top form he might be ok.

Changing to a high pressing system might cause us some issues in the short-term, but the more we play it the better it should work. Hopefully Mourinho bites the bullet soon and does it.
Well said, now let's see what the gaffer does..

Ekeke

Comparing his stats to how he performed in the champions league last season, the first thing that jumps out is that he made lots of dribbles in that competition last season but doesn't dribble for us at all this season.

Other than that he's not a million miles away from doing what he was doing when we decided to pay £50 million for him. .7 less tackles a game, .3 less key passes, but on the other hand .1 more interceptions and dribbled past a lot less - from 2.8 times per game at Shakhter to .3 at United. He's also losing the ball less.

He's struggling with the physicality of the premier league, I'm sure thats why he isnt as confident to run with the ball as he often looks a bit lightweight and loses his balance in our matches. Hopefully in time hes stronger on the ball.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Comparing his stats to how he performed in the champions league last season, the first thing that jumps out is that he made lots of dribbles in that competition last season but doesn't dribble for us at all this season.

Other than that he's not a million miles away from doing what he was doing when we decided to pay £50 million for him. .7 less tackles a game, .3 less key passes, but on the other hand .1 more interceptions and dribbled past a lot less - from 2.8 times per game at Shakhter to .3 at United. He's also losing the ball less.

He's struggling with the physicality of the premier league, I'm sure thats why he isnt as confident to run with the ball as he often looks a bit lightweight and loses his balance in our matches. Hopefully in time hes stronger on the ball.
I'd like us to have more faith in him and I do think he looks a talented football, but all in all, I currently feel a tad disappointed we spent 50 million on a midfielder and didn't get one of those ones with impeccable technical gifts.

Alabaster Codify7

Well when you've chosen to populate your team with massive, slow players, you shouldn't be surprised if they are unable to implement a fast pressing strategy. He's literally making it up as he goes along.

JoaquinJoaquin

What was the point of signing Fred if he won't even play him at home against Palace? Looks like another player that will be moved on in 2 years, to then be a star for someone else.

James Peril

What was the point of signing Fred if he won't even play him at home against Palace? Looks like another player that will be moved on in 2 years, to then be a star for someone else.
Which unused players left United and became stars? I can’t think of a single one.

0le

Pogba, Memphis, Zaha, Rossi
Bit of a stretch calling the last three stars. You could however, have added Pique to the list of stars alongside Pogba. I'd say Rossi, Zaha and Forlan are a tier below.

Ekeke

Bit of a stretch calling the last three stars. You could however, have added Pique to the list of stars alongside Pogba. I'd say Rossi, Zaha and Forlan are a tier below.
They were stars for their teams. And Rossi was a star for his country, would have been more-so if not for injuries

Pique did play for us and Sir Alex did want to keep him so theres not much we could have done

KennyBurner

Are we still "easing" him in? Hope mourinho starts him since he promised last interview that there will be a huge shakeup.

Man Utd 1:0 Young Boys

el3mel

He sure brings lots of energy to the midfield far more the snails we have here.

However, imo he's very erratic and chaos footballer and feels like he over hits every touch imo.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How predictable was it that we'd take off our only creative midfielder?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was our best player so of course take him off because he was creating openings. Cant have 2 players in midfield who take risks on the ball right?

el3mel

He’s reminds me of Anderson a bit. He’s all over the place. An inferior player to Herrera.
Maybe he'll improve this chaotic hits but I doubt it. Looks like his style in general, too much energy and running around with pressure but over hitting almost every thing.

MetoTTT

Come on guys, just Mou will give him a run of games and time to adapt to the EPL. The lad can do it here. The lack of confidence of all United players is unbelievable these days. Lindelöf was the same hate here.

the_irish123

Maybe he'll improve this chaotic hits but I doubt it. Looks like his style in general, too much energy and running around with pressure but over hitting almost every thing.
He was hitting almost all of his passes. Don't get why would you call him erratic today.

el3mel

He was hitting almost all of his passes. Don't get why would you call him erratic today.
Because I wasn't impressed with them all honestly. His efforts and running while pressing is great but I'm not going to say the same about his passing.

Of course, compared to the snails we have in midfield nowadays he'll like like a fresh air for us but I'm pretty sure a run in the team and we'll start getting more annoyed with this.

acnumber9

Feels like another player are fans are overrating on the basis that he isn’t one of the boo boys. Does some good things but does a lot of very shit things.

Eddy_JukeZ

I thought he was pretty good the 1st half.

Best he's looked for us.

Though he can be very erratic.

Andersons Dietician

He was pretty good, can see why he was wanted at City, would fit in well with how they play but thought he helped us maintain a control over the game and when he came off we lost that. Needs others that will move off him and around and give him options.

Status
Not open for further replies.